Unofficial Portkey Archive

In a day that holds so much sadness by Rosali
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

In a day that holds so much sadness

Rosali

In a day that holds so much Sadness

A/N: I said it would be a short fic. I did the outline and it's scheduled for 7 to 8 chapters. The chapters are short, but very intense from where I stand. Hope you like it J And please R&R.

CHAPTER III

Crumpling from within

After the charm was performed, and Peter gone into hiding; Lily, James and Sirius went down to the kitchen. Harry and Neville were playing with the little house elves, who were squeaking happily to have babies under their charge. As soon as they entered, they went silent and bowed.

'Good morning Mrs. Potter,' one of the elves said.

'Good morning, Plinky,' Lily said softly while staring at her little baby boy, playing unworriedly with Neville.

'Good morning Mr. Potter,' the same elf addressed James.

He smiled. 'It's good to see he's giving you no trouble,' he replied and wrapped an arm around Lily's shoulders, sensing what she was feeling, for he was feeling just the same. Not fair at all for two little boys that barely spoke to be loaded with such heavy burden.

'I don't know Prongs. I don't know if to take that as a compliment or an offence,' Sirius laughed.

Harry registered his godfather's and his parents' presence and turned to them. He stood with the help of his small hands and walked clumsily to them. 'Mama!' he said, reaching out his arms so she would pick him up.

Lily smiled at him and James carried the baby boy. 'How's my champ?' he asked with a proud smile.

Harry pointed at the other boy. 'Nevi,' he said with a bright smile; full of life and innocence.

Lily took his little hand. 'Yes darling, that's Neville.'

Alice and Frank came in and Lily spun to face them. 'Neville, baby. Let's go,' Alice said to her son.

Neville stood with some difficulty, and, leaning on the wall, he walked to his mother's arms.

'We'll be going, 'kay Harry?' James told his son.

Harry pouted. Lily smiled softly and took her finger to his lips. 'Now, now. No pouting, love.'

Sirius gave a bark of laughter. 'You know, that can stay like that forever if you keep doing it.'

Harry gasped and bit his bottom lip.

James laughed at his friend and shook his head. 'Ready?' he asked. Harry nodded and James turned to Alice and Frank, 'good night, and… good luck' he said hesitantly.

Lily looked at them. 'I know everything will turn out just fine,' she said softly, though she sounded unconvinced.

'Good night Lily, Good night James. Good luck to you too,' Frank addressed the other couple.

'Good bye Alice,' Sirius bowed slightly and Alice smiled.

'Good night Sirius'

They all gathered around an old teapot and they took the portkey that had brought them to the school.

When they were gone, Alice sagged and looked at her husband. 'They're so young, Frank,' she said, mortified.

'I know, honey. But it's not like they have a choice.'

'They should've never joined the order in the first place, that way they'd be safe at least for a little longer.'

'That is not for you to decide,' Frank said gravely.

'I know, but I can't help it.' She pulled Neville closer to her and held him tight.

Frank wrapped his arms around his family and held them for a little while. The imminent was coming, and all they could do was hope for the best and wait for the worst. He pulled away, frowning in concern. 'It's not certain, Alice.'

'I know. I know Frank but that's not why I'm crying' she exclaimed.

'Then what's the matter?'

'I feel like such a horrible person. I want it to be the Potter's son, Frank! That's why!'

'Oh sweetheart!' he said and moved a lock of dirty blond hair from her face. 'That's natural, no one wants their children to be attacked… or die. You're not a horrible person'

Alice managed a small smile. 'Let's just hope it turns out all right,' she said softly and they took the portkey they had been assigned.

***

Lily and James said their respective good byes to Sirius and he parted in his flying motorbike. Sirius had a terrible feeling about this whole thing, but imagined it was just the nervousness of the night.

He decided to go to a very renown Night Club at Knockturn Alley his brother had been so kind in showing him when he graduated. 'You'll see who are the big guys', he had said. Sirius always snorted when he remembered that night. Yeah, the big guys that killed you, you fool, he thought.

Riding through the night, he didn't know why memories started flooding his mind. When they had first became animagus to keep Remus company; how Lily turned James down one million times before she realised she liked him too; The celebration when she had finally agreed to go out with him. He had very fond memories of his two friends.

***

'Sirius, I need to ask you something'

'What happened?' he asked panicked.

James frowned. 'What do you mean?'

'You never call me Sirius'

'Ah, uh… sorry,' he said idly.

Sirius raised an eyebrow. 'What's the matter, James?'

'Well, Lily and I- we have been going out for a little over a year-'

'Ah, I know'

'What do you mean, you now?'

'Who do you think you're talking to Prongs?'

'Erm…'

'Yes. If I didn't know what you're about to ask me, then I'd stop calling myself your best mate'

James smiled weakly and relaxed; it was always great to talk to Sirius and see things the way he did.

'You're very young, not even twenty. But I reckon you should go for it'

'You think?'

'Uh-huh'

James grinned and hit him on the back affectively. 'Thank you, mate!'

'Anytime, love bird'

'Uhm… Sirius?'

'Oh, no. Not again'

'Heh, sorry. Well, you're my best friend; more than my best friends. You like.. well, you know. Would you?'

'I would love to'

'Brilliant!' He hugged his friend. 'And you know, I-'

'Yeah… me too, Prongs'

'Thanks Padfoot'

He winked at his bestest friend.

***

He finally got to "The Muddy Heaven" and parked his motorbike, with a burning sensation inside him; it was as if he had a knot in his stomach that was finding its way up to his throat and making him feel… well, funny.

He shook his head and ordered a firewhisky at the bar. He started drinking it and involuntarily picked up on diverse conversations. It could be a great thing to be a dog animagus, but sometimes it was just annoying or overwhelming.

He tried to push away all the voices he was hearing; but just as he was managing to do it, he picked a name he recognised. Why would his name be mentioned in a place like this? He asked himself with a frown.

A/N: How expressive can men be uh? I thought it was funny. I'm sorry if I'm not as expressive as usual, but RL can be tough L