Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Times Are Changing by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Times Are Changing

TheGreatFox2000

A/N: This chapter is a little long, so grab a coke and a smile, 'cuz you're gonna be here for a while. (wow that rhymed) :)

DISCLAIMER: Do I really have to say it again?

---------------

Chapter 4: Trials, Training, and House-Elves

The Room of Requirement was already fairly full when Harry, Ron, and Hermione entered. Harry could tell that Dumbledore had configured the room very differently from when he, Ron and Hermione were there last night. There was a big black sheet blocking the other half of the room from where they were, and there were chairs in which most of the people were sitting. The students were talking amongst themselves, so the three of them were able to make their way over to Dumbledore without attracting much attention. Professors McGonagal, Snape, and Flitwick were already there.

McGonagal's face was that of sadness and concern, and Flitwick's was of doubt, but when Harry looked at Snape, he saw neither hatred nor disgust. Snape's face was completely void of expression, and when he saw Harry, he simply shifted his attention to the students.

"Hello Harry," said Dumbledore with a warm smile. "I am glad to see you made it."

"Thanks," replied Harry.

"Perhaps it would be best if you two went and took your seats," Dumbledore said to Ron and Hermione.

"Yeah," replied Ron. "I'm going to go find Luna." Ron walked off to look for his girlfriend.

"You'll be ok Harry," said Hermione who noticed that Harry was looking extremely nervous.

"I....just don't understand how I can grade everyone like this, in front of everyone else."

"I know, but hey, at least you're not as nervous as us. We have to perform in front of everyone else, let alone grade."

"True," replied Harry. Hermione made to give him a hug, but Harry spoke before she could accomplish this.

"Maybe, uh, you should go and sit down, I think we're gonna start soon."

".....ok," said Hermione slightly taken aback. She walked off and sat down next to Ron, who had found Luna. They were in deep conversation.

"If I could have everyone's attention...." Dumbledore began. The room silenced. "I think we are ready to begin." A couple people shifted uncomfortably. "Each of you will partake in three trials tonight. They will measure your magical strength, your intelligence, and finally, your composure in radical situations. In each of these events Professors McGonagal, Snape, Flitwick, myself, and Harry will grade you on a Pass/Fail basis. To pass an trial, you must be graded with a "pass" by 4 out of 5 of us. You must pass at least two of the events in order to be accepted. However, if you pass the first two, you will still take the third trial for our own information. After you are finished, whether by choice or completion, you will leave and return to your respective dormitories. Are there any questions?" No one raised their hands. Through the crowd, Harry could see Luna holding Ron's hand very tightly.

"Very well. Those of you who pass will return here tomorrow after dinner. When your name is called, you will walk through the black sheet." Harry could see a wave of relief come over the rest of the students. They were not going to have to perform while being watched by everyone else, and he was not going to have to grade everyone while being watched. Dumbledore looked at McGonagal, and she nodded.

"Come with us Potter," she said, and she, Harry, Snape, and Flitwick walked through the black sheet. Harry expected to see some sort of difficult-looking thing, or at least the statue from the night before, but all he saw was the other half of the room, devoid of all objects. From the other side of the sheet Harry heard Dumbledore call Parvati Patil's name.

Parvati walked through the sheet, followed by Dumbledore, who tapped it with his wand after passing through. It immediately became a solid wall.

"Miss Patil, this portion of the room is now soundproof, so if you feel the need to let out any emotions, you may do so without worry of being overheard," said Dumbledore. Parvati nodded. "Your first task will be to measure your magical strength." Dumbledore flicked his wand, and the statue Harry had sent the killing curse at last night appeared. "You must send a stunner at this statue. If your spell is at its most powerful strength, the statue will be knocked over." Parvati nodded.

"What exactly is the criteria here?" Harry whispered to Professor McGonagal.

"Instincts, Potter, instincts," she said without shifting her gaze. Harry turned back at Parvati. She raised her wand.

"Stupefy!" she yelled. A jet of red light erupted from her wand and hit the statue. The statue rocked slightly, but stayed standing.

"Pass," said Flitwick.

"Pass," said Dumbledore

"Fail," said Snape.

"Fail," said McGonagal.

"You have failed the first task Miss Patil," said Dumbledore. Harry was thankful that he did not have to grade her. "Your second task is intelligence. I will ask you a question, and you must answer it best as possible."

Parvati nodded and said, "Ok."

"What would you do if you found yourself dueling with a death eater, and he sent Avada Kedavra at you?" Dumbledore asked. Parvati pondered this a moment.

"Try to dodge it and then stun him?" she responded. Dumbledore looked at Harry and the teachers. Snape failed her, but 'Pass' was the answer from Dumbledore, McGonagal, Harry, and Flitwick.

"You have passed the second task. I will now project an image into your mind, which will show how well you can respond to dire events." Dumbledore said. "Please close your eyes." Parvati abided, and Dumbledore raised his wand. Harry couldn't tell what was happening, but obviously whatever Dumbledore was showing her was causing her discomfort, there were tears welling in her eyes. After about 10 seconds it was apparent that she couldn't take whatever she was watching anymore.

"NO!" she shrieked and dropped to her knees sobbing. "I....I saw....my mother being tortured and killed," she said in between sobs. "Please...no more....I'm sorry."

"There is no need for apologies," said Dumbledore consoling her. "You may go now." Dumbledore walked to the wall, touched it his wand, and it turned back into a curtain which he lifted for Parvati to walk through. "Jack Sloper," Dumbledore announced.

The trials continued for several hours. Ginny, Dean, Seamus, Luna, and surprisingly, Neville had all passed, along with several other Gryffindors. However, the majority of the room had failed, including Lavender and both Creevey brothers. Finally, just Ron and Hermione were left.

"Ron Weasley," said Dumbledore. Ron kissed Luna on the lips (this surprised Harry, not that Luna was still there, Dumbledore had said she could stay until Ron and Hermione were done, but that Ron's relationship with her had progressed to this level) and walked through the curtain. Dumbledore summoned the statue.

"A stunner please," said Dumbledore. Ron nodded and closed his eyes. Harry saw blood rush to his face. Ron opened his eyes and raised his wand.

"STUPEFY!!!" he bellowed. A blast of red light erupted from the tip of Ron's wand and struck the statue, which proceeded to fly off the ground and be smashed upon the wall in the back of the room.

"Pass," was the response from all five judges simultaneously.

"Ron, what would you do if confronted by a death eater who was about to curse you with Avada Kedavra?" Dumbledore asked. Without hesitation Ron responded,

"Dodge and counter-curse." This was again met with a "pass" by all five judges.

"Ron I'm now going to project an image into your head, please close your eyes," said Dumbledore raising his wand.

Ron closed his eyes, and immediately his fists clenched. Harry could see Ron gritting his teeth, but no matter how much anger and hatred entered Ron, he managed to suppress it all, to which everyone passed him except for Snape.

"Very good Ron," said Dumbledore with a smile. "Please get Hermione." Ron nodded and left. A few seconds later Hermione entered. She smiled at Harry, but he kept his expression professional and stiff. Dumbledore conjured a new statue to replace Ron's.

"Miss Granger, please stun the statue." Dumbledore said. Hermione raised her wand.

"Stupefy!" she yelled. A jet of red light hit the statue, which teetered on its back edge, but did not fall.

"Pass," said Flitwick.

"Pass," said Dumbledore.

"Fail," said Snape.

"Pass," said McGonagal. There was a pause while everyone turned and looked at Harry.

"......fail," he fainlly said. Dumbledore cocked his head at Harry in bewilderment. Hermione's expression was that of surprise and sadness, McGonagal, Flitwick, and Snape's were confused. Dumbledore then asked her the question he had asked everyone else, to which Hermione replied,

"Dodge and stun." Flitwick, Dumbledore, and McGonagal passed her immediately, but when Snape's turn came, he paused. Harry looked at Snape and saw that the potions master was looking right back at him.

"Pass," said Snape after much consideration. Harry could not believe that he had passed Hermione after failing everyone else whom had given the same answer.

"Miss Granger please close your eyes, I will now project a vision into your head." Hermione did so, but not before throwing a look of sadness and confusion at Harry. Dumbledore noticed this, but did nothing.

Hermione's performance was very good. There was no anger, no emotion, just a single tear that ran down her face onto her robes during the time Dumbledore was projecting images into her mind. At last it was over, and Hermione was passed before Harry had a chance to vote.

"Very good Miss Granger," Dumbledore said. As you were the last person, you and Harry may leave now.

As Harry and Hermione walked through the black curtain, they saw Ron and Luna engaged in an emotional kiss near the entrance to the room. Harry and Hermione stood there in shock until Hermione came to her senses and cleared her throat.

"Oh.....uh, sorry guys," said Ron apologetically. "I think I should go now," he said to Luna.

"Can you walk me back to Ravenclaw?" she asked. Ron looked at Harry and Hermione. Hermione rolled her eyes and told him to go. Ron and Luna departed, and Harry spoke.

"Well um, let's go," he said. Hermione said nothing, she just motioned him to go, and she followed.

When they arrived back in the common room, they stood there in silence for a few minutes.

"Well....I'm getting tired," remarked Harry. "I think I'll go to bed."

"...ok. Sleep well," she replied.

"Uh, thanks. You too," said Harry, his mind clearly elsewhere.

That night as Harry was lying in bed he thought about Hermione.

"I can't let there be anything between us right now, not before this battle. If I die, then it'll only be harder on her. I can't. I won't," he thought. These were Harry's thoughts as he drifted into sleep.

The next day when Harry walked into the common room, he found Hermione waiting for him.

"Hi sleepy," she said with a grin. "I thought we could go and have breakfast together."

"Um, actually I was kinda hoping I could go have breakfast by myself," he replied. "I just want to think about last night without any distractions." He could see that his last sentence had hurt Hermione. "I'm not talking about you of course," he added hastily. "I just want to be alone for right now."

"Oh, well that's ok. I was actually going to go to the library anyway. I need to do research on my project for Binns." Harry knew that this project was not due until the end of the school year (and also that Hermione had actually already completed it), but did nothing.

"Ok," he said. "See you later."

=====

Dinner was the same as breakfast for Harry. He ate alone, and fairly quickly. After he was done he remembered that he had to be in the Room of Requirement.

When he entered he the first thing he saw was Luna and Ron sitting next to each other. Luna had her head on Ron's shoulder, and they were holding hands. Hermione was sitting next to them and turned to see who had come in. When she saw Harry she waived, but Harry ignored this and went over to Dumbledore. He noticed at this point that the room was back as it was two nights ago, like a shooting range.

"Hello Professor," he said.

"Hello Harry. Please take your seat so we can begin." Harry nodded and turned around. He saw that Hermione had visibly moved an empty chair next to her, but Harry sat in the front of the class. Dumbledore quieted them.

"While you are here, you will learn to master two spells," he said. "The stunner, and Avada Kedavra." A gasp came from the room as he said this. "You will learn the theory of each spell and how to use it. Please stand." Each of the students stood, and Dumbledore made the chairs vanish.

"As most of you already know the stunner, we will spend most of this and next week learning Avada Kedavra. We will review both spells in the week before the battle." Dumbledore paused and surveyed the room. "Avada Kedavra is an evil curse, therefore, it is necessary to understand that in order to cast it at its full power, you must subject yourself to hatred and misery on your own. This principle generally works with most spells, but does not play a move obvious role than in Avada Kedavra and the Cruciatus Curse. We will now begin. Each of you, partner up. You will each take turns practicing Avada Kedavra by firing at the statue-" Dumbledore waved his wand and a dark red statue appeared in each of the lanes, "-in your lane of the range."

Each of the students began choosing partners, and during this process, Harry noticed Hermione waving at him motioning him to come and be her partner.

"Um, Professor, is it ok if I partner with you this time?" Harry asked Dumbledore. Dumbledore looked at Harry, then followed his line of sight to Hermione. A look of understanding suddenly dawned on the headmaster's face.

"Yes, Harry, I have no problem with that."

"Thanks." Harry turned away from Hermione towards the range, and Hermione put her hand down.

"Is it just me, or is he avoiding you all of a sudden?" asked Ron, now resting his head on Luna's (which was still on his shoulder even though they were standing).

"I-I don't know," she replied. "I guess he must be, but why?" She turned to face Ron. "I haven't done anything wrong have I?" Tears were starting to well in her eyes.

"Not that I know of. You should ask him."

"Yeah....." said Hermione, her voice trailing off.

As the "class" progressed, each of the students learned how to properly cast each spell, and by the end of the class, it was easy to tell that everyone had improved.

"Very good," Dumbledore said when the class had ended. "We will meet here every night after dinner until Hogsmeade. You may all go now."

Hermione left before everyone else without even glancing at Harry, and Harry thought that perhaps he had finally managed to distance himself from her successfully.

He could not have been more wrong.

When Harry entered the common room that night (he was the last to leave the Room of Requirement, so therefore he was the last to enter the common room) he found Hermione sleeping in the chair by the fire. He paused for a moment, considering his options, but then remembered that he was supposed to stay away from her. So he tiptoed over to the stairs in an attempt not to wake her, but as he reached the stairwell, one of the floorboards creaked, and Hermione woke.

"Harry?" she asked. "Not even going to say good night to me?"

"Sorry," he said starting to ascend the steps. "Good night."

"Wait!" Harry stopped. He was starting to become frustrated that Hermione was so intent on capturing his attention when he was so clearly displaying that he wanted to be away from her.

"Can we talk?" she asked.

"I'd really prefer not to," he responded. He motioned to starting climbing the stairs again.

"Harry I need to know what's going on, and if we're still friends." This startled Harry. His objective was never to break his friendship with Hermione, only to keep away from a physical relationship.

"Fine," Harry said. He turned around, descended the stairs and slumped onto the couch.

"Harry, why have you been ignoring me?"

"Uh............" he couldn't think of a good excuse. Hermione was looking at him with sadness. "I don't know," he finally responded.

"Did I do something?" she asked.

"No, it's not that...."

"Then what?!" she cried. Tears were starting to run down her face. "We've been friends for 6 years and all of sudden you're acting as if I don't exist! WHY?!" she was now crying hysterically.

"It doesn't matter," Harry responded. "Besides, Ron doesn't care this much, why do you?"

"Well first of all you haven't been ignoring Ron! Second, it's because...because..." Hermione's voice faltered and she looked into Harry's eyes through tears. Suddenly it dawned on Harry.

"You...-" Harry couldn't finish putting the words together, but he understood. Hermione buried her face in the chair and nodded.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I have to go." Harry turned and sprinted up the stairs to his dorm. Hermione heard the door close in the distance and continued to cry into the chair.

Harry got undressed and climbed into his bed. Everyone else was already asleep.

"This isn't fair," he thought. "Why can't she see this? Why can't she see that we can't be together right now. WHY DOES SHE LOVE ME?!" Harry then realized that he had shouted this last bit out loud. Everyone woke up.

"Huh?" asked Ron sleepily. "Who loves you?"

"Uh............" Harry needed a quick answer. "Ms. Norris," he replied with the first name that came to his mind. This prompted a laugh from Dean, Seamus, and Ron.

"Are you ok Harry?" asked Neville (who had successfully recovered from his potions accident). "Did you hit your head?"

"Yeah," Harry answered. "I must've." The other four laughed and went back to sleep.

As Harry fell asleep that night he wondered how Hermione felt. He must've hurt her pretty bad.

"It's all for the best though," he thought to himself. And with that Harry fell asleep.

Harry had come down early the next morning (in hopes of eating breakfast before Hermione arrived) to find that she had cried herself to sleep in the chair in the common room. Harry, seeing this, tiptoed out of the common room and managed to leave without waking her. Ron, however, had been woken by Harry, and came not downstairs not long after. He found Hermione still asleep, and he woke her.

"Hey," he said shaking her gently. "Wake up."

"Oh, hey Ron," said Hermione blinking in the sunlight.

"Did you hear Harry come down about 5 minutes ago?" he asked her.

"No, I expect he hates me right about now," she responded with a yawn, her eyes still red from crying.

"Why?"

".....because I pretty much told him I loved him." Ron looked at her in surprise (even though he had secretly known this for months).

"You told him?" asked Ron in awe.

"Tried to, but the words didn't come out. He figured it out though, then he sprinted off to your dorm."

"So that's what he was talking about...." said Ron referring to last night.

"Huh?"

"Don't worry about it."

"Fine, well I'm off to get changed."

"Don't let him get to you Hermione, I'm sure he doesn't hate you."

"Thanks Ron," she said. "Listen, do you think you could talk to him for me, you know, find out whether he hates me or not?"

"Sure, I bet he's in the great hall, I'll go talk to him right now."

"Thanks," she said with a smile and hugged him. Then she went off to her dorm to change.

Ron arrived in the great hall a few minutes later to find Harry eating his breakfast. He made a beeline for Harry and sat down across from him after hitting him in the back of the head.

"What'd you do that for?!" choked Harry, trying to cough up his food.

"You know why I did that." said Ron as Harry managed to swallow.

"Hermione?" he asked. Ron nodded silently. Harry sighed. "Listen-" he began

"You know that she loves you right?"

".....yes," Harry responded after much hesitation.

"Then why are you ignoring her? She's been your friend, our friend for so long and now that she's admitted that she loves you, you're acting as if she's a Malfoy."

"Ron, you don't understand."

"Really? What don't I understand?"

"If Hermione and I were to be in a relationship, then how do you think that would leave her if Voldemort killed me in two weeks? " Ron ran his fingers through his already messy hair.

"You're a real smart one Harry," said Ron sarcastically. "I forgot, I have no idea what it would be like, considering the fact that both me and the girl I love could just as easily die in that very same battle!" Ron spat out the last few words in a loud whisper.

"Love?" asked Harry taken aback.

"Well.....uh..."

"You and Luna love each other?"

"Fine, we do. And believe you me we had a discussion about this battle. I didn't want her to fight, but she insisted and there was nothing I could do about it. We both understand that death is a cost of war, and I'm sure you and Hermione understand that too. Why you're letting that fact keep you from someone I know you care for is beyond me," Ron finished.

"It's not that simple-" began Harry, but Ron cut him off.

"Yes, Harry, it is that simple. She loves you, and you care for her, there is no reason to let this battle interfere. Luna and I love each other, and we sure as hell aren't letting it bother us. Anyways I'm going off to be with my girlfriend. I just hope you make the right decision, and don't let your friendship be ruined as well as any chance you might ever have with Hermione." And with that Ron walked over to the Ravenclaw table to sit with Luna.

As Harry finished his breakfast, he couldn't help thinking about what Ron had said.

"Maybe Ron was right, maybe I am being foolish," Harry thought to himself. "It's just not that simple......" Harry decided not to rack his brain, and to think about it later.

=====

Easter Holiday came around, and Harry and Hermione had not spoken a word to each other since the night in which Hermione had half expressed her love towards Harry. The students training in Dumbledore's Army (Ron thought this would be an excellent name, as it was the truth, and Dumbledore and the students agreed) had progressed extremely far since their first lesson. A few had even managed to crack the statue as Ron had done, and this impressed the headmaster mightily.

At the end of the class on the Thursday before Easter Vacation ended, Dumbledore made an announcement.

"Starting next week we will review all the spells that you should use in the battle. One week from today there will be a mandatory meeting in which myself and all the staff will be present to discuss the battle plans. Those not in attendance at that meeting will not be allowed to fight. You may all go now."

Harry left the Room of Requirement and headed towards the kitchen. He hadn't had any dinner and was hungry. When he entered the kitchens he was nearly tackled to the ground by Dobby.

"HARRY POTTER SIR!!!!!!" shrieked the house-elf with excitement.

"Er, hi Dobby, umf, can you get off me?"

"Sorry sir," said Dobby humbly. He was wearing his trademark outfit, a tea-cozy for a hat, a messy tie on his bare chest, a pair of children's shorts, and a pair of mismatched socks.

"Not at all. I was just wondering If I could have something to eat, I missed dinner." Immediately five or six house-elves pushed a table and chair in front of Harry. He sat down, and was brought a giant bowl of steak and kidney pudding, a goblet of pumpkin juice, and some sides of bacon that the house-elves had prepared for the next morning's breakfast.

"Wow..." said Harry in gratitude. "Thanks."

"'Tis an honor to serve you sir!" squeaked the other house-elves.

"Dobby hopes that Harry Potter does not mind if Dobby sits with him while he dines," said Dobby in a bashful tone.

"Not at all," said a smiling Harry. Dobby sat down on the floor next to Harry.

When Harry was done eating, the elves brought a thick slice of chocolate pie to him for dessert. Harry grinned.

"You know you don't have to go through all of this trouble for me," he said.

"We know sir, but we wants you to be at full strength for when you triumph over he-who-must-not-be-named."

"The battle's still a week away," said Harry laughing. "You're confident in me, huh?" Dobby's face turned slightly red.

"Yes sir."

"Thanks," Harry responded. Dobby spoke up.

"Dobby wonders if he could ask Harry Potter a question."

"Sure go ahead."

"Dobby would like to ask Harry Potter if he didn't mind Dobby and the other house-elves fighting alongside with him at Hogsmeade." Harry was taken aback by this request.

"You....want to fight too?"

"Of course Harry Potter. We do not wish to see the return of he-who-must-not-be-named, and would gladly offer our services to you in battle. I have already received permission from Dumbledore, so all we need now is your permission sir."

"...Of course you may fight with me," said Harry smiling. The house-elves let out a cheer and rushed over to hug Harry around the knees.

"Oh thank you sir. We will not fail you," said Dobby with a tear forming in his eye.

"Don't mention it. Anyways I should be going it's-" Harry looked at his watch. "Blimey its already midnight! I have to go Dobby. Thanks for dinner!" The house-elves parted for Harry to go, and bowed as he left.

Harry didn't expect to find anyone in the common room when he returned but to his surprise he found Hermione over by the fire reading a book. She turned to see who had entered.

"Oh...Harry, uh, hi," she said with a sad smile on her face.

"Hello." Harry just stood there.

"Well it's getting late, maybe I should go to sleep," Hermione said. She got up and walked to the stairs leading to the dorms, but Harry spoke before she got there.

"Hermione, wait." She turned around and looked at him.

"Yes?"

"Listen, can we talk about what happened last week?" Harry could tell that Hermione didn't really want to talk about it, but she came back and sat down in front of the fire nonetheless. Harry went over and sat down in the chair next to her.

"I'm sorry," Harry said. "I shouldn't have left you crying like that."

"It's ok," she said.

"You have to understand, we can't be involved in a relationship right now, not with this huge battle coming." Hermione looked at him, stunned.

"A-a relationship? You feel that way about me?" This question caught Harry by surprise. He regained his composure and took her hand.

"Of course I do, it's just that.....that..." he trailed off.

"Yes?" asked Hermione with a tear forming in one eye.

"If we were to start a relationship, and then I were to die in the fight against Voldemort, imagine what that would do to you."

"If you lose against Voldemort, we're pretty much all doomed anyway, so it doesn't really matter," retorted Hermione.

"Fine, so what if you die? Then I'm left in an awful spot. Either I beat Voldemort and never get to see you again, or I lose and die, dooming the entire world. I-......we can't be involved right now," finished Harry as a tear rolled down Hermione's cheek.

"I understand."

"I'm sorry," he said. Hermione shook her head, and ran off up the steps to the dorms crying. Harry sat there a moment stunned, then went to bed.

---------------

REVIEW YOU SNEEDS!!!!