Unofficial Portkey Archive

In a day that holds so much sadness by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In a day that holds so much sadness

Rosali

In a Day that Holds so Much Sadness

CHAPTER I Their doomed fate

A/N: This is going to be a very short fic. I have been wondering for some time now how it was, October 31st 1981. Hope you enjoy it, even though you know how it ends.

When they woke up, they would've never imagined what that day held. No one knew of the prophecy, no one thought peace and grieve were approaching by the passing hour that Halloween.

Despite the fear and the war, all wizardring houses were overflowing with decorations and happiness, celebrating the Wizardring World's day. The eve in which all witches and wizards were celebrated. Even muggles knew of this day, and honoured it.

But there were two couples that in spite of the joy, also held fear and uncertainty in their hearts, in the back of their minds; the Potters and the Longbottoms.

That night the four of them gathered in a round office, having left their children with the Hogwarts elves by the time being… oh their blessed and doomed children!

'Welcome! It is such a pity that we must get together in such disgraceful situation. Please take a seat.' A tall and imposing man, with a long, grey beard and twinkling blue eyes behind half-moon spectacles welcomed the four.

'It is true, Albus. We must decide how we'll protect ourselves and the children. At least by this night,' said a woman with round face, dark brown hair and well-put form. A high rank auror.

Dumbledore sighed. 'Indeed, Alice. Today, the day of all hallows is the most dangerous day for young Neville and young Harry. Such terrible price we must pay for doing what's right,' he lamented.

'There's no point in rambling about those things right now. We must decide where we'll be hiding tonight Albus.' Tall and handsome. Messy black hair sprayed to his neck and hazel eyes burning with determination. James Potter stood, putting a hand energetically on the desk.

'Yes, James, you're right,' Dumbledore said in a calm voice.

'Honey, sit down please. Let's focus only in a place right now.' A very beautiful, red haired young woman put a hand on her husband's arm. Her emerald green eyes betrayed pain and too many things seen, but they were still so beautiful.

'Yes, James. Lily is right. We must not let our emotions in the way. We must think of our children as possible saviours of the Wizardring World in the future,' said a deep voice from the far corner. Frank Longbottom, in an all black robe, decorated only by two golden cords, one in each side said. He was a man of few words, but an amazing wizard and an even better person. His dark hair fell to his forehead and his dark blue eyes showed deep concern.

'They're one year old for crying out loud!' James cried, finally letting the pressure and concern get to him. Lily stood and hugged him, resting her head on his back. You could feel her eyes filling with tears. James sagged and sighed, he sat back down. 'I'm sorry, I really am'

'No reason to be sorry, we understand perfectly,' Dumbledore said sympathetically. 'Now, where would be the best place to stay overnight?'

'We have thought of a country house near the Netherlands. It's a familiar's,' Frank said gravely. They were debating it right now, but after the Proteus Charm was cast, none of them would be able to say how to get there, except the Secret Keeper.

Dumbledore nodded. 'Very well, Frank. That sounds pretty safe for now. Who will be your Secret Keeper?'

Alice bit her lip. 'We still don't know. The only one we trust enough has nothing to do with this, and I wouldn't want her in danger'

'In these moments, everyone is involved, whether they want it or not. If we fail to protect Neville and Harry, then not even them will stand a chance,' Dumbledore pointed.

Frank held her by the arms. 'We have discussed this already Alice. Jenna said she would be glad to do it. Even if she's not exactly involved, we have no other choice,' he said softly.

Alice looked away for a moment and then turned her gaze to her husband's and nodded. 'I know. We should summon her, I guess,' she almost whispered.

Dumbledore gave her an encouraging smile and turned to Lily and James, already knowing who their secret keeper would be. 'Summon him?' he asked. They nodded.

James pulled out a small mirror, carved on the edges and stared into it. 'Padfoot, you there?'

Moments later, the surface of the mirror rippled and a handsome, long-haired man appeared there. He was looking extremely worried. 'Any progress?'

'We're ready. Come please'

'James, we got to talk. I don't t reckon-'

'Just come,' he said and Sirius disappeared from the surface, saying nothing and with a grim expression. James sighed heavily. 'He'll take a little while. Is Jenna close by?'

Frank nodded. 'She's ten minutes from here. I'll send Alcione right now.' He whistled and a small owl came fluttering quickly through the window.

It landed in Alice's hand. She whispered something in its ear and the owl disappeared immediately.

Ten minutes later, there was a knock on the door. Dumbledore waved his hand and it opened. 'Welcome, Jenna'

A plump little woman came in timidly. She smiled when she saw her cousin. 'Hello, Master Dumbledore,' she said with a heavy eastern American accent.

'Good Merlin! Don't call me that, please. I don't reckon I deserve it. Professor or just Albus would be quite all right,' he said with a warming smile. It was amazing how he could appear so calm and cool-headed, even in the most difficult of times.

She laughed. 'Of course you do… but I'll call you professor if it makes you more comfortable'

'Thank you, Jenna,' he said with another smile and then turned serious. 'You are aware of what this implicates, right Miss Hofflong?'

She sighed. 'Yes, I am, professor Dumbledore. But if what my cousin has told me is indeed true. Then I'll be honoured to be trusted with such a responsibility,' she said honestly.

Alice sighed heavily.

'It's ok, you don't have to worry about it Alice. I'll be all right as long as no one knows I'm your Secret Keeper'

'I know. I am just sorry you have to carry such a weight'

'It is no weight, my dear'

Alice smiled and nodded. 'All right. Here I go.' She walked to her cousin and tapped her wand to her cousin's head, 'Proteum secreto,' she said and leaned forward to tell her the location of the house they were staying for the next two nights'

A light surrounded Jenna and then it vanished. 'It's done. Thank you Alice,' she smiled reassuringly.

Alice hugged her tight, tears escaping her eyes. 'Thank you, Jenna'

Dumbledore clapped his hands and smiled. 'Then you should be heading to your location. Young Neville is with the house elves.' Alice and Frank nodded and walked out.

'You be careful,' Dumbledore and James called in unison.

Minutes later, Sirius Black was appearing in the door of the Headmaster's office.

***