Unofficial Portkey Archive

Circle of Life by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Circle of Life

Heaven

A/N: Here's the chapter that I've been dreading, as have most of you as well. It gets even darker next chapter before I go 10 years into the future. Please R/R if you read this, I really appreciate all comments!

And thanks to those of you who took the time to review the last chapter, and to Amynoelle for helping me through the end of this one.

James stood outside his son's bedroom door. Harry had not come down for dinner, and after many disapproving looks from his wife, James decided to go and talk to him, rationally.

He'd let his anger and fear get the best of him, and James hated himself for it. The look in Harry's eyes when he had yelled at him… he hoped to never have to see that again.

Knocking softly and receiving no response, James opened the door. Harry lay on his side, fast asleep, his back facing the door. Upon coming closer to the bed, James noticed he was curled up into a ball, and tearstains covered his face.

Feeling even more guilty, the king sat on the edge of the bed and gently shook his son.

"Harry," he said quietly. "Harry wake up."

Harry sighed and turned over, his eyes opening groggily. He saw his father sitting there and he sat up, scrubbing at his face with his palms.

The two of them sat in silence for several minutes. "You didn't come down to dinner," James finally said. "Your mum and I were worried."

"I fell asleep," Harry replied. "I'm not hungry."

James nodded then opened his arms. "Come here," he said and Harry threw himself into his father's embrace. "Shhhh…" James held him, rubbing his back until Harry stopped crying.

"Dad I really am sorry," Harry said, wiping at his eyes.

"I know you are," James replied. "And I'm sorry for yelling at you like I did."

"I just wanted to be brave," Harry wiped his nose on his sleeve. "Just like you."

"Harry," James pulled himself up and sat with his back against the headboard, then patted the spot next to him. "I'm not brave all the time. In fact, today when I saw you being hurt, I was more scared than I'd ever been."

"Really?" Harry seemed shocked.

"You are the most important person to me Harry," James said. "Not because you're going to be a king someday, but because you're my son. You're more important than anything else in my life."

"Even more than mum?" Harry asked, his tone surprised.

"Even more than mum," James echoed. "And I'm willing to bet she feels the same way."

Harry gave his father a small smile. "Those guys got pretty scared when you came in there today," he said.

"That's because no one stands up to me!" James stood up and puffed out his chest. "Come here!" He pulled Harry off the bed and they started play wrestling on the floor.

Harry laughed until his sides ached as he pinned his father on the floor. "I win!" he cried out triumphantly, before James grabbed him and started tickling.

Some time later, after they both caught their breath, James took Harry down to the kitchens for something to eat.

"Dad can I ask you something?" Harry asked as he wolfed down his sandwich.

"Of course you can," James replied.

"Do… do I have to marry Hermione?" He asked.

James choked on his drink, coughing for several moments before he could speak again. "Who told you that?"

"Pettigrew did," Harry replied. "I don't want to marry her."

"Why not?" James asked.

"She's my friend," Harry said. "I like her too much to marry her."

James started laughing. "Harry, in ten years trust me, you'll be looking at Hermione in a much different way than you do now."

"Gross," Harry made a face as he finished off his supper.

Upstairs, Hermione and Lily were having a similar conversation. While her parents were away, Lily decided to put Hermione in a room closer to hers and James until they came back.

"Can I ask you a question?" Hermione asked, snuggling down into her blankets.

"Of course you can love," Lily answered.

"Do I really have to marry Harry someday?" she asked, a bit timidly.

"Who told you about that?" Lily's eyes widened. The adults had decided to wait until they were almost of age to inform them of their betrothal.

"Pettigrew told us right after we went outside," Hermione replied. She and Ron had decided not to get Harry in any more trouble with his father, so they weren't going to contest the butler's lie.

"He shouldn't have told you that," Lily was displeased. "But yes, when the two of you were born, you became betrothed to one another."

"I don't like Harry that way," Hermione said in a small voice.

"You may someday," Lily replied. She kissed Hermione on the forehead. "Good night now, and in just a few days your parents will be back."

"Night," Hermione answered.

"Oh Hermione?" Lily paused at the door. "Nice touch with the spider."

Hermione smiled. "Thank you,"

*** *** ***

Tom Riddle was not a man who normally showed his anger. He actually prided himself on keeping calm in situations. Yet he was also a man of great patience, and it was now wearing quite thin.

"I practically gave you those three brats in a hand basket and you can't even get rid of them before James comes running in," Tom was pacing back and forth in front of Lucius, Bellatrix, Dolohov and Pettigrew. "At least he did his job, sending them out there." Tom pointed at the butler.

"Thank you, master," Pettigrew bowed his head.

"Yet you three couldn't dispose of them," Tom spat. "Instead you leave a stupid mark on his forehead."

"I was going to cast Avada Kedavra, I wasn't given enough time!" Lucius said crisply. "If he had waited just a few more minutes before running off for the king, they'd have been dead."

"I'm tired of waiting!" Tom exploded. "This position would be mine by now if it weren't for your lack of intelligence in the matter!"

Lucius sat back, a sulk appearing on his handsome yet cold face. "Yes Master," he replied.

"Shall we try again tomorrow?" Bellatrix asked.

"No, it's too soon," Tom replied, resuming his pacing. "We need to give it a few more weeks. And we can't get them into Knockturn Alley again either. It'll have to be right there in Diagon Alley."

"And what were you thinking, Master?" Dolohov asked, his hood pulled over his face.

Tom turned around, a sinister smile breaking over his face. "I'm thinking of this…"

*** *** ***

Harry went up to the library the next day after breakfast, feeling much better than he had the previous night. He thought his dad was his best friend next to Hermione and Ron, and he hated it when James was angry with him.

He realised how dumb it was to go down into Knockturn Alley the way they had done it. And now he had a stupid scar on his forehead forever to remind him of that.

And now Harry had to think about the fact that his parents expected him to marry Hermione someday. How could he marry Hermione? She was his friend! Harry didn't ever want to get married to anyone.

Pushing the thoughts to the back of his head, he went into the library. Ron and Hermione were already in there, talking quietly together.

"Harry!" Hermione jumped off her chair. "We were so worried! Did you know Pettigrew lied about how he let us go away? Oh Harry, look at your scar, is it permanent?" she hugged him tightly and Harry felt his body go stiff as a board.

"Hermione let him go," Ron said. "Harry are you all right?"

"I'm fine," Harry replied once Hermione finally released him.

"Your mum said you have a scar now," Ron peered at his forehead.

"Yeah," Harry lifted his fringe to show his friend the lightning bolt shaped into his forehead. "It doesn't hurt or anything though."

Hermione felt slightly hurt, Harry practically had his back to her and wasn't even including her in the conversation. 'It's this stupid marriage thing; he doesn't even want to be my friend now because of it.'

"I'm really sorry," Harry was saying now. "I didn't mean to get you both in trouble yesterday."

"It's all right Harry. Mum only told me not to do it again, she figured what happened was punishment enough. She was just glad to see us all back here in one piece." Ron replied.

Harry nodded; glad he hadn't gotten his friends in a mess with their parents.

"Ron!" Molly's voice came into the library. "Ronald get in your room and pick it up right now!" Ron turned a shade of red that matched his hair.

"I'll be right back," he muttered, running out of the library. Hermione retreated to her chair and picked up her book, not wanting to look at Harry.

Harry sat down across from her. "What are you reading?" he asked politely.

"Aesop's Fables," Hermione replied without looking up. They sat in silence for a few minutes until she spoke up again. "So do you hate me now or something?"

"What?" Harry looked confused. "No, I don't hate you."

"Then why don't you talk to me?" Hermione asked. "I can't help what our parents decided when we were just babies."

"I know," Harry replied. "It just feels weird… that you and I have to get married someday." He looked straight at her. "I'm sorry Hermione; I don't mean to take it out on you."

"It's okay," Hermione said, relieved that Harry wasn't angry with her. "I think it's odd as well. Your mum told me last night that things might be different in 10 years when we're supposed to…"

"My dad told me the same thing," Harry interrupted. They both grinned sheepishly at one another. "Maybe… this shouldn't keep us from being friends though."

Hermione felt lighter than she had all morning. "I think so too," she put her book down. "You're my best friend, even more than Ron… well a lot more than Ron," Harry laughed at this.

"So we're not going to let this bother us at all," Harry said.

"No, not at all." Hermione grinned even wider. "Friends above all else," she stuck out her hand and they shook.

*** *** ***

"Are you done in there yet Harry?" Lily knocked on the bathroom door as her son finished his bath and was getting ready for bed.

"Yeah," Harry came out. He smiled up at his mother and she put her hand on his shoulder.

"So you and your father had a nice chat last night?" Lily asked as they walked along to his bedroom.

Harry nodded. "I didn't like having Dad mad at me," he looked down at the floor.

"He was just worried." Lily replied, helping him into bed. "He carried you back and was hovering around until you woke up." She brushed his hair back off his forehead, her fingers touching his scar.

"It doesn't hurt Mum," Harry said.

"Good," Lily leaned over and kissed it. "I was so scared you'd be permanently cursed or injured." She pulled the covers over Harry. "What made you want to go in there?"

"I'm just curious Mum," Harry replied. "I know Dark Arts are bad but I wanted to see something," he pulled his blankets tighter around his body.

"Love, if you ever want to know something, just ask your father or me." Lily said gently. "We'll tell you anything you need to know."

"But Dad wouldn't tell me what was in there," Harry replied.

Lily knew her son was a curious soul, as were most seven year olds. "Harry, if you ever want to know something, just ask. Your father and I love you very, very much." She started combing her fingers through his messy hair again. "We'll always be here for you, no matter what you do."

"Thanks Mum," Harry was growing sleepy. "I love you."

"I love you too Harry," she kissed his forehead again before leaving. She checked on Hermione, who was already sleeping soundly before going to her own bedroom.

James was already in bed; he smiled at her as she dressed and got in beside him. "How's Harry?"

"He's fine," Lily answered. "He's so happy you're not angry at him."

James sighed. "He's definitely got that curious streak in him," he said.

"That he does," Lily echoed. "But I'd rather have him be curious about things now while we're around to answer him, than have him be that way during his reign."

"I agree," James replied, turning to pull her into his arms. "Harry's pretty smart, and with Hermione by his side he can't go wrong. I'm proud of how he's turned out so far."

"Me too," Lily kissed him. "And I'm proud of how you turned out too," her tone turned from serious to playful.

James grinned as he kissed her again, harder this time. "I don't think I told you that I love you today," he said, his fingers brushing a stray lock of her red hair out of her eyes.

"You did, but you can say it again," Lily replied. "I feel as if we haven't spent enough time together and with Harry lately."

"I know," James said. "I've been so busy with my duties lately I've not made much time."

"Can you take off an hour or two tomorrow?" Lily asked, snuggling in next to him. "We could have lunch with Harry out in the gardens."

"Sure," James replied. "I'll talk to Tom in the morning about rescheduling some things."

"All right," Lily kissed her husband again. "Good night James, I love you."

"Love you too Lils," he answered before sleep overtook them both.

*** Two Weeks Later***

Harry was heading out to the gardens with Hermione and Ron (sans Pettigrew this time) when Tom Riddle approached them, his black robes billowing out behind him.

"Harry," He spoke, putting his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Your father would like you to come to Diagon Alley; he's got a surprise for you."

"Really?" Harry asked. "Okay," he looked at his friends. "I'll meet up with you guys later all right?"

"Okay," Hermione smiled back at him while Ron waved.

"We'll meet you back by the shed," Ron replied as Harry walked away with Tom.

"So what's the surprise?" Harry asked as they walked down the grounds to the castle gate.

"Now, now Harry," Tom smiled down at him. "You know I can't tell you that!"

"Why not?" Harry asked. "I promise I'll act really surprised when he shows up!"

"Harry," Tom said in a mock chastising tone. He was in a superb mood that day, knowing that just in a few hours he could claim the throne for himself. "Your father would like you to wait here on the steps at Gringotts until he gets here."

"All right," Harry replied, pushing his fringe aside. His new scar was itchy. Tom walked away back towards the castle while Harry sat back against one of the columns. He scuffed his shoe against the pebbles that fell into the cracks between the cobblestones. It was warm out that day, and Harry wished his father would get there so he could go back and jump in the pond on the castle grounds.

A sudden scream made Harry jerk his head up. Figures swathed in black robes were streaming out into the street, curses shooting every which way.

'Death Eaters!' Harry thought, suddenly panicked. His scar started throbbing as he got up, trying to find a place where he could hide.

"Your highness!" James turned as Tom Riddle rushed towards him. "Death Eaters in Diagon Alley- Harry's down there!"

James felt his stomach drop out underneath him; the coldest feel of panic was sweeping over him. "What?" he finally asked.

"Riot down in Diagon Alley!" Tom repeated. "Harry's down by Gringotts!"

James tore past Tom and down to the gates leading out to the village. There were even more Death Eaters than he originally thought; they were all rampaging the buildings- breaking windows, destroying goods…. And in the middle of the whole mess stood Harry.

"HARRY"! James shouted.

"DAD!" Harry saw his father running towards him. "Help me!!!"

James dodged several curses, trying not to trip among bodies lying on the pavement. He hoped they weren't dead but he had no time to check.

"Dad!" Harry cried. His father swept him up, shielding him with his body.

"Come on Harry," James ducked again; it wasn't as easy this time with a child in his arms.

"I'm sorry Dad!" Harry said. "Tom said you had a surprise for me so I was just waiting!"

"It's all right Harry," James said. "I'm not angry with you I just want to keep you safe!" He got them to the side of the street and ducked into a small alleyway. "Stay here until I come back and get you all right?"

Harry nodded, curling himself into a ball as his father disappeared into a haze of dust and rubble. He could still hear curses shooting out and the dust grew even thicker until it was like a fog.

James pulled out his wand and sent several hexes at Death Eaters that were scattered all over the place. He was about to send out another curse when he got hit with a full body bind.

Tom Riddle smiled coldly as he tucked his wand under his cloak. "Silence!" he shouted and all the curses stopped flying. Tom moved slowly to the fallen king as the dust cleared up a bit.

James tried to widen his eyes as his mentor stopped directly above him. "Help me!" he tried to say but he couldn't.

"King James of Gryffindor," Tom's cold smile grew wider. He kneeled down as the Death Eaters surrounded them. "Now listen closely as I tell you everything… The throne should have been mine years ago. In fact just a few short weeks ago, I had another chance to seize it but my servants slipped up," he saw James's eyes widen in realisation. "Yes, it was I who ordered the attack on your son. I've hated him since the day he was born, and I've hated you."

Tom stood back up, pulling his wand back out. "Goodbye, your highness. I want you to die knowing that Harry is next." His lip curled up in a sneer. "AVADA KEDAVRA!" he shouted.

All James could see was a blinding green light and then it was all dark.

*** *** ***

Harry waited and waited for his father to come back. The noise had stopped quite some time ago and it was growing dark outside. Deciding he'd check before leaving, he poked his head out of the opening and listened hard.

All he heard was silence. "Dad?" he called out. It was still dusty and he coughed, waving it out of his way.

Harry ventured further from the little alley out into the street. "Dad?" he called again. He saw some dark shapes ahead of him and went over to them.

He saw a huddled figure that looked suspiciously like his father lying on the ground. "Dad?" he asked, this time softer. He got on his knees and rolled him over, stifling a cry.

It was his father, staring up into space. Not moving, and not breathing.

A/N: :'( that was the worst thing I ever wrote… it took me 6 hours to write that one little scene.

What's the worst part, is that the bad stuff is just beginning. If you know The Lion King, you know what's coming, but it will be even darker than that.

Anyways, I will try and write the next chapter as soon as I can. Please R/R! Thanks