Unofficial Portkey Archive

Circle of Life by Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Circle of Life

Heaven

Hello everyone! Here's the last chapter of Circle of Life! This has been a great story for me to write and I hope you've all enjoyed reading it.

I saw that some of you didn't care for how I did the last chapter… the truth is, I'm not much of an action writer, truth be I don't really like writing those types of scenes, there always feels to be far too much going on to capture it in words. And I've always seen the scene in Lion King as more of a tense confrontation than a big action scene, so I tried to put that into words instead.

I hope if you were disappointed that this quite fluffy chapter will make up for it. Thanks to Amynoelle for her brilliant help!

Harry tossed the eggs around in the skillet as his other hand buttered several stacks of toast. He wanted to make breakfast for himself and his mother before she woke up.

"I didn't know you could cook," a voice made him jump. Lily stood there dressed in a lavender silk robe, her hair pulled softly off her face.

"Sirius taught me well," Harry smiled then looked down at the skillet. He felt suddenly shy although he wanted to talk to her, ask her about things he had done as a little boy and just get to know her again.

"Can I help?" Lily asked, not taking her eyes off her son. He was so like James in his mannerisms, except James had had no shy bone in his body, that part came from her.

"No, I've got it." Harry balanced everything as he carried it over to the table. "I was going to bring this up to you so we could eat together but since you're down here it doesn't matter."

Lily smiled. "I used to bring you down here for breakfast when you were just a baby."

"Really?" Harry asked. "I wanted to talk to you about that… I mean… what I was like as a baby."

"You were a handful, but very sweet." Lily began to eat her breakfast. "You loved your father, loved spending time with him."

"What did we do?" Harry asked.

"Well he'd take you in his study quite often and he would help you practise talking." Lily said, a faraway look in her eyes. "It was like the two of you had your own secret thing, just the two of you and no one else."

Harry smiled. "I wish I could remember him more." He stirred his eggs with his fork thoughtfully. "I mean, I can think of different things he and I did together, like the morning he took me out to show me everything in the kingdom."

"That was a big morning for you," Lily commented. "You got him up at the crack of dawn." They both laughed.

"Everything was so different then," Harry said.

"Yes it was," Lily agreed.

Harry looked up at his mother. "I'm sorry… sorry that I left you here all alone. I should have stayed." He couldn't shake the guilt even though Hermione had assured him before that it was fine now.

"Harry, I'm just so glad you're here," Lily laid a hand on his. "If it meant you'd have been killed by Tom Riddle if you stayed, then I'm glad you left." She sighed. "I'd rather have you here now than have both you and your father gone forever."

"Hermione said the same thing," Harry replied, his face turning slightly red.

"She did?" Lily asked.

"Yeah, sort of," Harry ran his hand through his hair.

"She's a smart girl," Lily smiled at her son's discomfort. "And she's grown up to be quite a beautiful young woman as well. Hermione's been a real comfort to me."

Harry nodded. "Yeah, she is gorgeous," he mumbled. "She's the only girl I've ever cared about."

"I seem to remember a certain young prince telling his father he didn't want to marry Hermione," Lily teased.

Harry turned an even darker shade of red but he grinned back at his mother. "Yeah, okay… so you were right and I was wrong,"

"She felt the same way you did at the time," Lily smiled.

"I told her I wanted to marry her once everything was taken care of," Harry said.

Lily felt her eyes well up with tears at Harry's statement. "What's wrong?" he asked, wondering what made her cry.

"Nothing," Lily brushed the tears away with the back of her hand. "It's just… just so strange to have you here when I remember you as a young boy. You're so much like your father; his loyalty and his love for family." She sniffed, wiping at her eyes again.

Harry moved over to the chair next to his mother and hugged her. She held him tightly. "Don't ever leave again," she cried.

"I won't," Harry said. "I promise."

*** *** ***

Harry spent the rest of the morning and part of the early afternoon with his mother. He told her about his time living with Sirius and Remus, who had taken it upon themselves to patrol Diagon Alley, looking for Tom Riddle or any of the rest of the Death Eaters.

It was odd, really. The Death Eaters, who had struggled for so long to control the kingdom, had simply up and left. Knockturn Alley was abandoned and the dark shops were already being ripped apart to make room for new shops to expand Diagon Alley.

Harry could not explain it, nor could Lily or anyone residing in the kingdom. Sirius and Remus came back at half past noon with the news that there were no traces of any Death Eaters, not even Lucius, Bellatrix or Anton.

"Tom Riddle must have led them out of here," Harry replied as the four walked over the grounds.

"Actually…" Remus looked over at Sirius. "We found something rather uh… interesting in the back of Borgin and Burke's."

"What was it?" Harry asked curiously.

"Well," Sirius paused a moment. "Tom Riddle… he was back there…"

"And?" Lily pressed.

"He was dead," Remus fidgeted uncomfortably.

"WHAT?" Harry stopped in his tracks.

"He's dead." Sirius replied bluntly. "And I'm not sorry for it one bit. He put people through a lot of grief and James would still be alive today if it weren't for him."

Harry nodded slowly. "You're right," he replied.

"You're also going to have to go down into the village sometime today." Remus added. "Everyone wants to see you; a lot of them can hardly believe you're back."

"Okay," Harry agreed. "I've got to meet with Ron and Hermione in just a bit, but later this afternoon I'll go down there."

"Why don't you run on ahead, I've got to get busy planning your coronation ceremony," Lily said.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked.

"Of course," Lily replied. "I know you're dying to see Hermione." Her tone was teasing.

"Yeah, I just can't believe my matchmaking finally worked," Sirius replied, grinning wickedly.

"Oh Sirius you didn't match anyone up," Lily replied. "Harry and Hermione have been betrothed since they were both a year old."

Harry laughed at the look on Sirius's face. "I'll see you all later," he kissed his mother on the cheek and headed off for the gardens, listening to Sirius's squawks of protest behind him.

He saw Ron and Hermione sitting together on one of the stone benches; Ron was talking emphatically while Hermione sat back and laughed.

"And after she made me wash all our dishes by hand, I had to go to the house down in the village and scrub the floors, all the Muggle way!" Ron was not amused by Hermione's merriment at his situation.

"Oh Ron, it just slipped out I've told you twenty times that I'm sorry!" Hermione wiped her eyes and started laughing again.

Harry grinned as he joined the two of them. "I see nothing has changed between you two," he said innocently as he draped his arm over Hermione's shoulders. "Are you still scared of spiders?"

"You know, it's nice to have you back but only if you're going to take my side," Ron snickered.

Harry looked at Hermione who gave him a pointed glance. "Nooo… sorry Ron, if I go against her there's no telling what she'll turn me into."

"Bloody coward," Ron muttered. "You really haven't changed a bit."

Harry snorted good naturedly, punching Ron in the shoulder. "Look who's talking," he replied.

"This isn't quite the reunion I expected between us all," Hermione interjected.

Harry grinned at Ron before slinging his other arm around his shoulders. "What would you like us to do? Kiss?" he grinned evilly at her.

"Please no," Hermione looked ill.

"Gosh Harry, nice as that sounds," Ron made a face. "I'd rather have Luna do the kissing." He stood up. "I'll see you later at dinner right?"

"Right," Harry nodded. Ron bid them goodbye and began to walk away. "Hey Ron?"

"Yeah?" He turned back around.

"Don't get caught this time," Harry replied, grinning.

Ron made a rude noise but he was grinning as he left.

"Honestly," Hermione said as she watched Ron walk out of sight. "I'd have thought the two of you would be happier to see one another again."

"We are," Harry assured her. "But we're males… we don't hug and jump and cry all over one another."

"Well still," Hermione insisted. "I think that- Harry!" she was cut off as Harry leaned over and pressed his mouth to hers.

"Sorry," Harry said when they pulled apart. "I've wanted to do that all day."

"Oh," Hermione breathed as he kissed her again. "I think I've wanted you to do that all day as well."

Harry laughed. "Good," he was cut off by her this time. He wound his arms around her body, pulling her onto his lap as his tongue swept over her lips to taste her mouth.

"Mmm… Harry…" Hermione pulled away with great difficulty several minutes later. Or was it a half hour later, Hermione had no clue. She was still on Harry's lap; her fingers playing with his hair as they both absently looked over the grounds.

"It all looks the same, but it feels so different being back here," Harry spoke. "It doesn't seem like ten years have passed."

"I know," Hermione said. "Just think, in a few days time you'll officially be king of these lands."

"Yeah," Harry smiled. "Then there will only be one more thing to do."

"What's that?" Hermione asked.

"To do what I told you I'd do after everything settled down," Harry held her tighter.

Hermione sat up straight and looked right at him. "What do you mean?" she asked, her voice quavering.

"I want to make our betrothal official once again." Harry said, his eyes burning into hers. "I want to marry you, as soon as possible."

Hermione felt tears spring to her eyes. "I… I don't know what to say Harry," she said.

"Say yes," Harry cupped her cheek, bringing her towards him again for another kiss.

"Yes!" Hermione cried as they broke apart.

Harry grinned as he took up her hand in his. "Well it's not an official proposal until I get you a ring," he kissed her fingers. "Come on, it's time I showed my face down there in the village anyhow."

"All right," Hermione agreed, kissing him again as he helped her up. They left the castle grounds and walked down the road through the village. Harry was forced to stop and talk with several people, who were all extremely happy to see their prince safe and sound.

Several of the villagers asked where he had been, a few in a somewhat accusatory tone. Harry explained his story and it seemed to settle down a number of them, and he also promised things were going to change.

The villagers also of course knew Hermione and with smiles and a few reassuring words, they left the townspeople feeling quite satisfied.

"All right," Harry pushed his hand through his hair. "I'm glad that part is over and done with."

Hermione laughed softly. "You'd better get used to that sort of thing; you'll be appealing to the village quite often as king."

"Are you sure I can't get you to do that for me?" Harry asked jokingly as he led her into the jeweller's.

"Perhaps," Hermione smiled.

"All right," he put his hands on her shoulders. "You're going to stay up here while I get a ring for you."

"I can't pick out my own ring?" Hermione teased.

"No," Harry replied.

"Fine," Hermione pretended to pout as Harry went and spoke to the elderly jeweller, who, needless to say, was extremely excited about having royalty in his shoppe.

"I sold your father your mother's ring," he said, producing several small boxes from under the counter. The old man opened one of the boxes and Harry took it, holding it up so the light would catch it.

It looked much like his mother's ring did; a diamond in the centre but instead of being surrounded by rubies, there were four sapphires at each point.

"I'll take it," Harry closed the box, knowing he didn't even need to look at any other rings. He paid the man in gold and took the box, grabbing Hermione's arm. He couldn't keep the large smile off his face and only laughed at her questions. He dragged her up to the castle and back into the gardens.

"What are you doing?" Hermione asked.

Harry got down on one knee. "Proposing the right way," he said. "I don't fancy doing it in front of the whole village."

Hermione laughed. "You already know my answer," she said, sitting on the bench.

"Aye, that's true," Harry said, getting off his knee. He gave her the box and watched her eyes grow wide as she opened it.

"Oh Harry," Hermione breathed as the diamond caught the sunlight.

"I love you," Harry said as he took the ring out of the box and slid it onto her finger. "After everything that's happened I want to try and make you as happy as I possibly can."

"You already have," Hermione leaned over and kissed him hard.

*** *** ***

Lily leaned over and straightened the heavy scarlet and gold velvet robes that hung over her son's shoulders. "Perfect," she said. "Now, your hair…"

"Mum my hair has never looked neat," Harry pointed out.

"True," Lily smiled. "Just like James's." she began to fuss with his ebony strands anyway.

"Mum!" Harry pulled her hands away. "Trust me it's as neat as it's going to get."

"All right," Lily sighed. "I can't help but fuss over you Harry."

"I know," Harry grinned. "It's all right I don't mind that much."

Lily shook her head but she was smiling. "You look so handsome," she said.

"Thanks," He ruffled his hair back up. "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"They're coming," Lily said. "Ron was getting Luna from the village and Hermione was waiting for them."

Harry was happy that his friends were accompanying him to the balcony where Dumbledore was to officially crown him King. It was making him nervous; the thoughts of standing up there in front of the entire village.

"After today we must finish planning your wedding," Lily's voice broke him from his thoughts. "We've gotten Hermione her dress, it's being altered, and I need to get you some dress robes. She wanted to wear a dress like her mother wore; I'll make sure your robes fit with it."

Harry stayed silent and let his mother carry on about his wedding. He was still in a bit of shock; that he was actually going to be marrying Hermione soon. He was going to be someone's husband and a king.

"Harry?" Lily asked. "Are you all right love?"

"I'm fine," Harry shook his head.

"You're nervous," Lily replied. "It's all right; James was the same way during his coronation." She finished fussing over Harry. "I think you'll make a good king, just like him."

"Thanks Mum," Harry replied as Hermione, Ron and Luna arrived in the room.

Luna curtseyed at the sight of Harry, and Ron rolled his eyes while Hermione stifled a giggle. "Luna, you don't have to curtsey to him like that." He hissed.

"I just want to pay him the proper respect," Luna replied in her dreamy tone.

Harry grinned at his best friend. "Oh come now Ron, it's nice to have people pay me the proper respect. After all you'll be bowing to me before the night is over."

Ron opened his mouth and everyone started laughing. "All right you two," Hermione's eyes were twinkling. "We need to get Harry upstairs, Dumbledore is waiting."

Harry left, Hermione on his right and his mother on his left. The five of them went upstairs and Dumbledore, along with Sirius and Remus were standing near the entrance to the balcony.

"You clean up well Harry," Sirius said jovially. He wore brand new (black of course) robes and Remus had new navy blue ones. He smiled proudly at Harry.

"Better than Sirius, at any rate." Remus joked and Harry grinned.

"Hey!" Sirius exclaimed but he was grinning as well. Dumbledore stepped forward and Harry let go of his mother and Hermione.

"Are you ready?" he asked the young man. Harry nodded; the butterflies fluttering around in his stomach seemed to multiply.

"Here, I'll walk out with you," Hermione took his arm again. He looked down at her in relief, liking the way her engagement diamond sparkled even though they weren't outside yet.

"Thanks," Harry said. Dumbledore smiled at him before going out onto the balcony.

"Thank you all for being here today," Dumbledore began, his voice magically magnified. "I remember a day much like this one sixteen years ago, when Harry Potter was only a year old. I showed him to his future kingdom, yet little did we know that only several years later, tragedy would befall him.

"However, he has returned to you, ready and willing to become a king and to make this village happy once again." Dumbledore smiled and everyone cheered. "And without further ado, here is your future king Harry and future queen Hermione!"

Harry and Hermione stepped out onto the balcony, blinking in the bright sunlight before waving to the crowd. Lily, Ron, Luna, Sirius and Remus came out a moment later as Hermione strayed back by Lily's side.

Dumbledore read Harry his oath to take as a king and Harry repeated it dutifully before Dumbledore set the golden crown atop his messy raven hair. Everyone down in the village erupted in enthusiastic applause.

"Thank you!" Harry called, his voice magnified like Dumbledore's. "I thank you very much for coming here today. As your king I promise that times will be better than they have been these past ten years. To help me in that matter, I am appointing Sir Sirius Black and Sir Remus Lupin as my royal advisors."

The two older men looked shocked as Harry beckoned them forwards.

"Harry are you sure about this?" Sirius asked.

"No," Harry replied, demagnifying his voice for a moment. "But I'm grateful for all the two of you have done for me over the past ten years and I want to repay you somehow."

Sirius grinned at him, as well as Remus. He felt a father's pride deep inside him as the three men hugged.

It wasn't long before the coronation ended; Harry was extremely relieved about that. Sirius, Remus and Lily left Harry, Hermione, Ron and Luna to themselves while Dumbledore bid them goodbye.

"Until the wedding of course?" Dumbledore asked with a twinkle in his eye.

"Of course," Harry echoed. The old man winked and was gone. He turned to Hermione and slid an arm around her waist.

"I'm so glad that's over," he sighed into her hair.

"I know," Hermione replied. "And now we just have the wedding."

Harry pulled back and grinned at her. "Just the wedding," he echoed, kissing her softly.

"Wait that reminds me-" Hermione pulled her lips away. "The seamstress is coming to fit your dress robes," she tugged on his hand.

"What?" Harry allowed himself to be pulled away. She yanked him into a room where a middle aged woman was waiting.

"Your highness," she bowed her head respectfully. Harry greeted her then looked at Hermione who was sitting on a bench near the corner of the room.

"What can I do for you?" Harry asked.

"I'm here to fit you," the woman replied. "My name is Madam Malkin, and I run a robe shoppe in the village."

"Pleased to meet you," Harry replied cordially. "What do you need me to do?"

"Just stand right here," Madam Malkin said and suddenly three tape measures were flying towards him, stretching every which way to measure his height, his torso, his waist… Harry was seeing double by the time the woman had all his measurements marked down.

"And what colour?" she asked pleasantly. Harry opened his mouth to say blue when Hermione spoke up.

"Black please, and two sets." She interjected. Harry turned to look at her as Madam Malkin bid them goodbye and left.

"I wanted blue," Harry said.

"Well black will go better with my dress," Hermione replied. "Besides, Muggle men wear black suits not blue ones."

Harry's jaw fell open. "You… " He sighed and smiled at her. "Fine."

"Thank you," Hermione kissed him soundly on the lips. "Your mum and I will take care of all the wedding plans. You have plenty of other duties."

"Thanks for reminding me," Harry said a bit sarcastically but he grinned at her. "I'd better see where Remus and Sirius went off to."

"All right," Hermione replied. "I'll see you at supper."

*** *** ***

The weeks passed by swiftly. Harry, along with Sirius and Remus, were quickly learning the ways of the kingdom. Hermione and Lily spent their waking hours planning every last detail of the wedding.

Hermione grew more and more excited when her wedding day finally arrived. Her dress had been finished and it looked almost exactly like her mother's had from the picture Hermione had of their wedding.

She wished so much her mum and dad and James could have been there for the ceremony. At least Ron and Molly would be there along with the rest of the Weasley family, including Luna.

It would be a nice private ceremony, which is what both she and Harry wanted. Even with his duties as the new king, he made sure to spend some time with her every day even if it was only a walk over the grounds after supper.

She went down into the main entry hall where Lily was with several villagers who had brought up flowers. The ceremony was to take place late that afternoon right there and it was already beautifully decorated.

"Hermione!" Lily had spotted her. "Why aren't you in your room getting ready?"

"I was," Hermione replied. "But I'm just so restless today… I can't just sit in my room anymore."

"Well that's right where you're going, Harry's been wandering the castle as well and I don't want you two seeing one another until you're walking towards him down the aisle." Lily put her hands on the young woman's shoulders.

"All right," Hermione turned. "Come and help me get dressed in a little while."

"I'll bring you something to eat," Lily said as she turned back to the villagers.

Hermione retraced her steps back to her rooms, closing the door firmly behind her. She was absolutely dying to see Harry, even if it was just for a quick kiss.

"Well tonight you'll do more than just kiss," Hermione said to herself as she drew a bath. She was excited and nervous about their wedding night, more so than the ceremony itself. Hermione wanted to be good for Harry.

Meanwhile, Harry was pacing back and forth in his room, after his mother sent him away for the fourth time. Ron was already dressed in his navy blue robes.

"Any chance I can get you to change robes with me?" Harry asked.

"No way," Ron chuckled. "Even if you don't remember Hermione's little revenges when we were kids I do. The spiders particularly…" he shuddered. "Sorry mate, you're stuck with those."

Harry glared at him. "Thanks a lot."

"Sure," Ron leaned back. "This is boring, we're already dressed and we have to wait in here so you won't see Hermione."

Harry rolled his eyes. "You're right." He got up, brushing off the front of his black robes. "Let's go to the gardens or something until it's time."

"All right," Ron agreed. The two men slipped through the castle and out the back.

"Much nicer than that room," Harry let the sun warm his face. "I can't believe in a few hours I'll be married."

"You make that sound like a death sentence," Ron observed dryly.

"I do?" Harry asked. "I don't mean it to. I've been in love with Hermione… for a very long time. And I've been thinking of this day for most of my life."

"Really?" Ron asked.

"Yeah," Harry answered. "When I saw her standing there in front of me at Sirius and Remus's place… at first I seriously thought it was a dream or a vision."

"What made you figure out it was her?" Ron asked, pulling a loose thread from his robes.

"She bloody knocked me over in the dirt," Harry laughed.

"That sounds like Hermione," Ron snorted.

Harry smiled as he sat back again. They sat out together in silence for quite awhile before they heard Lily calling them in.

"Harry, we've been looking everywhere for you," Lily chastised gently. She looked stunning in her green robes. "Ron, Hermione needs to talk to you before the ceremony begins. She's in the receiving room just off the main entry hall."

"Okay," Ron grinned at Harry before loping off towards the castle. Harry looked back at his mother.

"What were you doing out here?" Lily asked.

"Just came out for some air," Harry replied.

"Are you all right?" Lily asked.

"Yeah, just nervous," Harry answered. "I mean, I'm about to become Hermione's husband." He mussed his hair. "It almost feels like a bigger responsibility than being king."

Lily laughed softly before linking her arm through Harry's. "You'll do just fine. Hermione is just as nervous and excited as you are."

"She is?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Lily replied. "I've already had to send her back to her room before I got over there to help her get dressed."

"How does she look?" Harry was curious.

"Stunning," Lily answered. "And if you'll just go in there, you can see her in a few minutes."

Meanwhile, Ron made his way to Hermione's room, knocking politely before entering. "Wow," he said, his eyes wide as he saw his best friend. "You look amazing Hermione!"

"Hi," Hermione said and turned a slight shade of pink. "Thanks. You don't look too bad yourself."

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"Yes," she replied. "I just… have a little favour to ask of you."

"What's that?" Ron offered her his arm.

"Well," He and Hermione left the room and started down the corridor. "I was hoping, since my father isn't here and neither is James… that you'd walk me down the aisle."

Ron stopped in his tracks. "You want me to walk you down the aisle?" he wasn't sure he'd heard correctly.

"Yes," Hermione answered. "I mean… you've been my best friend and the closest thing to a brother I've ever had. It would really mean so much to me if you would do this."

"I… I'd love to, Hermione." Ron said. Hermione hugged him tightly as she tried not to cry.

"Thanks," she patted under her eyes, trying not to ruin her makeup job. "All right, I'm ready. How's Harry?"

"Dying to see you," Ron replied as they came into the room off the entry hall. "Alright, you wait here and I'll see what's going on."

"Okay," Hermione smiled at him as he left. Ron saw his best friend walk in with his mother.

"Hermione's in there," Ron nodded his head towards the room. The rest of his family was sitting in the chairs provided… they were the only guests along with Sirius, Remus and Dumbledore, who was officiating the ceremony.

"Okay," Harry wiped his sweaty palms off on his robes and went towards the front of the room where Dumbledore smiled at him. Lily sat down next to Molly as Ron disappeared into a room just off the side and came back out a moment later with Hermione.

Harry felt his stomach drop out his feet and continue down somewhere underground. As his mother had said, she looked stunning in her simple white dress with her hair falling down her back in curls and a white blooming flower tucked behind one ear.

She smiled radiantly as soon as she saw him, Ron grinning the whole way down the aisle. As they reached the front, Hermione turned and whispered something in Ron's ear and he hugged her before sitting down next to his sister.

Hermione took Harry's arm as he stared down at her. "You look gorgeous," he whispered.

"Thanks," she whispered back. Dumbledore smiled at the both of them before starting the ceremony. It was a daze for them until Dumbledore looked at them expectantly.

"Oh," Harry shook his head and reached into his pocket for the rings. He slipped Hermione's onto her finger on top of her engagement ring. "With this ring, I thee wed," he said softly.

Hermione's eyes glazed over, but she took Harry's ring and put it on him, repeating the same vows. Harry gave her a crooked grin and she smiled back, letting out a breath she hadn't even realised she was holding.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife, King and Queen of Gryffindor," Dumbledore announced.

Harry hardly gave him a chance to finish before pulling Hermione into his arms and kissing her hard. Hermione laughed around his mouth as she wound her arms around his neck, holding their kiss for an extra few seconds.

Lily and Molly were both near sobbing happily as the newlywed couple broke apart. Ron was grinning madly and Ginny was touching her handkerchief to her eye. Fred and George were smirking at Harry and Arthur was decidedly holding them back from playing any jokes on the new King.

"I can't believe we're married," Hermione whispered to Harry who was still holding her close.

"I know," Harry replied, touching his forehead to hers. "It seems such a short time ago we learned we were betrothed."

Hermione giggled and kissed him lightly.

*** *** ***

Later that evening, Harry and Hermione were finally able to retire. Lily had given them a suite of rooms in a wing of the house that hadn't been used for years. It had been cleaned out and redecorated in bright colours that Hermione loved.

Harry fell onto the bed in exhaustion, Hermione climbing in next to him. "That feels good," he moaned as she began to rake her fingers through his hair.

"I hope you're not too tired," Hermione remarked. Harry opened his eyes and looked up at her.

"For that? Of course I'm not too tired," Harry grinned.

Hermione rolled her eyes and slid down next to him. "I love you," she said quietly. "Everything that's happened today was like a dream I've had since you left."

Harry smiled before pulling her on top of him. She had changed into a nightgown while he had tossed his dress robes in the corner. After he pulled off his shirt Hermione had sneaked up behind him and it led to where they were now.

"Mmm…" Hermione murmured as he pulled her head down for a kiss.

*** *** ***

Hermione sleepily opened her eyes, stretching her arms over her head before resting them on top of the covers.

It had been two years since Harry had returned to Diagon Alley and become King, almost two years since they had been married, and one year since they'd become parents.

Prince James Daniel Potter had been born to her and Harry about fourteen months after they had gotten married. He was a delightful baby and Hermione loved what a wonderful father he was to their son.

"What are you thinking about?" a mischievous voice asked in her ear. Hermione turned to see a pair of green eyes and a large smile.

"Nothing," she answered, kissing her husband chastely on the mouth. "We've got quite a day ahead of us."

"That we do," Harry answered. "But I think I'm allowed just a few more minutes with you before it all starts."

'I'm not going to argue with that," Hermione laughed as Harry growled playfully.

An hour later they were up and in the kitchen, Lily assuming her role of grandmother as she fed little James his breakfast.

"He eats just like you did," Lily commented as James spat out his mouthful of oatmeal.

"Maybe he just doesn't like oatmeal," Harry grinned. "I know I sure didn't."

Lily gave him an evil glare but then smiled. "All right then… I'll feed him something else."

"I can't get it," Harry replied. "I know you want to get ready for James's showing later."

"Yes I do, and I have a few last minute arrangements to make," Lily replied. "I'll see you two later." She left in a flurry of robes.

Harry grinned at Hermione, who had finished slicing some fruit for James. "I knew it was wise to let her do all the planning," he said, taking the plate from his wife.

He fed his son small pieces of seedless watermelon. "I can't believe how big he's getting," Harry said as James chewed and grinned at his parents.

"I know," Hermione sighed, sitting on Harry's lap. Her arm went around his shoulders as she kissed the top of his head. James kicked his little legs and squealed loudly, making his mum and dad laugh.

"All right you, up for a bath." Harry swung his son high in the air. "I'll bring him to you once we're finished so I can get ready."

"Sounds good," Hermione kissed her son and then her husband, and then watched as they left.

Harry shook his head as James splashed around in the water. "You're going to be a troublemaker when you get older, I can tell." He laughed as a wave of water flew at him. James had his green eyes but the hair that had grown in was unmistakeably from Hermione. James also had Hermione's smile, which Harry loved to see.

He finished James's bath, then brought him into the bedroom. Harry opened a drawer and from the bottom pulled out some tiny scarlet and gold robes. Lily had given them to him after James had been born.

"Those were yours, you wore them on the day we showed you to the kingdom for the first time," Lily had said, touching the robes fondly. "James should wear them when you decide to let everyone see him."

Harry remembered that as he carefully dressed James, who cooed and giggled at him the entire time. He brought his baby over to the mirror and laughed as James clapped at his reflection. "That's right, you're a handsome boy. Much like your old dad," Harry said proudly.

"Are you giving him an ego already?" A fully dressed Hermione was standing in the doorway, shaking her head. Harry grinned at her as he held up James who shrieked in delight at the sight of his mother.

"Oh you are a handsome boy," Hermione took him from Harry and kissed his pink face repeatedly. "Your mother has everything ready, and the villagers are gathering by the balcony. Dumbledore just arrived as well."

"Guess I should get myself dressed." Harry gave James a kiss on the forehead and then planted one on Hermione. "I'll meet you by the tower."

James looked adoringly at Hermione as she smoothed down his robes. Sometimes, even after a year, she couldn't believe she was a mother. Harry was the same way; she often caught him looking at James like he couldn't believe a part of the two of them was sitting in front of him.

"Well, it's not time for Mummy to sit up here and daydream," Hermione snapped out of her thoughts as James gurgled at her. She carried him into the entry hall by the door to the tower balcony where Lily, Ron, Luna and Dumbledore were standing.

"Those robes fit him perfectly!" Lily was thrilled as she smiled in delight at her grandchild.

"Are those Harry's?" Ron asked, stifling a laugh. He reached for James who left Hermione's arms willingly for his godfather. Ron loved the little guy like a son and spent many hours with the tyke while Harry and Hermione were busy with their royal duties. "They probably look better on James." He laughed.

"Thanks a lot Ron," Harry had joined them, adjusting his crown atop his messy hair. "Did I forget to mention James has a new interest in spiders lately?"

"Ha Ha." Ron said flatly, handing the baby back to Harry. "So funny, really."

"Thanks," Harry grinned while Hermione rolled her eyes. "Come on boys, Sirius and Remus are waiting for us upstairs at the balcony. The whole village is crowded outside."

The group rushed up the stairs to the royal advisors. "About time," Sirius said. "We thought we were going to have to tell everyone the showing has been cancelled."

"No, we're here." Harry gave Sirius a look. "Is everyone out there?"

"Yes, and then some," Remus replied. Harry handed James over to Dumbledore before taking Hermione's hand and stepping outside onto the balcony.

A great cheer rose from the crowd beneath them as the king and queen waved. Harry heard Ron and Luna step out near the wall as Lily, now the Queen Mum, came up beside them. And last, Dumbledore walked out, holding the baby up in front of him.

"I'm honoured to present the citizens of the kingdom of Gryffindor to their future king," Dumbledore said, his voice being heard in all corners. "Prince James Daniel Potter, future King of Gryffindor!" he raised the baby high over his head and the crowd exploded into thunderous applause.

Harry grinned widely and squeezed Hermione's hand as the villagers below applauded and cheered. This time there would be no Tom Riddle to chase his son away. James would have two parents, and extended family who loved him every minute of his life.

'This was it,' Harry realised. His life had truly come full circle.

A/N: Well that's it for Circle of Life! Thanks to ALL of you who took the time to review my chapters, your comments and constructive criticisms really mean a lot to me!

I will be doing the epilogue to the RTM series plus the final chapter of Bridge to Caliadrien soon, plus I'm going to start a new story with another quite popular author on here ;) That should be up soon as well.

Thanks for reading!