Unofficial Portkey Archive

A FLAME IN THE DARK by Dearg-Due
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A FLAME IN THE DARK

Dearg-Due

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Hey! Finally done! Didn't I tell you? As promised, here I am, back with the second chapter of this so-far-tragic story, before Sunday. Yay!

First of all, I wanted to thank all those who reviewed. I didn't think my story would receive so much feedback... You guys kept me wanting to write more!

So here it is... behold Chapter II! Lol. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Harry Potter or any of JK Rowling's amazing characters. However the plot and the new characters are all mine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter II: THE WAY THINGS ARE...

"You!" Ginny uttered in amazement as she gazed at her family's sworn enemy, while her face suddenly turned into one of astonishment and confusion at the same time. "What the hell is he doing here?" Ginny wondered.

"Well it is very nice to see you too, Weasley..."

As much as she didn't want to, Ginny blushed upon listening to Draco's response, but she didn't look down and kept staring at him straight into his silvery eyes. Would he notice it? She hoped not.

"'You?' Is that all you have to say after all these years? `You'?' Why don't you come here and give me a proper hug, for old times sake", he added in an extremely arrogant tone, spreading his arms as if he were inviting her to hug him.

Why on Earth would he think she would EVER want to hug him? Especially after all the damage he caused to her family.

Ginny was stupefied, still facing realizations and not knowing exactly how to react. All she knew was that all of a sudden she was feeling really sick about the whole situation. Then she saw his eyes looking down on her, staring at her ugly, grey dress, and he put his hands back in his pockets.

"Then again, wouldn't it be a pity to stain this fine new suit, don't you think?"

He paused as he started walking towards her. Ginny's blood begun to boil with rage and she clenched her fists firmly, fighting the desire to hit that blasted hypocrite.

"It's Armani', from the muggle world; the only thing those good-for-nothing excuses of human flesh ever did well, I'm afraid..." he continued. "Of course you wouldn't know that, would you? Don't think those poor devils of brothers you had could ever even smell the exquisite fabric of one of these," he said as he smoothly slid his right hand over his left arm, admiring its texture. Ginny suddenly snapped out of it, her eyes widening.

"Don't you dare insult my family, you fucking bastard!" she hissed at him, fire flaming in her eyes, making him take back a couple of steps.

"Wow there! I see you didn't forget how to speak after all... Remarkable! Quite remarkable indeed! However, I believe there's no need for language, my dear," he said conceitedly, while he turned around to throw himself carelessly over a black, leather couch. "I hope that you have not forgotten your manners..."

"What would you know about manners, you disgusting prick!" Ginny spat at him with anger.

"Watch your mouth, Weasley," he replied angrily. "We're not in Hogwarts anymore and Potter is not here to save you," he threatened. "Where is he anyway? He must've died like a bloody coward, no doubt," Draco said smirking at the red-head who now felt like crying upon remembering her long, lost love.

Then, he deliberately pushed his coffee mug from the corner of his desk, making it fall over the smooth parquet surface and shatter into pieces with a loud shrilling noise.

"Oops..." he said innocently, covering his mouth with the tips of his right hand fingers and looking at her pitifully, raising his eyebrows.

"Don't play smart' with me Malfoy, I know who you are," Ginny replied between gritted teeth, while she picked up the pieces of broken ceramic.

"Oh, really? That's funny, I don't think I know you at all," Draco pointed out. "Especially in that lovely dress of yours..."

Ginny looked at her filthy clothes with embarrassment.

"It suits you, you know?" He added, and upon noticing the red-head frowning, he continued "No! Honest! Not all that different from those old, second-hand robes you used to wear for school, now that I think about it. What where they Weasley, from your great-grandmother or something?" he snorted roughly.

"My clothes are none of your business, you arrogant wanker," she replied standing up back again. "What the hell are you doing here anyway?"

"I believe this is my room, if I'm not mistaken," he said, looking around the room ironically. "Now you, on the other hand -"

"I mean in your room at this time, asshole!" she grumbled interrupting him, shifting her weight to her left side. "Shouldn't you be in classes?" she suggested.

"Don't you think that that is none of your business either?"

Draco had duplicated himself so that he wouldn't have to go to that potions class he hated so much, in order to avoid the annoying Mr. Blanchard and his constant nagging on him. He had carefully instructed his double to go to lessons, stay away from any trouble and return by midday, while he finished some other duties he had for school.

"Boy! It's so hard to find competent servants nowadays. All of them nosey thieves they are... Didn't your parents teach you anything, young lady?" he asked with contempt, strengthening Ginny's vexation.

"More than your parents could've ever taught you, I'm sure," she scolded at him with fury.

"My parents taught me everything there is to know in life, Weasel! I learned well, and for that reason today I'm one of the most powerful wizards in the entire world. I always had everything I wanted. Now tell me, what on Earth could your parents give you that mine didn't? A sheet of newspaper to cover yourself at night?" he said chuckling, while he walked towards the window. "Pathetic.."

"Maybe love..." Draco turned around to face her, piercing her with an icy look, his smirk suddenly disappearing. "At least my parents were there for me," she added proudly, with a very determined tone, noticing the effect of her words.

"Get out..." he muttered. Ginny furrowed her brow. "GET-OUT! you filthy piece of trash! Are you deaf!" he growled at her harshly.

"Whatever you say, Sir," Ginny said sarcastically, passing by him "Good day," she uttered with a slight bow, closing the door behind her.

"Who the hell does she think SHE is?" Draco thought angrily, walking restlessly from one side of his room to another, as the red-head left his place. "Lecturing me... that skanky bint!"

As much as he despised her for annoying him and making him feel helpless, he couldn't deny that the youngest Weasley had matured into a stunning woman all in all. Sure that awful dress didn't exactly accentuate her curves, but you could tell... You could definitely tell.

Draco hated himself for putting those thoughts into mind. At any rate, she was a Weasley through and through and those bloody maggots were not to be trusted.

"However..." an idea suddenly rushed through his mind. "Not a completely worthless maggot after all..." he thought smirking. "If I shall remain cloistered here until graduation... I might as well have a little fun, right?... Daddy' would've wanted me to, that's for sure," and he broke into an evil laugher at his own thoughts.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When Ginny returned to the kitchen, she must've had an odd look on her face because Vicky, upon noticing her, came closer to ask if everything was alright. The girl couldn't lie to her and thus, she told Vicky the whole story, without missing any details, while they cooked lunch that today was canard à l'orange.

"No way!" commented a very impressed Vicky, after listening to everything. "How could something like that happen? Do you know what would become of you if the minging frump over there found out that you were talking -".

"More like arguing, actually," Ginny remarked.

"Whatever! I mean, by Merlin, Ginny! Do you think he'll tell you off?" said Vicky with anguish and worry for her friend's situation.

"Nah... I wouldn't worry too much. I've got the feeling that the bloody git won't have the guts for it", replied Ginny with a grin. "Besides, what would be the point? He was probably bunking classes anyway, so by confessing everything, he would have to admit his own crime' too".

"True," Vicky agreed, raising her eyebrows in approval. Their conversation was suddenly interrupted by an outcry from the dining hall.

"What the hell is this!" inquired an infuriated Mrs. Draggery.

"It's...urm.. It's just concealer powder, madam," and upon recognizing Bekka's shaky voice, the girls hurried to see what was going on.

"Concealer powder, ey? How lovely! Isn't it?" she pointed out, mockingly to the rest of the girls. "THIS IS NO FUCKING BEAUTY PEAGANT, YOU SLUT! Will that be of any use in some way I don't know about? Do you honestly, bloody think that ANYONE could possibly admire that on you under the present circumstances? Or is it that you're a fucking dyke, is that it?"

Bekka shook her head, feeling really distressed about the whole situation.

"Will you refresh my memory, which must be very fragile, I suppose, and tell me if I ever said you were allowed to wear make-up!" she snarled at her.

"No -"she answered.

"Then do you suppose you CAN wear make-up?". Bekka shook her head, sadly. "I thought so too, but this shall not remain unpunished, hell no! Not while I'm in charge. FIIIILCH!" she yelled out.

"Yes ma'am," came a small man, with a dust-like skeletal cat around his neck, speaking firmly.

"Will you wash this brat's face and make sure she doesn't come back until it's as clean as the day she was born?" Mrs. Draggery instructed the old guardian with malice glowing in her squinty eyes, and upon gazing at the frightened girl she added harshly: "Or more".

"Certainly, ma'am, it will be my pleasure, I'm sure," he replied looking scornfully at the poor girl. "Come here, you disgusting vermin!" he added, taking the girl by the hair, while she screamed in pain. "I'll teach you!".

Ginny and Vicky stood stupefied, as the other girls who had gathered to see what was going on. Where was he taking her? They all felt really sorry for the girl. Ginny feared the day when it would be her turn to be taken away. She knew it would come, eventually. She could feel Mrs. Draggery's hatred ever since that first day when she obviously spotted Vicky and her chatting, and somehow she sensed that hideous woman's eyes studying her every move, waiting for her to make a mistake, so that she could finally unleash her rage against her.

"And you lot!" she shrieked at the rest of them, frightening the girls considerably, as she broke the silence. "What the hell are you staring at! Do I have monkeys on my face or what! Get back to work or I'll send you all to the dungeons with Mr. Filch!" and they quickly made their way back to their places.

At least now they knew where they had taken Bekka, not that it made the issue any less serious, of course. Maybe they didn't want to know it after all, for that was the same place where they were all going to end at some point or another.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

At last the work had been done. After dinner, having cleaned the enormous kitchen thoroughly, the girls returned to their respective rooms, feeling more than exhausted. When Ginny entered her room, she was startled by a languid figure over one of the bunk-beds. Recognizing who the figure was, she cried:

"Bekka!" and hugged her. The girl was contracted like a terrified animal and Ginny noticed she was crying. "Oh, Bekka your eyes are as red as a rabbit's! Poor thing... tell me, what happened to you? What did that bastard do to you?"

The girl sobbed and slowly turned her body around to face her friends. She had cuts and bruises all over her body and face.

"That horrible prick..." she begun in a pitiful tone. "When we got to the dungeons, he shaved my hair off with a rusty, old knife".

"He didn't! That son of a bitch!" exclaimed Vicky, staring sadly at the girl's head, where her beautiful ebony hair used to be.

"Then, he pushed my head into a bucket filled with freezing water... He rubbed my whole face with some cheap bleaching soap," she paused breaking into a sorrowful cry.

Ginny held her against her chest tenderly. Then Bekka parted to continue her tale, after sobbing.

"Next, he scrubbed my face roughly with what seemed to me like sandpaper. Merlin! My eyes had never stung so bad!" she said, stopping to rub her eyes. "Then he pushed me abruptly and told me to leave, without even allowing me to rinse my face first. It was horrible, Ginny! I had to come back stumbling all the way back to this room without seeing a blasted thing! And whenever I tried to open my eyes to see if I could tell anything apart, I felt as if a thousand needles punctured my eyes..."

"Oh Bekka, sweetie, I feel so sorry for you, friend... That wanker really deserves hell for what he did to you!" Ginny said, feeling like crying before such a saddening scene.

"That merciless bastard!" she yelled with rage in her hurt eyes, that kept dropping tears of pain and disdain, while the girls tried to comfort her by stroking her arm and caressing her shaved head. "I swear someday he will pay for all he did to me. Maybe I will never get to see well again!" she said, desperate.

"Don't say that, silly! It will pass and you will be alright soon again... Won't her, guys?" Vicky questioned the rest of the room-mates. They nodded in agreement. "See? You just need some rest, that's all. I bet tomorrow you will feel as good as new!"

"Yes, maybe you're right" Bekka agreed wiping her tears. Then she opened them again to stare at her friends' blurry faces of worry and concern and felt the need to hug them all. "Thank you, guys... I don't know if I would've ever made it through this without you".

They hugged her back benevolently and hurried back to bed, before Mrs. Draggery came in for the night-watch.

"Good night, Ginny" she heard Justine say.

"Good night," she replied, turning over the other side of her bed. Somehow, the red-head now felt glad that she had been assigned to serve at Morkdrage, and not any other school. She had never felt so close to any friends before, ever. It must've been fate, or maybe coincidence. Whatever it was, Ginny was more than thankful that it happened and that this special girls, each so different and at the same time so alike, were making her days much more endurable, one could almost say, happy...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The red-head swept the floor vigorously, remembering her first encounter with that arrogant prat. It was over that same floor that the dick-head had humiliated her so.

The thought made her rub harder. She couldn't believe she could be so unfortunate as to be assigned to the same place where that bloody bastard would be studying... Damn it! She would have to endure this torture for a good five years, at least... Then her eyes, which were fixed on that parquet floor, came across a pair of perfectly polished, black shoes and she jumped back in alarm, to discover those stainless shoes belonged to none other than the object of her torments.

"What are you doing here, again?" Ginny asked, as the blonde stepped towards her with a malicious smirk on his face, without saying anything. "I'm warning you, Malfoy... Stop messing with me or I'll -"

"You'll what... Exactly?" Draco interrupted, obliging her to step back as he kept walking, until he had her pinned against his desk.

Ginny felt weak on the knees and for some strange reason, she couldn't move or utter a single word. She just grasped the edge of the oak-tree table. Noticing this, Draco placed his arms around her waist and pushed her coarsely towards his fit body, leaving her face just a couple of inches away from his'. The sudden movement made Ginny moan.

"Admit it, Weasley! You want this as badly as I do, don't you?" he said upon becoming aware that the girl was giving in to his touch.

"Not even in your dreams, Malfoy! Now step back, you dolt! Leave me alone!" she urged him, trying to free herself from his grasp. But he was too strong and too determined to let her go as easy as that.

"I don't think so, Weaselette. Not without a sample of this," he said kissing her roughly on the lips. Ginny couldn't let go of him. In fact, she could hardly move, or even breathe, for that matter. She was already despairing when his right hand went to her dress's zipper and begun to skillfully pull it down.

"Stop it, you asshole! Stop it, leave me alone!" she screamed, feeling completely helpless.

"Ginny…" he whispered, "My Ginny!" he groaned, kissing her neck, urgently, yet almost professionally.

"Ginny!... Ginny! Wake up!" she heard Vicky between dreams.

Ginny sat-up abruptly on her bed with her heart pounding a thousand beats per second. She was as pale as a ghost.

"God! What happened, Ginny? I was so worried! You were screaming as if your life depended on it, girl!". Vicky looked really worried, so Ginny assumed it must've all been pretty disturbing. She was still gasping for air from the shock of her dream. "That bad, huh?"

"You have no idea..." Ginny replied, suddenly remembering the touch of Draco's hands around her waist, which send a cold shiver up her spine.

"A nightmare?" she inquired.

"A dreadful one".

"I see..."

Ginny was still absorbed in the images of the nightmare, which rushed through her head in a flash of a second.

"Aww, don't you worry my friend, I'm with you now," Vicky hugged her, rubbing her back. When Ginny embraced her back, tightly, Vicky whimpered.

"What is it?" asked Ginny with concern, spreading apart and furrowing her brow.

"It's nothing, don't worry! Just a little pain in the back," but Ginny looked very unsatisfied, not to mention sceptic, with her lousy explanation. "I fell from the bed and, you know how those things can cause you a hell of a back-ache, right?" she lied, but Ginny saw in her eyes that Vicky just didn't want to say any more, and decided to leave her alone.

The truth was that she had stolen a loaf of bread from the kitchen, as she was almost starving from having gone through a week of eating nothing but scraps of food. Predictably, Mrs. Draggery had caught her in the act and consequently ordered Filch to whip her "until she learned".

"Right..." she finally answered, smiling weakly at her friend. Ginny admired Vicky so much... Her courage, her disposition, her will power; all characteristics she would have loved to stand-out for too, but she didn't... They were the same age, yet Ginny felt like a child whenever she was around her. Vicky was always the one trying to cheer them all up when things got ugly, almost like a mother would. The girls loved her dearly for that.

"Now let's get back to sleep before it's dawn already," Vicky added, returning to her bed.

Unfortunately out of the two, only one of them could find the way back to 'Morpheus'. Ginny was restless; she couldn't shut her eyes again, she didn't want to either, afraid that she would fall into the same abyss. How dare he bother her even during her sleep! The worst of all was that the confused red-head wasn't as pissed towards Draco, as she was towards herself, because in truth, between all the despair and helplessness, Ginny was afraid to admit that she didn't really wish Draco would let her go, depriving her from his touch... In the dream, Ginny had actually enjoyed it and the thought scared her to death...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - @ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

Second chapter up! I hope you like it! I must admit I had lots of fun writing it, though :P. By the way, for those who didn't know, Morpheus is the Greek God of the Dreams, son of the dreams and of the night. Haven't seen him in a while though, lol. Not as much as I would've wanted to anyway...

Last but not least, make sure you R & R. Reviews keep me updating faster and draw inspiration near. ; ) so if you like this so far, let me know.

Thanks to my REVIEWERS: **Sophie**, **HPFan 34**, **Olivia Weasley**, **fireangel1404**, **draco li'l hottie**, **Adrial**, **PurEvil**, **monagy3**, **Mrs Felton**, **Harry and Orlando**, **lilmisspotterluver** and a couple of **Anonymous** =P.

-->