Unofficial Portkey Archive

In a day that holds so much sadness by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In a day that holds so much sadness

Rosali

In a Day that Holds so much Sadness

CHAPTER II

Choices made

`Sirius, so good you could join us,' Dumbledore received the stunning black-haired man.

`Padfoot,' James greeted him with a hug.

`Sirius, I can't tell you how grateful I am you're doing this!' Lily wrapped her arms around him, crying soundlessly.

Sirius sighed and hugged her back. `He's my godson, Lily. And you know I'd do anything for James or you.'

Lily smiled and wiped her eyes. She took in some air and faced her former Headmaster. `So, where to now. I was thinking of my sister's house. She's a muggle after all. You could put some incantations on it or something.' You could tell just by looking at her that she was barely holding up.

`I wouldn't want to put your sister in danger. I'd rather if we stayed somewhere by ourselves, don't you reckon?'

`I have to agree with James here. It would be better if you were by yourselves.'

Lily sagged, they were right. `What place have you got in mind then?'

`I would suggest Godric's Hollow. It's yours after all, right James?'

James considered this for a moment, and so did Dumbledore. `That could be a good place,' Dumbledore mused.

Lily smiled. James family's old house seemed a perfect place. It was in a small island; a muggle island. She glanced at her husband. `What do you reckon darling?'

`I think it's our best choice,' he agreed. `Sirius, are you ready?'

He came up, a determined look in his grey eyes. `James, I don't reckon using me would be the most succeeded decision.' He saw both his friends' horrified looks. He was about to explain himself when James spoke.

`And why exactly would that be?' he asked, clearly angry at his best friend.

`No, James! That's not it!'

James was about to reply, when Lily put a hand on his arm, her emerald green eyes were sparkling with tears. `Sirius, it's ok if you don't want to risk it.'

`Like hell it is! What do you-`

`James!' Sirius raised his voice. `That's not it. You know I would gladly die for you mate. The thing is-`

`Then what on earth is the matter!'

`Listen to me, will you?! Who is the closest person to you two? Me! Who do you think they'll reckon is the Secret Keeper? Me! Understand now?'

Lily and James listened. Lily looked away, blinking tears; she swallowed hard and buried her face in James' shoulder. James sighed. `You're right. But what do you recommend we do? Remus most certainly can't tonight.'

`I know he can't, Prongs. I was thinking-`

`Please don't say Peter.'

Sirius nodded heavily and before James could argue back, he continued. `They know Wormtail is the last one we'd go to. Merlin! I don't even think they consider him a threat at all!'

Lily looked at James. `It is true, honey. As mean as it sounds, it is the truth. I think we should do what Sirius says.'

James directed her a questioning glance and then sagged. `I'm not convinced, but she's right; somewhat.'

Sirius and Lily smiled. Dumbledore nodded. `Shall I summon Pettigrew then?'

The three nodded at the same time. Dumbledore bowed in acceptance and pronounced a few words. A puff of light green smoke appeared in mid air and Peter Pettigrew was in the middle of it. He was at a restaurant, having lunch, looking pleased about something. No one but Sirius noticed it; he narrowed his eyes a bit but figured it was just his own desire to be the Secret Keeper for the Potters.

`Peter. Please come to my office,' Dumbledore said.

Peter jumped as if he had just seen a ghost and took his hand to his chest. `D- Dumbledore, you scared the soul out of me,' he said nervously.

`Come now please.'

`Y- Yes, I'll be right here.'

The puff of smoke vanished in the air and Peter disappeared.

Ten minutes later, there was a knock on the door and a small, round man appeared in the door of the Headmaster's office.

`Good morning Peter,' Dumbledore greeted.

`Morning Headmaster.'

Dumbledore laughed. `I'm not your Headmaster anymore.'

He smiled back lightly. `Heh, sorry. I keep forgetting.'

`It's been three years!' Sirius pointed out with a laugh.

`Hey Padfoot.'

`Wormtail.' James said.

`Prongs! It's been a while eh?'

`Hello Peter.'

Peter blushed a little. `H- Hi Lily. What's the matter, where is Harry?' he asked with a worried tone.

`That's exactly why we're all here, Peter,' James told his friend.

`Harry. Prophecy. Halloween… ring any bells?' Sirius said sarcastically, waving his hand in front of his face.

Peter looked at him and gasped. `Oh my! That's right! So what do you need me for?' he asked.

James sighed and walked to him, placing both hands over his shoulders. `Peter, we need to go on hiding, at least for tonight. Normally we would ask Sirius to be our secret keeper, but they are no fools; they know that.'

`So we want you to be our Secret Keeper instead. We know we can trust you and it would mean the world to us.'

For a moment, a strange look crossed Peter's eyes and then he suppressed it. He nodded. `I would be honoured Lily,' he said and managed a weak smile.

James smiled back and moments later, he was embracing his friend in gratefulness. `Thank you Peter,' he said, keeping the tears from his brown eyes.

Sirius looked at them with a little envy. He really did want to be the Secret Keeper, but that was the best option. Peter would tell him anyway after the enchantment was cast.

They pulled apart and turned to Dumbledore, who nodded. James leaned to Peter's ear, whispering something. Then he pulled out his wand and pointed at him `Fidelius,' he cast.

A yellow-ish light surrounded Peter and sank into his skin, provoking a whimper to escape his lips. He had his eyes closed and his chest rose and fell rapidly. He opened them again and took a deep breath. `It's done,' he said in a low voice.

-->