Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Along by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Along

Amynoelle

Authors Note: Thanks again for the kind, great reviews. You guys are awesome and they keep me going! This one is kind of short, but I promise the next couple of chapters will be longer and more exciting, but I don't want to give too much away. Keep reading and reviewing!

Chapter Fourteen

Tell Me No Lies

Hermione smiled nervously at the female Auror who had agreed to go with Hermione when she went to tell Ron that she was leaving. She really didn't know what she was going to tell him. She hated to lie to him, but she knew if he knew the truth, it would crush him. This was for the best, though, for all of them.

They had decided that Hermione should tell Ron without Harry present. She had decided to tell Ron that she felt overworked and stressed out and just wanted to spend a couple of days away from work and family and wedding plans and just relax. This was all true, but she was going to leave out the part about Harry joining her. The thought of them being alone together both excited and scared her. The proverbial can of worms was fixing to be opened and Hermione hoped it wouldn't cause too much of a mess.

The female Auror was named Mia. She was a plain looking woman who looked to be in her early thirties. Although she had only met her a few minutes ago, Hermione thought that she seemed very nice. Mia had regaled Hermione with tales of serving alongside Harry and Sirius these past few years. Hermione had only heard half of what she'd said, though. Her mind was playing out different scenarios. She had always hated to lie, and truth be told, it was one of the one things she'd always thought she was really bad at. She had an annoying habit of stammering and going on and on about it when a simple, succinct lie would have been quite sufficient.

Ron knew her well. She hoped that he wouldn't be able to tell that she was lying. She had tried his apartment, but he hadn't been home. She decided to try the Quidditch practice fields. She and Mia were walking quickly to the fields.

Hermione waved at the guard at the gate who ushered her and Mia inside.

"Ron's out on Pitch #4, Miss Granger," the guard called after her. "The whole team's having a practice."

"Thanks," Hermione said, as she and Mia walked toward the Quidditch pitch.

When they finally reached the pitch, Hermione saw that the team had yet to take to the air. Ron was embroiled in what looked like an intense meeting with the coach and his fellow players. When Ron saw her, he waved and nodded at her.

Hermione waved back, nervously. She and Mia took a seat on one of the benches.

"I don't get to watch much Quidditch," Mia said, looking out at the field. "Never really got much into it. My husband, Ernie, though, is a fanatic. Do you know he scheduled our honeymoon around the Quidditch World Cup? Talk about love and devotion, huh?"

Hermione smiled. "I know what you mean."

"Harry used to play, didn't he?" Mia said. "He never talked too much about it, though."

"Yeah, Harry was one of the best I've ever seen," Hermione said. "He was the youngest seeker at Hogwarts in over a century, you know? I used to watch him up there and just marvel at how good he was. It was a shame that he didn't take it up professionally."

"That boy was destined for greatness," Mia said, smiling. "It was in his blood. I'm convinced he could do anything he wanted, if he set his mind to it."

Hermione smiled. "Yeah."

"He talked about you a lot, Miss Granger," Mia said. "I'd talk to him about Ernie and he'd tell me about you and how much he cared about you. Regretted leaving you behind."

"How do you do it, Mia?" Hermione said. "I mean, you're married and you're an Auror. I thought they discouraged things like that when you're an Auror."

Mia shook her head. "They don't discourage it. They don't recommend it, either, mind you. It's not been very easy for Ernie and I."

"What does Ernie do?" Hermione asked.

"He's a Muggle, actually," Mia said. "Can you believe it? We met one summer after I finished at Hogwarts. I took a trip to Ireland and when I set eyes on him, I knew he was the one. I just felt it deep down. I looked at him and I knew that there wouldn't be anyone else for me, but him. Of course, it took him awhile to know that, too. And it took him awhile to handle the news of me being a witch and all, but he's really amazing. Don't get me wrong, he can be a real pain in the arse, too, but I love that man with all my heart."

"Well, you must be apart an awful lot, though, with your job," Hermione asked.

"We are, sometimes, but I'm mostly an office Auror these days," Mia said. "We just found out a couple of weeks ago that we're going to have a baby."

"That's great, Mia," Hermione said. "When are you due?"

"Sometime next spring," Mia said. "I'm only in the first trimester now. I get to spend more time at home, now, which I absolutely love. I think my days as an Auror are going to be over very soon."

Hermione turned to say something else to Mia, but stopped when she saw Ron running toward her.

"Well, this is a nice surprise," Ron said, smiling at her. He kissed her on the cheek and Hermione smiled, nervously. "What are you doing here, Hermione?"

"Hi, Ron," she said.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friend?" Ron said, looking at Mia.

"Oh, of course," Hermione said. "Um, this is Mia Thomas, she's possibly going to be joining my staff at The Ministry. Mia, this is Ron Weasley."

Ron shook hands with Mia. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mia," he said. "So, what do you have to talk to me about? I don't have much time. Stevens is being a real slave driver today." He motioned toward the coach, Robert Stevens.

"I'll just give you two a minute," Mia said, and she walked a few feet away. She could still be near Hermione, but was out of earshot of Ron and Hermione.

Hermione smiled gratefully to her and sat back down on the bench. Ron joined her.

"So, what's up, love?" Ron said.

"I know that this is going to be a really terrible time to do this, Ron," Hermione began. "But I really need a break. I'm just feeling overwhelmed by the wedding, my job, everything, really."

"I always tell you that you work way too hard, Hermione," Ron said. "You do need a break."

"I think so, too. I was thinking of just getting away by myself for a couple of days just to regroup and relax," Hermione said.

"I'd love to come with you, Herm," Ron said. "But I've got a crucial set of games coming up and Stevens has got some endorsement deals for the team. I wouldn't be able to go. But you should go. You deserve time off."

Hermione hated this. He was being way too understanding. She felt about as low as a slug.

"So where do you think you'll go?" Ron asked.

"Somewhere nice and quiet and peaceful," Hermione said. "Somewhere in the States, probably."

"That sounds lovely," Ron said, putting an arm around her. "I'm going to miss you, though."

"I'll miss you, too," Hermione said, softly.

"What about Harry?" Ron asked.

"What?" Hermione said, surprised.

"Harry. Where is he going to stay? At your flat while you're gone?" Ron asked.

"Um, no," Hermione said. "He's actually going to be away for a few days on a case with Sirius."

"Not gone for good, though," Ron said, concerned. "He will be back, won't he?"

"He said he would," Hermione said. She looked down at the ground.

"Hey, Weasley," a voice called from a few feet away. "Were you planning on playing today or are you going to use that broom to sweep up the restrooms?"

It was Coach Stevens who was angrily looking over at the two of them.

"Be right there," Ron called to him. "Bloody man's talent is wasted coaching Quidditch. I'm sure there is some third world country he could take over and lead as a dictator."

Hermione gave a half-hearted laugh. "You better go, Ron."

Ron kissed her cheek and forehead once more and then got to his feet. "Well, you have a good time, Hermione. And don't take any lab research with you. You forget about work and forget about the wedding. Just relax. I love you."

Hermione just smiled back at him and watched as he mounted his broom and took to the skies. She felt horrible for doing this and his being all mature and good-natured had only confirmed her opinion that she was an awful, terrible person.

This isn't going to be easy, Hermione thought.

"You ready to go, Hermione," Mia said.

"Yeah," Hermione said, taking one last look at Ron. "Let' s go."

While Hermione was with Ron, Harry was discussing logistics with Sirius. They had met at Hyde Park and not in The Ministry. They didn't want the details of where Harry and Hermione were going to get out. They had no idea who might be listening or if someone had planted some kind of surveillence equipment in Hermione's office and laboratory.

"So," Sirius said. "She's meeting you here?"

"Yeah," Harry said. "She went to tell Ron."

"Surely not to tell him that she was going away with you, Harry?" Sirius said.

"Of course not," Harry said. "She's not going away with me, Sirius. This is just a trip so that we can get to know each other again and see if those same feelings are as strong as they once were."

"That's codswallop, Harry," Sirius said. "And you know it. Those old feelings are still very much there. And we both know that the two of you alone together in paradise…well, we both know how that little scenario will play out."

"Sirius," Harry said. "I don't need to give me a lecture right now, okay?"

"I'm not giving you one, Harry," Sirius said. "I'm just saying that you need to be careful. Don't forget that the main objective is to keep Hermione safe."

Harry smiled. "You know that I'd never let anything happen to her."

"I know," Sirius smiled. "I wish you and she the best of luck."
"Thanks," Harry said.

"Ah, here she is now," Sirius said. They both watched as Hermione came striding up to them with Mia in tow.

"Hi," Harry said, standing up alongside Sirius to welcome them.

"Hi," Hermione said, softly.

"Hi," Harry said, smiling at her.

"Mia," Sirius said. "Thanks for filling in this afternoon."

"No problem, Sirius," Mia said. "Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get on home."

"I'll walk you," Sirius said. "Harry, Hermione, take care of yourself and be in touch."

Hermione and Harry nodded and watched as Mia and Sirius walked away.

"Are you ready?" Harry asked her.

She just stood there looking at him. "Where are we going, Harry?"

"How does Hawaii sound to you?" Harry said.

"Hawaii? I've never been there," Hermione said. "I've heard it's beautiful."

"Neither have I," Harry said. "Don't look so surprised. I've been to a lot of places, but I've never been there. I guess it's not a hotbed for the Dark Arts."

"Well, that's good, isn't it?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I think so," Harry said. "Hey, Hermione. Don't cry."

Her lower lip had begun to tremble and he could see that her eyes had become quite watery. He quickly took her in his arms.

"I know this is hard," he said. "But it will be worth it. You'll see."

She let go of him and nodded. "I know. It was just so hard to lie to him. He was all for it, you know. Me taking a break. He was so great about it and it just made me feel like more of a heel than I already did."

"It'll be okay," Harry said. "It will."

"I don't want to lose you, Harry," Hermione said, taking his hand in hers. "Promise me that however this turns out, you won't disappear from our lives again. Please promise me that or I won't be able to go."

He smiled at her. "Like it or not, you're going to be stuck with me, however this plays out."

She smiled. "Okay, then. You ready to go?"

He smiled. "Let's go."