Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Times Are Changing by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Times Are Changing

TheGreatFox2000

A/N: I realized that this chapter was pushing PG limits, so I've upgraded the rating to PG-13. The next chapter was going to force that change anyway, so I figured, "why not sooner?"

DISCLAIMER: Um.....yeah I know I'm supposed to put something here.......::shrug:: whatever :)

---------------

Chapter 5: Struggles from Within

The next day Harry and Hermione didn't see each other until their class after dinner in the Room of Requirement. The class wasn't anything out of the ordinary, just more practicing Avada Kedavra. Harry was getting nervous though. The big battle was a week from tomorrow, and although they had the element of surprise and were going to outnumber Voldemort's forces, he still had a very bad feeling about it.

The weekend passed without incident, aside from the fact that Ron had grown very suspicious as to why Harry and Hermione had stopped talking. At breakfast in the great hall on Sunday, Hermione was in the library studying, so Ron decided to bring the subject up.

"So 'Arry," he began, chewing on some bacon. "'Ow come you an' 'Ermione aren't talkin'?" specks of bacon fat flew onto his plate as he said this. "You better not have broken her heart," he added finally swallowing his food. Harry looked down into his plate.

"I think I did," he said with sorrow in his voice. Ron groaned through a mouthful of eggs and shook his head. He managed to swallow his food before talking this time.

"You're an absolute idiot. You know that right?" Harry looked up at his friend. He was taken aback, but he knew that Ron was telling the truth nonetheless.

"Yeah I know."

"How could you do that to her? I mean she's stood by you through all the problems we've ever had. Even when she was lying in the hospital wing petrified she still helped us. And all you did in return was break her heart. You could've at least told her you didn't like her, that would've at least been respectful."

"Yeah, but it's not the truth," Harry responded.

"Then you should be with her." Harry just shook his head.

"I don't know..."

"Look mate, it's the least you could do for her. You've made her feel like you died anyway. You're denying her the one thing which she has never experienced before, and if she dies on Saturday, she'll have died never knowing love from another person outside her family."

"How do you know that?" Harry asked.

"She told me everything the night after you sent her crying to her dorm."

"You knew all of this already and you still asked me why I did what I did?"

"I wanted to hear the idiocy straight from your mouth."

"Ron,-" Harry began but Ron cut him off.

"Don't start Harry. Deep down you know I'm right, and I just hope that you make the right decision before it's too late," Ron finished. Harry knew the conversation was over, so he simply resumed eating his breakfast.

The day passed without an event, and Easter Vacation drew to a close with both Harry and Hermione scared, and very much alone. Ron was alright to talk to, but there had always been something between Harry and Hermione which Harry now thought was no longer there.

On the Monday night which everyone returned, Harry entered the Room of Requirement at the usual time to find that Hermione was absent. Half in worry and half in sorrow, he made his way over to Ron and Luna and sat down next to Ron.

"Where's Hermione?" he asked.

"Hospital wing. McGonagal found her crying her eyes out during dinner in the common room and insisted that she go to Madam Pomfrey for some kind of relaxing/cheering-up potion." Harry breathed a sigh of relief that it wasn't more serious. Luna glanced at him from the other side of Ron.

"Harry what did you do to her that made her so sad?"

"I....-" he began but was cut off by Ron.

"He broke her heart."

"Oh." Luna seemed to have understood.

"Oh by the way you guys," Harry said. Luna and Ron looked at him. "Congratulations." They sat there looking at him confused. "You know, about everything." Luna's expression changed as she understood what he meant.

"Thank you," she replied. "Listen, I know that you and Hermione feel the same way about each other too, and-" Harry cut her off.

"Who ever said I loved her?" Luna looked at him with an "oh please," expression.

"It's quite obvious you do, so don't deny it."

"Listen I've had this conversation with Ron twice now and-" Luna cut him off again.

"We'll you're gonna hear it from me too because Hermione's my friend also and you're being a git." Hearing this shocked Harry. He didn't even think Ron could have ever put it so bluntly. He was about to respond, but Dumbledore stood to make an announcement, so Harry never got to say what he was thinking.

"As this is the last week we have before the battle, we will spend this week reviewing spells that you already know, just to make sure that you are all up to snuff before fighting." There was a murmur of assent from the students. They all seemed to think this was a good idea. "We will be reviewing the stunner, the Impediment Jinx, memory charms, and of course, Avada Kedavra. You will find that in battle you really don't need many more spells than that." The class seemed to understand. "Everyone pair up then." Harry looked at Dumbledore. He noticed Harry looking at him and nodded for Harry to be his partner.

As class progressed, Harry felt some of the weight lift off of his chest. While many of them still needed to improve Avada Kedavra, most of the class had the other three spells up to their maximum strength. After observing Neville send a perfect Stunner at one of the statues, Dumbledore sighed and frowned.

"Did I do something wrong, Professor?" he asked.

"No Neville, nothing at all," answered Dumbledore. Harry saw this occur from behind him, but said nothing. At last the class came to a close, and after everyone else had left Harry went over to Dumbledore.

"Professor?"

"Yes, what is it Harry?"

"Why were you sad after Neville made that perfect stunner?" Dumbledore smiled slightly and, to Harry's relief, did not seem mad at him for asking this.

"I am simply worried that I am turning you all into warriors."

"Isn't that what we want?"

"Yes and no, Harry," Dumbledore replied. Harry didn't need to ask more questions. Instead he resolutely stuck out his right hand.

"Thank you for this sir. This entire class, letting them all fight, thank you for everything." Dumbledore smiled and shook Harry's hand. It was the first time that Harry could remember that he had ever shaken hands with the headmaster in his six years here.

"No Harry, I want to thank you for bearing all of the burden which I have put on you over the years," Dumbledore said. Harry nodded and the left the classroom.

As Harry approached the portrait of the Fat Lady, he saw someone walking towards the portrait from the right. It was dark, so at first he couldn't make out who it was, but when he saw the bushy hair bouncing slightly as the figure moved, he had no trouble figuring it out. He didn't want to talk to her. Not yet. He still needed to do more thinking. Thankfully, she didn't see him and entered the common room. Harry now had to weigh his options. He could either hope that Hermione went to bed right away and go in, or he could sit outside the portrait until he thought it was safe and risk getting caught by Filch.

"Please be tired, please be tired...." Harry muttered to himself choosing the former as he said the password and stepped through the portrait hole. Hermione was sitting by the fire and turned to see who came in. "Damnit," he thought to himself. Harry saw Hermione lower her head before returning to her original position.

Harry walked over to the stairs and got three steps up before he realized he couldn't say nothing.

"Listen," he began. Hermione turned to look at him. "I'm trying to work all of this out, but it's not going to be easy, so all I can say right now is that I'm sorry," finished Harry. With that he walked up to his dorm. Hermione sat there with tears rolling down her eyes, but at least this time they were tears of hope, instead of tears of pain.

As the week progressed, the some of the Gryffindors were starting to master Avada Kedavra, and it had pleased Harry immensely that Ron was the first to cause the statue to shatter into a thousand little pieces.

"I really don't see why you're making such a big deal out of it Harry," he said in the dorm that night.

"Because I'm glad that it was my best friend who did it first."

"Yeah well....hey speaking of friends, what about Hermione?" Harry was hoping he could avoid the topic, but knew it couldn't be done forever.

"What about her?"

"Well I've been thinking, maybe you, me, and Luna could sit down and talk about this. I mean, you don't really seem to have believed what I told you a week and a half ago, so I want to see if you'll listen to her."

"You really think it'll make a difference?" asked Harry.

"I sure as hell hope it does..." Ron muttered. Harry snorted in response to this.

"Fine, tomorrow in the library during lunch." Harry could tell by Ron's silence that he didn't want to miss a meal. "Either tomorrow during lunch, or not at all."

"Fine. I swear to god you better thank me when you and Hermione are married and have kids."

"Like that's ever gonna happen."

"Fine, so it won't happen. We'll talk about this tomorrow." And with that, Ron shut off the light and they went to sleep.

=====

When Harry arrived in the library the next day, he saw Luna there, but no Ron.

"Ugh, where is he?" she asked with impatience as Harry sat down. Harry noted how much Luna had changed from the weird out-of-it person she used to be into the much more feminine person she had become.

"Probably trying to grab some food from the great hall." And as if to affirm Harry's accusation, Ron came into the library chewing a mouthful of what looked to be bread. He sat down next to Luna and swallowed. They were both looking at him scornfully.

"What?" he asked as he sat down and Luna sat on his lap.

"Never mind," said Harry. "Now what exactly did you drag me here to tell me?"

"Actually it was my idea," said Luna. "And since you didn't really pay attention to either of us in our class the other day, I felt you needed some intervention."

"Thanks," said Harry sarcastically.

"You can thank me later," she said. "Now what's going on?"

"You know what's going on."

"Yeah, but you need to say it so I can rub it in your face later on when I'm right," smiled Ron.

"Fine, I broke Hermione's heart by telling her that I had feelings for her, but that we couldn't have a relationship."

"So why can't you have a relationship?" asked Luna. Harry looked at her maliciously.

"Because of the battle coming up in four days."

"I see," she said. "Well I've got news for you, Ron and I are absolutely petrified at the thought of either of us dying, but we love each other so we're going to get through it. How can you be so thick as to think it's different for you?"

"Gee, I don't know. Because I've been forced to be different all my life?! NOT TO MENTION THAT EVERYONE I CARE FOR MANAGES TO GET KILLED!!!"

"MISTER POTTER!" Madam Pince yelled. "If you cannot keep your voice down in this library, then you will have to get out!"

"Sorry," he said and turned back to Ron and Luna as the librarian walked off in disgust.

"So that's why you can't admit that you love her," said Ron. A tear formed in Harry's eye.

"I don't want her to die like Sirius. I've lost too much already, I can't lose her too."

"Well is it any better if she dies and you didn't bother to patch things up with her?" Luna asked. Harry buried his face in his hands as silent tears rolled from his eyes.

"I love her....I just can't lose her. Why do you think I failed her during the trials? If it hadn't been for Snape........" Harry looked up but to Ron and Luna's surprise there was anger burning in his eyes.. "Oh I swear to god, if anything happens to Hermione, I will kill him."

"Wait, you failed Hermione but not me?" asked Ron taken aback. Harry looked at him. "What, you don't care about me?" This summoned a chuckle from Harry through his watery eyes.

"Ron with all due respect, you are my absolute best friend, but I don't love you like that," he said with a slight smile on his face.

"Oh, heh heh. Right."

"Besides, there was no way I could fail you after Snape passed you. What would that make me?" Luna chuckled at this, and kissed Ron on the cheek.

"You have to be with her Harry. If only for a short time, so if something happens she can at least remember that her last few days were happy ones. If you can remember when you're dead, I wouldn't know...." Ron trailed off.

"Ron maybe it isn't the best idea to talk about Hermione dying," said Luna, noticing the look on Harry's face.

"Oh, yeah, right. Sorry."

"Harry, you love Hermione. Don't torture yourself or her any longer," Luna said comfortingly. Harry let out a sniffle and nodded.

"You're going to listen us?" Ron said in astonishment. "You are bloody brilliant," he said turning to Luna and kissing her. Harry chuckled and saw Luna's hand slip off below the table. For a moment it didn't phase him. Then his jaw dropped as the gravity of the relationship Ron and Luna were in hit him.

"What?" asked Ron seeing Harry's face.

"No....." Harry was at a loss for words. His eyes shifted from Ron to Luna and back to Ron.

"Er......." said Ron looking at Luna.

"I think he figured it out," she said putting her head on his shoulder. Ron's face turned a solid cherry-red.

"You guys did...............," Harry was trying think of an appropriate word. "It?" So much for that plan. Ron blushed even harder and Luna smiled. "Well?" Ron looked at Luna and she nodded at him.

"Yeah," he said. Harry could tell that Ron was nervous about what reaction he was going to get. To his relief, Harry smiled.

"I'm happy for you two," Harry said. Ron let out a huge sigh of relief and the color drained from his cheeks a little bit. "So.....what's it like?"

"Well it's kinda like-" Ron began but Luna put her hand over his mouth.

"See, that part you can tell him when I'm not around," she said with a smile.

"Fine, I'll tell you later tonight then," Ron said to Harry defiantly. Luna rolled her eyes and muttered something that sounded a lot like "Men".

"What was that dearest?" Ron asked playfully. She hit in the arm and told him to shut up. She lifted her head off his shoulder.

"I need to get going," she said. "I want to be early for class." She stood up to gather her things. "Do it soon before you miss the chance Harry." Harry smiled.

"I'll do it tomorrow," he said.

"Good. I'll see you boys later then," Luna said. And with that she got off Ron's lap, kissed him passionately, and left. The moment she was gone from their sight a huge grin broke out on Ron's face. He rocked back on his chair and put his hands behind his head. Harry sat there shaking his head in amusement.

"I can't believe it," he said chuckling.

"What? You know how I'm such a stallion," Ron said smiling.

"I can't recall any stallions whose heads look like a tomato when they blush," Harry retorted, and Ron started to blush again.

"You're just jealous."

"Not really, but I am curious as to where it happened." Ron grinned.

"Nope."

"What? Why not?"

"First say I'm a stallion."

"Ron, first of all, I'm a guy, and I don't really think it's very fitting to call you a stallion since I'm not attracted to you, second if you don't want to tell me I really don't care, I'm just interested."

"Fine," said Ron sighing putting the chair down. "The Room of Requirement during lunch over Easter Break." Harry grinned.

"So that's where you were..... I can't wait until Hermione finds out about this."

"She already knows."

"What?!" Harry spluttered coughing on his own spit.

"I asked her for advice on how to go about asking Luna." Harry laughed at this.

"Go figure. You should have told me sooner."

"Well I'm not one to kiss and tell."

"Apparently." Harry looked at his watch. "We should get going." Ron smirked at him, but they left to go to class anyway.

Harry could tell that Hermione was more antsy than usual in charms that day. He knew Ron or Luna hadn't told her about their conversation in the library, so halfway through the class he summoned up enough energy to go over and ask her if she was ok.

"Are you ok Hermione? You're acting really shaken up."

"Hmmm?" she asked dreamily. Then noticing that it was Harry speaking to her, she came back to reality. "Oh, yeah I'm fine," she said.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," she said smiling. "At least now I am." Harry smiled slightly.

"Good. Just making sure." And with that he went back to his seat.

Tomorrow came quicker than Harry had wanted it to. Although he had told Ron and Luna that he was going to fix the issue with Hermione that night, he still had his doubts. Ron sensed this halfway through the class that evening after dinner and went over to him.

"You're not having second thoughts are you?" he whispered looking over at Hermione helping Neville with Avada Kedavra.

"I'm just still worried," Harry answered, now shifting his attention to Hermione as well.

"Listen," said Ron. "There's nothing to be worried about. If you're really worried about consequences or something, go talk to Dumbledore, I bet he'll set you straight."

"You know that's the first real good idea you've had in a while," he said smiling. Ron hit him in the arm and went back to obliviating his statue.

Harry turned and looked at his own statue, which he still had failed to break with the killing curse. By thinking about the death of his parents and godfather, he had managed to cause the statue to slightly crack, but nothing along the lines of "blowing up". He raised his wand, preparing to try again.

"Avada-" he started, but as Harry said the words a thought of Hermione being tortured and killed flashed across his mind. A new emotion entered his body which he had never felt before as he thought this. It was more than hatred, it was more than grievance. It was a sudden urge to cause pain, a pain he could enjoy seeing people suffer from. "-Kedavra!" he bellowed.

The recoil from his own spell knocked him down. The shockwave of the statue exploding upon the impact of his curse caused everyone to duck and take cover. When at last the dust settled, everyone was staring at him. Thankfully, no one had been injured. Ron was the first to speak.

"Bloody hell Harry......." he said wide-eyed. Dumbledore walked over to Harry.

"That," he said. "Is what Avada Kedavra looks like when its is at its most powerful. Since no one has been harmed, perhaps we can continue?" The class got up slowly and resumed their practicing. Harry thought it would probably be best to stick to stunners for the time being.

When class ended, Dumbledore reminded all of them that the meeting to straighten out the war plans was tomorrow, and that they all had to show up. When Dumbledore dismissed the class, Harry went over to him.

"Professor, do you think I could have a word with you in your office?" asked Harry.

"Of course Harry, let's go."

As Dumbledore and Harry left the half-full room, Harry saw Hermione looking at him with a worried expression on her face. He turned away from her and followed Dumbledore out of the room. They reached the gargoyle and Dumbledore spoke the password.

"Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans," said Dumbledore. Harry looked at him.

"Don't you hate those?" said Harry with a smile. Dumbledore chuckled.

"Who says I have to like the password?" They both enjoyed a laugh and climbed the stairs to the landing. Dumbledore opened the door and they entered. The headmaster went over to his desk and sat down.

"That was quite a display during class tonight Harry," said Dumbledore referring to Harry's spell which had the effect of a small nuclear bomb. "Might I ask you what crossed your mind right before you cast that?"

"Um......." said Harry hesitantly. "Hermione."

"Ah....." said Dumbledore. "I also assume she is the reason why you are here?"

"Yes."

"I thought so. Please tell me what you need to."

"Well Ron and Luna helped me realize that I love her, and I'm positive that she has feelings for me, it's just that I don't want to get involved especially since, you know, in Hogsmeade...."

"That you or she could be killed?" Dumbledore asked. Harry nodded. "Let me tell you a story Harry. Right before your father proposed to Lily-" Harry looked up at the mention of his parents. "He came to me asking me for advice. You see Harry, he felt the same way you do. Afraid to commit to anything because there was a chance that he could be killed while in the Order and leave Lily alone and heartbroken."

"So what did you tell him?" Harry asked.

"The same thing I'll tell you. If you and Hermione start a relationship, then yes, either of your deaths in the impending battle would absolutely devastate the other. But how is that different from any other day? You or she could die by chance at any time. Now consider the alternative. If you embrace your feelings towards her, you will understand that you belong together. What if you both live, and get to live in happiness together? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?" Harry looked at Dumbledore with an expression of gratitude.

"Harry there's a reason that even the thought of your parents death couldn't produce the power that you produced tonight. Do you know what that reason is?" asked Dumbledore.

"No sir."

"It is because that although you love them very much, Hermione occupies a special place in your heart, which not even your parents could enter. You could never feel the same way about your mother and father that you do for her, because no one in this world wants to spend the rest of their lives with their parents. I think that I am correct in assuming that you subconsciously feel that way about Hermione, which is why your feelings for her are so much stronger," Dumbledore finished. Harry looked up at him with understanding in his eyes.

"Thank you," he said. Dumbledore smiled.

"Go," he said motioning with his head towards the door. Harry nodded, turned around, and ran out of the office, praying that Hermione would still be awake.

Harry sprinted back to the common room as fast as his legs could carry him. When he arrived there he found she was sitting by the fire alone, and that she had been crying again. She didn't hear him come in, and he walked over to her so he was standing behind the chair she was sitting in.

"Hermione?" she started at hearing his voice, and turned to look at him. Her eyes were red from the tears. Harry moved around to the front of the chair. She opened her mouth to speak, but Harry put a finger to her lips.

"Shh," he whispered. Harry then bent down and pressed him lips to hers. This lasted for about twenty seconds then Harry pulled away.

"Harry what about everything you said?" she asked with a tears welling her eyes again.

"I don't care," he said. "It doesn't matter anymore. All that matters is you. I'm so sorry I was such an idiot, I-" Harry didn't get to finish this sentence, because Hermione stood up and pulled him into an emotional kiss. When she pulled away Harry sat down in the chair behind him and she sat on his lap. She laid her head on Harry's chest, listening to his heart, and Harry put his arms around her.

"I love you Harry," she said looking up at him. He looked down into her eyes.

"I love you too," he said.

"You....you do?" she asked, her voice quivering.

"Don't let anyone ever tell you different," he said smiling. A single tear rolled down Hermione's cheek. Harry brushed it away and then kissed her again.

Harry and Hermione continued to kiss in this position for what seemed like forever, when Harry finally pulled away for air. Hermione looked up at him and smiled.

"Sorry," he said. "I thought I was about to pass out." She looked at him with a smile.

"Breathe through your nose," she said smiling, letting out a chuckle. Before he had a chance to answer, their lips were locked again. Finally Hermione pulled away and looked right into Harry's eyes.

"I don't ever want this moment to end..." she said. Harry looked at her.

"Neither do I," he said with a smile. Hermione put her head on Harry's shoulder and closed her eyes. She fell asleep almost instantly.

As Harry sat there with Hermione in his arms, he remembered the feeling of happiness. He felt, at that moment, the same way that he felt on his 11th birthday. He felt the same way when Sirius had offered to give him a home back in his third year. Harry looked at Hermione and realized just how much he loved her. He hadn't consciously noticed it up until now, but as he was looking at her, asleep on his lap, he realized that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He couldn't believe he had been so stupid as to ignore his feelings for her. This was Harry's last thought has he fell asleep with his head resting on Hermione's.

Ron woke at 3 in the morning needing to use the bathroom.

"Damn privies, why do they have to be downstairs," he muttered to himself.

The bathrooms were off the balcony which separated the two dorms. As he got to the balcony he noticed Hermione asleep in Harry's arms. Harry was also sleeping. Ron smiled and went to the bathroom. When he returned he looked at Harry and Hermione again, and saw that Hermione was smiling in her sleep. Ron smiled, shook his head, and went off back to bed. His last thought before he fell back asleep was,

"Took 'em long enough."

Ron woke early the next morning. He wanted to admire his work on Harry before he and Hermione woke up. He also wanted to wake them just in case they wanted to make their relationship private.

Ron walked down to the common room and saw that their position had changed sometime during the night. Harry had apparently woken up at some point, because the two of them were now laying on the couch, with his arm's wrapped around her torso. Ron admired this picture for about a minute, then went over and woke Harry.

"Hey mate," Ron whispered with a grin. Harry opened an eye. "Get up."

"Ron, hey wha.....what's up?" Harry asked with a yawn. "Wait, this isn't our dorm. ..............Oh right." Harry chuckled to himself as he gently shook Hermione.

"Hmmmm?" she asked with her eyes closed. "What do you want Lavender?" Ron and Harry grinned at each other.

"It's me," said Harry. She turned to face him and opened her eyes.

"Oh......," she said with a smile. "Wake me up in a few years, I'm too tired." She rolled over and buried her face into the couch with her head resting between Harry's arm and chest.

"I didn't think it'd be wise to have McGonagal catch you like this, so I suggest you get up," said Ron. Hermione growled into the space between Harry and the couch.

"Fine....," she said yawning and sitting up. "How did we end up on the couch?" she asked Harry.

"I woke up when Ron came back from the bathroom last night so I decided to move us to a move comfortable piece of furniture." Ron grinned a little.

"Sorry."

"No worries," said Harry standing up and stretching. Hermione stood up as well.

"I'm gonna go put on new clothes," she said. She leaned over to whisper to Harry. "Do you still love me?" Harry responded by kissing her, which made her blush. As Harry leaned away her smile turned into a slight giggle, and she ran off to her dorm to change. Ron walked over to Harry and put his hand on Harry's shoulder.

"I did miss seeing her smile," commented Harry.

"You can say it now," Ron said.

"Say what?" Ron just looked at Harry motioning with his hand to get on with it. Harry understood and let out a sigh.

"You were right and I was wrong......."

"And?"

"Sorry for being an idiot."

"And?"

"Thanks."

"There we go," said Ron now satisfied. Now go get changed before she comes back down here and wants nothing to do with you. Harry grinned and sprinted off to the dorm. Ron just stood there smiling.

"Oh god, what have I done," he chuckled to himself.

=====

News of Harry and Hermione's new relationship had leaked out somehow, and therefore spread through the school like a wildfire. Neither of them really cared as it meant that they could hold hands in public. Dumbledore had even given Harry a complement on doing the right thing at their last meeting.

It was Thursday evening and the night of the big war meeting. The students had all skipped dinner and gone directly to the Room of Requirement. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Luna were all on their way and the respective couples were holding hands as nerves were starting to take over. They reached the door to the room and heard voices of students from inside.

"Well, you all ready?" asked Harry. Ron and Luna nodded, while Hermione squeezed his hand tighter. "Ok." Harry opened the door and they all went in.

The first and largest difference that Harry noticed is that they were in a huge lecture hall instead of the usual 30x100 foot shooting range. Dumbledore obviously had needed to display something, as there was a giant screen pulled down in the front of the room. The four of them found empty seats and sat down, Hermione immediately putting her head on Harry's shoulder. None of them spoke a word and a few minutes later, Dumbledore went to the front of the room.

"Thank you all for coming," he began. "I know these last few weeks have been very tiring, but it is very important that you all listen to what is said tonight. I will not waste anymore time. Professor Snape will....'brief' you." With that the lights dimmed and he projected a large birds-eye view of Hogsmeade onto the screen. Snape walked up to the front of the room

"This, as you all know, is Hogsmeade," he began. "We know that Voldemort-" Harry was stunned at hearing this. He had always heard Snape refer to Voldemort as 'the Dark Lord'. "-will not waste any time trying a sneak attack. He and his army of death eaters will apparate directly onto the main street. Unfortunately we have no idea where on the main street he will apparate to, and therefore we have no way to set up lines. Our only chance is to surround the street completely, and close in from the ends when they appear. Once they appear, Professor Dumbledore will create an anti-apparition field around the area so they cannot escape." There was a murmur as he said this. "You all of course remember that the object is to give Potter enough time to kill the Dark Lord." The room fell silent. Dumbledore stepped up again.

"Once the field is set up, we will stun or kill as many of the death eaters as possible, hoping to give Harry a chance to fire a spell at Voldemort. That basically is the plan. You must remember however, that no one is to retreat unless given the order to by myself or any of the staff. Saturday morning I will make an announcement to the school that the Hogsmeade trip has been cancelled. At precisely 1 in the afternoon, we will all meet in the great hall. Professor Flitwick will make sure that there is no one there beforehand. From there I will create a magical replica of each of you, so that we may populate the streets of Hogsmeade in case Voldemort has anyone watching. He most likely will not attack until he has a report from his spy that Harry is there, so we will have time to get into position through the secret passages until the magical Harry appears. Remember, the entire balance of the war is hanging on this battle. We cannot lose." Dumbledore said this last bit with absolute seriousness in his voice. "Now, you must all be tired, and you need your rest. There will be no class tomorrow, because you will need your rest to be on full alert." With that, the lights returned and the students began to filter out.

Harry and the others decided to leave, and they made their way back to the Gryffindor common room, Luna went to Ravenclaw.

The night passed, and as the final day of peace rolled around, Harry could tell that it was unusually quiet.

"Always a deep breath before the plunge," Hermione said to him.

"I just keep getting this feeling that something bad is going to happen."

"Me too," she said looking into his eyes with all honesty.

=====

Dinner came and as it ended, Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Luna were all sitting in silence at the Gryffindor table.

"We should get to bed," Harry said. "We need our strength." The other three agreed and they made their way towards the Gryffindor common room. When they got there Luna looked at Ron.

"I can't come in with you."

"Um......." said Ron looking around for answers. He found one as McGonagal came around the corner. "Professor?" he asked walking over to her.

"Yes, Mr. Weasley?"

"Listen, I know it's against the rules and all, but could you perhaps allow Luna to come into the Gryffindor common room with us, we really don't want to be alone right now." Professor McGonagal sighed.

"I suppose that she would be staying for the night?" Ron blushed. McGonagal's face softened and she looked sad.

"If possible," he said.

"Very well Mr. Weasley. I can't find it in my heart to deprive you all of...." her voice trailed off.

"Yes?" Ron asked. McGonagal shook her head and smiled.

"Sleep in the common room then," she said and was off. Harry didn't need her to finish the other sentence to know what she was talking about. He too, knew that this could very well be the last time they were all going to be together like this.

"Let's go in then," Ron said. When Luna entered the common room her eyes widened in amazement.

"Wow," she whispered to Ron. "It's so much nicer than Ravenclaw." Ron chuckled.

"It's not much, but it's home." Harry and Ron sat down with their backs on the edges of the chairs in front of the fireplace, Hermione and Luna sat down in between their legs on the floor. Harry wrapped his arms around Hermione, as did Ron with Luna.

A few students passed in and out of the common room while they were like that, but said nothing. Finally everyone had gone to bed, and Luna checked her watch.

"It's 11," she said, nestling into Ron's shoulder.

"We should sleep," Hermione said. "We need our energy." Ron and Harry nodded, and the girls closed their eyes as they lay against them.

Ron and Luna fell asleep quickly, but Harry was still awake, as was the girl in his arms.

"Hermione?" he whispered.

"Yes?" she asked without opening her eyes.

"I want you to know, that no matter what happens out there tomorrow, even if I die, I will never stop loving you," he said. She turned her head and looked at him, tears starting to form in her eyes. He kissed her for as long as he could until Hermione pulled away, tears rolling down her face.

"I love you...." she cried. "So much......."

This was how the four of them fell asleep that night, the last conscious thoughts in all of their minds being whether or not they would all be able to be at peace like this again.

---------------

Read and Review......

NEXT UP: THE BATTLE!!!!

Oh and by the way, I know I stole the line in Dumbledore's office from the Matrix, and the line a little later from Lord of the Rings, but since it's part of the English language and not copyrighted, TOO BAD! :)