Unofficial Portkey Archive

One Night Long by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

One Night Long

Heaven

Thanks to all you guys who took the time to review! I'm really happy you guys are all enjoying this story so far! I listed everyone who reviewed at the bottom, if I missed you please forgive me! I promise to list you next time! :D

As always, thanks to research_dome for her fabulous beta job! This story wouldn't be nearly as Brit without her help! ;)

Chapter 3

"Hmmm," Hermione thought for a minute. "I know!" she exclaimed, jumping out of the booth and grabbing his hand. "We have to go over by Westminster!"

"What's over there?" Harry asked as she pulled him out of the pub and back across the Tower Bridge.

"The London Eye!" Hermione replied excitedly. "I've only been on it once and that was a long time ago… you're going to love it!"

Harry allowed himself to be yanked along behind her as they got back on the Underground and rode across seven different stops until they got off near Westminster.

"Is that…" he looked up at the gigantic Ferris Wheel.

"The London Eye," Hermione answered. "Come on!" she paid for two tickets and they got into one of the cars. "We're lucky; usually there are tons of people in line for this. Everyone must be at supper by now." It was already close to sunset.

"Uh huh," Harry answered, suddenly feeling queasy. He sat down next to Hermione, who was bouncing on the seat like a young child. "Uh… how far up does this go?"

"About 135 metres, I believe." Hermione answered, looking out the window as the car began to rise up. She got off the seat and stood by the door, looking down as the car got higher and higher. "Harry come and see the city!"

"Um… no that's okay." Harry replied. Hermione finally turned around and for the first time noticed that Harry was really quite pale.

"What's wrong?" she asked, concerned.

"Well…" Harry felt stupid. "I… I really hate heights."

"What?" Hermione looked dumbstruck. "You… YOU are afraid of heights? Harry if you hate heights why do you play Quidditch?"

"When I'm on a broom I'm fine! I have total control!" Harry defended himself. "On this… what if the car falls off and goes crashing to the ground or something?"

Hermione tried not to laugh but failed miserably. "Oh Harry, I'm sorry," she said when she saw the annoyed look on his face. "These cars are held by the strongest cables in the world. I don't think a giant could rip them off, much less have them fall off on their own. This machine is very well maintained, trust me," she sat down and squeezed his hand.

"I do better on the ground," he mumbled but he smiled back at her. "Well, now you know something about me that no one else in the world knows… I'm afraid of heights."

"Oh so you WERE lying earlier about the bananas!" Hermione shot back, but she was laughing. "I KNEW it!"

"No I wasn't!" Harry replied. "I've never told anyone else that I like bananas, but only because no one's ever ASKED me if I like bananas!"

"Honestly," Hermione tried to look huffy but she was still laughing. She got up and went back to the window. "Come and look Harry, I promise we won't fall!" they were now very near the top of the Eye.

"All right," Harry got up and inched over to where she stood. "This isn't so bad," he said, looking out at the city but not looking down.

"See?" Hermione said happily. At that moment, the Eye gave a lurch and their car stuck at the very top and didn't move.

"What was that?" Harry asked, feeling suddenly panicked.

"I don't know," Hermione peered down. "I think we're stuck…"

"Stuck?" Harry asked, his face going ashen as he sat back down.

"It's all right Harry," Hermione said calmly. "This does happen sometimes, it doesn't mean that we're going to fall, or anything is really wrong."

"Are you sure?" He asked, still pale.

"I'm totally, absolutely, undeniably positive," Hermione replied, sitting next to him. She looked at his profile and felt something in her stomach turn at the scared little boy look. Leaning forward, she cupped his chin in her hand and brushed her lips over his cheek in a soft, reassuring kiss.

Harry felt her lips and turned to look at her, surprised to see her face still so close to his. Their eyes met and he could feel soft puffs of her breath on his face. Harry felt his hand moving up to caress her skin, and then Hermione's eyes fluttered closed. He looked at her for a long moment then leaned in and touched his lips to hers.

Hermione felt his mouth brush against hers as his fingers slid around to tangle in her thick mass of hair. Their noses bumped and they pulled away and laughed softly.

"I've been wanting to do that for awhile now," Harry said, his fingers still moving in her hair.

"Me too," Hermione replied. He grinned again and moved back in, covering her mouth with his again. Harry kissed her firmly as she slid her arms around his neck. It soon grew more passionate and he touched the tip of his tongue to her lips, and she immediately opened up to him, pushing her mouth harder against his.

Harry let out a soft groan as her fingers ran through his hair. He swept his tongue through her mouth, easing her down on the hard plastic seat. He pulled one hand from her locks and moved it down her side, his fingers trailing over her jumper.

Hermione suppressed a quiver as she felt his hand move over her body. 'Merlin's beard… I think I'm falling in love with Harry Potter…'

The Eye gave another lurch and the car began moving back down towards the ground. Harry and Hermione broke apart and sat up, grinning sheepishly at one another. She blushed and straightened out her sweater, aware that her lips were very swollen at the moment.

"Sorry," Harry said, running his thumb over her lower lip.

"For what?" Hermione asked, sliding over closer to him. "That was nice,"

"Just nice?" Harry teased, putting his arm around her. "I think that was damn near the best snog I've ever had."

"Me too," Hermione leaned her head on his shoulder. They stayed that way until their car reached the ground and Harry was first to jump out.

"This is where I like my feet!" He announced, stamping both of them on the cement.

Hermione laughed and thanked the vendor. "Come on, Braveheart," she kidded. Harry made a face at her and threw his arm around her shoulders.

"I'll bet I look better in a kilt than he does," he replied.

"Ooh, want to back that up?" Hermione said.

"Not really," Harry smirked back and gave her a quick kiss. They walked back towards Westminster, chatting casually. The sun dipped completely down behind the horizon and Hermione shivered at the loss of heat. "Cold?" Harry wrapped both his arms around her.

"A little," Hermione replied, leaning into his embrace. He rubbed her arms briskly.

"How about going for some coffee?" he asked.

"That would be wonderful," Hermione snuggled against him as they walked down the street. They stopped at the first café they saw.

"I think there's only outside tables," Harry looked at her apologetically.

"It's all right," Hermione answered. "Once I get something warm inside me I'll be fine."

"Is that so?" Harry asked, giving her a wicked smile. "I'm pretty warm you know," Hermione smacked his shoulder.

"I didn't mean that!" she said, but she was grinning. "Maybe later," she teased and Harry laughed.

"I going to remember what you told me just now," he said as they sat down.

"You do that," she said back as they moved their chairs so they were next to one another. A waitress came over and they both ordered regular strong coffees.

Harry took her slim hand in his and squeezed it, trying to warm her up. "Can I tell you a secret?" he asked.

"Sure," Hermione replied. He pulled her closer to him but instead of whispering in her ear he turned and kissed her gently on the lips. Hermione smiled, using her other hand to run her thumb along his jaw line. He pressed small, soft kisses on her mouth; then finally pulled back and rested his forehead on hers.

"I can't believe it was only earlier today we had never met before," Harry said.

Hermione laughed, her eyes still closed. "It seems like two weeks ago now. A lot has happened since then," she opened her eyes and he grinned and gave her another quick kiss.

They pulled apart but Hermione still leaned against him as the waitress brought them their coffee. As she sipped the hot drink, her eyes watched a fortune teller make her way around the tables, reading people's palms. "Look," she nudged Harry's shoulder. "Divination…"

Harry rolled his eyes and grinned at her. "I didn't take you for the type to be interested in that sort of thing," he said.

"Oh I'm not," Hermione replied. "But I do think it's funny to watch them walk around and act like they really can predict what will happen in the future." At that moment, the other woman turned and her eyes met Hermione's.

The fortune teller wore her hair in jet black cascading waves down to the waist and she had tiny bangs that framed her open features. Her eyes were doe-like and had a twinkle of sincerity behind them. She wore a maroon gown that was beaded on the sleeves and the neckline. Her long skirt was of the same colour and was beaded throughout as well.

She began making her way over to Harry and Hermione's table. Once she was standing directly in front of them, she stopped and took a bow. "I am Madame Tanya," she said, standing back up. "Which of your palms will I be reading tonight?"

"Mine," Hermione piped up, clearly amused. "How much?"

"Ten pounds for you," Madame Tanya said, sitting down in a chair.

"All right," Hermione said, shooting a look at Harry. He wore a smirk as he sat back.

"Give me your hand," Madame Tanya said, offering hers. Hermione placed her palm in the other woman's and she began to run her finger over the lines. "I see you with another man this evening… you have decided to spend one night together and one night only."

Harry's eyes widened and Hermione turned to look at him. "Wow," she mouthed and he nodded.

Madame Tanya suddenly smiled and leaned over to Hermione. "I have already seen as well that you have fallen in love with this man," she whispered so only Hermione could hear. "This night will mark in a momentous occasion for both of you," she then said, in a normal voice. She smiled at Hermione and got up, her dress swishing as she walked away.

"Well," Hermione said finally. "A momentous occasion?"

"That's such a safe bet," Harry replied. "That's the most general statement those fortune tellers can make. It's like saying a person will win a lottery or a contest…"

"But what about her knowing we are only spending tonight together?" Hermione countered.

"Lucky guess," Harry replied. "Besides, I thought you didn't like Divination."

"I don't," Hermione said. "But that doesn't dispute the fact that she knew about our night."

"Like I said, lucky guess- people like that have general things to tell people that are vague enough to be true. Sometimes they hit one on the mark and other times they don't." Harry argued.

"Honestly, it was all in good fun, I don't know why you're overanalyzing it." Hermione gave him a challenging look.

"I'm not overanalyzing it!" Harry protested.

"You are too," Hermione said.

"I am not!" Harry replied.

"You are too!" Hermione said louder.

"I am NOT!" Harry nearly shouted.

"You are too," Hermione replied in the same pert tone she had used earlier that day. "And now we're acting like children."

"We are not!" Harry said, taking a large gulp of coffee.

"Are you going to disagree with me on everything for the rest of the night now?" Hermione asked.

"No," Harry replied quickly.

"You just did," Hermione pointed out.

"No I didn't!" Harry exclaimed.

"You just did it again," Hermione tried hard not to smile.

"I did…" Harry saw the corner of her mouth quirk up and grinned. "What are we fighting about?"

"I don't know," Hermione was laughing. "But you were so cute and pouty!"

"Well I've found that being cute and pouty will get me what I want," Harry replied.

"Oh? And what is it you want right now Mr. Potter?" Hermione teased.

"Come here and I'll tell you," Harry said, leaning over to her. She smiled, knowing exactly what he wanted, and was proved right seconds later when he started kissing her. His tongue flicked across her lower lip and Hermione willingly opened her mouth to him, his thumb making its move stroking over her cheek again.

She let out a soft sigh into his mouth and it was in that instant Harry realised he was falling in love with Hermione. He was falling in love, and he liked it.

"Come on," he said, finally breaking apart. "Let's finish the coffee and walk around some more," Harry squeezed her hand.

"All right," Hermione said, trying to regain her breath. They drained their cups and Harry pulled her body next to his as they left the café.

"Still cold?" he asked.

"No," Hermione replied.

"Ah, so I can take my arm down now?" Harry asked.

"Don't you dare!" Hermione said. She snuggled herself into him and held onto his arm.

Special thanks to all of you who reviewed so far on both chapters: Toodle Pip, prue 1912(2), the bear of pooh, ItalianSoccerChick89, dave gerecke(2), rodrigo(2), spaz 141(2), stargazer, SummrMagic, KypDurron(2), Sarmi, laurie, traydr vic, VanillaPuF Felton(2), bamaslamma29(2), VWChica, Deer Run Sonata, Muddgutts, emerald(2), Afiz(2), mistake, james, Soch(2), quietlylurking, star, Muirnin(2), LeBoshi(2), Hame(2), romulus lupin(2), knight-that-says-ni(2), Starburst12, harryherm84(2), Caramella(2), coriander(2), Julian Smith, Talion, Larissa, Nappa, Justanother_H/H fan, Naveah, The Sweetest Things, Nutmeg0115, Fiona, CryHope, SilverFoot, Euro, flowerchild861206, Kaze, phoenixwriter, RonRoxLover, Blue Magic, crazeecuteexo, gal-texter, Syzygy, cheering charm(2), Vivi, Kathryn Mason-Sykes, szelij, RavenclawChrissie(2), hermy4life(2), ted, Arwen Urodumiel(2), hpfanharry, mkandashluver, harryandhermione4ever-38(2), Padfoot(2), Lady Enelya, myman-harry 526(2), silmarien(2), Moony2187(2), midnite star watcher, Angel(2), justcallmeronnie(2), coolone007(2), Sami Potter(2), Muse, Angyl Grrl, Softballgrl89(2), Ignited Gonja Cat(2), britt, BAD BOY HARRY, Hermione(2), alexia gold, Daisie(2), David M. Potter, Feather0311, Angel Star194(2), The White Wolf, REALbluelightsaber, annonymissimo, Cresent MoonB, Princess Sarcastica, Sirius Voldemort, KrystinePotterLover, Maren L P, firestar9096, and S'Eleene Paris.

Thanks so much everyone! I promise to have the next chapter out at week's end! :D