Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Times Are Changing by TheGreatFox2000
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Times Are Changing

TheGreatFox2000

I told you all this would be of epic proportions. This chapter occupies 26 pages on my comp, and is roughly 10k words, so don't make any plans. :)

Well, this is it folks. It's been a fun month and I hope you enjoyed reading my story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Rest assured, there will be a sequel, so continue looking back for updates.

And now, we pick up where we left off.

---------------

Chapter 7: Remembering the Past

The reason for this was, in fact, because the ghost of Ron Weasley was hovering a few inches off the ground in front of Dumbledore's desk, with his back turned to them.

"Ron!" cried a positively overjoyed Hermione. Ron turned around.

"Hey guys..." he said. He sounded depressed.

"Ron," Harry said almost in a whisper. "How? When?"

"Well Luna had wanted us to become ghosts when we died, so we decided to...er...take the steps required," said Ron in a very sullen face.

"Well where is she?" asked an elated Hermione. At this point Dumbledore raised his hand for them to stop talking and spoke.

"That, is why Mr. Weasley here is not very happy right now." The three of them looked at him. "Ron given that you took the steps to become a ghost, you know why Luna is not here, am I correct?" Ron nodded, and a tear dropped from his eye and vanished into thin air. Harry had never seen a ghost cry before.

"It's because ghosts are the souls of those who have died," he said with his head bowed.

"Correct. When the killing curse hit Luna, her soul was shattered, and therefore she could not become a ghost," Dumbledore said. "I am truly sorry Ron." Ron just nodded.

"Well do you have to be a ghost? I mean can't you just disappear if you want to?" asked Hermione.

"Well yeah," said Ron. Harry looked confused. "It's simple mate. When a ghost decides that they don't want to be on Earth anymore, they can choose to disappear. It makes sense, since if we couldn't do that, we'd be stuck here for all eternity. I tried to disappear when I learned that Luna wasn't going to be joining me, but for some reason I can't," Ron finished. Dumbledore spoke up again.

"It is because you have the burden of Luna's death on you Ron. Do not worry, you will be able to rejoin her again, but I feel that Voldemort will have to die before that is accomplished." As Dumbledore finished this, everyone looked at Harry, who noticing this, hung his head.

"I-I tried," he said. "Three times, in fact. But the first time he blocked it with one of his own death eaters, the second time Bellatrix dove in front of it to save him, and you all saw the third time," Harry said.

"Yes, Harry, I know," said Dumbledore.

"Professor, how could Voldemort create a shield powerful enough to withstand multiple Avada Kedavras AND Finite Incantatem?" asked Hermione.

"I do not have the answer to that question," said Dumbledore grimly. "Tom is smart and powerful enough to devise a way to block the curse, but it has been said to be mathematically impossible. I myself, confess that I could not believe he found a way to shield himself that completely."

"So basically, you're saying that it's impossible to kill Voldemort, since he can cast a shield which no spell can get through?" asked Harry.

"I never said that Harry, it will just take some work," said Dumbledore. The four of them were silent until Harry spoke again.

"Professor, Dobby told me that the house elves were going to fight as well, but I didn't see any of them. What happened?" he asked. Dumbledore thought for a moment before answering.

"I believe that might have been my fault," he said. "You see house-elves can apparate inside the Hogwarts grounds because the founders made the anti-apparition wards that way. I had not even remembered until you spoke of it just now, but the field I created had no exceptions in it. They probably tried to apparate to the battlefield, but couldn't." Harry, Ron, and Hermione were silent.

"Even the best of us make mistakes," said Dumbledore with a weak smile.

At that point, all seven members of the Weasley family (excluding Percy) barged into Dumbledore's office.

"Is it true?" asked Mrs. Weasley, her face red from tears. Dumbledore moved from their line of sight to reveal Ron. "Oh Ron!" she cried running over to him and trying to hug him, but only coming up with thin air. Fred and George were grinning madly, and Mr. Weasley, Charlie, Bill, and Ginny were all standing there with their mouths open.

"Hey Mom, Dad, everyone," said Ron, still with a depressed tone.

"What's wrong dear?" asked Mrs. Weasley.

"Perhaps, Molly, it would be better if Ron did not have to relate his reasons for his sadness twice in the course of ten minutes. I will be glad to tell you all exactly what happened, after Harry, Hermione, and Ron have left," said Dumbledore reassuringly. "You three must be tired, why don't you head on back to the common room?" he said looking at Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They nodded and walked (or hovered) back out of Dumbledore's office.

The three of them walked in silence until Harry broke the tension.

"I'm sorry Ron."

"Don't be, it's not your fault Harry," said Ron.

"It is though. If I hadn't wasted so much time with the death eaters, I could've at least made him retreat before this happened. Now you don't have Luna...."

"Well Dumbledore said that I can disappear once Voldemort is killed, so you can make it up to me by getting rid of him," said Ron.

"Ron's right Harry, it's not your fault, we just have to get rid of Voldemort now," said Hermione.

"Like we didn't have that problem before?" asked Harry in a very sarcastic tone.

"Hey you don't need to talk like that to me, I'm just trying to help," said Hermione slightly taken aback.

"I'm sorry," Harry said. It's just that all of this....it's just.....pissing me off!"

"I know," Hermione said consolingly. "But we're going to win. We have to." They reached the portrait hole and said the password. Ron drifted through first, and was followed by Harry and Hermione.

"Well I'm going to go to bed, you two can feel free to stay here, I actually want some quiet to think.

"Ghosts get tired?" asked Harry.

"Of course," said Ron yawning.

"Ok then, sleep well," Harry said. Ron turned around and started heading for the stairs when Harry spoke.

"I promise you Ron, I'll get him." Ron turned.

"I know you will Harry. I miss her already......" Ron's voice trailed off as he floated upstairs. Harry and Hermione went and laid down on the couch.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you back in the hall," Harry said.

"It's ok, we're all going through a hard time and-" her voice was cut off by a scream from Harry's dorm. Surprisingly, Harry chuckled after he realized the situation. Hermione looked at him.

"I don't think Dean, Seamus, or Neville know that Ron's a ghost yet," he said with a smile. By the looks of it, they had worked it out, because there was no more commotion.

"Well..." Hermione began. "At least some good came of today."

"Yeah and what's that?"

"You avenged Sirius." After Hermione said that, Harry realized that what she was saying was true. He had killed the murderer of his godfather. He had avenged Sirius. A tear rolled down his face on landed on Hermione's robes.

"Sorry about that," he said wiping his eyes and her robes.

"It's ok," she said. Hermione just lay there in Harry's arms, until a few minutes later, Dean, Seamus, and Neville walked down the stairs from the dorm.

"What are you guys doing up?" asked Harry.

"Well we all agreed that Ron looked like he could use some time alone, so we're gonna play some chess for about an hour, then go back upstairs," said Dean.

"Ok," sighed Hermione. Harry could tell that she hoped they could be alone.

An hour passed, and Dean, Seamus, and Neville returned to their dorm after bidding Harry and Hermione goodnight.

"Harry?" asked Hermione looking up at him.

"Mmm?"

"Thank you," she said as she nestled her head into Harry's shoulder.

"For what?" he asked.

"For being here, for loving me. For saving my life," she said. Again, a single tear fell down Harry's cheek, but Hermione brushed it away before it fell onto her robes.

"When I saw that flash of green light, I didn't think I'd be able to get you out of the way in time..." he said with another tear running down his cheek. Hermione wiped it off again.

"Don't think about it anymore, we're both here now, that's what matters..." she said closing her eyes.

"The part that pains me the most," Harry said. "Is that it isn't over. We're going to have to face him again someday."

"Don't worry," she whispered. "You'll get him, because you have something he never has and never will have."

"What's that?"

"My heart," she whispered, and the two of them drifted into sleep.

The next morning Harry and Hermione woke to find Ron sitting in a chair on the other side of the room talking to, much to Harry and Hermione's surprise, Fred and George.

"Mate you've got to do it for us," whispered George.

"Why?" asked Ron. "I don't see how or why Peeves would listen to me anyway."

"Tell him it's a formal request from us, he'll listen. We could always get him to create mischief on our behalf," said Fred.

"What are you three talking about?" asked Hermione. "Ron may be dead, but I'm still a prefect you know." Fred and George grinned.

"Oh we know, we just thought that Ron could put in a good word for us with Peeves, now that he's on the inside and all."

"Why do you want Peeves doing anything?" asked Harry, now sitting up.

"Well," began George. "We left a little something behind before we left. We were planning on using it on Umbridge, but she caught us and we left before we could use it. We can't get to it, because the passwords have changed since we were here, and so we asked Ronnikens here if he would ask Peeves to get it for us, since Peeves knows where it is."

"You know I did die just yesterday," said Ron. "Maybe you could let me rest for a little while?"

"Ron you can rest all you want when Harry kills you-know-who. This is very important to us, and we would appreciate it greatly if-"

"Alright alright I'll do it, just enough already. Let me talk to my friends."

"We're not your friends?" asked George.

"You're my brothers, and you've hassled me enough for the moment. Go back to the shop. I'll have Harry owl you your item."

"Well thank you Ron, you've come through for us," said Fred. "Come on George, don't want to bother the students any longer." They smiled and departed through the portrait hole.

"Ron, you better not be breaking any rules," said Hermione.

"I'm dead, does it really matter?" asked Ron.

"No, I suppose not," she said in defeat.

"Listen, you two should go have breakfast. I'm gonna stay here, I need some quiet right now."

"Ron are you ok?" asked Harry getting up.

"No, but eventually I will be. I miss her terribly, that's all."

"I'm so sorry Ron, I wish there was something we could do," said Hermione.

"Kill Voldemort so I can be with her again. That's the only thing I want now," he said. Harry nodded.

"Come on, let's go get something to eat," he said putting his arm around Hermione. "Don't worry Ron, he'll burn in hell before the end." Ron gave a small smile at hearing his words from the previous day.

=====

A week after the battle, the school had been informed of what had happened on that fateful day. Dumbledore had made the announcement at breakfast one morning that their new ghost (Ron) would continue to reside at Hogwarts until the year was over.

"So why are ye staying here? Why not go back to the Burrow?" asked Seamus one night.

"I want to be here, I like it here with my friends, and besides, I don't have classes anymore so it's better."

"I should consider becoming a ghost," said Seamus with a chuckle.

"Does losing the one you love sound fun too?" asked Ron. Seamus immediately bowed his head.

"Sorry."

"It's ok, just don't take it for granted. It's tough enough as it is right now," said Ron looking glum again. Seamus nodded and headed back to the dorms. Ron drifted over to Harry and Hermione who were playing a game of chess by the fire.

"Checkmate," Hermione announced as Harry's king dropped his sword in front of her castle.

"The one upside to wizard's chess," Ron said. "Is that you don't have to move the pieces with your own hands. Wanna play Hermione?" Harry looked taken aback.

"Why not me?" he asked.

"She's better competition," Ron said with the first real smile they had seen since he died.

"Be my guest," Harry said walking over to Hermione, who stood up and let Harry sit down under her so she could sit on his lap.

Harry had to admit, Hermione was a much better chess player than he was. Based on Hermione's sheer intellect, it wasn't hard to understand why she was good at the game. It was obvious, however, that she needed to fine-tune her skills, because Ron dispatched her fairly easily, though not as easily as Harry.

"Well at least you put up a fight," said Ron smiling again. "You could actually be really good if you played more."

"Thanks," she said. Just then the portrait hole opened, and at first, it looked like no one had come in. Then Harry noticed a small pile of hats bobbing up and down, making its way over to him, and Harry knew who it was.

"Hello Dobby," he said. The elf looked shameful. "What's wrong?"

"Dobby comes on behalf of all the house-elves to apologize sir," he said. "We knew that Professor Dumbledore would create the anti-apparition field, and we did not take notice to it." Tears were beginning to well in his tennis-ball sized eyes.

"It's ok Dobby. It's over now, and I know that if you could have fought, you would've."

"Thank you for your forgiveness Harry Potter. We are truly in your debt."

"No you're not. You give us a warm place to sleep every night, and food to fill our stomachs with delicious food every day. If anything, we owe you," said Harry. Dobby blushed to the tips of his ears.

"Thank you Harry Potter," Dobby said. "Dobby must be going now, lots to prepare for dinner." Harry nodded and Dobby gave a final bow a disappeared.

Just then a loud "thump" came from the window, and the three of them looked out and saw Pig flying around the window with a letter clamped in his beak.

"I'll get it," said Harry standing up, accidently knocking Hermione to the floor.

"Hey!" she complained. Harry grinned.

"Sorry," he said.

"You better be, or next time I'll hex you so that you won't be able to sit for a week."

"You wouldn't really do that now would you?" Harry asked opening the window. Hermione grinned. Pig zoomed into the common room and dropped the letter in Hermione's lap.

"Come here," said Harry. Pig finally landed on the back of a chair and started hooting merrily. Hermione opened the envelope, which was in Mrs. Weasley's handwriting.


Dear Harry and Hermione,

I don't want to beat around the bush, so I'll get straight to it. Ron may have already told you the details, but we will be holding his and Luna's funeral on Saturday May 20th, which is in three weeks. Please be at the burrow at 11:00, the funeral will start at 2:00. I'll assume you each want to give a speech, so I have made time for that in the schedule. Please write back with Pig to let me know you got the letter.

Much Love,

Molly Weasley


"Why didn't you tell us about your funeral?" asked Harry.

"Didn't want to make a big deal about it," said Ron.

"Ron, it's your funeral! How can you not make a big deal about it?" asked Hermione awestruck. "You are going to be there right?" Ron laughed.

"Yeah I'll be there. Though I have to admit, going to my own funeral is a little funny isn't it?"

"Well not in the tradition 'ha ha' sense, but there is some comedy to it," said Harry smiling. Hermione was scanning the letter again.

"You're begin buried with Luna?" she asked. Ron bit his lip.

"....yeah, I met her dad once, and he liked me fine. Both he and my mum knew that Luna and I were in love, so when I asked him if he minded Luna and I being buried next to each other, no one complained."

"Well that's some good at least Ron."

"Doesn't erase the fact that she's gone," he said.

"I know," said Hermione. "You'll be with her again."

"I'll write back and let her know we got the letter, ok?" asked Harry. Hermione nodded, and Harry scribbled a quick note to Mrs. Weasley, which he gave to Pig who hooted and zoomed out the window. Ron sighed.

"I'm gonna go for a walk, you guys want to come with?"

"Sure," said Hermione. They got to the portrait hole and noticed Harry was over in the chair still reading the letter."You coming Harry?"

"What? Oh, yeah sure," he said. "Sorry."

"It's ok." The three of them were walking towards the entrance to the grounds, when they ran into a face whom they did not welcome seeing.

"Well, well, well," said Malfoy with a sneer. "The savior, the mudblood, and the ghost."

"Malfoy, I've been through too much these past few weeks to put up with any of your shit," said Harry. "Stand aside."

"What's that Potter? Giving me an order? I don't think so," he said. "I don't take orders from mudblood lovers like yourself." Ron drifted forward.

"If I weren't dead I'd throttle you Malfoy," said Ron. Malfoy laughed.

"But you are dead," he said smiling. "Although I have to admit, you could've at least died like your little girlfriend, she at least died respectfully enough to not grace us with her presence as well-" Malfoy never finished the sentence, because at that moment, Harry tackled him to the ground and began punching him in the face with every ounce of strength he had.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" roared Professor McGonagal coming down the stairs. She was shaking with fury. Hermione, who had been watching the entire scene transpire, opened her mouth to speak, but McGonagal cut her off.

"Malfoy, you should be glad I'm not your head of house right now, or you would be on the train home as we speak. Fifty points from Slytherin, and be happy that it isn't more. IF I EVER HEAR YOU SPEAK OF THOSE WHO HAVE DIED IN BATTLE THAT WAY AGAIN-" McGonagal didn't finish the sentence. Malfoy crawled out from under Harry and ran off towards the Slytherin common room, his face a bloody mess. Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked at her in surprise.

"Professor, you're not going to punish Harry?" asked Hermione. Harry gave Hermione a look of 'why, do you want her to?'.

"Potter, while I do not condone fighting, I am glad that you were there to hit Malfoy, because I most likely would've cursed him had you not been in the way. Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for your bad judgement," she said, and then strode off, still in a rage.

All in all, the three of them agreed that five points was a perfectly fine price to pay for bloodying up Malfoy like that, and so they continued on their wake to the lake.

They walked for about ten minutes, when they came to the tree that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Luna had all sat at the day of the battle. Ron paused.

"Maybe you guys could give me a minute?" he asked.

"Sure," said Hermione. She and Harry continued on and left Ron there by himself. About a half hour later, they circled back and found Ron sitting (or hovering a few inches off the ground) under the tree.

"You ok Ron?" asked Harry.

"Yeah..."

"I know you miss her," said Hermione. "But you'll be with her again."

"I know."

"Come on, let's go back to the common room before dinner, you can crush me in chess if you want to," said Harry speaking to Ron. Ron smiled slightly and sighed.

"....Alright," he said. They were making their way back to the castle when Ron spoke up.

"Thanks for helping me through this guys," he said. Harry and Hermione smiled.

"We wouldn't be very good friends if we didn't now would we?" said Harry as they reached the castle. "Come on Ron, let's race to the Gryffindor common room. Me and Hermione versus you."

"Do I get a say in this?" asked Hermione smiling.

"Nope," said Harry. Ron laughed.

"Harry, I can float through the ceilings, how could you possibly beat me?"

"Wanna back that up with more than your mouth?" Harry asked grinning. Ron laughed again.

"Fine, on your mark......get set.....go!" Harry picked up Hermione in a fireman's carry, and tore off up the stairs while Ron floated through the ceiling.

It wasn't even close. By the time Harry got to the portrait hole, Ron had been outside it waiting for well over a minute. Harry was out of breath completely from carrying Hermione the whole way, and she had been laughing the entire time.

"You carried her the entire way?!" asked Ron.

"::pant:: yes- ::pant:: -if- ::pant:: -she- ::pant:: -wasn't- ::pant:: -so- ::pant:: -bloody- ::pant:: -heavy," Hermione hit him.

"I could've run on my own, thanks," she said smirking.

"More...fun...this way," Harry said starting to get his breath back.

"Come on," said Ron. "I still have to wallop you in chess." The three of them entered the common room, and Harry set up the pieces. The game was over in ten minutes, Ron absolutely destroying Harry.

"Good game mate," Ron said smiling.

"Yeah, sure," responded Harry with a chuckle.

"Hermione wanna play?" asked Ron.

"Oh fine," she said.

Hermione lost her game too, but she and Harry decided to put a galleon on who could beat Ron first, exchanging games playing against him. Neither of them ended up winning the bet, and so they went down to dinner. Dinner was uneventful, and afterwards the three of them parted in the Gryffindor common room to go to sleep.

=====

All in all, it was a better three weeks leading up to Ron and Luna's funeral than anyone thought it would be. True, after Harry's fight with Malfoy, Snape had found even more excuses to dock points from Gryffindor, but Harry didn't care. Although Harry disliked Snape almost as much as Malfoy, he had been the first to admit that if it hadn't in fact been for Snape, Harry would have lost Hermione in the battle too.

The night before the funeral, Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting in the common room talking about what would happen the next day.

"Black," Ron said. "Everyone wears black robes, except for Dumbledore who's acting as reverend. He wears white." Harry and Hermione nodded. Neither of them had ever been to a wizard funeral before. The Order had given Sirius a small memorial service, but nothing along the lines of a proper funeral.

"Ron..." asked Hermione hesitantly. "Um, what about the bodies?"

"What about them?"

"Well it's just that...-"

"Luna's and my body will be buried in the backyard of the burrow, yes," Ron said finishing Hermione's sentence.

"So Ron, how exactly are we getting there?" asked Harry.

"What Dumbledore didn't tell you?" Ron said. Harry and Hermione shook their heads. "Tomorrow morning we're going to his office and we'll take a portkey to the Burrow."

"Oh," said Harry turning a little pale. He had stopped liking traveling with portkeys after his fourth year.

"So have you guys thought about a speech?" asked Ron.

"Yeah about that Ron..." said Hermione. "Harry and I were wondering if we could make our speech together."

"I don't see why not, just try not to grope each other too much in front of everyone. They'll all have had lunch, and I don't want to make clean-up for my mom any harder than it is already," said Ron with a smile.

"Ron, that's not nice, we were being serious," said Harry.

"I know you were," responded Ron. Then seeing the look on Harry's face he quickly added, "Oh come on, all this talk about death, it's really disheartening you know."

"I know, it's just strange, going to your funeral and talking to you about it the day before," Harry remarked. Ron scoffed.

"Try going to your own funeral and watching yourself get buried." Harry gave a weak smile.

"Yeah, it must be pretty weird."

"Ron, do the people going to the funeral know that you're a ghost? I mean I would think that seeing you in your present condition would give some people quite a scare if they weren't expecting it," said Hermione.

"Yeah, I think mum included that part when she sent out the letters."

The conversation continued like this for several hours, each of them asking questions, until Hermione looked at Harry's watch and saw that it was two in the morning.

"Look at the time!" she exclaimed. "We need to get to bed, we have to wake up at ten tomorrow!" Ron groaned at hearing this.

"I like sleeping in on Saturdays, so my mum schedules my own funeral for two in the afternoon, knowing full well that I have to be there three hours in advance," said Ron. "Alright, well let's all go to bed." The Ron and Harry said goodnight to Hermione, and went up to the dorm. Ron drifted into his bed while Harry changed into his PJ's. Seamus, Dean, and Neville were asleep.

"Are they coming tomorrow?" Harry whispered to Ron.

"Yeah, my mum invited them so they said yes. They'll be leaving after us though," Ron whispered back.

"Ok. Night then."

"Night."

The morning rolled around and Harry's watch went off at ten, right on the dot.

"Turn that thing off mate," said Seamus into his pillow. "It's too early."

"Lucky them," said Ron yawning. "Get to sleep in."

"Come on," said Harry already in the process of dressing. "I bet Hermione's already downstairs waiting for us." Harry finished putting on his clothes and the two of them left the dorms to make their way downstairs. Just as Harry had predicted, Hermione was already there waiting for them.

"Morning," she said. "I don't suppose you two showered?" Harry and Ron looked at each other.

"I don't need to as I'm only made of air," said Ron. "But I don't think Harry has." Harry shook his head in agreement. Hermione sighed.

"It is a funeral, we do need to be clean you know," she said with a very motherly look on her face.

"Well then I'll take one at the Burrow."

"Uh.....we don't really have any hot water Harry," said Ron. Harry was sure that if Ron was still alive his cheeks would have been bright red.

"You say that like I care. I've lived with the Dursleys for 16 years, not once have I gotten a shower with hot water," said Harry with disgust.

"Well then feel free to use it when we get there," said Ron. "When are you guys going to change into your robes?"

"I'll change after I shower," Harry said.

"I'm going to change at the Burrow too," added Hermione. Ron nodded.

"Well you two must be hungry, let's go and get you two something to eat. You don't want to cry on an empty stomach after all," said Ron grinning.

"What makes you think we're going to cry?" retorted Harry with a smile. Ron went to punch him in the head, but his arm passed through Harry, sending a shiver down Harry's spine.

"You know that that is absolutely freezing right," asked Harry trying to regain some of his lost body heat.

"I know, that's why I did it. There are certain advantages to being a ghost you know." Harry and Ron shared a chuckle, while Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Well let's go shall we?" asked Harry. The others nodded and they made their way to the great hall.

When they arrived they found that very few people ate at ten-thirty on a Saturday morning, as the great hall was almost deserted. Only a few members from each house, and the staff were there. Harry and Hermione sat down and began to eat their breakfast, and Ron let out a sigh.

"Miss food?" asked Harry.

"Oh you have no idea," said Ron. "It's not the fact that I'm not ever hungry because I don't have a stomach, it's just that I loved the taste of food." His eyes shone of longing. "Any food. All food. Old food, new food. Food was what got me out of bed in the mornings."

"He's not kidding there," said Harry to Hermione.

"Shut up," said Ron jokingly. "You try watching people devour a chocolate pie knowing that you can't have any. It's almost impossible."

"I know Ron, just try not to think about it. At least you can't smell it," noted Hermione.

"Yeah, I know," said Ron sighing. At this point Dumbledore came over.

"Hello," he said. Harry noticed that the headmaster's eyes held sorrow. "My condolences, Mr. Weasley."

"Not at all," Ron said.

"When you are done eating, please come to my office so I can take you to the Burrow," he said.

"Sure thing Professor," replied Harry. The rest of breakfast was, for the most part, silent, with the exception of the occasional sigh from Ron. Finally, Harry and Hermione had eaten their fill.

"At last," Ron said. "I thought you two would never finish."

"I wish I had one of those muggle video recorders," said Hermione. "So I could show you exactly what you looked like when you were eating."

"Was it terrible?" asked Ron smiling.

"Hideous," said Harry. The three of them laughed and exited the great hall towards Dumbledore's office.

When they entered the office, they found Dumbledore stroking Fawkes with his index finger.

"Ah," the headmaster smiled. "Are you ready?" Hermione and Ron nodded, but then Harry remembered something.

"Damn, I forgot my black robes," he said.

"No worries Harry," said Dumbledore. With a flick of his wand, long black robes appeared in front of Harry, pressed, and ready to be worn. "And perhaps some underclothes would do as well." One more flick and a pair of black dress pants, a white button down shirt, and a black belt appeared. Harry picked them up.

"Wow, thank you Professor," he said wide-eyed.

"Not at all, Harry. Now perhaps we should be going?" The three of them nodded. Dumbledore tapped a quill on his desk with his wand. The quill glowed blue briefly, then reverted to its original color. "Everyone put a finger on, or through it," Dumbledore said. Once they all had at least a finger on the quill, Dumbledore tapped it once for with his wand, and they were off.

The four of them arrived at the Burrow seconds later, and found themselves in the living room. Mrs. Weasley ran in from the kitchen.

"Oh I'm so glad you all made it," she said pulling Harry and Hermione into a hug. "I wouldn't have ever thought that this day would come so soon," she said with tears in her eyes. "Come here Ron." Ron drifted over to his mother, who proceeded to wrap her arms around her son, even though she could not physically hug him.

"It's ok mum, I'm here in one piece," said Ron. Mrs. Weasley wiped the tears from her eyes.

"I know, I just miss you that's all,"she said. "Well I have to continue the preparations, you would like to lend a hand?"

"Sure thing, Mrs. Weasley," said Harry. The four of them followed Mrs. Weasley out to the backyard, where there were several dozen chairs laid out, and in the very back, two freshly dug spaces in the earth.

"You seem to have handled most of it quite nicely Molly," remarked Dumbledore. "Perhaps I can help you with what you need, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione can all go and get ready."

"Oh, right," she said. "Sure thing." The three of them entered the house when a thought crossed Harry's mind.

"Hermione, what about your clothing? You didn't bring anything with you."

"My parents are bringing the dress I'm going to wear. And as for the robes-" she said. She took her robes off and took out her wand. "Transmatus Blakkr," she said, and instantly her robes turned to a dead black. "There." Harry gave a impressed smile.

"Do you know you're too smart for your own good?" he whispered in her ear. Hermione giggled.

"Now Harry, there's no such thing as being too smart."

"Someday you're gonna put those smarts to use for something other than work, and I'm gonna regret that day dearly," Harry said grinning. Hermione slapped him in the arm.

"Now now," said Ron. "No snogging here. Go do that somewhere else where I don't have to watch you. I don't want to dry-vomit on the day of my own funeral." Hermione shot him a menacing look.

"Go shower," she said to Harry. "You need to get ready."

"The funeral isn't starting for another-" Harry checked his watch. "Three hours."

"As the deceased's best friends, we need to be there to greet people with the family members when they start arriving."

"Ugh, fine," Harry said. "Shower still upstairs Ron?"

"Yeah, just do me a favor and lock the door."

"I always do, but why?" asked Harry slowly.

"I don't want any indecent acts happening on my funeral day," he said with a smile.

"You're lucky you're dead, otherwise I'd hex you Ron," said Hermione.

"Yeah well-" Ron started, but Hermione cut him off.

"-being dead has it's advantages, I know. You say it all the time," she said.

"And here I was thinking that you weren't paying attention," Ron replied in a very fatherly tone.

"Well I'm off to clean up," said Harry. "Don't want to keep you two from arguing." Harry left to go shower, carrying his new clothes courtesy of Dumbledore, unnoticed by Hermione and Ron who were still arguing amongst each other.

Harry walked into the bathroom on the second floor, put his clothes on the sink, and got in the shower after locking the door and undressing. Harry was showering for about fifteen minutes when he heard the door open. Thankfully, Harry had the curtain closed.

"You know you shouldn't leave your clothes on the sink, Harry. They could fall," said Hermione walking in.

"Hermione what are you doing in here?" hissed Harry from behind the curtain. "How'd you unlock the door"

"I unlocked the door with magic.

"I told you someday you would use your wits for something other than work," said Harry with a chuckle.

"Ha ha," she said. "I'm in here to change. My parents got here and I need to put on my dress and do my hair. Fred and George are using the bathroom downstairs to test out a new thing-a-majig, and Ginny is in the only bedroom with a mirror."

"You couldn't wait until I got out?"

"Harry, honestly, it's not like we're never going to see each other naked," Hermione said bluntly. In the shower, Harry's jaw dropped. Yes, that thought had crossed his mind from time to time, but he never thought that Hermione would be so open and honest about something like that.

"Well....uh...I...uh, " Harry began.

"Harry don't worry about it, we won't even see each other as long as you stay behind the curtain." Harry sighed.

"Ok." Harry continued to shower, but five minutes later, Hermione had still not left. He had been in the shower for twenty minutes, and he didn't want to waste any more water, considering he was now clean.

"Hermione are you being slow on purpose?"

"No, why are you done?"

"Yes," Harry said turning off the water. "Hand me a towel please."

"Why?" Hermione asked in a very sing-song tone.

"Because I would like to dry off."

"You're planning of drying off in there?" she asked referring to the shower stall.

"Unless you plan on leaving," he replied.

"You know Harry, I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this. You don't have anything to be ashamed of.....do you?" she asked snickering.

"I do not, thank you very much, I just didn't know we were to the point in our relationship where we strut around naked in front of each other."

"I do not consider drying off after a shower to be 'strutting around', but suit yourself." Hermione tossed Harry a towel over the shower curtain. He dried himself, and then when Hermione was still there, he asked for his boxer trunks.

"I'm not your servant, you know," she said chuckling.

"I know that, I'm just asking for a favor," Harry replied.

"Oh for Pete's sake Harry, I'm not looking. Just run over and put your boxers on. They're on the heater."

"Fine, but you better not look," he said. Harry glanced out from behind the shower curtain and saw Hermione doing her hair in the mirror. Quickly, he ran over to the heater and put his trunks on. Hermione turned around at him and giggled.

"You didn't see did you?"

"Harry you really aren't as smart as you look, are you?" she said laughing. Harry didn't get it. She had been turned around doing her hair in the mirror. In the mirror. Harry's face turned red.

"Don't be embarrassed," she said watching him pull his shirt on. He pulled his dress pants up, so that his shirt would be tucked in, and looked at Hermione. He hadn't noticed that she had changed into a black spaghetti strap dress, which looked very good on her. Hermione saw him looking at her.

"Do you like it?" she asked twirling around.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he said buttoning his shirt. Hermione blushed a little.

"You don't look too bad yourself," she said. Just then they heard Ron's voice through the door.

"Hey! You two better not be up to anything in there."

"We're just finishing getting changed Ron, don't worry about it," said Hermione.

"WHAT?! I SAID NO HANKY-PANKY TODAY!"

"Nothing happened Ron, don't worry," said Harry finishing getting dressed and pulling his robes on. "Let's go." Hermione put on her robes as well and they walked out of them bathroom. Ron was floating there with his arms crossed.

"Honestly Ron, you can be worse than your mother sometimes," said Hermione grinning. "Nothing happened."

"Fine," he said. "But don't go sharing a bathroom like that again until you get your own place." This statement caused Harry and Hermione to blush.

"Come on Harry, I want you to meet my parents," said Hermione. Ron laughed.

"I guess nothing really happened, she'd be terrified to look her parents in the eyes if something had," he said to Harry.

"Hermione do you think this is the right time for me to meet your parents and all?" Harry asked.

"Of course, I've told them all about you. And...us," she said, the tips of her ears turning red a little. Harry smiled. He loved it when she blushed like that. She led him downstairs, Ron floating a little ways behind. They entered the living room, and Harry saw Hermione's parents sitting there smiling.

"Hello Harry, I don't believe we've been formally introduced," said Mr. Granger standing up. "I'm Hermione's father, David, and this is her mother, Emma."

"Pleasure to meet you sir," said Harry shaking Mr. Granger's hand. "And you too Mrs. Granger," shaking her hand as well.

"Well Hermione's told us all about you, of course," said Mr. Granger. "I'm glad to see her finally in a healthy relationship, she really hasn't ever had one."

"DAD!" shouted Hermione in shock, the blood rushing to her face. Ron was suppressing laughter over in the corner.

"Thank you Mr Granger," Harry said. "I'm glad to be with your daughter, she's quite attractive."

"HARRY!" yelled Hermione, turning an even deeper shade of red. Ron was having trouble controlling himself.

"Well I'm glad to see that Hermione has found someone who sees what she really is," said Mrs. Granger smiling. "I've been telling her that for ages."

"MUM!?" cried Hermione, her face turning a color that rivaled Uncle Vernon. Ron could no longer contain himself, he fell onto the air in a fit of laughter. Harry and Hermione's parents couldn't help smiling a bit.

"What is all the commotion in here!?" asked Mrs. Weasley stomping into the room. "This is not a happy day. Honestly you are acting as if Harry and Hermione were getting married or something..." she said walking back out of the room. Hermione put her head in her hands, and this time everyone around the room had a good laugh. Even Mr. Granger had to wipe the tears from his eyes from laughing.

"Really dear, we're not trying to embarrass you," he said speaking to his daughter.

"You're not doing a very good job of it," said Hermione through her hands.

"Oh come on," said Harry pulling her into a hug. "It's quite comical. Don't let it get to you," he said kissing her on the forehead. She looked up at him and hit him in the arm, smiling.

"Oh it looks like the guests are starting to arrive," said Mrs. Granger standing up. Mrs. Weasley ran into the room, followed by Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, and to everyone's surprise, Percy. Ron's eyes widened in shock.

"Percy?" he asked. "What are you doing here?" Percy sighed.

"Even though you have all made some bad decisions in the past-" Ron scoffed. "-I wouldn't be very much of a man if I didn't attend my own brother's funeral," he said. Ron smirked.

"Apology accepted," Ron said. "Did you make up with the others?"

"Except Dad, yes," Percy said. "He's still mad at me, but I'll talk to him."

"GINNY?" Mrs. Weasley yelled up the stairs. "THE GUESTS ARE ARRIVING!"

"I'm coming Mom, hold your horses," said Ginny walking down the stairs.

"Ok," began Mrs. Weasley. "When they come in, just introduce yourselves and tell them to go out back."

"Easy enough," said George.

As the guests started to arrive, Harry could tell that some of them were skeptical as to Ron being at his own funeral, but none of them complained. Harry could tell that most of the guests were friends of Mr. Weasley from the Ministry. Harry saw Dean, Seamus, and Neville along with some of Luna's friends from Ravenclaw as well.

Finally, it was 1:50, and everyone took their seats waiting for the funeral to begin. Harry noticed that there were now two coffins floating above the new holes in the ground. A few minutes later, Dumbledore came out dressed in white robes, and walked up to a small podium that was in front of the burial ground.

If there had been a mood of happiness before, it was all gone now.

"Friends," Dumbledore began. "We are here today to remember the lives of Ronald Weasley, and Luna Lovegood, who both died a heroic death. There is much to be said, but it is not for me to say. I therefore will now ask that you give your attention to the Weasley family, who have a few words that they would like to share."

Ginny, Fred, George, Percy, Bill, Charlie, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley walked to the front. Mrs. Weasley stepped up to the podium with tears in her eyes.

"I would like to thank all of you for being here," she began. "Although you all know that Ron's soul is still with us,-" a few people looked at Ron. "-we will greatly miss his physical presence in this world. You are already greatly missed." Mrs. Weasley walked to the arms of her husband wiping the tears from her eyes, and Charlie and Bill stepped up.

"Ron, we can't say we know what you're going through, because we don't, but all we can say is that when you decide to leave us once and for all, we respect your decision and hope that life becomes better for you on the other side," Charlie said and Bill nodded. Next Fred and George spoke.

"Ron, we realize that we've hassled you a lot over the years, but we feel it has made you stronger. We hope that you can continue to use the knowledge we've given you, and put it to good use." The twins stepped down and went over to the two oldest Weasley sons, and their parents.

"Ron," began Ginny. "I want to thank you for everything you've showed me. You helped Harry save my life in your second year, and I wished that someday I would be able to return the favor. However, I wasn't able to. Therefore I apologize to you Ron, for not being able to be there when you needed me the most," said Ginny with a tear. With that, she walked off to join her family, and Percy was left at the podium.

"Ron," he began. "I know I haven't been the best brother, or son for that matter," he said looking at his parents. "-in the world. When it came down to it, you gave your life for what's right, while I cowered behind my desk and let everything happen. I apologize. With that aside, I hope you take the advice that we all have given you throughout the years and take it with you when you decide to go. It has been an honor to be your brother," said Percy bowing his head. With that, the Weasleys walked back to their seats.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I would now ask that you give your attention to Christopher Lovegood," said Dumbledore. Luna's father went to the podium.

"I'm happy that you all could be here," he said tears running down his face. "For those of you who don't know me, I'm Luna's father. I think that, if Luna could choose any way to die, it would have been dying for the person she loved." Ron hung his head. "Luna had a bright life ahead of her, and it was torn from her at the age of sixteen-" Luna's father broke down crying. Dumbledore went up to the podium to comfort him. "I'm sorry," Mr. Lovegood said wiping his eyes. "Thank you all for being here today," he said stepping down. Dumbledore escorted him back to his seat, then spoke again.

"Now, Mr. Ron Weasley has a few things to say." There were some murmurs from the audience as Dumbledore said this. Ron floated to the podium and spoke.

"I know that it's a bit, unconventional, for one to attend one's own funeral. There are just a few things that I would like to say, to set the record straight. The first, and foremost, is that Luna died in order to save my life. She was supposed to be here, like me but her soul was ripped from her body, and was therefore she was not able to become a ghost like me. After watching her die, I tried to avenge her death by killing her murderer, who is none other than Lord Voldemort." A few people gasped. "Voldemort then conjuring a sword and-" Ron gulped. "...well, killed me, despite everyone else's best efforts. That is why I am here and Luna is not. I cannot even disappear until Voldemort is finally defeated. Which brings me to none other than Harry Potter, who now will say a few words," Ron finished. Everyone turned and looked at Harry, who stood up, Hermione with him. They made their way to the podium, nodding to Ron as they passed.

"Firstly, I want to apologize," said Harry. "I am partially at fault for the deaths of Luna and Ron. I'll be the first to admit, I was not concentrating hard enough on defeating the Dark Lord a month ago. I only had two chances, and both times I missed. I was even stunned by the death eaters at one point, only to be brought back by Hermione here." Hermione's face turned slightly red. "Luna died because of a lapse in my concentration. Voldemort and I were face to face, and when he turned around to kill Ron, I should've taken the opportunity right then and there, but I was not strong or quick enough. I therefore, apologize to the families of Luna and Ron, and hope you can forgive me in time. Ron, you were and still are one of my closest friends, and when you choose to go we will surely miss you." Harry moved aside for Hermione to speak.

"Ron, you and Luna were both great people, and you had a connection which is seen rarely today in two people. You two were made for each other, you were bonded forever by your love." Hermione felt Harry squeeze her hand as she said this. "Yet now you have been torn apart, because of the discontent that Voldemort brings. I promise you, Harry and I will devote our time left on this planet to remove that Dark Lord from the face of the earth. You will be reunited with Luna someday Ron, and when you are, please think of Harry and I. We will always be your friends," she finished. Harry and Hermione made their way back to their seats.

"That was beautiful," Harry whispered as they sat down. Hermione put her head on his shoulder as Dumbledore approached the podium for the last time.

"It is now time to give peace to those who have died," he said. He waved his wand, and the coffins descended into the ground with "Amazing Grace" playing softly in the background. Harry could hear Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Lovegood sobbing along with others as the coffins came to a rest below the ground. Dumbledore raised his wand one more time, and the holes in which the two coffins lay became filled with earth. A single tombstone now appeared behind the new piles of dirt. Dumbledore spoke again.

"I would just like to give a reminder to all of you. We must all remember that death is not something to be sad for. It is a step we all must take at some point in our lives, and it should be embraced when the time has passed. Naturally, for two people to die at such a young age is tragic, but we must remember that with time comes healing. Never have I had two students so different than Ron and Luna, yet so inseparable. May you rest in peace," he finished. A single tear fell onto his long, silver, beard and he stepped down.

The reception was being held inside the house, and Harry could not believe so many people fit into the burrow. Halfway through it, Hermione pointed out that Mrs. Weasley had obviously magically expanded the living room so that everyone would fit. At that point Ron drifted over.

"Thank you guys," he said. "I appreciate what you said out there about me. I really do."

"We know Ron," said Hermione. "We really miss her too."

"You still have my word mate," Harry said.

"I know Harry, just don't get killed trying to avenge me," said Ron with a sad smile. "I'm going over to talk to Luna's dad. He looks like he needs some cheering up." Hermione nodded, and Ron drifted over to where Luna's dad was sitting.

"Harry, could we go somewhere quiet for a little while?" asked Hermione.

"Sure," said Harry. They walked back out to the now empty backyard and sat down in front of the graves. It was then they noticed for the first time what the inscription on the tombstone was:

Here lie Ronald A. Weasley and Luna E. Lovegood

1980-1996

In life, their love was divine

In death, their love is immortal

R.I.P.

Erected in loving memory by Christopher Lovegood and the Weasley Family

"That's beautiful," said Hermione.

"You would never have thought that two people so different could love each other so much," Harry said. Hermione looked up at him.

"I love you that much," she said. Harry smiled.

"Are we really that different though?" he asked.

"Not really," she said

"Well for one, I'm burdened with saving the world," he said.

"But I'll be by your side until the end," she responded. Harry didn't need any more convincing. He knew he was going to spend the rest of his life with the woman in his arms.

"God, I love you," he whispered.

"I know," she said.

=====

The last two weeks of school passed without event. Ron had decided to remain at Hogwarts until the school year ended (and he'd probably come back next year too, he said), and so the final night of the 6th year rolled around.

That night, at the End of Term feast, Dumbledore stood to make his usual announcements.

"For the past three years," he began. "We have had a very tragic loss each year. First, it was Cedric Diggory, the first casualty in the second war against Voldemort. He died at the age of 17, a bright future ahead of him. Second, was Sirius Black, the man who was wrongfully sentenced to Azkaban for 12 years, and even after escaping, he continued to protect our world. And he still protects us, to this day. And finally, we had Ron Weasley and Luna Lovegood, who each died in the fight to restore peace and unity to all of us. At the age of 16, neither of them deserved the fate that befell them. Therefore I ask that you all raise your glasses in a moment of silence, for Ron and Luna, the ones who died so we could live."

Everyone raised their glasses, except for a select few at the Slytherin table, Malfoy included.

"To Ron and Luna," said Dumbledore.

"To Ron and Luna," the hall echoed.

"And now," Dumbledore continued. "Let us eat until our stomachs burst."

Ron had joined the Gryffindors for the feast even though he couldn't eat, and was now sitting next to Harry.

"Are you ok Ron?" Harry asked. Ron had been much more depressed since his funeral.

"Yeah, it's tough not being with her, that's all."

"Don't worry Ron," said Hermione.

"I'm not worried, I know you'll get him Harry. I just wish that I could hold her one more time." Ron stared up at the enchanted ceiling.

The next day, everyone boarded onto the Hogwarts Express, and Ron, Harry, and Hermione were joined halfway through the train ride by Ginny.

"Hey guys," said Ginny sitting down next to Ron. "How's it going?"

"Well enough," said Ron. "Always could be better though." Ginny laughed

"No shit."

"Ginny!" said Hermione in shock from Harry's lap. "What would your mother say if she heard you talk like that?"

"I dunno, but she didn't so who cares," Ginny said with a smile. This summoned a slight chuckle from everyone.

"Chess anyone?" asked Ron. "At least I can still play my favorite game."

"I'll play," said Ginny. Neither Harry nor Hermione had ever seen Ginny play Ron in chess, and they both thought it would be a good match.

It ended up being a good match, but Ron won nonetheless.

"Bah, you just got lucky," said Ginny with a smirk.

"Luck?" said Ron in bewilderment. "No such thing in chess."

"Yeah, well, hey! We're here!" exclaimed Ginny. The train had indeed just pulled into King's Cross station.

Ginny, Hermione, and Harry got their things (Ron had his stuff moved back to the Burrow the day before) and headed out to wait in line to get onto the muggle side of the platform.

"Ron, um, how do you plan on getting home from here, you can't very well go floating about in public," asked Hermione. Ron smiled.

"Harry isn't the only one with a invisibility cloak," he said. "My dad has one and he's brining it to me now, see?" Indeed Mr. Weasley was making his way over to them with a bulge in his robes. "Ginny is going to cover the both of us with it." Harry and Hermione smiled.

"We'll you'll be off then," said Harry. "I'll talk to you during the summer."

"Most definitely mate," said Ron smiling, and he, Ginny, and Mr. Weasley departed through the archway. Harry and Hermione were left standing in line, so they decided to talk about the summer.

"This summer is going to be hell without you," Hermione said to Harry.

"It's going to be twice as bad for me, at least the people that you live with like you," Harry replied.

"I'll see if I can get Dumbledore to let me visit you at some point, I promise I'll see you sometime during the summer," she said as they passed through the archway.

"Don't forget to write," Harry said as he leaned in to kiss her one last time. They stood like that until a familiar voice parted through the air.

"BOY! What are you doing!?" Uncle Vernon called. Harry quickly drew away.

"I'll write to you as soon as I get home," Hermione said. Harry smiled.

"Please be quick to ask Dumbledore. I don't think I'll make it four weeks without you," he said. He kissed her on the forehead one last time and walked off to his uncle.

"What were you doing with that girl?" demanded Harry's uncle.

"Kissing her," replied Harry as calm as he could be. His uncle looked taken aback by Harry's bluntness.

"Well that better be all you're doing with her, I'm not raising any more of your kind," he said turning. "Come on, I don't want to keep your aunt and cousin waiting."

Harry followed Uncle Vernon without saying a word. As they got to the end of the platform, Harry turned one last time and saw Hermione waving at him in the distance. He waived back, and at the same time, had no idea how he was going to be able to last the mandatory four weeks at the Dursley's this summer without her.

"This is going to be the longest month of my life," Harry thought as he stepped into the car and Uncle Vernon drove off towards Number 4 Privet Drive.


The End

(or is it...........?)

Well everyone, it's been a wonderful experience writing this. I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it, and I hope you look forward to the sequel. I'm going to take about a week off to regroup my ideas, and then it's back to WordPerfect. Thanks so much for your reviews and time, and as always, flames are welcome, just expect me to cook my hamburgers on them. :)

Yours and always,

-G.S.
a.k.a. TheGreatFox2000