Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Along by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Along

Amynoelle

Author's Note: Thanks for all the kind reviews. Sorry about the delay in the new chapter. Had a case of writer's block…..hope you enjoy.

Chapter Nine

Fitting

The next two days went by in a blur for Harry and Hermione. They had spent almost every waking moment going over the Ministry employee registers trying to determine whom they needed to keep a close watch on when Hermione returned to work. Harry had finally relented to letting Hermione return to work. She planned to return to work the next day----Thursday---with Harry in tow.

They had taken a break, however, from their investigating to travel into London for Hermione's wedding dress fitting. As she and Harry walked down the street toward the dress shop, Hermione couldn't help thinking how weird this all was. They had been mostly silent, as they had made their way into London. Hormone had taken her cue from Harry, who had been unusually quiet during the walk. Something was bothering him and she wondered if maybe it was where they were going and why they were going there. They hadn't discussed their near kiss or Ron, for that matter. Ron was to return tomorrow evening from his road trip. Hermione didn't even want to think about how that reunion would go.

"It's just up another block," Hermione said to Harry.

"Uh-huh," Harry said.

"Are you alright, Harry?" Hermione asked. "I know we should be doing more important things, like going back over those employee registers, but I promised my mum I would do this today."

"Yeah, I'm okay," Harry said, giving Hermione a half-smile. "So does this seamstress know that you are a witch?"
Hermione laughed. "No. She's a muggle through and through. She's a long-time patient of my parents and she jumped at the chance at altering my mum's dress for me. So, don't go mentioning anything about wizarding, or three-headed dogs or blast-ended screwts, or anything like that."

For the first time since they'd departed Hermione's flat, Harry smiled---an actual, sincere smile.

"Okay," Harry said. "But she'd be missing out on some great stories."

"Yeah," Hermione said. "It probably wouldn't matter if you did, though. She's a little hard of hearing, anyway. Well, here we are."

They had reached the shop. Harry's somber expression returned. He opened the door and ushered Hermione inside. The store was empty.

"Mrs. Tuttle?" Hermione called. "Mrs. Tuttle?"

An older matronly woman came out from behind the curtains. She was wearing a measuring tape around her neck and was carrying a sewing basket.

"Hermione!" she said, smiling broadly as she saw the two of them. She embraced Hermione warmly.

"Hi, Mrs. Tuttle," Hermione said, smiling as they broke the embrace. "It's so good to see you."
"It's good to see you, too," Mrs. Tuttle said. "Last time that I saw you, you were only just a little girl. And look at you now, all grown up and getting married."

Mrs. Tuttle now noticed Harry for the first time.

"Is this the lucky young man? Hermione, what a great catch. He's absolutely adorable," Mrs. Tuttle said. She grabbed a surprised Harry and gave him a bear hug. "How wonderful to meet you."

"I'm not---" Harry said, stuggling to breath. She finally let go of a grateful Harry, but she still held on to his arm and beamed at him.

"Look at you two," Mrs. Tuttle said. "You know, I've been doing this for nearly 40 years and I can always tell when a couple will make it. And it is my expert opinion that the two of you will be together forever. I can see it in the eyes----such love and happiness. I can tell, and I've never been wrong."

Harry and Hermione both stared at the older woman with stunned expressions.

"Um, Mrs. Tuttle," Hermione said. "This isn't my fiancé. This is my friend, my oldest and dearest friend, Harry Potter. Harry, this is Mrs. Tuttle."

Mrs. Tuttle looked at both of them confused. "Hermione, are you sure? I'm never wrong about these things."

"I'm positive. Harry's just my friend," Hermione said. She didn't notice that behind her Harry's face had fallen.

"Oh well, I'm sorry," Mrs. Tuttl e said. "I'm very pleased to meet you Harry. Um, well, why don't we get started? Harry, why don't you sit down while I take the bride-to-be in the back and see how the alterations are going. Hermione, your mum brought the dress over a couple of days and may I just say it's going to look absolutely wonderful on you."

Hermione smiled nervously at Mrs. Tuttle. "I hope so."

Mrs. Tuttle walked toward the back of the shop. Hermione turned to follow, but turned around.

"Are you going to be okay, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Unless some bride-to-be attacks me with a veil, I think I'll be alright."

"Okay," Hermione said. "I guess I'll go on back now."

"Okay," Harry said, sitting down on one of the two chairs in the middle of the shop. He picked up a catalogue and began to flip through it.

"I'm really sorry Hermione, dear," Mrs. Tuttle said, as she pinned the hem of the dress.

"For what?" Hermione said.

"For mistaking your friend out there for your fiance," Mrs. Tuttle said. "I'm usually spot-on accurate with these things, though."

"It's okay," Hermione said.

"So you've been friends for a long time?" Mrs. Tuttle said.

"Yeah," Hermione said, with a smile. "Since we were 11, actually."

"That's a long time," Mrs. Tuttle said.

"Yes, it is." Hermione said.

"Raise your arms dear, I won't to work on that side hem," Mrs. Tuttle said.

Hermione did as she was told and watched in the mirror as Mrs. Tuttle busily worked on the dress.

"That's probably what you saw," Hermione said. "You know, Harry and I being such good friends."

"No," Mrs. Tuttle said. "You see, you can tell a lot about a person by looking in their eyes. Eyes are like a window into the soul, you know? I know it's very clichéd, but it's the truth. I saw something in that boy's eyes when he looked at you. And I'm never wrong about these things."

Hermione shifted uncomfortably. "Oh."

"And I saw the same thing in your eyes, too, dear," Mrs. Tuttle said. "But, maybe you're right, it might just be friendship."

Hermione nodded. "Yes, friendship. That's exactly what it is. Friendship."

"Hmmm," Mrs. Tuttle said. "Well, there we are. I think we just need to redo some of the stitching, but other than that, this dress is amazing."

"Thanks," Hermione said. "I think so, too."

"Do you want to let your friend see?" Mrs. Tuttle said, smiling at her.

"No, that's okay," Hermione said. "Besides, he'll see at the wedding and the dress isn't even finished yet. You still have some minor alterations."

"You should let him see," Mrs. Tuttle said. "He's been sitting out there very patiently. He should see what we've been doing. Besides, it's a beautiful dress and you look beautiful in it."

"Do you really think so?" Hermione said, feeling her cheeks go red.

"Absolutely," Mrs. Tuttle said. "You stay here and I'll go get him."

Hermione smiled. "Okay."

As Mrs. Tuttle left, Hermione looked at herself in the mirror. Truth be told, she'd never been one for fashion and lace. She could still remember how exasperated she'd get having to listen to Lavender and Parvati go on and on about the latest fashion and makeup tips. Yet, she still loved this dress and she had to admit she liked how she looked in it. It was like she had been born to wear that dress. It was beautiful, she had to admit. And she did feel beautiful in it.

The dress was a classic moonlight white with a hand-beaded empire style bodice. The portrait-style neckline was beaded with pearls and the waistline was trimmed with satin ribbon. While a few simple alterations were yet to be done, the dress fit her perfectly.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the curtain swinging back. Hermione turned to see Harry and Mrs. Tuttle watching her. Mrs. Tuttle was beaming at her and Harry stood silently, staring at her. She couldn't read his expression.

"What is it?" Hermione asked, alarmed. "Does it look awful? Do I look awful?"

Harry continued to stare at her without uttering a word.

"Harry?" Hermione asked, worried.

"I think the young man is speechless," Mrs. Tuttle said beaming at Harry. "Trust me that's the reaction you want."

Harry finally closed his mouth and a smile played at the corner of his lips. He seemed to be regaining his composure. "You, um, you look," he began. "You look amazing."

Hermione smiled shyly. "Really?"

"I've never seen anything more beautiful in my entire life," Harry said, sincerely.

"It's just a dress," Hermione said.

"It's not just the dress, Hermione," Harry said, still staring intently at Hermione. "It's the girl in the dress. You are beautiful, Hermione."

Hermione felt her cheeks going pink yet again. "Thanks."

Mrs. Tuttle continued to smile brightly at Hermione. "Let's hope that the groom-to-be has the exact reaction."

"He will," Harry said. "Ron's a lucky man."

Hermione looked down at the floor, suddenly feeling very awkward. "Well, I'd better get changed."

"Yeah," Harry said. "I'll, um, I'll just wait." He took one last look at Hermione and then walked out of the dressing room.

The walk back to Hermione's flat had been a quiet one. Hermione hadn't dared say anything to him. He'd been cool to her ever since they had left the shop. She always knew when to press Harry on what was wrong and when to let things go. She'd sensed from the beginning that this was something he obviously didn't want to talk about.

The bad thing about them not speaking was she was alone with her thoughts. She couldn't forget the look on his face when he'd seen her in the dress. She couldn't get that image out of her mind. She couldn't get Mrs. Tuttle's words out of her mind, either. She tried to tell herself that Mrs. Tuttle didn't know anything about her and Harry. She had no idea of their history or what their relationship had been. She probably told all her customers, stories like that to get them to buy extra accessories or something like that. Deep down, she knew that wasn't true. Mrs. Tuttle had been a friend and patient of her mother's for years. Her mother had always told Hermione what a wonderful, honest woman Mrs. Tuttle was and how there was no one better to perform the alterations on the dress. Mrs. Tuttle, Hermione thought, obviously saw something that neither she nor Harry was willing to admit.

"Hermione?"

"Hmmm?" Hermione said.

"You just walked past your apartment house," Harry was saying to her. Hermione turned around to see Harry standing in front of her apartment house. She had walked a good 100 feet away from it. She scurried quickly back to him and smiled.

"Sorry 'bout that," Hermione said.

"No problem," Harry said. "Well, let's go on upstairs."

"Yes, of course," Hermione said, opening the door and walking in, followed by Harry. They climbed the stairs, again in silence.

When they reached the top of her stairs, Hermione fumbled for her purse to find her keys.

Harry grabbed her hand, "Hermione."

"Yeah," she said, dropping her purse.

"Hermione," came another voice from the stairwell. Both Hermione and Harry looked down to see Ron smiling up at the two of them. "Harry?"

"Ron?" Hermione asked.

"Well, now that we've established who everyone is," Ron said, walking quickly up the stairs.

"Harry, what the bloody hell are you doing here?" Ron asked.

Hermione and Harry just stared at him.

"What are you doing here, Ron?" Hermione asked.

"Well, I just got home. The last game got rained out. So, I came straight here. And I am glad I did. Harry, it's so great to see you, mate," Ron said, grabbing his friend in a bear hug.

"It's, um, great to see you, too," Harry said, grinning back at Ron.

"Hermione! Why didn't you tell me he was back? When did you get back?" Ron asked, looking at her. "And why haven't you given me a hug, too. We are getting married after all."

Hermione smiled at him, half-heartedly. "Well, of course we are. Come here, you prat."

Ron enveloped her in a big hug and kissed her on the forehead. "I missed you," he said.

"Me, too," Hermione said. "Well, we better get inside."

"Yes, well you still haven't told me what you're doing here, Harry," Ron said, as Hermione picked up her purse and pulled out her keys to open the door.

"Well, it's a long story," Harry said.

"Well, I'd like to hear it," Ron said. "Look at this. The Three Musketeers back together again. Who would have thought it?"

Hermione held open the door for Harry and Ron and ushered them both inside. Ron turned to her before going inside, "This is great isn't it, love?"

"Yeah, it sure is," Hermione said. Ron smiled at her and walked into the living room and began talking animatedly with Harry. Hermione watched the two of them. She didn't know whether to laugh or cry.