Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Along by Amynoelle
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Along

Amynoelle

Normal 2 126 2003-07-16T02:08:00Z 2003-07-16T02:08:00Z 1 2618 14923 124 35 17506 10.2625 Clean Clean MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Authors Note:
I couldn't leave you guys hanging! I knew I couldn't end it without doing something with the birth of the baby. I hope you guys like this! This is truly the end of this particular story. I have been so touched by the nice reviews you guys have left! You guys totally rock! I never imagined when I began writing this what an experience it would be for me. Thanks to everyone! Enjoy….

Epilogue

What a difference a year makes, Harry couldn't help thinking as he paced back and forth between the couches in the waiting room at St. Mungo's in the labor and delivery ward.

A year ago, he wouldn't have been here. A year ago, he was in Australia making a huge bust on a major case. He was out traveling doing what he'd felt he'd been born to do, what he felt he was obligated to do. He'd been living up to that name that had given him unwanted fame, The Boy Who Lived.

He didn't need to be that anymore. It would always be a part of him, yes, but it wasn't something that he felt that he had to live up to anymore. There were more important things. His life had new meaning now. He had a beautiful wife whom he loved and who loved him back. He had a life. He had a home. Within a few hours, he would have a child. In just a few months, he would begin his job as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

Even his and Hermione's relationship with Ron was improving. While it was nowhere near the way it had used to be, it was much better than it had been. No doubt this was helping along by Ron falling head over heels for Luna Lovegood.

Things were definitely looking up all around. Now, if only he knew what was going on behind those double doors, he'd be ecstatic.

He'd spent the past two hours, pacing back and forth between the couches, waiting and watching the clock. It seemed like they'd been there for days and not a few short hours.

The waiting room was empty, save for Harry, Sirius and Hermione's dad, Robert. Sirius and Robert were the picture of calm, cool, and collected. Sirius was thumbing through a magazine and Robert was reading a book. Looking at them, Harry wondered how they could be so calm at a time like this. Harry was a different story all together. You name the emotion---he'd experienced all in the past three hours. He'd tried sitting, but he was so jumpy that didn't last too long.

Stealing a glance at the clock on the wall, Harry noticed that it was just past two in the morning. He and Hermione had been fast asleep when Hermione had awoken suddenly in the sometime before midnight and gone into the bathroom, where her water promptly broke. She awoke a startled Harry, who promptly jumped out of bed and stubbed his toe on the bedside table.

After cursing loudly, he threw on a jumper and a pair of trainers and then helped Hermione slip into her robe and slippers. He grabbed the pre-packed suitcase that they'd packed for this occasion and took off for the living room. He was just getting ready to apparate to St. Mungo's when it dawned on him that he was missing something. He was fixing to take his pregnant wife to the hospital and he was missing the most important thing---his pregnant wife.

"Bollocks," he said, rushing back into the bedroom to fetch Hermione. Although she was in some discomfort, she couldn't help laughing at her husband and the nervous wreck he'd become in the past 10 minutes.

"Take a deep breath, Harry," she said, between giggles. "Relax."

"Okay, okay," Harry said, exhaling. "I should be the one telling you that, not the other way around."

"Well, at least we'll have a funny story to tell our child when he or she asks about the night they were born," Hermione said. "Now, let's get going. I'm ready for this baby to come out."

Harry made a quick phone call to Hermione's parents and sent emergency owl post to the Weasleys and to Sirius.

They arrived at the hospital via apparition shortly after 12:30 and Hermione was promptly checked in and led back to the delivery ward on a wheelchair. The attendant said that Harry should take a seat and when he was needed, they would come and get him.

Hermione's parents arrived first and her mum went back to sit with her daughter. Sirius arrived soon after.

So, now here they were, three men awaiting any news.

"Harry, for the love of Merlin," Sirius said, exasperated. "Sit down or at least stop pacing. You're making me nervous."

"I'm making you nervous," Harry said sarcastically. "Don't mind me, Sirius. My wife is back there having a baby and I'm out here, waiting, twiddling my thumbs. I can't do anything for her and it's killing me, not knowing what's going on. So, pardon me, Sirius, if I'm making you nervous."

Sirius smiled at him. "No problem, mate."

Harry glared back at him.

Robert laughed at his son-in-law.

"This isn't funny," Harry said glowering at Robert.

"Trust me, Harry," Robert began, "you don't want to go back there any sooner than you have to. I remember when Karen was in labor with Hermione. She called me every name in the book. She threatened to kill me if I ever came near her again. Said that it was all my fault that she was in all that pain. So, unless you enjoy that type of abuse, trust me when I say, you don't want to be back there right now."

"Surely it can't be that bad. Can it?" Harry asked.

Robert shook his head. "No, you're right. It's not that bad."

Harry exhaled. "Good."
"It's much worse," Robert said.

Sirius stifled his own laughter at the last comment. He knew that laughter might set his godson off again.

At that moment, a loud pop filled the room as Arthur and Molly Weasley appared. Mr. Weasley was still in his pajamas and an overcoat. Molly was in her nightgown and robe and coat and had pink curlers in her hair.

"We didn't miss anything, did we?" Molly asked.

"No, at least I don't think so," Harry said, giving her a hug and then shaking Arthur's hand. "We haven't heard anything yet."

"Good," Molly said. "This is so exciting, Harry. You're going to be a dad!"

"Yeah," Harry said, and for the first time in the past two hours, he allowed himself to smile.

Thirty minutes later, a nurse came through the double doors of the maternity ward.

"Mr. Potter?" she asked.

"Yes? My wife, how is she?" Harry asked, standing up from his chair.

"She's okay," the nurse said. "They're ready for you to come on back now. She's been asking for you."

Sirius walked over to Harry as did Molly, Robert and Arthur.

"Tell her that we're out here and we're thinking of her and the baby," Molly said.

"I will," Harry said. "It means a lot to us both that you're here."

Molly smiled. "I wouldn't miss it. You and Hermione are like my own children, you know that. You always have been, no matter what."

Harry hugged Molly tightly.

"Thank you," he whispered in her ear.

He let Molly go and smiled nervously at the others. "Next time, I see you, I'll be telling you good news."

"Too right you will," Sirius said, brightly. "Now get out of here and go see your wife."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, and he followed the nurse through the double doors and down a long hallway. She stopped at a set of doors and swung the door open and Harry stood at the doorway.

Hermione was lying on her hospital bed. She looked and no doubt felt exhausted. Her cheeks were flushed and red and she was sweating. Her mother, Karen, was wiping her forehead with a cold, wet cloth. Hermione wore a pained expression. Karen noticed Harry first.

"There he is," she said, smiling at him. "The proud father-to-be in the flesh. Come on in, Harry."

Harry gave his wife a reassuring smile and she tried to return the smile, but at that moment another contraction interrupted her attempt at a smile.

"OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" she exclaimed, clamping hard on her mother's arm.

Harry rushed to her other side and took her hand.

"Are you okay?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"Just peachy," Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

"Sorry, stupid question," Harry said sheepishly.

"I'm sorry, Harry," Hermione said. "I shouldn't get upset with you. This is a new experience for both of us. I should try and remember that. It's just a little hard when this excruciating pain goes through my entire body."

Harry laughed. He leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"Mum," Hermione said, turning to face her mother. "Why don't you take a break and see Daddy and let him know how I'm doing. I know you need the break."

"Are you sure, sweetheart?" Karen asked.

"Positive," Hermione said. "Harry's here now."

"Okay," Karen said. "I could do with a cup of coffee. I'll be back soon, okay?"
Hermione nodded and watched as her mother left the room.

"Have they given you anything for the pain?" Harry asked.

"They gave me a little something, but they couldn't risk anything too strong, they don't want to compromise the health of the baby," Hermione said. "Sometimes, I wish we'd done this at a Muggle hospital. There's this thing called an epidural that I'd kill for right about now."

All of a sudden Hermione's grip on Harry's hand tightened considerably and he looked up to see a look of pain and discomfort come over her face.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" she exclaimed.

"Hermione," Harry said, feeling as if the bones in his hand were about ready to break. "Sweetheart, my hand…bones breaking…hello, Hermione?"

She finally let go of his hand when the contraction passed.

"Sorry," she whispered. "That was a really bad one."

"It's okay," Harry said, shaking his hand. "You've got quite a strong grip there."

Six hours later….

Hermione still hadn't given birth, yet, and her contractions were coming closer together and becoming more painful. Harry's hands were numb from where she'd gripped tightly on them.

They'd decided they didn't want to know the sex of the baby ahead of time. At the moment, Hermione didn't really care one way or the other if it was a boy or a girl. All she cared about or knew at that very moment was that she was ready for this baby to get out.

She tried to smile as the mediwizard in charge of delivery, Tally Thompson, came into the room.

"I hear we're ready for that baby to come on out," Tally said. "So, let's not hold it up any longer. You ready?"

"Yes," Hermione said. "More than you could ever know."

"Okay, then," Tally said, taking a seat at the edge of the bed. "Let's get to it then."

"Okay, Hermione," Tally said. "I want you to give me a good push."

Hermione did so. She grabbed hold of Harry by the collar and pulled him closer to her.

"Harry," she said. "We are never going to have sex again, okay? Never, ever again."

Harry laughed.

"I'm serious," she said, forcefully. She finally let go of his collar and Harry sat back down on the chair beside the bed.

Tally looked up and laughed. "We'll talk about that later, Mr. and Mrs. Potter. Right now, I need you to push once more, Hermione."

Again, Hermione did as she was told.

"Good, good," Tally said. "I can see the baby's head. You're doing good, sweetie. Can you give me one more good push?"

"I c-c-can't do it," Hermione said, her voice trembling. "I don't think I can."

"Yes, you can," Harry said. "You're nearly there, Hermione. Just one more push."

Hermione scowled. "Well if you think it's so easy, Harry, why don't you do it?"

"I'm just trying to help," Harry said, defensively.

"Well, don't," Hermione said, "you are doing the opposite of helping."

Tally looked up at the two of them. "If you two don't mind, this baby would really like to come out, so if you'd quit arguing for one second and give me one more push, that would be brilliant, okay?"

"Oh, all right!" Hermione exclaimed, pushing with every last ounce of energy she had left.

Within seconds, a baby's cry filled the room. Hermione looked expectantly at Tally, who held the baby up and exclaimed, "Well, look at that! You two have a beautiful, healthy baby girl!"

"A girl!" Hermione exclaimed. "We have a little girl, Harry!"

"We sure do," Harry said. "Well done, Hermione! Well, done! Listen to her! Music to my ears!"

The baby continued to cry as one of the nurses took her to the side to clean her up and wrap her in a blanket.

Tally smiled. "Just remember that when she's waking you up at three o'clock in the morning. Then, we'll talk about music to your ears!"

Both Hermione and Harry laughed. Hermione relaxed and lay back all the way on the bed. She was exhausted and wanted to get some sleep, but more than anything she wanted to hold her daughter in her arms.

The nurse brought the blanket-clad baby over to them and placed her gingerly in Hermione's waiting arms.

"How can you love someone so much that you just met?" Hermione asked, smiling broadly at her baby girl.

"I was just thinking the same thing," Harry said, leaning in and kissing his daughter on her forehead. "She's so tiny."

"Would you like to hold her?" Hermione asked, handing him the baby.

Harry held his little girl in his arms and never remembered in all his life ever being this content and peaceful. This felt right. This felt like a little slice of heaven on earth.

"Hey, I'm outnumbered in our little family, here," Harry said. "Two girls against me. We're going to have to give her a little brother, soon."

Hermione glared at him. "I'll get back to you on that."

Tally smiled at the three of them. "Well, I hate to break up this scene, but we're going to need to take the baby just for a little while, make sure she's okay and let the little mother here get some rest. You, too, Harry."

A nurse came over and reluctantly took the baby away from her parents. "I love you," he said.

"I love you," she repeated.

****

The next day, Hermione and Harry were visiting the baby in the nursery when one of the mediwizards came toward them about the birth certificate.

"We need to know if you've chosen a name," she said expectantly.

Harry looked at Hermione. They had thrown around a number of names in the past few weeks, but nothing concrete had been decided.

"I have a suggestion," Hermione said. "Feel free to veto if you like, but I've been thinking about this for awhile and I kinda have an idea."

"Okay," Harry said. "As long as it's not Delores or Rita or anything like that."

"Oh good heavens, no," Hermione said, laughing. "Actually, I was thinking of Lily Caroline Potter. Lily, of course, in honor of your mother, and Caroline, because I've always liked that name. What do you think?"

Harry kissed her softly. "I love it."

Hermione smiled gleefully. "You do?"

"Yes," Harry said. "I really do. I think it's brilliant altogether, but let's ask her what she thinks, huh?"

He took the baby from the nurse and smiled at her, "So, my little sweetheart, what do you think of the name Lily Caroline Potter?"

The baby just stared at him blankly. "I'll take your non-answer as a

'yes'."

Hermione snickered. "Lily Caroline, your father is a certifiable goofball."

"Don't listen to her," Harry said, laughing. "So, what about the other thing we talked about? Do you think he'll do it?"

Hermione looked thoughtful. "I hope so. There's one way to find out."

A couple of hours later, Hermione was packing up her bag and getting ready to be discharged from the hospital. Harry was busily loading the flowers, cards and balloons she'd received onto a trolley cart.

A knock on the door startled both of them and they turned to find Ron smiling at them.

"You making a break for it, Hermione?" Ron asked.

Hermione grinned. "Yeah, they're letting me out for good behavior."

"Well, I just saw the baby outside with your mum, Hermione, and all I have to say is, it's a good thing she seems to have gotten all her looks from you."

"Hey!" Harry said. "I am right here, you know."

"Oh, Harry," Ron said cheekily. "I didn't see you over there."

"So, how was the road trip?" Hermione asked.

"Great. We won two out of three. I would have been here sooner, but that dictator coach of mine wouldn't hear of it. I wish I could have been here to see it."

"No, you don't," Hermione said. "It wasn't exactly my finest moment."

"I still have the battle scars to show for it," Harry said, showing Ron his hands that still bore bruises and scratches.

"I told you she was mental the first day we met her, didn't I?" Ron said.

Hermione threw a towel at him.

"Well, we're glad to see you, Ron," Harry said. "Because we have something important to ask you."

"Okay, shoot," Ron said, taking a seat on the hospital bed.

"Well, we've already asked Ginny and she's agreed to be the godmother and we were hoping that if you wouldn't mind, we'd be honored for you to be our baby's godfather," Harry said.

Hermione wrapped an arm around Harry. "We'd understand if you didn't want to, Ron, but please understand that we couldn't think of a finer person to entrust our baby to than you should anything ever happen to either of us."

Ron looked at both of them, amazed. He didn't know what to say.

"Ron?" Harry asked.

"I, uh," Ron stuttered. "I can't believe that you'd want me, I mean-"

"We do," Harry interrupted. "You were our first and only choice for this. You'd really be helping us out if you'd say yes."

"I'd be honored," Ron said.

"You would?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, I accept," Ron said, breaking into a smile.

Hermione squealed happily and threw her arms around Ron. Harry joined in and for the longest time, they stood there in a group hug.

This was definitely the way things were meant to be.