Unofficial Portkey Archive

Sweet Home London by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Sweet Home London

Amynoelle

Author's note: Well, here it is the first chapter. I'm not going to go too much into detail here about what the story entails; you'll just have to read to find out. The first chapter does start out just a short time after the ending of the events in Circle of Friends. This story will be based loosely on the film "Sweet Home Alabama." The first chapters are going to be warm and fuzzy ones…I think ya'll deserve it after what I put you through with the last one! I hope you like this one. Please read and review! I am addicted to them and am seriously seeking help for this problem as we speak.

Chapter One

Scenes from a Holiday: Happiness

Just as the hubbub about the whole Harry-Ginny-Draco fiasco was dying down, the wizarding press had another media blitz waiting to take its place. The soap opera that was the life of Harry Potter had closed one chapter and opened up another that was proving just as intriguing as the last.

Despite every effort to keep it hush-hush, news of the engagement of the boy who lived to his best girl spread like wildfire in the wizarding world. Luckily, Harry and Hermione weren't around to experience most of the speculation, gossip and rumors. As planned, they embarked on their year-long holiday the day after their graduation from Hogwarts.

Rumors were running rampant about the reasons behind the engagement. Was Hermione pregnant? Had she used a love potion to snag the young man of her dreams? Their friends and family weren't talking. This didn't stop The Daily Prophet and Witch Weekly from running articles each day from "anonymous sources" and "acquaintances" who claimed to know when and where the nuptials would take place.


The actual truth was that no one knew when and where the nuptials would occur, let alone Harry and Hermione. As the publicity storm whirled back at home, they were busy enjoying sand, sun and fun in Hawaii. Best of all, no one recognized them. No one came forward and asked for an autograph. On the island, they were just two young tourists.

They'd been in Hawaii for two weeks. Hermione never knew how much fun having fun could actually be. There was no deadline, there were no assignments looming over their heads. There was just the two of them and there was all the time in the world. It was a little piece of heaven right on earth.

They hadn't made love, yet but not for lack of opportunity. It had been difficult enough to adhere to their promise back at Hogwarts. Yet, Hogwarts had nothing on the romantic setting that was Hawaii. Beautiful oceans, sandy beaches, sunsets and midnight strolls along the beach were enough to make even the most cynical person become romantic. Both their resolves were weakening with each day.

One Thursday morning, Harry awoke early. He'd made arrangements to go parasailing with a couple of guys they'd met on the beach. They'd asked Hermione to come along, but she'd vehemently, yet politely, declined. One romantic broom ride with Harry hadn't suddenly made her love being up in the air, miles off the ground.

"One last chance," he said, after he'd showered and dressed. She was still lying about in bed as he leaned down to kiss her before he left.

"You go and tell me how it is," she murmured sleepily.

"Are you just going to sleep around all day?" he asked her, as he packed a towel and some sunscreen in his bag.

"If I want to," she said, turning over on her back to look at him.

"You're getting quite good at this, you know," he said. "I am quite impressed."

"Thank you," she said. "I'd like to thank Ron for all he did to help me learn the value of just resting on my laurels."

"Well, you and your laurels have a good day," he said, smiling at her. "I love you."

"Yeah, I'm kind of crazy about you, too," she said, smiling at him.

She hadn't slept in all day, however. She woke up a little after nine and after a quick shower went downstairs to the hotel restaurant to grab a quick bite for breakfast. She visited one of the aquariums she'd read about in the travel book and arrived back at the hotel room shortly after lunch.

Harry hadn't returned yet and thinking that she should at least check in with her parents to see how they were doing, she picked up the telephone and dialed the number. It would be late in London, but she'd hoped that they hadn't gone to sleep just yet.

The phone rang a couple of times before her mother's familiar voice came over the line.

"Mum? It's me."

"Hermione?"

"I didn't wake you, did I?" she asked hesitantly.

"No," Karen Granger said. "Your father was reading and I was working on a puzzle. Where are you?"

The cool, clipped tone of her mother's voice didn't go unnoticed by Hermione. She could still remember the disapproving look her parents had given her and Harry as they'd departed that morning a fortnight ago.

"Hawaii," Hermione said. "We're having a great time. We've both been wearing sunscreen so you don't have to worry about that."

"Sunscreen is the least of my concerns," her mother said matter-of-factly.

Hermione chose to ignore this last comment.

"What are you doing?" her mother asked her concerned. "You're just a child."

"Not this again, please," Hermione sighed.

"Yes, this again," Karen said. "You and Harry have no idea what it takes to make a marriage work. You think its all romance and love and happiness. But, it's not. It takes work. It takes commitment. It takes knowing that you have responsibilities and doing what you can to build a home and a life together. It's not all good times, Hermione. You can't stay on holiday forever."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"I know all that," Hermione retorted angrily.

"No," Karen said. "I don't think you do. You've never been one to act so foolishly. You and Harry are just playing house right now. Just you wait until you have to make it in the real world and face real issues."

"I can't believe you are saying this!" Hermione said hotly. "We are not playing house! You make it sound so crude, Mum!"

"I'm just saying-" Karen began, but Hermione cut her off.

"When I was growing up, what was the one thing that you said you wanted for me above all else?"

"Hermione, I don't see what the point of any of this is," Karen replied.

"What was the one thing you said you wanted for me?" Hermione asked again.

Karen sighed. "I said I wanted you to be happy."

"Okay, then," Hermione said, her voice returning to normal. "Harry makes me happy, Mum."

"I'm not saying that you can't be with Harry, Hermione," her mother said. "Your father and I like him very much. And someday, down the line, if you want to get married, fine. But, this is way too soon to be throwing your life away like this. You have all the time in the world for this later."

"You don't know that," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes and an angry feeling coming over her yet again at how close-minded her mother was being. "No one knows how much time they have left. What happened with Daddy should have shown you that. Harry and I have come close to so many dangerous things in the past---things that you don't even know about, Mum. We might not have tomorrow, but we do have today. And I want to be with him for as long as I can. Nothing you say is going to make me change my mind."

"We agree on something, then," Karen said coolly. "Nothing you say is going to make me change my mind. You're making a big mistake, young lady."

"It's my mistake to make if I am," Hermione said angrily. "Not yours. Not Daddy's. Mine."

"I hope you don't think that when you and Harry come back home that your father and I are going to support the two of you, because if you do-"

But Hermione hadn't given her mother a chance to finish that sentence. She'd slammed the phone down and slumped down on the floor. Never in her life had she ever openly defied her parents as she'd done just now. She'd always been the dutiful, responsible daughter who toed the line and did as she was told. She knew in her heart that this was the right thing to do. She knew that this was what she was supposed to do. Nothing they could say was going to make her change her mind. Right here, right now, with him was exactly where she was supposed to be. And she wasn't stupid to think that they wouldn't have bad times, it was inevitable that they would as all couples did. But, Hermione had no doubt that no matter what life threw their way; they would make it through because they loved each other. Nothing would ever change that.

As she sat there on the edge of the bed, she was so caught up in reliving that awful conversation with her mother, she hadn't heard Harry come back into the room.

"Hermione?" he called to her.

"In the bedroom," she called out to him, struggling to get to her feet. She quickly wiped away the tears from her cheeks and tried to look calm and collected. When Harry walked into the bedroom, she couldn't help dissolving back into tears. He didn't say anything and quickly bridged the space between them and gave her a warm, comforting hug.

"What is it?" he asked her.

"I, um," Hermione choked out between sobs. "I c-called my parents back home."

Harry released her from the embrace. He frowned at her.


"How bad was it?"

"Pretty bad," she said, sitting down on the bed. "They still aren't keen on us getting married."

He hugged her again. "It's going to be okay."

She nodded and rested her head on his shoulder. When she'd finally collected her thoughts, she told him about the dreadful conversation.

"They've dug their collective heels in," she said sadly when she'd finish relating the telephone conversation to him. "They refuse to budge. Nothing I say is going to make them change their mind, Harry. Nothing."

"I'm sorry," he said, taking her hand in his.

Hermione looked at him, nonplussed. "What are you sorry for?"

"If it wasn't for me you wouldn't be having this problem with your parents," he said simply. "Things would be fine."

"Things are fine," Hermione affirmed. "This isn't your fault, Harry. I'm here with you because I want to be. This is where I want to be."

He smiled at her.

"You sure about that?"

She leaned in and brushed her lips lightly against his.

"Of course," she whispered. "There's nowhere else I'd rather be."

***********

The next couple of days went by in a bit of a blur for the two of them. They tried to get in as much of the Hawaiian culture as they could. In just three days, they'd be departing for Greece, the next stop on their trip.

On Friday afternoon, Hermione returned to the hotel room and called out to Harry, but to her surprise, he was nowhere to be found.

Come to think of it, he'd been quite secretive and evasive over the past couple of days. Every time she inquired about what he was up to, he'd change the subject. He was almost always the one begging for a few more minutes sleep, but the past couple of days, he'd been the first one awake. She'd find a note on the pillow next to her saying that he was going for a "run" and would be back before breakfast.

In all the years she'd known Harry, he'd never been one to get up early for exercise. Something was most definitely going on.

As she was naturally curious, she'd been looking around for hints, but so far, she had to admit he'd done quite a good job of keeping things quiet. She hadn't been able to deduce a single thing from his behavior; save for the fact that he was planning something.

She sighed as she sat on the edge of the bed and eased out of her sandals. Leaning back onto the bed, she rested her head on the fluffy pillow and was about to close her eyes when she noticed an envelope on the bedside table. In Harry's messy handwriting was her name "Hermione". She sat up on the bed and took the envelope in her hands. Without wasting any time, she opened it and unfolded the letter and began to read.

Hermione,

I bet you've been wondering what's been going on with me the last couple of days. I know I have been a little secretive, but tonight you'll find out everything. I promise. Be in the hotel lobby at 9:00 p.m. I can't wait to see you.

I love you,
Harry

"What on earth does he have planned?" she wondered aloud. A surge of excitement passed through her as she pondered over what the evening would hold for her. A romantic dinner? A walk on the beach? They'd already done those things a number of times since they'd been in Hawaii. If not that, what? She hoped he wasn't planning on getting her to bungee jump off the pier because if he thought she would do that, he was sorely mistaken.

Telling herself to just forget about trying to guess what it was and just look forward to the surprise whatever it may be, she lay back down on the bed. She had loads of time to get a quick kip in before she would have to get ready. She set the bedside alarm clock and then drifted off to sleep.

****

At around 8:55 p.m. that evening, Hermione found herself taking the lift down to the lobby. She was feeling both a sense of nervousness and excitement over what awaited her downstairs. She checked her reflection in the glass panel of the lift. The days they'd spent in Hawaii had given her a nice, brown tan. She wore a simple navy blue double v-neck sundress that was embroidered with small white flowers. She wore a pair of blue sandals on her feet and a pair of simple pearl drop earrings. She'd worn her hair down and with some Sleek-Easy Hair Potion had managed to tame her bushy brown hair into curly ringlets. She hadn't known why she'd taken such care in her appearance, but she felt like tonight she would need to. She said a silent prayer that she would be dressed appropriately for whatever it was Harry had planned. She wrapped her white shawl around her shoulders protectively as she stepped out of the lift and into the lobby. She scanned the crowded lobby for any sign of her boyfriend, but didn't see anyone under the age of 40 in the near vicinity.

As she approached the front desk, the concierge looked up expectantly at her.

"Miss Granger?" he beckoned to her.

Hermione smiled warmly at him and nodded.

"Mr. Potter is waiting for you down on the beach," he said winking at her. "Just go through the double doors to your left and follow the path down to the beach."

Hermione nodded. She was about to walk toward the doors, when she doubled back and asked the concierge conspiratorially, "Did he say what we were doing?"

The concierge beamed at her. "Mr. Potter said you would ask questions."

Hermione frowned. "He knows me too well."

The concierge guffawed. "He left strict orders not to tell you anything other than what I've already said."

Hermione nodded. "Thank you."

*********

It was a warm, starry night, Hermione noticed as she stepped outside. She saw that the pathway bridge leading to the beach was lit up.


"Harry?" she called out. There was no answer. She walked along the pathway and then her breath caught in her throat as she reached the top of the walkway.

Harry was standing against the railing, wearing a pair of khaki pants and a simple white linen shirt that wasn't tucked into his trousers. He looked as handsome as she'd ever seen him. He was practically beaming at her.

"Okay," she said, when she reached him. "What's with all the cloak and dagger routine you've been running the past few days? The jig is up, Potter."

He smiled.

"You look beautiful," he said, taking her hands in his.

"Thanks," she said softly, as she tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "You look rather nice, too."

"Thanks," he said, winking at her.

"So, what are we doing down here on the beach?" she asked cheekily. "Surely, you don't plan on jumping into the ocean stark naked, do you?"

"Hmmm," he said, rubbing his chin with his hand. "Maybe later."

She playfully hit him on the arm.

"Well, I was wondering if you weren't busy tonight, we could sort of make it official."

"Make what official?" she asked, confused.

"I want to marry you, Hermione," he said, bringing her closer to him. "Tonight."

She gasped. "Tonight?"

"Yeah, I mean, you couldn't ask for a more perfect setting," he said, gesturing with his free arm to the ocean. "And I've found a minister from one of the wedding chapels. He's just inside waiting for the word."

He looked at her, his green eyes staring intently into her eyes. "What do you say, Hermione?"

She felt tears welling up in her eyes. "I say yes."

His smile broadened. "Really?"

She nodded giddily at him. "Let's do it."

"I know it's not what we planned and we don't have our friends and family here," he said apologetically.

"We just need the two of us," she said, reassuringly. "That's all."

"Well, let's go get that minister, then," he said, taking her hand and leading her back toward the hotel.

"You don't think you'd go through with this without me, do you?" a familiar voice called to them. Hermione stopped dead in her tracks and looked at Harry, who grinned at her knowingly.

Hermione turned slowly around to see Ron Weasley grinning like a Cheshire cat at her.

"Ron!" Hermione said, letting go of Harry's hand and running into her best friend's waiting arms.

"I'm not going to be the maid of honor, though," he said, when she finally let go of him. "I have to draw the line somewhere."

"Of course," Hermione said, with a laugh. "Besides, there's not enough time to get you into a dress."

"It's not like he hasn't worn one before," Harry chimed in.

Ron glared at him. "We agreed never to bring that up again."

Harry shook his head. "I don't remember ever saying that."

Hermione stepped between them. "How did you get here?"

"Apparated a few hours ago," Ron said. "Harry apparated back to London yesterday to see if I could make it. Luna sends her love. She wished she could have come, but she went on holiday with her father to visit some relatives in Scotland."

Hermione nodded. "I'm so glad you're here. It wouldn't have seemed complete if you weren't here with us."

"I wouldn't have missed it," Ron said. "You will have to put up with Mum's wrath, though. When she finds out that you got married without her present, she'll throw a conniption fit the likes of which you've never seen before."

Hermione and Harry laughed.

"Ron!" Hermione said, suddenly. "I just thought of something! You could give me away!"

Ron looked quite touched by this request. "You'd really want me to do this?"

Hermione nodded.

"Best man and substitute father of the bride, huh?" Ron asked, pretending to think this over. "This doesn't mean I have to talk with Harry about treating my little girl right, do I?"

The three friends shared another laugh before walking arm and arm into the hotel lobby to get the minister to begin the ceremony.

****

Harry stood at the end of the walkway in front of the minister, who smiled at him as they waited for Hermione and Ron. She had found a bouquet of tropical flowers and she held them with trembling hands. Ron had linked his arm with hers as they walked down the walkway toward Harry.

The ceremony was short and simple and both Harry and Hermione held each other's glances as they listened to the words the minister said and as they repeated their vows to each other.

Hermione managed not to cry until Harry slipped the wedding band onto her finger. It was the happiest moment of her life. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been for her parents to have witnessed it. It was their loss that they hadn't witnessed the happiest day of their daughter's life, she reasoned to herself. She quickly put those thoughts out of her mind. Nothing was going to bring her down tonight.

When the minister pronounced them husband and wife, Harry didn't wait for the minister to tell him before quickly kissing his new wife.

As neither of them were 21, they had to enjoy sparkling grape cider for the wedding toast. Although Ron teased them about going back up to the hotel room with them, he told them he had to get back home. With a heartfelt and warm goodbye to his two best friends, he disapparated.

Hermione felt elated, happy and loved as she and Harry waited for the lift in the lobby to take them back upstairs to their room.

"We're married," she said, thoughtfully.

"Is that what we just did?" he asked her cheekily.

"Mmmm," she said, leaning in for a kiss.

"Now for the fun stuff," he said. "The honeymoon."

In a few minutes, they were both standing in front of their hotel room. Harry fished the keycard from his trouser pocket and opened the door. Hermione was about to follow him through the doorway when he stopped.

"What?" she asked.

"I have to carry you," he said. "Over the threshold. It's tradition."

"Oh," she said, laughing. "I forgot about that. We wouldn't want to break with tradition, now would we?'

"Of course not," he said, leaning down and picking her up. She wrapped her arms around his neck as they walked through the doorway. "I love you, Mrs. Potter."

She looked at him as he carried her toward the bedroom.

"I love you, too, Mr. Potter."