Unofficial Portkey Archive

Keeping A Promise by MapleMountain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Keeping A Promise

MapleMountain

Chapter 14 - Two Warnings for Harry

(A/N -If you wonder why I bothered to include an event from Chapter 8 in COS as being important enough to include in this timeline, some of the concepts in this chapter are related to a wonderful essay (http://www.symbolic-flight.org/theory_pp_veil.htm - if that link doesn't work, do a search on the site) by Perdita Potter at Symbolic-Flight.org, called The Veil Mystery Unfurled. I am not using much more than the basic idea, but I have to give her the credit for an interesting theory. She ties the events in COS to critical events in OotP, and possibly to HBP and on to book 7. Symbolic-Flight is a great site, by the way, hosted by Portkey - very insightful H/Hr essays, among other things. But first, I have a little bit of spare business I decided to wrap up from last chapter (PG-13 in nature!), and a Quidditch match to prepare for, which again has a key plot point in it that needs to be addressed for this to all work out!)

September passed and October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. School had settled into its normal pattern after that early weekend in the term, except for some noticeable differences in Gilderoy Lockhart. Starting on the Monday following his famous Cornish Pixie demonstration and continuing for about a week, he seemed to be walking very gingerly wherever he went, as if he had had a very painful accident on a broom. Also, watching him sit at the staff table was sad to see because of the open look of pain on his face. Some male students swore they heard sobbing coming from a bathroom stall right before he emerged one day, obviously upset. This, along with his transparent attempts to do whatever he could to avoid being anywhere near Miss Puckle, and his studied avoidance of any reference to Miss Granger's "fainting spells" in that first class of the term, seemed to indicate that something or someone had definitely changed him. As a result, the DADA classes became more interesting, since he no longer relied so heavily on his own books to teach the basics of defense. He was still pretty incompetent when it came to actually demonstrating defense spells, but he at least gave them practical homework assignments that allowed the better students to pick it up on their own.

Early on that following Monday, though, Miss Puckle and Professor McGonagall were having trouble keeping the obvious question to themselves during their regular meeting with the Headmaster. It wasn't helping their curiosity to see that he had a "cat who ate the canary" look the entire morning. Finally, he could not keep from smiling after he had finished with the regular meeting agenda.

"I assume, Harmony and Minerva, that you are somewhat curious as to the results of the staff business I had on Saturday? Well, due to the nature of that business, I feel that it is a private matter between myself and our Defense against the Dark Arts professor. Suffice it to say that the sanctions that have been levied against him for his behavior Saturday are both appropriate, and fully reversible, if he keeps out of further trouble while he is employed here." As he said this, his eyes seemed to flicker towards a jar on a shelf next to his desk. "But, I dare say that he won't be so interested in associating with members of the opposite sex for the foreseeable future. I feel that this will allow him to reflect on his life to this point and maybe even improve his behavior." His eyes were twinkling merrily as he said this last, and Harmony was seen to blush slightly as she realized what had happened. Minerva didn't blush, however; she was too busy laughing.

Another change that was happening, although not quite so noticeably, was in the Charms quiz and homework scores of a small group of Slytherins. There were at least one or two in each year from that house that seemed to have really put forth some extra effort in their various charms studies, and the House Cup point totals were becoming a tight race between Gryffindor and Slytherin as a result. Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were still in the thick of things, too, with not 50 points separating the four houses on any given day.

Harry, who was one of the students whose Charms scores were now at the top of his year (tied with Miss Granger, by the way), had also settled in to his regular Quidditch training. He found that he loved flying so much he didn't even mind practicing in the worst weather. Heavy rain, cold, snow, wind, none of it mattered to him as long as he was on his broom, learning how to fly scoring plays with his fellow Chasers while keeping an eye on Draco's sometimes comical attempts to catch the snitch. One stormy day he noticed the unmistakable sight of two red-heads trying to spy on their practice. He flew over by Marcus and discreetly pointed them out to him.

Flint wanted to sneak up behind the Weasley twins and hex them, but Harry had a better idea. "Why don't we just SHOW them what they came here to see? They obviously are curious about our 2001's so let's do a little demonstration - maybe that speed flying drill we use to warm up?" Marcus, who had come to respect Harry's opinion, (even though he thought he was too soft-hearted sometimes), agreed. He called the team over, and they showed off their speed and agility to a hidden audience. Based on what he saw from his broom, Harry was sure that the Weasley's would only have seen seven green blurs in the air. He was just as confident that they would spread the word among all the teams, and it never hurts to make your opponents scared of you before you even face them.

Soon, it was Halloween. All of the students were happily anticipating their Halloween Feast in the Great Hall that evening. The decorations and entertainment were all set, and Harry was pretty excited as he left his room with Blaise on the way down to the festivities. He had found that Blaise was, well, not a great friend, but someone to hang out with occasionally. They really didn't have all that much in common besides the extra charms class and their dislike of their dorm mates. Now that he had distanced himself from Draco and company, he found that he didn't really have anyone in Slytherin that he was very friendly with. He kept a "businesslike" relationship with his Quidditch teammates, but since they were worried about offending the Malfoy family they did not make an effort off the field to spend time with him. When he bothered to think about it, he really felt as if something or someone was missing in his life, like something was just not "right". But, he chose not to dwell on something that depressing all that often.

Today, though, he and Blaise were headed from the Slytherin Common room towards the Great Hall when Harry realized he had forgotten his wizard hat. "You go on ahead, Blaise, and save me a seat, will you? I'm really looking forward to some of that excellent treacle tart and pumpkin pie!" He ran back to his dorm room, grabbed his hat, and headed back towards the hall. When he got out into the hall, he was surprised to see the Bloody Baron, floating silently away from the passage to the Great Hall "That's strange, he usually at least makes an appearance at the big feasts. Wonder where he's headed? I've got a few minutes, still, and Blaise is saving me a seat, so I'll just see where he's off to!"

Soon, Harry found himself in front of one of the roomier dungeons. The passageway leading into the dungeon was decorated with jet-black candles, burning bright blue. He heard a terrible screeching sound coming from the draped doorway, and walked a little bit closer to see what was causing it. Before he could go much further, he was stopped by an unexpected voice.

"Mr. Potter, isn't it? May I help you? What has led you down to this part of the castle on this feast day?" The mournful voice of Nearly-Headless Nick sounded slightly worried as he asked.

"Oh, hello, Sir Nicholas!" Harry said, slightly startled. "I…I was just a bit, well, curious, I guess. I saw the Bloody Baron headed this direction, and I was wondering why he wasn't going to the Halloween Feast, that's all. May I ask what is going on here? It looks like someone is having a celebration, too!" He took another step towards the door to get a better look and felt much colder almost instantly.

"Mr. Potter, don't go any further, if you please." Nearly-Headless Nick warned. "To answer your question, today is my 500th Deathday Party, and I have invited a large number of ghosts from around the country to visit. But, this party is, unfortunately, limited today to those who have already passed through the veil. If I had known in advance that you were interested in attending, I would have been more than happy to make the necessary arrangements. (In fact, Nick thought to himself, that would have probably helped my reputation considerably among my peers), but at this late hour I'm afraid it wouldn't be a good idea. You see, this party, by the nature of its attendees, is held in a "transitional zone" between the physical and spiritual worlds. Those who are living, such as yourself, need to be invited by one of us, and escorted by their host while they are among us. To do otherwise would be…well, let's just say that you have a lot of life ahead of you, and you need to experience it as a physical being. It is difficult for the living to return from our world unless they are properly prepared."

"Oh, sorry, Sir Nicholas, I didn't know that! Yeah, you're right; I'd rather not have to go through the rest of my time at Hogwarts as a ghost - no offense, of course!" Harry said apologetically.

"That's quite all right, Mr. Potter. No harm done", the ghost answered quickly. "But, why don't you head up to that Halloween feast of yours? If my memories of your father are any indication, I'm sure you'll find the food there more to your liking, both in quantity and flavor."

"Wait…you knew my father?" Harry was completely taken aback at this revelation. "Yeah, I guess you would, if you've been dead at Hogwarts for 500 years!"

"Yes, and your mother, too! What a charming young witch she was! And your father, now he was quite the character. They were both in my house, you know! Head Boy and Head Girl, too!" Nick said with pride. "Would you like to talk about them sometime?"

"Would I! Of course I would! About all I know is what Hagrid told me when I first found out I was a wizard, but I'd love to find out more about them." Harry was obviously ready to sit down right there in the doorway and have a chat, but Nick held up a ghostly hand.

"I'd love to talk to you about them, but now, I have a party to host. I promise I will talk to you about this as soon as we can after tonight. The next time you have a free moment, come look me up. I admit, my schedule isn't all that full, floating around the castle. It's not like I actually have to be anywhere, now is it? Now, off you go, enjoy your feast!"

Harry turned away, somewhat reluctantly, but Nick had already passed through the draped doorway. Harry ran up the passageway, ran into the Great Hall, and spent the rest of the evening thoroughly enjoying himself. He started to tell Blaise about his adventure in the dungeons, but he thought better of it. <No, I'm sure he wouldn't be all that interested in hearing me go on about a ghost and my parents. Sometimes I wish there was someone who I could talk to about things like that.>

*****

"Yes, Albus; tonight is the night that Ginny opened the Chamber in my timeline." Miss Puckle said as they were walking towards the Great Hall. "Harry, Ron, and I had attended Sir Nicholas's 500th Deathday party in the dungeons, and Harry heard the Basilisk moving through the pipes. He followed the voice, and we saw a message written on this very wall. Ginny had written in it blood while under the influence of that diary. The message said the chamber had been opened, and that the enemies of the heir should beware. Mrs. Norris was the first petrified victim that night, but there were others, as I have already told you."

Dumbledore smiled as he spoke. "Some things have not changed, at least. Sir Nicholas is having his party this evening, of course. He was courteous enough to send me an invitation after I had reserved the room for him, although I begged off due to my previous commitments with tonight's feast. I have been to other events of this nature, of course, after the proper arrangements have been made. Severus has too, now that I think about it. Once he was invited to a Deathday celebration for the Bloody Baron, and as head of Slytherin, he felt that he was obligated to attend. Of course, neither one of us can stand the smell or sight of either salmon or haggis ever since!" he said ruefully.

"Oh, don't I know it!" Harmony grimaced. "Whenever I have eaten peanuts or cheese from that time on, I still automatically check them for mold and fungus, too! Bleaaah!"

"Fortunately, it appears that this part of the timeline has been changed, at least, and hopefully towards a 'safer' alternative." Dumbledore sounded relieved. "Now that I have been able to neutralize the power of Tom's diary, I am confident that he will not be able to terrorize Miss Weasley and the rest of our non-pureblooded student body! I am concerned, though, that Harry's skills will not have been tested as they were in your version of events. Of course, there are other implications, too. The Chamber, while sealed, still has a sleeping Basilisk in it, and Harry will not have the loyalty of the Weasley family as a result of his heroic rescue of their only daughter. Hmmm, this is a quandary! How much change is 'too much'? Are we doing a different type of damage in our efforts to push things back towards your memories, when obviously there are some major differences now? I'll have to consider this carefully. I think I am missing an obvious solution now, but time paradoxes are always a challenge. Let's consider this more at our next meeting, shall we? But, for now, let's join the feast. Oh, look, there's Gilderoy! Hmm, I wonder why he is always in such a hurry to leave when you come into a room? I've noticed he always looks so pale when he sees you, too. I hope he's not coming down with something!" he said, winking at her.

*****

The following Saturday, Harry woke early and went to breakfast so he would have time for his meal to settle. Finally, the day of his first-ever Quidditch Match (as a player, anyway) had arrived. He was pretty confident, considering his team was mounted on the fastest racing brooms gold could buy, but he was still a bit nervous as he got dressed in his brand-new green and silver robes with the rest of his teammates.

As they walked on the field, Harry immediately realized he was playing before a hostile crowd. Fully three of the four houses were booing loudly, but as he looked towards the Slytherin stands, he could tell that they were cheering as much as they possibly could. Then, as the Gryffindor team was introduced, the ear-splitting roar immediately changed, with a deafening cheer going up for the scarlet-robed underdogs. Harry was surprised at how loud it was on the field. <Wow, I never realized just how much people don't like us at Hogwarts. Just because we've won the Quidditch cup for so many years, I guess they want us to fall apart. We're just trying to do our best! And, if our best is better than the other teams, we'll win. They always have a chance to beat us!>

As soon as Madam Hooch sounded her whistle and the Quaffle was taken by Alicia Spinnet for Gryffindor, Harry immediately rose with his teammates. The next thing he knew, Marcus was yelling at him. "Oi, Potter! Get down here! You're supposed to be on defense, going after the Quaffle, remember! Let Malfoy look for the snitch. You've got plays to run! GET SCORING, POTTER! If Malfoy needs any help, I'll let you know!

Harry was very embarrassed, considering that just for a moment he had found himself automatically starting a search for the snitch. He shook his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. By this time, Adrian Pucey had intercepted a Quaffle intended for Angelina Johnson. Harry immediately joined the Chaser formation they had been working on for weeks now. It was designed to get him into scoring position quickly, since his skills were not well known by Gryffindor's keeper, Oliver Wood. Pucey passed to Flint, who did a perfect sloth-grip roll to confuse his pursuers, and by then Harry was wide open in front of the left hoop with Wood distracted over by the far right hoop by Pucey's feint. "Come on, Marcus, let's do it!" Harry muttered, NOW!"

But, as Flint had thrown a pinpoint pass to Harry, he heard a Bludger heading right for him. As he caught the Quaffle and threw it through the open hoop in one smooth motion, the Bludger barely missed his head. "Watch it, Potter," Flint said as the score was announced, "those Weasley twins must have been practicing their Beater skills all summer! I've never seen a Bludger swerve like that! It's almost like it had eyes!"

*****

Many hours later, Harry woke up quite suddenly in the pitch blackness and gave a small yelp of pain. He was quite disoriented, and couldn't figure out where he was for a moment. Then, it started to come back to him, how the Bludger kept on following him no matter what he tried. At first, the Slytherins were yelling that the Gryffindors had hexed the Bludger somehow, but it became immediately apparent that the Weasley's were not anywhere near that Bludger when it would swoop down towards him, obviously controlled by some other force. Even though they ended up winning when Malfoy heard the snitch flying in his left ear and was able to catch it, Harry's arm ended up being broken by the Bludger while his team was celebrating the win. <I thought Bludgers were supposed to stop whenever Hooch blows her whistle! Guess not! But, why did that git Lockhart have to come down and remove all the bones in my arm? Why was he trying to show off like that? He's not a healer! Must have been trying to get his name in the Daily Prophet again! He sure turned white when he saw both Hermione and Miss Puckle headed towards him, didn't he? I never knew he could turn tail and run so fast!>

Then, as he rolled over to protect his aching, but rapidly healing arm, he yelped. "DOBBY! What are you doing here?" The green-eyed house elf was standing next to his bed, getting ready to put a dampened sponge on Harry's forehead.

"Harry Potter came back to school," he whispered miserably, "Dobby tried to warn Harry Potter, then he made him sleepy, but he still found another way to get to Hogwarts after he missed the train."

"How did you know I missed the train? Did YOU block the barrier that day? Why, I ought to strangle you! Do you know how much trouble you caused me that day?"

"Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

*****

Lying there in the dark, Harry's arm felt like it was full of very large splinters. Madam Pomfrey had said he wouldn't be done healing until near breakfast time in the morning. But, that was not why he was still awake. After hearing Dobby's crazy tale about a backup plan to open something called the Chamber of Secrets, using Harry's abilities to make a monster attack Mudbloods; not to mention what he learned about house-elves and their masters, followed by a tearful plea for him to leave Hogwarts before it was too late, he wasn't able to sleep a wink. <I don't even know what a Chamber of Secrets is! Why did he say I have special powers? Even if I did, I wouldn't use them to attack other students, no matter who they are!> Harry was, to say the least, quite confused. <That does it! I'm going to see Professor Snape as soon as I get out of here. This is just too weird….but, wait a minute. The last time I said anything about a house elf, Snape was not too sympathetic. He seemed to think I was making it all up to get out of trouble. So, who else can I talk to? Dumbledore? Well, I don't know him very well, do I? He seems okay, but I don't think I should introduce myself to him in quite this manner, so scratch that idea. Let's see…I know! I'll talk to Miss Puckle. We have Charms practice Monday after dinner, and I'll just stay after for a moment to have a word with her. She might have some suggestions about what to do, at least!>

Harry was surprised at just how interested Miss Puckle was in his story. "I was hoping that you would…I mean to say, I'm glad that you came to talk to me, Harry! I have worked with house elves on a few occasions in the past, if you weren't aware. But, I admit that this is a strange story (<…even though it's the second time I've heard it!> she thought to herself with a chuckle.) I think that it would be best that we involve the Headmaster as soon as we can. He might be able to shed some light on this Chamber of Secrets you mentioned. Let's go to his office and see if he's available."

As they got off the spiral staircase at the door to Dumbledore's office, Harry was surprised to see that the knocker was in the shape of a Griffin. <It looks like the Headmaster was in Gryffindor, eh? I hope he doesn't play favorites when it comes to students from Slytherin. All the heads of houses seem to be pretty fair with students in the other houses, though, so I'm sure the Headmaster will be, also.>

Miss Puckle rapped on the door, and as it opened, she entered as if she was quite familiar with the place. She immediately ushered Harry over towards an enormous, claw-footed desk, then turned and greeted a strange looking bird perched behind the door. "Hello, Fawkes! My, you're starting to look a bit under the weather. How long is it until your burning day?" she asked.

"Oh, I'd say at least five, maybe six more weeks, Miss Puckle." Albus had come in so quietly that both Harmony and Harry jumped. "I hope that he will be back to his old self again around Christmas, and here it is only the second week in November. But, I'm sure you have more important things to discuss than the well-being of my phoenix, isn't that right? Ah, Mr. Potter, I'm glad to see you again. Have you had any more blackouts since I saw you in the hospital wing back at the first of term?"

"No, sir, nothing like that." he responded. "But, Miss Puckle would like me to talk to you about something that just happened in the Hospital Wing after my …Quidditch accident on Saturday."

Dumbledore looked slightly amused. "Oh, yes, the 'rogue Bludger' that broke your arm. It took the combined efforts of spells from Madam Hooch, Professor Flitwick, and Miss Puckle to finally bring it under control after you were taken to the Hospital Wing. I hope that you suffered no long-lasting damage because of Professor Lockhart's ministrations! Hmm, maybe it's time for another little chat with him, although I daresay if I invite him into my office again, he may just faint dead away."

Harry could have sworn that he saw his Headmaster and Miss Puckle exchange a knowing wink, and he could tell that she, for one, was barely able to keep from laughing out loud, especially when her eyes rested for a second on a jar on the shelf next to his desk. <Must be a private joke…> he thought as he answered Dumbledore. "No, Headmaster, my arm is fine now. I'm sure Professor Lockhart was just trying to help, although I admit I wish he hadn't practiced his bone-mending charm on me!"

"Well, that's just it, Mr. Potter. From what I understand, he didn't do a bone-mending charm. He unintentionally used the wand movements for a bone-removing charm, which is used in cases of multiple, painful fractures of large bones if performed in a medical facility," Dumbledore explained. "Under different circumstances, I'd almost recommend that he attend some of Miss Puckle's excellent charms classes, but I doubt that he would think that is a good idea." This time, Harry noticed that Harmony's eyes got very wide for a second, and then she was back to stifling her laughter as best she could.

"Headmaster Dumbledore," she said, barely able to keep her composure at first. "Harry does have something to tell you that you may be interested in. Please let him speak, and I'll just sit over here and listen."

Dumbledore nodded at Harry as if to tell him to go ahead, so Harry started explaining what had happened in the Hospital Wing a few nights previous.

"So, anyway, Miss Puckle thought you might be able to tell us something about this Chamber of Secrets that the house-elf Dobby warned me about. What exactly is it, sir? And, what does it have to do with me?" Harry asked pleadingly.

Albus steepled his fingers for a moment, and looked at Harry. "Usually, I tell anyone who asks me that question the 'approved' answer, which is that the Chamber of Secrets is an old legend and many learned wizards and witches have spent years trying to find it unsuccessfully. But, because of new information I have received in the past few years, I have to tell you the rest of the story. I understand from Professor Binns that History of Magic isn't your favorite subject (of course he could have been referring to any one of a number of students, come to think of it), but please pay attention, Harry. I think this story will be able to hold your interest. Please have a seat - this may take a while."

******

After Dumbledore finished relating the entire legend of the Chamber, along with a few additional details he had recently been told from an unimpeachable source, Harry sat for a moment, stunned to silence. "So, there is a …basilisk somewhere in an underground passage in this castle, and, from what Dobby said, I'm supposed to know how to control it somehow? I'm not even sure I know what a basilisk is…" Miss Puckle started to answer him, but Albus waved her off quickly, "so how am I supposed to make it attack people? And, why would I want to attack a student here…well, I guess there are one or two that I wouldn't mind…but I surely wouldn't use a monster on them!"

"Well, that's the big question, now isn't it, Harry? Since you have no idea why a house elf would be warning you about this, to the point of trying to harm you just to keep you safe from this possible fate, I'm just going to warn you to keep your eyes open for anything out of the ordinary that happens to you the rest of this year. If something does happen, I want you to make sure you tell me, Professor McGonagall, or Miss Puckle right away."

"Professor McGonagall, sir? Why not Professor Snape? As you know, he's the head of my house. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to tell him about my situation?"

"Normally, that would be the case," Dumbledore thought quickly, "But, Professor McGonagall also has some unique knowledge about these old legends, as does Miss Puckle. I assure you, Professor Snape will be kept informed of anything of importance that you report to us. We meet regularly and I will make sure of that. If that's all, Mr. Potter, I'll ask Miss Puckle to escort you back to your common room hall. Harmony, after you are finished with that, please stop by Minerva's office and ask her to join us for a quick word."

Afterwards, Harry realized he should have probably brought up his memory flashes with the Headmaster, but since he hadn't had one for a while, he had forgotten to mention it. <Must not be all that important, then, if I can't remember it any easier than that>, he thought as he went quickly to sleep.

In the Headmaster's office, Dumbledore was chuckling as he talked to his two trusted associates. "Hermione, weren't we just discussing on Halloween about how we may have made too many changes in the timeline? Fortunately, it appears that certain events are 'meant to be', as long as we don't interfere too much. It looks like Harry may just have an adventure of some kind in the Chamber of Secrets this year after all."