Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Times Are Changing by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Times Are Changing

TheGreatFox2000

::stretch:: Lol. Two chapters and I have to think for ideas. Mmmmm bagel bites ::drools::

DISCLAIMER: The values to which I own anything here are non-existent. :)

---------------

Chapter 3: Courage and Loyalty

It had been a week since the news of Harry's impending battle with Voldemort had arrived, but surprisingly, not much had changed. The majority of the 6th year Gryffindors knew about it, and Dumbledore had visited the common room personally, in which he requested the news of the events that were taking place in three weeks time to be kept secret. Naturally, the students had abided by the headmaster's request.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting having dinner in the great hall, and the conversation drifted towards the battle that was going to take place in three weeks.

"Listen Harry," began Hermione. "A lot of the Gryffindors have been asking me about what's going to happen, and I really don't know what to tell them." Harry looked at her.

"What's there not to tell?" he asked.

"Well it's just...you have a better idea than any of us how this will happen, since you're the only student here who's ever dueled with Voldemort, so I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to have a meeting with the rest of the Gryffindors in the common room, you know, to let them know what will happen." Harry pondered this for a moment.

"Yeah, and I'd like to tell Luna if you don't mind," said Ron.

"Dumbledore said not to tell anyone outside of Gryffindor," said Hermione with a 'this isn't something to joke about' look on her face.

"Fine, then I'll ask him about it." Hermione rolled her eyes, but let it drop nonetheless.

"So will you do it Harry?"

"Mmm?" said Harry through a mouthful of food.

"Will you do the meeting?" asked Hermione again.

"Oh." Harry swallowed his food and sighed. "Yeah, I don't suppose it can hurt, and besides, it could keep the original information from spreading around the school."

"That's what I was thinking," said Hermione with a weak smile.

"Then it's settled, tomorrow night, we'll have the meeting in the common room, and put all the questions to rest." The three of them motioned to leave, but Ron spoke up.

"Hold on, I want to ask Dumbledore now, before I forget later." Ron strode off towards the staff table.

"Yes Mr. Weasley?" asked Professor McGonagal.

"I, uh, was wondering if I could talk to Professor Dumbledore for a moment." She looked at Dumbledore and he nodded. Ron leaned over the table so as not to be overheard.

"I was wondering if I could tell my girlfriend about what's going to happen. She's in Ravenclaw though, and I thought it would be best to ask you first," finished Ron. Dumbledore smiled.

"Luna?" he asked.

"Yeah," replied Ron.

"I see no problem in telling her, as long as she fully understands that she is not to relay the information to anyone and I mean anyone else."

"That won't be a problem," said Ron grinning. "Thanks." Dumbledore just smiled and nodded, and Ron exited the great hall to join his friends.

=====

Two nights later most of the Gryffindors were assembled in the common room to hear Harry. Hermione had made sure that most everyone in their house knew about it, and that this would be their one chance to have answers.

Harry was just sitting in a chair by the fire (Hermione had warned people not to bother him until the meeting started), contemplating what he was going to say.

Finally Hermione shushed everyone down and began to explain the situation.

"Ok, here's how this is going to work," she started. "Harry will answer ALL of your questions, but if there isn't order, we'll simply stop the meeting and you all can wait three weeks to find out the answers to your questions," she said threateningly. "Any problems?" No one said anything. "Good. Harry?"

"I'm here," Harry said, and turned his chair around to face the room. Immediately almost everyone raised their hands. "Dean?" The room quieted to hear Dean's question.

"Well, I'm just curious, but uh, what exactly is going to happen in three weeks?" Dean asked. This prompted a murmur of assent from the room, and a sigh from Harry.

"There really isn't an easy answer to that," he said. "I can't predict the future, so I have no idea how it will go down, but I can tell you how it will start. What will happen is that 2 weeks from next Saturday, myself, Dumbledore, and a majority of the staff will go to Hogsmeade. The Order of the Phoenix has been informed by one of it's spies that Voldemort-" a shiver ran through the room at the mention of the Dark Lord's name. "-plans to come to Hogsmeade with his army of death eaters, in an attempt to hunt me down and ambush me. Myself, Dumbledore and the rest of the staff will wait in hiding, and when he and his death eaters appear, we will launch a surprise attack. Hopefully, the staff will be able to distract the death eaters long enough for me to attack Voldemort." The room was silent. "That's it. Any more questions?"

Slowly, Seamus raised his hand, but this time he was accompanied by only three or four others.

"How...how exactly do ye plan on killing you-know-who?" asked Seamus.

"Voldemort?" replied Harry, to which the entire room expressed discomfort. Seamus nodded his head. "I haven't been informed by Dumbledore as to exactly how I'm supposed to kill him, but Dumbledore has promised me that by the time the battle comes, I will know what I'm supposed to do." The room looked satisfied with this answer. Ginny, however, had raised her hand immediately.

"Yes Ginny?" asked Hermione.

"Can those of us who wish to fight alongside you and the staff come as well?" she asked. The expression on Harry's face after this question was asked was half of sorrow, and half gratitude.

"No. Dumbledore and myself have agreed that if there are to be any casualties on our side, they will not be from students at this school who have their entire lives ahead of them."

"What about you then?" asked Neville.

"This," Harry replied. "Is my fate. If Voldemort is meant to be defeated, then I shall live. If not, then I will die. It comes down to either, I live and we at least have peace, or I die and it was my destiny from the beginning. None of you have any direct involvement in this anyway," he added.

"But if Voldemort wins then the entire world will be his for the conquering! I think that makes pretty much involved no matter what you say." Ginny said emphatically. There was general agreement throughout the room after this.

"Look, there's nothing I can do about it. If you want to fight, go to Dumbledore and ask him yourselves," Harry said firmly.

For about 10 seconds after Harry said this, the room went silent. Then, without saying a word, Ginny got up and walked out of the common room through the portrait hole. Dean watched this, then stood up.

"I'm with her on this one mate," he said, and followed her. Seamus was the next to leave, and after him all of the students who had assembled for the meeting simply stood up and left the common room, leaving just Ron, Hermione, and Harry standing alone. A tear formed in Hermione's eye, and she went over to Harry and hugged him. Harry was standing there in shock.

"They all want to fight for you," said Hermione sniffling.

"I can't believe it," said Harry in awe. It was the first time that Harry could remember that the entire house had united for one cause.

"Well what are we waiting for?!" yelled Ron. "Let's go!" And with that Ron grabbed Harry and Hermione by the arms and pulled them through the portrait hole to follow the rest of the students.

As the three of them approached the stone gargoyle, they could see that at least one of the Gryffindors knew the password, because there was no one waiting outside of the office.

"Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans," said Ron, and the statue sprang to life.

When the three of them reached the landing, they could hear shouts of protest coming from inside the headmaster's office. Hermione didn't bother to knock, she simply pulled the door open. One by one the students realized who had joined them, and became quiet. Dumbledore, who was sitting at his desk, stood up when Harry entered.

"Are you here to protest against me too Harry?" said Dumbledore with a smile.

"No sir," Harry replied. "Just here to see what the verdict is."

"Ah," said Dumbledore. "Well it seems we have quite a few people here who wish to aid you Harry." There was a shout of agreement from the crowd. Harry looked at his feet. "And it just so happens, that I have made a decision regarding the matter." Immediately all eyes were upon the headmaster. "In two days time, everyone who wishes to help Harry here, will assemble in the Room of Requirement to..." he looked as though he was choosing his words carefully, "display your abilities. Harry, myself, and Professors McGonagal, Snape, and Flitwick will analyze your skills. Those of you who we deem acceptable, may fight with us in Hogsmeade. Note however, that those of you who are chosen to fight, will have to stay with us through the Easter Holiday, as I absolutely refuse to take any students into battle without being fully prepared."

Most of the students looked satisfied with this decision, and there were no more arguments.

"I assume Harry, that you have no objection to this?" asked Dumbledore.

"No sir."

"Very good," he said with a hint of a smile. "Now, it is getting rather late, so I must ask all of you to return to your respective dorms and get some sleep." The Gryffindors turned to go when Dumbledore spoke again.

"Harry?" Harry turned. "A moment please?" Harry nodded and moved aside to let the others go through the door. Ron and Hermione remained as well.

"Harry, tomorrow I will begin to train you to battle Voldemort and the death eaters. Please meet me in the Room of Requirement tomorrow as soon as possible after dinner." Harry nodded. "Of course," Dumbledore continued, "You two are welcome to come as well, as I have no doubt that either of you would show a lack of skill in two days time," said Dumbledore to Ron and Hermione, both of whom blushed a little after hearing this.

"Professor?" asked Harry.

"Yes?"

"Um....what exactly are you going to teach me that will help me against Voldemort?" The question caught Ron and Hermione's attention, and they looked up. Dumbledore's smile faded, and a look of almost sadness appeared on his face.

"Professor?" inquired Harry.

"I am going to teach you Avada Kedavra," said Dumbledore sighing heavily. Hermione clasped her hands over her mouth and Ron's eyes widened in horror. Harry, however, simply nodded. "Now go, you three have a lot to sleep on," said the headmaster, his warm smile returning to his face. The three of them left the office in silence, and when they arrived in the common room, there were no words spoken, they all simply went to bed.

=====

Harry was not able to concentrate in his classes the next day, nor by what he could tell, could Ron or Hermione. The day was completely uneventful, except for Neville's accident in potions which resulted in him losing his senses of smell and taste. Classes seemed to drag on like a History of Magic session right before the Christmas Holiday. At dinner it was apparent that they were all nervous, because none of them were eating anything.

"Oh by the way Harry, I told Luna everything, she'll be there tomorrow too," said Ron hopefully.

"Tell her thanks for me." Harry took a sip of pumpkin juice and said, "Do you mind if we get going now? It doesn't look like any of us are going to eat anything." The other two agreed and they set off for the 7th floor.

When they arrived 5 minutes later they found Dumbledore already waiting for them. Dumbledore had configured the room to be like that of a muggle shooting range, and at the end of the range, was a strange dark red statue.

"I'm glad you're here," said Dumbledore simply. "That statue there," he said pointing at the statue at the far end of the range, "is a rather clever invention of mine. It measures the power of your spells. When your spells are strong enough to inflict the most amount of damage, it will shatter, and another one will take its place." Harry looked at Ron and Hermione with a confused look. "Let me demonstrate," Dumbledore said. He raised his wand and pointed it at the statue.

"Avada Kedavra," Dumbledore spoke, almost with laziness in his voice. A blast of green light erupted from the tip of his wand, sped down the range, and hit the statue which proceeded to explode in magnificent form. Dumbledore turned to Harry who was still reeling a little from the blast. "Now you try."

Harry stepped up to the edge of the range and raised his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!" said Harry almost in a yell. A thin jet of green light shot from the end of his wand and struck the statue. However, instead of exploding, the statue glowed a bright pink, and then after about 5 seconds, returned to its original color of dark red. He looked at Dumbledore, who, to Harry's surprise, was smiling.

"That was very good for a first attempt," Dumbledore said cooly. Try again, but this time fill yourself with emotions of anger, hatred, and despair. Harry nodded and again raised his wand. He thought about the night that Cedric had been murdered right next to him.

"Avada Kedavra!" Harry bellowed. Again, a jet of green light, a little wider than last time struck the statue. This time the statue turned a brighter shade of pink, but that was all. Dumbledore spoke.

"That's enough," he said. "Perhaps you would like to try, Mr. Weasley? Or you, Miss Granger?" Harry turned to look at Ron, who's face was very pale. Hermione was just looking at her feet.

"I'll try," said Hermione shakily. Harry stepped out of the way. Slowly and shaking, Hermione raised her wand.

"A-avada Kedavra," she said in a soft voice. A needle-thin green light emanated from the end of her wand and hit the statue. The statue did not change color. She looked at Dumbledore.

"Try again," he said. "But do not be afraid of your own power." Hermione nodded and raised her wand.

"Avada Kedavra!" Hermione shouted in a much sterner voice. This time, a bolt of green light erupted from her wand and hit the statue. The statue glowed brightly, bordering on white, but did not break. Hermione sighed.

"Very good Miss Granger," said Dumbledore patting her on the shoulder. "Mr Weasley, are you well enough to give it a try?" Ron did not speak, but merely walked to the edge of the range. He pointed his wand at the statue, and suddenly the color returned to his face in a rush.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!!!" he roared. A blast of green light shot from the end of Ron's wand. The statue turned white and began to shake violently, but did not break.

"Accio!" said Dumbledore pointing at the statue. The statue flew to the front of the range and landed in front of the headmaster, who proceeded to examine it. Ron still had his wand in the air.

"Look here." Dumbledore was pointing to a small fracture in the statue. "Very good Mr. Weasley. How interesting.....very well, that's enough for today, using this spell too much in a short period of time can waste one's energy to nothing. Please don't forget to be here tomorrow so we can rate the abilites of your classmates as well." The three of them turned to leave and saw that Dumbledore was smiling again.

Back in the common room Ron flopped himself in an armchair, while Harry and Hermione sat down on the couch. After about 5 minutes, Harry broke the silence.

"How'd you do that Ron?"

"Do what?"

"Your spell, it was so powerful....." Ron's face went from gray to beet red in about two seconds.

"Well Dumbledore said to fill myself with hatred and stuff."

"So what'd you think about?"

"Percy."

Harry could tell that the conversation was over. The three of them sat there in silence until Hermione fell asleep with her head on Harry's shoulder.

"...Hermione?" asked Harry nudging her gently. She was sound asleep.

"I don't think she's going to wake," said Ron in a hushed voice.

"Well we can't leave her here."

"And we can't take her back to her dorm because we're boys," said Ron in mock disgust.

"Let's go," said Harry decisively, picking up Hermione. "Neville's still in hospital from the potions accident, she can sleep in his bed." Ron nodded and Harry carried Hermione up the stairs to the boys dorm. They entered and found that Dean and Seamus were still awake, but in their respective beds.

"What's she doin' here?" whispered Seamus.

"She's asleep, and she's too asleep for us to wake her up. We're gonna let her sleep in Neville's bed tonight," replied Harry. Dean and Seamus had no objection to this, so Harry laid Hermione in the bed, and then went with Ron to change into his pajamas. When they came back, they turned off the lights and everyone went to sleep.

=====

The next morning when Harry woke up Hermione was still asleep, but Ron, Dean, and Seamus had already left. Harry got dressed, went over to Hermione, who was sleeping in her robes from the previous day, and sat down on the bed next to her. Harry couldn't help watching her sleep a little. She was so peaceful.

"Hermione?" Harry asked after about a minute, softly rubbing her shoulder. She stirred.

"Mmmm....Harry?" she asked. "Wha-what happened? Why am I here?" she asked failing to stifle a yawn.

"You fell asleep in the common room last night, and since Ron and I couldn't leave you there or bring you to your dorm, we brought you here to sleep in Neville's bed."

"What about Neville?"

"He's still in hospital from the potions accident."

"Oh," said Hermione yawning again. "Thanks Harry.

"No problem." The two of them looked at each other for a little while until Hermione looked away.

"Well I should probably go to my room and get changed from these old things," she said.

"Ok. Meet you in the common room?" asked Harry. Hermione nodded and departed. Harry remained siting in Neville's bed for about three minutes, then left to go downstairs.

Harry and Hermione arrived in the common room at the same time, and Hermione went over and looked straight into Harry's eyes.

"Thanks."

"You said thanks already," said Harry, a smile appearing on his face. The two of them stood there looking at each other until Harry remembered that they had classes in about 30 minutes, and they hadn't had breakfast yet.

"We should probably get going," he said.

"Yeah let's."

They arrived in the great hall and found that Ron was still stuffing his face.

"Glad 'oo see you 'uys made if," said Ron through a mouthful of food. Harry chuckled and sat down next to him, Hermione sat down next to Harry.

For the most part, breakfast was eaten in silence, except for the occasional "pass the eggs". Harry couldn't stop thinking about the impending evening. About how his classmates were going to do. About how Hermione was going to do. Hermione. Why was he thinking about her so much? He hadn't felt this way since Cho. All of a sudden it dawned on Harry. He liked Hermione! But why? She was a friend, one of his best friends, but only a friend....right? He glanced at Hermione but she didn't notice and he said nothing. He shook the thought from his head and resumed eating breakfast.

Classes passed excruciatingly slow that day, and as dinner rolled around, a feeling entered Harry that he knew very well. It was the same feeling that he had before the first task of the Triwizard tournament 2 years ago. Dinner passed in silence, but at least the trio was eating this time. After they were done Ron spoke up.

"Well, ready?" he asked. Harry nodded.

"Yeah," he replied. "Hermione?" Harry looked at Hermione.

"Ok," she said. The three of them left the great hall and walked towards the Room of Requirement. They reached the door and Harry stopped.

"You ready?" he asked. Both Ron and Hermione nodded.

"Let's go then." Harry said. And with that he opened the door and the three of them stepped inside.

---------------

MMMMMMMMM FEEEEEEDBACK!!!! Yum.... :)