Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Along by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Along

Amynoelle

Authors note: I hope ya'll like this chapter. A certain pair of names make a cameo appearance in here…hope you like that touch as well. This chapter is a lot longer than previous ones and I think you will see why, and hopefully like why…enjoy! Read and review, please!

Chapter 16

Two of Hearts

The next couple of days were spent enjoying the sounds, sights and weather of The Big Island on Hawaii. They had kissed again, three more times to be exact, but it hadn't gone beyond that. At the end of each night, they'd each reluctantly retreated to their separate bedrooms.

The first day had been spent snorkeling and enjoying the beach. The second day, they'd gone the "educational route" as Harry had jokingly referred to it. They had began the day early, starting off with a visit to the Waikiki Aquarium and then headed off to the Lyon Arboretum where Hermione had said more than once that Professor Sprout, their old Herbology professor, would have loved to see in person. They closed out that second day with a visit to Pearl Harbor and the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial.

On that third day, they'd decided to take it easy on the beach where they'd swam and laid out in the sun. Harry had tried, but failed to convince Hermione to join him in the water again.

"No," Hermione had said. "I'm going to sit here and just enjoy the sun and work on my tan."

"Come on," Harry said, pulling at her arm. "I promise I won't throw you in again."

"Yeah, that's what you promised earlier, and despite my screams, you did so anyway, so if you want to go in the water, I won't stop you, but I'm going to just lie here and veg out," Hermione said. "And that's final. Now off with you to the water."

"Spoiled sport," Harry said, and ran off to the water. Hermione laughed as she watched him. She couldn't ever remember being so happy. That wasn't right. She could remember. The last time had been with Harry. She never wanted this feeling or this time to end. She knew, however, that they couldn't stay here forever. They would eventually have to face the music and return home. Although she was having a wonderful time, a part of her couldn't shake the thought of Ron. Although he was a thousand miles away, he was still here. He was between she and Harry. Ron was the reason she and Harry hadn't done anything beyond kissing since they'd arrived in Hawaii. He was the reason, they'd slept in separate bedrooms.

It had been very hard to stay away from Harry like that when the most natural thing in the world would be to go to him. She wanted nothing more than to be close to him like that again. She could tell that he wanted that, too. He hadn't said it, but she could tell. When you'd known someone as long as she'd known Harry, you didn't always need to say something to get your point across.

It kind of reminded her of a song she'd always liked by Alison Krauss, "When You Say Nothing at All." Hermione reached into her beach bag and pulled out the Walkman she'd brought along. She put the headphones on and pressed play as the familiar notes of the song began to play. As she listened to the song, she recalled the number of times, she and Harry had been able to communicate with each other without saying a word. So much could be said in a look, in a touch, with a smile.

She'd never had that kind of connection with another person, not even with her parents. She didn't know if she could ever explain it to anyone else or even to herself, but that's what it was---a connection. A connection that had survived and strengthened despite the years apart and despite the different people and experiences that had come into and out of their lives.

Hermione hadn't wanted to admit it to herself, mostly out of guilt. She loved him. She loved him as she had never loved anyone else in her life. Loving him was natural, like breathing. It wasn't something she had thought about or wondered about, she just knew it. She always had, she guessed. She remembered that time when she'd first stumbled upon he and Ron on the train to Hogwarts their first year. She'd been utterly fascinated by this boy that she'd spent that summer reading about.

She thought back to that girl that she used to be. So ready to prove to herself and to anyone else that she was the best; that she was the smartest. Until she'd met Harry and Ron, she hadn't given much thought to friendship and all the things that went along with it. Truth be told, she'd never really had friends before the two of them. She loved them both, but in such a contrasting and different way.

She didn't have much time to think back any more on that or anything else, as the song on the CD came to an end. Hermione sat up on her beach towel and took the headset off.

"Good timing," she whispered to herself as she saw Harry running up to her from the water. "You weren't sleeping, were you?" he asked, taking the towel she handed him.

"No," she said. "Just lying here, thinking and listening to music."

"Anything good?" he asked, taking a seat.

"Yeah," she said, smiling. "Well, did you enjoy your swim?"

"Yeah, but not as much as I would have if you'd come with me," he said. "So what's on tap for tonight?"
"Um, I heard that the hotel's throwing a luau," Hermione said.

"A what?" Harry asked.

"You know a luau," Hermione said. "A traditional Hawaiian luau. We have got to go, Harry. If we went back home and told everyone we'd been to Hawaii and not gone to a luau, well it'd be like going to Paris and not going to see the Eiffel Tower. As tourists, it is our duty to go to a luau."

"Okay," he said. "Well, we better go get cleaned up if we're going to make this luau."

"Okay," she said, she began to pack her towel and Walkman in her beach bag, but stopped when she noticed Harry was just sitting there staring at her.

"What?" she asked. "What are you grinning at?"

"Nothing," he said, standing up. He still wore that goofy grin and for the life of her Hermione had no idea why.

"Harry, you prat," she said. "What is it?"

"I forgot something," he said.

"What?" she asked, watching as he began to walk around her. "What is it? Do I have sand on my face? A jellyfish on my leg? What?"

To her shock he picked her up and placed her over his shoulder and began to carry her toward the ocean.

"Harry James Potter, you put me down, right NOW!" she screamed, laughing at him. "I'm not kidding."

Harry continued to carry her toward the ocean. "If you're not kidding, why are you laughing?"

"You are so lucky that my wand is in my beach bag or else you'd be in so much trouble," Hermione said, hitting him playfully on the back.

"A good wizard always knows when to fight his battles," Harry said. "Come now, Miss Granger to the water."

"You are so going to pay for this," Hermione said, giggling as they reached the water.

When they finally made it back to the hotel earlier that evening, they'd both retreated to their bedrooms to shower and get ready for the luau. Like most men, it didn't take Harry long to shower and change into a pair of khaki shorts and a denim button-down shirt. He went into the living room of the suite to wait on Hermione.

He took a seat on the couch and thumbed through one of the magazines on the coffee table. He looked down at his watch. The luau was set t begin at 7 p.m. It was already 6:45. He knew Hermione hated to be late for anything. He couldn't understand what the hold up was. Getting up from the couch, he walked over to her bedroom door and knocked softly.

"Yes," came the muffled sound of Hermione's voice from the other side of the door.

"You okay in there?" Harry asked.

"Yes, why?" Hermione said.

"You just seem to be taking a little longer than you usually do to get ready, that's all," Harry said.

"I just need a few more minutes," Hermione called from her room. "Why don't you watch something on the telly until I get ready."
"Or I could help you, you know zip something up or hook the clasp on a necklace?" Harry offered, smiling at the door.

"No thanks," Hermione said. "I think I've got it."

Harry frowned and took one last look at the door before turning to walk back to the couch.

"Nice try, though," Hermione said from behind the door. Harry smiled and laughed as he turned the television on and waited for Hermione.

Ten minutes later, she came out her room and Harry knew it'd been worth the wait. She looked beautiful. No, beautiful didn't do her justice. She had put on a blue sundress that went quite nicely with her now tanned skin. She'd put her hair up in a loose chignon and tiny tendrils framed her face. She wasn't making this easy on him, not at all, but he didn't mind.

"What is it?" she said, smiling at him. "Do I look okay?"

"You, um," he began, staring at her. "You look, wow. Just wow."

He smiled broadly at her. She could feel her cheeks go pink. "You look pretty wow yourself," she said smiling at him. "Well, you ready to go?"

"Yeah," he said, still gazing dreamily at her. "You-wow."

"You said that already," she said, grabbing her purse.
"I know," Harry said, opening the door for her. "It just needed to be repeated, that's all."

They arrived at the luau only a couple of minutes late. As they mingled with the other hotel guests waiting for the luau to truly begin, Hermione explained to Harry what to expect from the traditional Hawaiian luau. She had read in the guidebook about them. Harry had teased her that the guidebook was quickly becoming her favorite book, right behind, of course, Hogwarts: A History.

A Hawaiian band was playing island music and a group of hula dancers were dancing as the guests looked on. The sun was just beginning to set and the sky was a mixture of pinks, yellows, oranges and purples. It looked like something out a painting Harry thought as he and Hermione made their way through the crowd, looking for an empty table. A young Polynesian woman, dressed in a bikini top and grass skirt, stopped them and presented them each with a flower lei. She placed them around their necks with a quick "Aloha" and a smile at them both.

Hermione scanned the crowd of tables and finally spotted one with two empty seats. "Come on, Harry. There's a couple of empty seats over there." Taking Harry's hand, she led him the direction of the table. As soon as they sat down a waiter approached them for their drink order. Hermione adventurously ordered a Mai Tai, but Harry went the traditional, conservative route and ordered a beer.

They sat back in their chairs to watch as a few brave guests took the stage to dance along with the hula dancers. Hermione playfully nudged Harry on his arm and motioned toward the stage.

"I know that you don't think I'm going to get up there and do that?" Harry asked her, incredulously.

"Aw, come on," Hermione said, laughing. "I could sell the pictures as an exclusive to The Daily Prophet. I could see the headline now, 'Harry Potter Hulas'."

"I don't think so," Harry said, shaking his head vehemently. "Now if you wanted to get up there in a coconut shell bra and a grass skirt, I wouldn't have a problem with that."

"Oh, no," Hermione said. "Besides, I think you'd look better in the grass skirt and coconut shell bra. Look at those guys up there, they're doing it."

"Yeah, I think they'd have a little too much to drink, too," Harry said, laughing at her. "Give it up, Mione, it's not going to happen. There isn't enough alcohol in the free world to make that happen."

Hermione gave him a disappointed look. "Now, who's being the spoiled sport, huh?"

Harry took a moment to look around at their tablemates. There was a trio of older women in their late fifties, Harry guessed. They were discussing the food and one of the ladies was debating whether or not to indulge in a second glass of wine. To the right of Hermione sat a young couple, which looked to be in their early twenties. The woman was willowy with light, shoulder-length brown hair. She was holding hands with a man who had brown eyes and short, dark brown hair. Harry noticed that the two of them were sporting wedding bands and by the way they were acting, he assumed they were newlyweds.

He laughed to himself at how analytical he'd become in the past few years. Trick of the trade, he thought. In his training as an Auror, he'd been taught to immediately get a handle on all situations by looking at the big picture and learn the territory and the people. He reminded himself that while he was here to protect Hermione, he wasn't officially on a case. He was here to relax and be with the woman he loved. Nights like these didn't come around too often in life and he was going to enjoy the night and all it had to offer.

The young couple had engaged Hermione in conversation almost immediately. Harry refocused his attention on their conversation. Hermione smiled at him as she warmly introduced herself and Harry to the couple.

"I'm Hermione and this is my-," she began.

"Harry," Harry finished. "I'm her Harry."

Hermione smiled sheepishly at him.

"Nice to meet you both," the young woman was saying. "I'm Emma and this is my husband, Dan. Husband. Gosh, I'm still getting used to saying that."

"So you're newlyweds, then?" Hermione asked. Emma held up her hand to show Hermione her ring.

"Congratulations," Hermione said.

"How about you?" Dan asked. "On your honeymoon, as well?"

Hermione shook her head, "No, just on vacation."

"Where are you guys from?" Harry asked.

"Michigan, actually," Emma said. "We just arrived yesterday. We didn't really want to leave the hotel room, but Dan insisted."

"Hey, a man has to eat," Dan said, with a smile. "Am I right, Harry?"

"Can't argue with that," Harry said, taking a sip of his beer.

"I think he just wanted to get out and see some hot Hawaiian girls dance the hula," Emma said. "You know what I mean, Hermione?"

Hermione laughed good-naturedly and artfully dodged questions from Dan and Emma about what line of work she and Harry were in. Hermione told them she was a chemist at a small university in London. Harry told them he was in law enforcement. Not exactly a lie, but certainly not the truth. They couldn't very well tell these nice people that they were a witch and wizard, now could they? They'd both probably be carted off to the nearest Hawaiian insane asylum, Harry mused to himself.

They spent the next hour watching the entertainment and eating food. In addition to the roast pig, they were served poi, rice, and vegetables and fruits of all shapes and sizes. During the meal, Harry and Dan engaged in discussions of the merits of sport in both England and the United States. Dan couldn't get over how Londoners and most Europeans called soccer "football", while Hermione and Emma discussed books and movies.

After they'd eaten until they couldn't eat anymore, Hermione suggested a walk along the beach. After saying a polite goodbye to Dan and Emma, who were heading back to their hotel room to do what newlyweds do, Harry and Hermione set off for the beach.

Hermione took off her shoes and carried them in one hand. She took Harry's hand in the other and they began their walk. They walked in silence listening to the competing sounds of the waves crashing onto the shore and the lingering sounds of the music and crowds from the luau.

When the sun had gone down, the temperature had dropped a little. The wind was also stronger near the beach and Harry wasn't surprised to see Hermione shivering a little. He chivalrously offered her his shirt. She refused at first, but he assured her he'd be fine in his t-shirt. She finally relented and gratefully accepted the shirt. He placed it gingerly over her shoulders. They continued to walk down the beach.

As they walked, Harry reached into his shorts pocket with his free hand to find the box he'd put in there earlier. "Can we stop for a second, then?" he asked her, releasing his hand from hers.

"Sure," she said. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's perfect, actually. I just wanted to give you something."

He reached into his pocket and pulled the small box out. He looked down at it and then shyly looked up at her.

"What is it?" she asked, as he gave her the box.

"Open it and find out," Harry said, smiling nervously at her. "Go ahead."

"Okay," she said. She gingerly opened the box and gasped at what she saw inside. It was a sterling silver heart-shaped antique locket. Hermione picked it up and ran her fingers over it. "It's exquisite, Harry."

"It was my mum's," he said, smiling at her. "Sirius found it in a trunk he had of theirs. She'd told him that when I grew up she was going to give it to me to give to the girl that I loved. Hermione, from the moment I saw that locket, there was no doubt in my mind who I would give it to."

"Oh, Harry," Hermione said, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Look inside," Harry said.

Wiping away a tear, Hermione cupped the locket in her hand and unhooked the clasp. Inside the locket were two small pictures. On one side, there was a picture of an 11-year old Harry and on the other side, an 11-year old Hermione.

"Harry," she said. "This is the most amazing gift that anyone has ever given me. Will you help me put it on?"

"Of course," he said. He took the locket from her and she turned as he put it around her neck and hooked the clasp. She turned back around to face him and looked down at the locket.

"Well, how's it look?" she asked.

"Beautiful," he said.

"And I'm not just talking about the necklace," he said. "It's you. You are beautiful," he said, taking a hand to her face to wipe a tear from her cheek. "I love you, Hermione."

She didn't want to talk anymore or think. There was no planning, now; no reason and no doubt. She threw herself against him and his arms engulfed her.

"I love you, too," she breathed. The next thing either of them knew, they were kissing. Harry was kissing her hair, her forehead, her cheek, her mouth, and her neck. She kissed him back just as fiercely and clinging tightly to him as if any moment someone might come and pry them apart.

They pulled back when they heard a roll of laughter from a couple a few yards away.

"Harry," Hermione said breathlessly.

"Yeah," he said, fervently. He still held her in his arms and their faces were just inches apart.

"I think we should go back to the hotel," she said.

"Oh," he said, releasing her. "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable. I hope that I didn't."

Hermione smiled up at him. "You didn't. I just think we should go back that's all."

"Sure," he said, regretting what he'd just done. He'd made her uncomfortable. He'd pushed her too hard and he may have just blown any chance he'd had with her.

The walk back to the hotel was like agony for Harry. They didn't speak and they didn't hold hands. They didn't really do much of anything.

They entered the suite and Harry watched dejectedly as Hermione quickly went into her bedroom and closed the door, without a word. He stood there looking at her closed door for a few moments before finally heading for his own bedroom.

He sat down on his bed and began to take off his shoes. He took off his glasses and placed them on the bedside table. He heard a soft knock at the door.

"Come in," he said.

She was still dressed in her sundress and her eyes were red from crying. She had taken her hair down.

"Hi," she whispered.

"Hi," he said. "I'm sorry, Hermione."

"Harry, you don't have to apologize," she said. "What happened on the beach scared me a little bit."

"Why did it scare you?" he said.

"I couldn't think. I couldn't speak. I just knew that I wanted you. I want you, Harry," she said.

He stood up and walked over to her. He reached out his hand. She slowly extended hers, too. The tips of their fingers touched. "I want you, too, Hermione."

There was nothing more to say. Hermione stepped in and rested her forehead on Harry's chest. She took a long, deep breath and smoothed her cheek along the soft cotton of his t-shirt. He gently wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her hair. They stood like that for a moment and it seemed as if all sound, all color and all sense was gone. It was just the two of them in that room. This was their moment.

They finally kissed, softly at first and then more passionately. Hermione helped Harry take his shirt off and he watched as she slowly unbuttoned her sundress. He watched it fall to the ground and she stood there, nervously, in just a short slip. He took her hand and led her to the bed.

"No turning back now," he said, smiling at her.

"No turning back," she said. He leaned her back onto the bed and they kissed again.

"Promise me one thing," she said, beaming up at him.

"Anything," he said.

"Promise me that when I wake up tomorrow morning, you'll be there," she said, softly.

He softly caressed her cheek. "I'm never going to leave you again."

A thousand miles away in London, a young wizard made his way to his master's office. He knocked softly on the door and waited for his master to let him inside. His master was weak, but getting stronger everyday. It was only a matter of time before things were the way they were always meant to be. And he had news; news that his master had been waiting for. News that would no doubt cement the young wizard's place as more than a mere apprentice. This would prove he would be a viable, important member of his staff.

He waited until he heard the muffled sound of his master urging him to come inside the office. He opened the door and tried to contain his excitement. This was it. This was his chance.

"I have news, master," the wizard said. "I know where they are."

"Where who is?" the master said back angrily. "I don't have time for your games anymore."

"I know where Potter and Granger are," the wizard said. "I've found them."

"Where?" the master said, intrigued. "Where have you found them?"

"Hawaii, sir," the student said. "On the island of Honolulu."

"Ah," the master said. "A scandal. Potter and Granger together. This is good news, boy. You've done quite well. There will be a reward for this. You can count on that."

"What should we do?" the student asked. "When shall we leave."

"All in good time, my boy," the master said. "We might not have to go that far. We could lead them back here."

"You know someone down at The Daily Prophet, don't you," the master continued. "Leak this story about Potter and Granger down in Paradise doing Merlin knows what, while the third member of their little Dream Team sits here in jolly old London without a semblance of a clue. They'll be back here faster than you can say scandal to clean up the big, delicious mess they made."

"Yes, sir," the student said. "I'll get right on that."

The master watched as his student walked away. He had never held much credence to the quote that "Revenge was a better dish served cold." He'd always believed in striking back quickly and fiercely. But this was going to be worth it. Vengeance would soon be his.

"Enjoy your little island paradise now, Potter," the master said coldly. "It'll soon be over."