Unofficial Portkey Archive

Circle of Life by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Circle of Life

Heaven

Chapter 2

A/N: I feel it necessary to explain here that chapter two starts up six years later Harry is seven years old.

Special thanks to Amynoelle and Truffles for their help in this chapter!

Harry Potter turned, still deep in sleep when the incessant shrieking of his alarm clock woke him up.

"What…" he muttered, reaching his hand over to turn it off. Once it had stopped, he remembered why he'd set it for so early.

"Dad!" Harry exclaimed excitedly, putting his footed pyjama feet out of the bed and racing out of his room. His father had agreed to show him his future kingdom that day, they would stand up on the balcony tower and he would point out each and every thing.

Harry had been waiting for this moment for what seemed like all of his seven year old life. He barged into his parents' room without knocking and proceeded to fly directly onto the bed.

"Dad!" Harry pounced on his father. "Dad wake up! It's morning and you said you'd take me to the tower!" He shook his dad, who was valiantly trying to cling to sleep.

"Your son is awake," Lily murmured.

"At this time of morning, he's your son," James muttered back and then groaned as Harry jumped onto his stomach.

"Come on dad! You promised," Harry glared angrily at his father who finally opened his eyes.

"All right, all right you little bugger." James sat up, yawning enormously. "I'm up."

"YEAH!" Harry fell off the bed in his enthusiasm. He popped back up immediately and grinned at his mother. "Good morning Mum," he said, running to her side for his hug.

"Good morning Harry," Lily pulled her son close. "You're getting as bad as your father with these wake up calls," she teased.

Harry grinned back up at her and Lily felt her heart beat faster. Her son was truly her pride and joy, the brightest thing in her life. She knew James felt the same way.

"Come on dad!" Harry was trying to drag his half dressed father out of the room. "I've been waiting all morning already!"

"You just got up two minutes before you were in here," James pointed out, disappearing into his closet for a moment and coming out fully dressed in his scarlet and gold robes. "Now I've got to wait for you to get yourself ready."

Harry cast his father a furious glare that made James burst out laughing. Lily turned the other way so Harry wouldn't see her grinning as well before he turned and ran out of the room.

"He's certainly a bundle of energy isn't he," Lily said.

"Too right you are," James replied. "Well I'd better go get him before he tears the room up,"

"We'll all have breakfast together when the two of you get back," Lily answered, sliding into her robe.

James got a now dressed Harry from his room and they headed up for the balcony tower. The sun was half risen by the time they reached the top and James took Harry over near the edge.

"Everything you see out there is our land Harry," James said after several minutes. "Someday, when I'm gone, that will be your kingdom. You'll have to rule it fairly."

"I will," Harry replied, looking in awe at everything beneath them. "Dad we live really high up!"

James laughed. "Well we are on top of a very tall tower Harry; the castle actually isn't so high."

Harry peered down again, watching as several shopkeepers came out to set up for the day. He watched the baker set out fresh loaves of bread in the window and the open door let out tantalizing scents that just barely reached his nose. The sun glinted on the glass of the Quidditch shop and he could see the newest model broom on display.

"Dad what's that place over there that looks so dark?" Harry pointed to a long stretch of shadowy grey that the sunlight did not seem to hit.

"That's Knockturn Alley Harry," James replied. "It's a dangerous place, and I don't even want to hear of you going there."

"Why is it dangerous?" Harry asked curiously.

"I don't want you going there." James ignored the last question. "Come on, let's go back down and have breakfast with your mum, and then we can go take our walk around down there."

"Yeah!" Harry forgot about Knockturn Alley… for now.

*** *** ***

"Why is it that we always have to play school, you're always the teacher, and you make me sit here and do stupid school assignments?" Ron Weasley glared at Hermione Granger. "We're on holiday; I don't want to do schoolwork!"

"We're just playing!" Seven year old Hermione put her hands on her hips and glared back. "You never get so mad when Harry's around!"

"That's because Harry and I can talk together while you pretend you're some professor!" Ron shot back. Hermione narrowed her eyes and snatched her play workbook away from him.

"Then go find Harry and play with him!" she snapped back angrily.

"He's out with his dad this morning," Ron replied shortly. "And my mum told me I have to stay with you until he comes back."

Hermione glared at him again as Ron turned his back to her, muttering some unflattering remark. 'He acts more like he's three than seven,' she thought, and then an evil idea occurred to her.

Sneaking back over to her bag, Hermione retrieved a glass jar with a large spider she'd found near one of the windows that morning. She liked to keep specimens of all kind in her bedroom, in one jar she had a grasshopper and in another a blue bell flame that Lily had conjured for her.

Unscrewing the lid, she picked up the spider and dropped it on Ron's shoulder. Smiling, Hermione backed away and replaced the jar in her bag, then went back to her play workbooks, her head bent down as if she was working hard.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" the scream a moment later told her Ron had discovered the spider. Biting down on her lower lip so she wouldn't laugh, Hermione glanced up with a look of innocence.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"SPIDER!" Ron was dancing around the room trying to get it off without actually having to touch it. "GET IT OFF!" he screamed.

Queen Lily and Molly Weasley rushed into the room at that moment, Molly rushing to her son while Hermione fished her glass jar back out of her bag.

"Here, I can trap it in this," Hermione offered calmly, coming forward with the jar.

"Thank you dear," Lily responded, taking it while Molly held Ron still. Lily scooped the spider back into the jar and handed it to Hermione with a secret smile.

"She put that on me!" Ron accused, pointing at Hermione.

"Honestly Ron," Mrs. Weasley straightened his robes. "Why would Hermione do something like that?"

"Because she hates me," Ron replied, burying his face in his mother's shoulder.

Hermione shrugged, still keeping her innocent look. "Of course I don't hate you Ron. I was just trying to play school with you when you started screaming like that."

Mrs. Weasley looked down at her youngest son. "Ronald, you be nice and play with Hermione. Harry will be back soon enough!"

"That's right, he just went back up to the balcony tower with his father for a little while longer," Lily said, her hand resting on Hermione's shoulder.

Ron looked at Hermione who gave a tiny smirk back at him then turned and went back to her workbooks, tucking the spider into her bag.

*** *** ***

Harry was about to go down to the library but doubled back and went into the wing where his father's mentor lived instead.

"Tom?" he asked politely, knocking on the open door frame. Tom Riddle was hunched over his desk writing something and jumped when he heard the young prince.

"Yes, Harry?" he asked, forcing a smile onto his face as the child came into his room. He had to push the disgust down, keep it away lest any of them catch on.

"Guess what! My dad showed me the whole kingdom this morning!" Harry was excited to tell one of his favourite people about his day so far.

"Really!" Tom sat down on the bed and patted the spot next to him. "Tell me about it!"

"Well first we went up to the balcony tower and looked over at everything, and then after we had breakfast with my mum, Dad took me out in Diagon Alley! I've never been out there before!" Harry talked very fast.

"So he even showed you Knockturn Alley then?" Tom feigned a look of shock when Harry shook his head.

"No, that's the only place he wouldn't show me. He won't even tell me what's in there that makes it so bad."

"And how right he is! Young princes such as yourself have no place in Knockturn Alley! Why, the Dark Magic items they sell there could very well be the death of you!" Harry's eyes widened.

"Dark Magic items?" he asked. The Dark Arts were something both his parents refused to let him learn about. They told him once he got into Hogwarts he'd learn about it there, and not before.

"Oops," Tom covered his mouth. "I've gone and said too much, haven't I? Harry, let's let that be our little secret, all right?"

Harry nodded eagerly, happy to share something with a person he admired almost as much as his father.

"All right," Tom smiled at the boy and resisted the urge to squeeze his throat. "Now go on, I've got lots of work to do." Harry hugged him and turned to leave.

He was almost to the door when Tom's voice made him stop. "Remember Harry… it's our little secret now! Promise me you'll never, EVER go there!"

"No problem," Harry replied, his fingers crossed behind his back.

*** *** ***

Harry raced down the corridor towards the library where he knew Ron and Hermione would be waiting for him. He hoped Hermione wasn't going to make them play school again that day.

"Hey," he said, stopping short at the sullen look on Ron's face. "What's wrong?"

"She set a spider on me!" Ron exclaimed. "All because I told her how we hated to play school!"

Hermione looked up. "Do you really hate playing school?"

"Uh," Harry didn't know what to say. He really didn't like playing it but he didn't want to hurt Hermione's feelings. He liked her very very much. "It's all right, I guess. I just don't want to play it every day."

"Oh," Hermione looked down at her books.

"But listen," Harry motioned Ron over. "I found out about a really cool place today!"

"Really?" Hermione's curiosity was piqued. "Where is it?"

"Let's go to it and I'll tell you once we get there," Harry replied. The three of them left the library and were down in the main entryway when Lily saw them.

"Where are the three of you off to?" she asked.

"Uh…" Harry seemed at a loss for words again. "Just… somewhere out in the gardens."

"In the gardens? What's so great about the gardens?" Ron asked.

"I'll show you once we've gotten there," Harry replied through clenched teeth.

"Well just be careful," Lily said. She was keeping an extra close eye on Hermione while her parents were back in Lorandon settling their affairs.

"We will." Harry tugged on Hermione's hand as he pulled the heavy doors open.

"Also, Pettigrew will be going with you," Lily replied as they were about to step outside.

"No!" Harry replied as Ron and Hermione both made faces. "Come on Mum, he won't let us do anything fun!"

"You need someone to watch you," Lily insisted firmly. "Pettigrew!" she motioned to the butler. "Please go outside and keep an eye on the children."

"Yes your highness," Pettigrew bowed respectfully, and then followed the children outside. He stayed several paces following the children before bringing his wrist up to his face. "Sir, I've been ordered to follow the children,"

Tom's voice came quietly out of a magical receiver implanted in his silver cuff. "Lure them into Knockturn Alley. I've already set the trap for Harry, and my three best are waiting for them in there."

Ron tagged behind Harry and Hermione, who had their heads together while whispering furiously.

"Might I ask," Ron jumped as Pettigrew came up behind him. "What you plan to do once they're married?"

Ron stopped dead in his tracks as did Harry and Hermione. "What are you talking about?" Harry asked.

"You mean your parents never told you?" Pettigrew had a slight smirk on his face. "Prince Harry, you and Hermione will one day be married."

Harry looked at Hermione, who made a face. "I don't want to marry him!" she replied. "He's my friend."

"Same here," Harry answered, looking over at Ron who was sniggering at him. "It's way too weird to marry her."

"She'd probably make you play school all day then," Ron laughed. Hermione turned and glared at him.

"Look there's a big spider!" she pointed to a bush directly behind the redhead and Ron yelped, running away.

Harry doubled over with laughter as Hermione smirked at Ron and Pettigrew simply looked bored.

"Children, can we please go to the gardens so we can get back inside sooner?" he asked, checking his watch.

"You can go back inside," Harry replied. He thought Pettigrew was old and stodgy even though he was the same age as his parents.

"Unfortunately I can't. I'm under orders from the Queen to watch you," Pettigrew replied.

"Well I said you can go back inside," Hermione replied, her arms crossed. She and Ron disliked Pettigrew as well.

"I only take orders from the Queen, little girl." He replied.

"Well she's the future queen," Harry said loyally, sharing a grin with his friends.

"Not yet she isn't!" Pettigrew said, starting to grow annoyed. The three children all stood and glared up at him.

"You're not going to let us have any fun," Ron finally spoke.

"Listen," Pettigrew had just about had enough. "If you three want to go off and do something, go ahead. I won't tell the queen."

Harry raised a sceptical eyebrow. "You won't?" he asked, his tone laden with doubt.

"My word," Pettigrew held up his hand. "Just do whatever you want to do then come back here and we'll all go in together," he forced a smile onto his face; it wasn't hard thinking how pleased his master would be.

Harry still looked doubtful but then grabbed Hermione and Ron's hands. "Come on, let's go." The three children ran off and Pettigrew retreated into the gardens to confer with Tom Riddle.

*** *** ***

Harry held the castle gate open and Hermione and Ron slipped through. The three ran down the path leading into Diagon Alley, not wanting to look behind in case someone was coming to bring them back.

"We made it!" Ron exclaimed as they reached Diagon Alley. "Is this where you went with your dad this morning?"

"Yeah!" Harry was excited. "There's the Quidditch shop, and the bakery…" he pulled his friends along until they reached the long dark alleyway.

"What's down there?" Hermione asked, not liking the shadowy grey in front of them. She unconsciously moved closer to Harry, clutching his arm.

"That's Knockturn Alley," Harry replied. "Tom Riddle told me they sell Dark Arts objects in there."

Both Hermione and Ron's eyes grew wide as saucers. "Really?" they asked at once.

"It'll be cool to go down there," Harry said, feeling brave.

"I don't want to," Hermione replied. "It looks scary."

"Don't be so scared all the time Hermione," Ron said sarcastically. "It's only an alleyway." He mimicked her earlier tone with the spider.

"Shut up Ron," she answered. "Can we please go back to the castle? This isn't very fun anymore."

"Come on, just a few minutes in there and then we'll leave. I just want to see some Dark Arts things," Harry said.

Hermione bit her lower lip as she looked from Harry to Ron to the dark alley. "Just a few minutes?" she asked.

"I promise," Harry replied.

The three of them huddled close together as they walked down the uneven path. It was so much darker here than in Diagon Alley; Harry could hardly make out the store windows they were so caked with dirt.

Wizards and witches dressed in dark blue and black turned to look at them as they made their way down. Hermione clung even closer to him while Ron held on to her other arm.

"Well, well, well, what have we here?" a cold voice made the hairs on the back of Harry's neck prickle and he turned around. A man with long blond hair stood there next to a woman, her long black hair falling over her shoulders to hang past her waist, and another man who had a hood pulled up, shrouding his face except for his eyes which were very piercing.

"Little children out of their territory," Bellatrix purred, moving closer to them.

"Trespassers," Dolohov intoned.

"Wait a moment," Lucius flew forward and grabbed Harry's arm. "You're the prince, aren't you?"

Harry pulled his arm away, glaring fiercely at the other man. "Yes, I am." He replied bravely, to show he wasn't scared.

"Do you know what we do to little princes who step out of safety?" Lucius asked chillingly.

"Leave him alone!" Hermione shouted. "We were just going to leave and we weren't bothering you!"

Lucius nodded to Bellatrix who shot past them and grabbed Hermione, pulling hard on the little girl's shoulder length bushy hair. Ron tried to help his friend but was restrained by Dolohov.

"Do you know who we are, prince?" Lucius asked, his tone mocking.

"You're Death Eaters," Harry replied, his green eyes alit with anger. "You're those stupid people who my dad is going to put in Azkaban!"

Lucius sneered. "You know too much little boy," he snarled, his teeth clenched. "I'm afraid I can't let you leave here now that you've seen us," he retrieved his wand from his cloak and pointed it directly at Harry's forehead. "Acercre…" he whispered, and a hot white light came from his wand and cut a lightning shape mark in Harry's forehead.

Harry clenched his teeth and tried not to whimper in pain; his eyes were shut tight but tears leaked out of them. Hermione struggled to get away from Bellatrix as Ron tried to kick Dolohov in the shin.

"GET AWAY FROM MY SON!" a roar was heard over the growing crowd and James Potter rushed in, knocking Lucius away. Harry fell to the ground, clutching his bleeding forehead.

"Oh, your majesty," Lucius bowed. "I didn't realise this was your son…" He motioned to Bellatrix and Dolohov and Ron and Hermione were dropped to the ground. "We just thought they were silly beggar children who needed to be taught a lesson."

James growled, grabbing Lucius by his throat. "You're lucky this it out of my jurisdiction and I can't do anything. But if I catch you near my son again, I will kill you." He pushed the other man away and picked Harry up.

"Come on," he said shortly to the other two children, making them walk ahead of him. The bright sunlight blinded them momentarily as they made their way back up to the castle.

Lily came rushing out as she saw her husband carrying their son. "What happened?" she cried, Molly right behind her.

"He got hurt," James replied, his tone sharp. "Get Dumbledore and Madame Pomfrey from Hogwarts please Molly," he did not stop and Ron and Hermione still followed as he took Harry upstairs. "Tell them to meet us in my bedroom."

Molly nodded and rushed to the fireplace while Lily followed them upstairs. "James, tell me what happened!"

"They went into Knockturn Alley," James replied, setting his son down on the bed while Hermione and Ron silently took chairs near the door. "They slipped away while Pettigrew's back was turned, and he saw them heading down the path towards Diagon Alley. That's when he came and got me," at this Hermione and Ron exchanged a furious look with each other, each agreeing to never trust the butler again.

Lily sat down, beside Harry, who had fallen unconscious. She pulled a handkerchief out of her bodice and removed Harry's hand, replacing it with the kerchief. "What happened to him?"

"Cutting spell, "James replied shortly, his arms folded. He turned to face Ron and Hermione. "Whose idea was this to go in there?"

Hermione's eyes were filled with tears as Ron scuffed his shoe at the floor. Neither of them wanted to betray Harry.

"If it was Harry, you can tell me," James relaxed a bit, knowing he was scaring the two children.

"Yes," Hermione finally replied in a small voice. "We just thought we'd see what it was like, that's all."

James sighed and Molly came rushing into the room at that moment, Dumbledore and the nurse from Hogwarts following behind her.

"Thank you for coming," James said, relief clear on his face. Molly ushered Ron and Hermione out with her and left the royal family alone.

Madame Pomfrey pulled the cloth from Harry's forehead and immediately replaced it with a salve which stopped the bleeding. Cleaning the wound off, she shook her head.

"It's as I suspected," she said to Dumbledore.

"What is?" James and Lily asked.

"Whoever did this used a permanent cutting spell," Dumbledore replied. "Acercre- he'll have that scar forever."

Lily gasped and they both moved forward to look at their son's forehead. A jagged, lighting bolt shape scar now marred the smooth skin, and Lily reached out her finger to touch it.

"There's nothing you can do to remove it?" James asked.

"I am sorry," Dumbledore informed him quietly. "I don't think it will bother him very much however."

"My baby," Lily pressed her lips to Harry's forehead. He began to fidget and she sat back in relief. "He's waking up,"

James stalked over to the bed, crossing his arms. Harry cracked his eyes open, he had a terrific headache.

"Mum?" he saw his mother looking down in concern. "What happened?"

"You deliberately disobeyed me," James snapped before Lily could open her mouth. "I told you this morning you were not to go to Knockturn Alley!"

Harry tried to sit up. "Dad we didn't mean to…" he started but James interrupted.

"You didn't mean to? You just decided to LEAVE the castle grounds, which you know you are not allowed to do without an adult with you, and you didn't MEAN to go into Knockturn Alley? You not only put yourself in danger, you almost got Ron and Hermione killed as well!" James was shouting now, forgetting there were three other people in the room.

"James," Lily put a hand on his arm.

"No," James shrugged it off. "Harry's going to be king someday. He needs to learn to not make such stupid decisions!"

Harry's lower lip trembled as his eyes filled with tears. "Dad I'm sorry," he choked out, the tears spilling down his cheeks.

"Get out of here," James said, pointing towards the door. "Get in your room; I don't want to see you until dinner."

Harry gulped down another sob and fled, leaving everyone staring after him.

Awww… poor Harry, James really gave it to him didn't he…

Thanks to all you guys who reviewed last chapter, your comments really mean a lot to me. I had over 300 hits on the story and 22 of you left reviews, and for that I'm deeply appreciative.

Next chapter I'm hoping will be up next week! See you all then!