Unofficial Portkey Archive

Keeping A Promise by MapleMountain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Keeping A Promise

MapleMountain

Chapter 4- Hermione's Three Visitors

(A/N - Just in case, I think this chapter ends up earning a PG-13 rating later due to some violent descriptions I included. I did exercise restraint, but some reader's minds may fill in the blanks.)

Dear Headmaster Dumbledore,

My parents have asked me to ask you if it would be okay to invite Harry and Hedwig to stay with us for a week or so this summer. They noticed the escort from the Order when we were at King's Cross Station (it was difficult to miss them), and I had to explain what they were doing there. (By the way, if you had anything to do with that, thank you! You should have seen the look on the Dursley's faces when Moody showed them his eye! It was priceless! I'm sure Mr. Dursley will be limping for a week after hitting that trolley. And, I don't think Mrs. Dursley will get the vision of Tonks' pink hair out of her mind for ages!)

From what my parents have heard and seen, they don't think Harry should have to put up with that situation any longer. They can't understand why he hasn't been staying with a family in the wizarding world all this time, and I have had the same question. I am aware that he has spent time at the Burrow in the past, and at headquarters, so I know that he CAN be away from that awful home. Why does he have to go there at all?

Professor, I would like very much for Harry to have a chance to see what it is like to live in a "normal" Muggle home. I am not saying my family is perfect by any means, but we do love each other and we don't even have a cupboard under our stairs. (Sorry, sir, but I couldn't resist.) I know that he is much happier when he is away from them, and with all the things that have happened this past year I'm sure that he doesn't need to face Privet Drive right now on top of his other problems. He has still not talked to anyone that I know of about Sirius' death, although Luna Lovegood did mention something to me that indicates he is not handling things well.

Please let me know by return owl if you think this is a good idea. I have Harry's phone number, and my parents are willing to drive to Surrey to get him tomorrow afternoon if you give your approval.

Your student,

Hermione Granger

Hermione had hurried to the writing desk in her room as soon as she had come in the door, only stopping to make sure Crookshanks was settled in his favorite basket near the kitchen, and had been pondering what to say in the letter ever since. She had left her parents to bring in the luggage, for, to be honest; her side still did hurt when she tried to pick up anything heavy. Madam Pomfrey said that she would feel soreness for at least a month or so, but that things should get better over time. <Oh, if I ever see Dolohov again, I'll remember to do more than just a 'Silencio' on him! How could I have been so stupid? Didn't Harry warn us in our DA meetings? 'Never let down your guard when you suspect your opponent is still a threat!' Well, when he visits, I can finally apologize to Harry for not doing so well on our 'Practical DADA' exam from Dumbledore's Army. I mean, I ended up unconscious and barely alive. That probably rates a D at least, maybe even a T! Then, I can ask the 'professor' for some …remedial DADA lessons, since I did so horribly? Maybe even a detention is in order - it will be a lot more fun than a detention with Snape, that's for sure. I'm sure Harry wouldn't mind to arrange something while he's here. He's my best friend, after all. Now, wait a minute, where did that thought come from?>, she pondered. <When did I start thinking of Harry as my …my….best friend? What about Ginny, and Ron, and…?>

She looked into the mirror over her dresser, and started a dialogue she had been intentionally, deliberately, avoiding for a long time. <After the thoughts that were just running through your head when you were fantasizing about extra lessons and a detention with Harry, why are you kidding yourself, Hermione? For someone who's 'the cleverest witch of your age', as Lupin said, you sure are clueless when it comes to your own feelings sometimes. Or, is it denial? You've felt that way about Harry since your first year at Hogwarts, before you even met Ginny, and you know it. Just admit it to yourself and things will be a whole lot easier. And, besides, I think you're past the 'best friend' stage. You know you can't fool me! I know what you were thinking!>

With a sigh, and knowing she was right about what she had just admitted to herself, then blushing (again) as she struggled to get certain thoughts out of her mind, she rolled up the parchment, sealing it with a tap of her wand. <I'm glad that one of the privileges of being a prefect is the ability to do simple magic away from Hogwarts, as long as we are discreet about it. I'd hate to have to contact Professor Dumbledore using Muggle Post. Just think, this coming September I'll be of age, and then I can use magic when I need to. I wish Hedwig were here, but I'm sure Harry's forgotten to let her out of her cage. Now, what was that incantation to request an Owl Post pickup? Oh, yes…> "Strigiformes prevenire mihi!"

As soon as she said this, instead of seeing a regular postal owl she saw Hedwig's beautiful white plumage appear just outside her window. <What service! I've never had an owl show up that quickly before.> She let Harry's owl in, closed the window, and handed her some owl treats she had stored in her room. Hedwig hooted her thanks, and then stuck her leg out obediently. "Hedwig, I was just thinking how nice it would be if you showed up. How did you get here so quickly? I guess Harry did remember to let you out of your cage! He must be home, then. Oh, Hedwig! I'm writing Professor Dumbledore to ask if you and Harry could come visit here this summer. Would you like that? Do you think you could get this to him quickly so I can call Harry and make the arrangements? If he's already home, I want to get him out of that horrid place as quickly as possible."

Hedwig nipped affectionately at Hermione's cheek and looked into her eyes. Again, Hermione was certain that Hedwig would be in agreement if she could speak. "Okay, Hedwig; let me get this fastened to your leg. We wouldn't want this one to fall off, now, would we?"

If an owl could look slightly offended, Hermione thought, it would look just like Hedwig did then. She looked reproachfully at Hermione, as if to say that proper owls NEVER lose a mail delivery. Hermione grinned back. "Just kidding, Hedwig. I know you know what to do. It's just that I'm a bit worried about Harry, and the quicker I hear back from Professor Dumbledore and get Harry here, the happier I'll be."

<That's just great. Here I am, starting to admit my feelings to an owl! Harry's owl, especially! Oh, well, I'll have to get used to it. I'm sure if this keeps on going the way I hope, I'll be doing this a lot more frequently. Or, maybe everyone will figure it out for themselves when they see Harry and me together. That is, IF he feels the same way about me!>. Her smile faded. <What happens then? What happens if I invite Harry to come here and he says that he'd rather stay there? What if he tells me that he's not interested in seeing me until next September? > "Oh, Hedwig… that would be terrible!" This last part she said out loud; and Hedwig hopped over and looked in her eyes again. This time, it looked very much like the owl was trying to reassure her and calm her fears. "So, Hedwig, are you telling me that you know a secret or two about Harry's feelings? Hmm, wish I knew a way to read an owl's mind!" She cheered up quickly, and as she opened up the window again said "Okay, I promise to not worry about that until the time comes. But hurry, Hedwig! Get that to Professor Dumbledore!"

Since her back was to the bedroom door, Hermione didn't notice that her mother had come up behind her. She was bringing a plate of Hermione's favorite biscuits, along with some milk and tea. Mrs. Granger had been watching and listening as Hermione was tying the note to Hedwig's leg, so some of her questions were already answered. She cleared her throat and she thought for a moment that Hermione was going to jump out of her skin.

"Mum, please don't do that! You surprised me!" Hermione, slightly flustered, got up from her chair and noticed what her mother had in her hands. "Oh! These are my favorite biscuits! You baked them yourself, didn't you? I never get them at Hogwarts. Maybe I can give Dobby your recipe when I go back and he can make some for Har…everyone."

"Yes, dear," Mrs. Granger smiled. "I threw a batch together before we came to pick you up, let the dough sit while we were gone, and just now got them out of the oven. You know I rarely bake, what with there only being the two of us here most of the year and with our busy schedules. I know you love them, though, and I thought it would be nice for you to have when you got here. I was just bringing them up to your room when I heard you talking, and then you opened the window. Wasn't that Harry's owl I saw flying away? You used her to send Harry his birthday present a few years ago, didn't you?"

"That's right, mum. Hedwig is a great delivery owl. After I finished writing the note to Professor Dumbledore, I called for a postal owl, but I was wishing that Hedwig was around. Immediately, Hedwig was outside. It is almost like she heard me or something. I know Hedwig is not an ordinary owl, even in the wizarding world, but I had always thought that owls were only that connected to their master or mistress… and the immediate family… Hmmm…" Hermione's eyes widened and her blush deepened as the implications of what she had just said sunk in.

Mrs. Granger took that as a great opening. "Well, Hermione, that makes it a little bit easier for me to ask what I came to ask you. Pardon the bribe," she said, indicating the tray of biscuits, "but I…we, your father and I, that is, wanted to talk to you. Since you haven't been home all that much since then, going off to London most of last summer, not coming home for Christmas, and all that, I really miss having the chance to talk. You and I have always been able to share things as best friends and you've always been honest with me, so I'd like to hear what is going on between you, Ron, and Harry."

Hermione was definitely not expecting THAT name to come up. "Ron…? What does he have to do with anything, Mum? Ron's …Ron's the tall, red-haired brother that I never had! Why would you think there was something going on between him and me? That's nearly as crazy as thinking I'm interested in… oh, let's say…Viktor Krum! Ron's a great friend of Harry's, and the three of us do spend a lot of time together, I suppose…" ,she paused for a moment, "…but not so much this past year, now that I think about it. Ron's been busy with Quidditch tryouts, practices, and games, and ever since Harry was banned from playing by…well, never mind about that…(a certain face had just come into mind, followed immediately by a flash of anger crossing Hermione's face) we've just done more things as a pair this year. Honestly, I wasn't all that fussed about Harry not having to worry so much about Quidditch. You know I've never been all that fond of sports, and Harry had a lot more time to concentrate on his studies during our O.W.L. year without that distraction."

Her mother wasn't fooled. "That's an interesting story, my dear. I seem to remember you having quite a different attitude in the past about Quidditch, at least in the letters we've received over the years. You were always telling us things like how scary it was when Harry almost got thrown off his broom during first year, and your handwriting was VERY shaky when you wrote us after Harry did fall off his broom and ended up in the hospital wing during your third year. I also seem to recall running commentaries about how brave Harry was whenever he caught the…snitch, is it… - after every match. I could show you a few letters you wrote that start out 'HARRY WON!' Not, 'Gryffindor won', mind you, but Harry! So, don't try to pull that 'not fond of sports…' stuff on me. I wasn't born yesterday, you know!" she said with a grin.

"But, back to what I asked you. We both got the distinct impression from another letter you wrote two Christmases ago after that fancy ball that Ron may have just started feeling some…stirrings of interest, shall we say, and that you may have started thinking about your feelings for him then? I ask again, what is happening between the three of you? I take it from your reaction a minute ago that Ron's not in the picture, at least in that way. We've always been able to talk opently about what's on your mind in the past, so, just what are your feelings?

Hermione groaned inwardly. <Oh, great, I just started to admit things to myself a few minutes ago, and now my parents want to know what is going on. Well, better drum up some of that Gryffindor courage I'm supposed to have, and give it a go! > She mentally braced herself, and started in. "Well, mum, I'm not quite sure yet. You're right. I did think some about Ron for a while, because I had read something about 'opposites attracting'. I also heard someone say that Ron and I - who are about as opposite as you can get - sound like an old married couple when we fight. The more I thought about it, though, the less I wanted to spend my life in a relationship based on yelling and arguing. I saw how you and Daddy have never argued that way, at least in front of me, and my dream has always been to have that kind of relationship when the time comes." Mrs. Granger's face relaxed into a knowing smile as Hermione finished, "I was having this very discussion with myself about Harry after I finished the letter just now."

Hermione had lapsed into silence for a moment. She had just felt…something…when she thought of Harry's name. It was a brief flash of intense pain that just as quickly disappeared. <That's not good! I shouldn't be feeling pain when I think of Harry. Wonder what that's all about.>

"And, what did you decide during this discussion?" Mrs. Granger prompted, realizing that her daughter was off in another world.

"Well, let's see if I can explain this without getting too embarrassed." Hermione started in, and as she spoke, it became easier to continue. "I realized just now, as I thought about the possibility of him coming to visit me, just how much I was looking forward to seeing him, without anyone else around. I mean, when we're at Hogwarts, he's always got other things on his mind. Quidditch, Ron, Voldemort trying to kill him, and maybe even a little schoolwork now and then…" (She grinned to herself at this - he had done much better this past year with his studies, especially after she gave him the homework planner at Christmas. She knew he probably wanted to burn it at first, but eventually she saw him using it before the term was over.)

"Earth to Hermione….you did it again. Honestly, am I ever going to get a complete thought out of you? I admit, these pauses are quite informative as to the answer to my question, but I'd like you to at least complete your sentence before you go to your happy place!" Mrs. Granger was smiling fondly at her daughter. She remembered feeling the same way about a certain young man about 18 years ago, herself. But, it was still different seeing it happening to her only child. <She's really not my little girl anymore, is she? I'm really the mother of a beautiful young woman now. Where has the time gone? Now, I'm off in my own world, too! I'm just as bad as she is!> Mrs. Granger thought.

"Now, you were saying something about Harry and schoolwork? If you think of him at the same time as your studies, you must have it pretty bad," she teased.

"Mum, stop it! You're not making this any easier," Hermione giggled. "My…happy place? I swear that my face is going to be permanently stuck this color. Well, where was I? Okay, anyway, I just would like him to have a chance to get away from all that, and just have some time with no pressures. If he were here, he wouldn't be 'The Boy Who Lived'; he could just be Harry, a regular boy who is getting ready to turn 16 next month. Even if that is all he gets out of a visit here, I think that would help him more than anything I could do for him. And, just maybe, I could do something else for…"

At that very moment, she felt, no, she heard, Harry's voice in her head. <HERMIONE, I NEED YOU!">, he yelled, and then, as quickly as before, it was gone. The next thing she knew, she was looking up at the ceiling of her bedroom.

"Hermione, what's wrong?" her mother sounded quite scared. "Your eyes just flashed green, and then they rolled up in your head for a second before you fell back on your bed. Are you okay? What just happened?"

"I…I…,"she sputtered, as her eyes focused again, her legs so wobbly that she couldn't stand up. "I don't…I can't explain it. I've never experienced anything like that before… It's Harry, Mum. I think he's in some sort of trouble! He just called for me…in my head. He said he needed me. I need to talk to him right now! Where is the telephone? Mum, help me get up!" she said as once again she fell back onto her bed.

"Now, wait just a minute, Hermione Jane Granger!" her mother spoke forcefully, in full protective mother mode. "You have just turned white as a sheet and nearly passed out, you tell me that you are hearing Harry in your head, and you want me to stand you on your feet when you can't even stop your legs from shaking? Let's think about this first. I promise I'll help you, but I need to know what just happened! Now, slowly, let's take it from the top. Catch your breath and calm down. First, how do you know it was Harry that you heard just now?"

Hermione answered as soon as she had enough strength to speak again, "Honestly, Mother! Don't you think I recognize his voice by now after all these years? No, it was definitely Harry, and he is in trouble. Please, let me just check to see if he is okay? I've got the Dursley's phone number over on my desk. Can you help me get to the phone downstairs? Oh, why don't you have a phone on this floor! I have to help him. He needs me, Mother!"

Mrs. Granger, when she looked in her daughter's eyes at that moment, and heard the tone in her voice, learned all that she needed to know to answer her questions about her daughter's feelings for Harry. She sensed a mixture of the protectiveness of a mother lioness watching over her cubs and the love of an adult woman for her mate. She had seen it before on rare occasions, but never as strongly as she just saw it in her nearly seventeen year old daughter. As she bent down to help Hermione to her feet, placing her daughter's arm on her shoulder for support as they moved slowly towards the stairs to go to the telephone in the kitchen, she thought once again, <Why does my daughter have to grow up so fast? Why does she have to face the terrors and trials that have matured her before her time? Why doesn't she get a normal childhood? Not that she's ever BEEN normal…> she chuckled to herself.

By the time they made the trip together to the bottom of the stairs, Hermione's was able to walk more steadily, so she hurried unaided to the kitchen phone. She dialed the Dursley's number, then she heard an automated voice saying that the number she dialed had been disconnected. She tried again, making sure that she dialed the number correctly, with the same result.

Hermione's frustration was starting to build. "The phone company says the number is disconnected. That can't be right! Maybe Harry didn't give me his real phone number…Maybe he never wanted me to call, so he gave me the wrong number!"

"Hermione, don't be silly. You're starting to hyperventilate, and I don't want you to black out again," her mother said firmly. By this time, Mr. Granger had come into the room from his study after hearing Hermione's panic attack. Crookshanks had also climbed out of his basket and was walking in circles around Hermione, obviously agitated by the emotional state he sensed his mistress was in.

"What's wrong with Hermione, dear? What's this about hyperventilating? She blacked out? What is going on?" he demanded, wanting to know why his normally calm wife and daughter were standing in the kitchen with a scared look on both of their faces.

"Love, I can't explain right now except to say that Hermione needs to call Harry right away and she can't seem to get through. Could you see what you can do? I've got to take care of her." Mrs. Granger said, as she grabbed a nearby chair and pushed Hermione into it. Hermione was still staring at the handset of the phone, as if she could will it to connect to the Dursley's home in Surrey.

Mr. Granger gently pried her fingers loose from the phone. "Let your old dad take care of it, dearest. What's the number? I'll get through to them for you." Hermione had the presence of mind to hand her father the paper with the Dursley's address and phone number on it. He dialed carefully, and he frowned as he heard the same disconnect message from the phone system. "Well, that didn't work," he said, while Hermione let out a rattling sob, "let me try the operator and see if there is a problem with the lines." He rang up the operator, and asked to be connected to Vernon Dursley in Little Whinging, Surrey. "Yes, that's right, number four, Privet Drive." A pause. "Are you sure? Just this morning, you say? Do you have a new number for them?" Another pause. "Yes, I will check back later. Thank you, Goodbye."

"This is peculiar," he said to his wife and daughter. "The operator says that the Dursley's phone was disconnected first thing this morning, and they have not yet requested new service. They said that we can call back later and see if a reconnection order has been entered, although it is not their policy to give out new addresses or phone numbers in an attempt to protect the privacy of their customers."

Hermione, still breathing heavily, started to lose control again. "We need to contact Dumbledore…or someone in the Order. They need to know that Harry is in trouble!" But, before she could do anything else, her head seemed to split open with pain. Before she lost consciousness this time, she was sure that she had heard a vaguely familiar female voice saying "CRUCIO!"

*

*

*

"Hermione…Hermione, please wake up!" She felt a cool, damp, cloth pressed against her head, and realized that her mother was speaking to her while her father was holding her hand, with Crookshanks meowing loudly as he paced around the room.

As her vision returned slowly, she recognized that she was lying on the sofa next to the picture window in her father's study adjacent to the kitchen. The sky seemed to be a bit darker outside, so she assumed she had been knocked out for a while. "Wha…What happened?" she managed to choke out. "How did I get here…? I was in the kitchen just now. Where's Harry? I need to talk to him…He's in trouble…I need to get to him…quickly." She tried to rise, but found she was not strong enough to stand yet.

"Amazing," a familiar, kindly voice spoke, "I seem to remember a very similar situation with another young Gryffindor waking up after a magical shock to his system at the end of his first year. At that time, I couldn't seem to distract Harry from his, shall we say, 'obsession', either. Miss Granger, I promise you we will get to the bottom of this as quickly as we can. But, I must ask you to calm yourself before you worry your parents, and me, any more. You've experienced a painful upset to your mind, and I need you to cooperate. Here, have some Honeydukes chocolate now that you are awake. I always keep some on hand for just such an occasion."

"Professor…Dumbledore!" Hermione gasped as she took a bite of the chocolate he offered to her. "But, how… did you…I mean, why…what is happening to Harry? Did you get my message? Why are you here?" As she swallowed, her entire body seemed to warm up from the effects of the chocolate and she rapidly regained her normal speech.

"Slowly, Miss Granger, slowly," Dumbledore said calmly. "I realize that time is of the essence here, but I will not have you lose consciousness again. Your mind is rather unsettled right now, and I don't want to have to revive you again. Let the chocolate have a chance to finish its work, while I get you up to speed on what has happened in the past…two minutes that you have been out…hmm, that's odd…," he said, consulting his twelve-handed pocket watch. "First, instead of what happened on the other occasion that I mentioned just now, I actually did get your owl. Although, as happened previously, I had already had a feeling that I needed to be elsewhere. Fortunately for all concerned, I was not too far from here, having business at the Ministry today regarding some, shall we say, miscreants that I had apprehended there recently. And, when Hedwig found me and gave me your letter, I realized that where I needed to be was here at your home. I came here as soon as I could break away. Although, I must admit, I didn't expect to see you on the floor of your kitchen, obviously under the influence of a remote Cruciatus Curse!"

"A…what?" all three of the Grangers exclaimed simultaneously. The elder Grangers because they didn't know what he were talking about, and Hermione because she had some idea.

"But, sir…how is that possible?" Hermione asked, her voice still a bit strained. No one in the house except me even knows what a Cruciatus Curse is, and I promise I didn't use it on myself! I didn't even know Crucio could be cast…remotely, did you say? And, who would be trying to curse me here, anyway? Does this have something to do with Harry?" She was rapidly losing control again, words coming out faster and faster as she spoke.

"Miss Granger, what did I just say to you? Here, have a larger piece of chocolate, while I try to answer your insightful questions. For, if we knew the answer to all of them, I think we would be able to do something productive about the situation we find ourselves in currently. First, a remote Cruciatus Curse is not something that is cast, per se. It is, instead, a rare side effect that is seen when a person who is attacked by a Cruciatus Curse is in close mental contact with another person. Depending on the power of both the Cruciatus that is cast, and the strength of the connection between the two parties, the distance separating them, and many other factors, the secondary person is affected much like the intended target. This is similar to why Harry's scar hurt whenever Tom cast a Cruciatus Curse in the past. By the way, Hermione, you have seen another sad example of this effect. Do you remember your visit to St. Mungo's last Christmas holiday?"

"You mean Neville's parents? The Longbottoms? Oh, that's right, they were cursed too, weren't they - by the Lestranges and… Barty Crouch, Jr., if I remember what Harry told me? But, what exactly happened to them?" Hermione asked, again in control of her self. The second piece of chocolate had turned the trick.

"You know, of course, that Frank and Alice Longbottom were trained Aurors, members of the original Order of the Phoenix, and, obviously, a married couple," Dumbledore explained. "Over the years, we have learned that certain Auror pairs can develop a bond between them that is useful in their unique line of work. The pair has to be extremely compatible mentally, magically, and spiritually for this to work, The Muggles refer to it as being 'soul mates.' The bond is more than that, of course, but that gives you the general idea. These pairs can, with training, diffuse the power of many curses between the two of them, thus rendering an opponent's best spell less than half as powerful. We have found that these couples instinctively seek their counterpart's mind when they are in danger, and thereby defend each other through their partnership." Albus's eyes twinkled merrily as he said this, looking into Hermione's eyes with a smile. A small "Oh..."of recognition escaped her lips as she realized what he had just said.

Before she could react further, he continued, and the twinkle quickly left him. "Unfortunately, this bond, which is nearly impossible to break once fully established, has a negative effect when certain dark spells are involved. Specifically, as you are no doubt figuring out, the Unforgivable Curses. Imperius, Cruciatus, and, we assume, the Killing Curse, all resonate within the bond and it ends up adversely affecting both parties. Again, if the pair is separated by a distance, the resonance within the pair is reduced, but the effect is still there."

"Soon after Tom's first defeat," he related, "Frank and Alice had received a tip from an unknown source, and were attempting to capture a group of Death Eaters. When they got to the reported location, they found it was a trap and they were captured by the Lestranges, most likely aided by Crouch Jr. and possibly other wizards. We do think that Barty was the one that provided the tip that baited the trap. After the Longbottoms were captured, the Death Eaters started torturing them for information about Tom's location. Bellatrix, while not aware of the cause, noticed that as they cast spells on one of them in an effort to get them to tell where Tom was, the other one was reacting to the curse, but with a reduction in power on both of them."

Albus took a deep breath before continuing. "Being a student of the dark arts, having learned her skills from Tom himself, Bellatrix conducted a rather perverse experiment on the two of them. She, her husband, and Barty, most likely, tried different spells of increasing power and darkness on each of them in turn, and then observed the results over a period of days, with different distances separating them, and so forth. She was very thorough, I must say. By the time she finished her series of increasingly depraved and disgusting tortures, she had observed the compounding effect through the bond of the Unforgivable Curses with first, Imperius, and finally, Crucio. We were finally able to break in to where they were working and capture the Lestranges before she finished her experiments, we assume with an Avada Kedavra. It was, as was brought out during the sentencing, 'a most heinous crime'. Barty Jr. was not present at the time we found them, he was with another group of Death Eaters we caught soon thereafter, and that is why there was some doubt as to his actual involvement. But, I'm still not sure if we did them a favor by rescuing them when we did. It may have been a greater kindness to let them die, after what they had been through." As he finished this last sentence, there was bitterness in Albus' voice that he didn't try to hide.

The three Grangers, along with Crookshanks, remained silent during this terrible explanation. Tears were in all the human's eyes, and even Crookshanks seemed subdued when Dumbledore finished. "But, Professor…how…how did you know all of this? Surely the Longbottoms weren't able to tell you what happened to them, were they? Did Bellatrix tell you all of this for some perverse reason?" Hermione asked, in a very small, shaky voice, not really wanting to know the answer.

"As I said, Hermione," Albus answered quietly, in a detached voice. It was obvious that he was not relishing reliving what he was about to say. "Bellatrix was quite thorough in her experimentation. She very accurately recorded her findings, and we were easily able to reconstruct the sequence of events. Also, during her trial before she was sentenced, we forcefully used a Pensieve on her to verify that the facts recorded in her logbook actually occurred. As Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, it was my unpleasant responsibility to document the details of what happened from her own memories in the Pensieve and testify to them in court, because she was a very uncooperative witness. Many of the council were unable to stay in the courtroom through my entire stay on the stand. I admit, I would have preferred to be elsewhere, myself. As it was, the trial took its toll on many wizard families, including the Crouch family, as Hermione is well aware."

After a moment, Mr. Granger spoke up, his voice quite unsteady. "But, I don't understand, Albus. What does this…this…terrible story you have told us have to do with my daughter?"

"That, my dear sir, is what we have to find out," Dumbledore said with a soft sigh, his eyes mostly closed.

Hermione noticed that he looked extremely drained and…old, somehow. She had never really thought about how many evil things her headmaster had seen in his long life, having defeated one Dark Lord many years before, being actively involved in the rise, fall, and reappearance of another one, and she could tell now that it was starting to take its toll on him.

"Miss Granger, can you tell us what has happened since Moody and company finished talking to Harry's family at King's Cross Station this afternoon? I have a full report up until that point from Tonks. And, yes, I did have a little to do with the 'reception committee', as you referred to the Auror team in your letter. Actually, I had to turn down a number of volunteers from the Order for that assignment. I felt that the team I assembled, along with you, Miss Granger, would be quite effective to achieve my intended purposes. And, from reading Tonks' and your reports, the desired effect was obtained." The twinkle was starting to return to his eyes, but it would be a while before he would be back to his normally cheerful self.

"Well, Professor, after they left, Mrs. Weasley hugged him, and Ron said that we'd see him soon and left with his mother. Harry looked so lost and forlorn standing there, that I tried to reassure him as to what Ron had said before he left. I said "Really soon, Harry, we promise."

At this, Dumbledore's eyebrows rose slightly, but he simply said, "Go on, Miss Granger."

Hermione continued with her narrative, "Well, then Harry went off towards the car park, with the Dursleys following. Vernon kept on looking back at Moody, and he also seemed to look back at me a few times with a very unpleasant look on his face. I promised myself when I saw him looking at me that I would take care of things if I found out Harry was harmed while he was there."

Now, Albus' mustache began to twitch noticeably.

"By this time, my parents and I were walking towards a different section of the car park, and I told them some of what was going on with Harry at the station. As we were getting ready to leave, we heard a very loud car speed out of the car park. I can only assume that was Vernon driving like a maniac, now that I think about it. We didn't see the car, so they must have gone out a different way towards Surrey, since we live in the opposite direction. As we were driving home, among other things, we started discussing Harry's situation at the Dursley's, and that is when my parents were kind enough to invite him to spend some time with us over the summer. I said I thought it would be best to check with you first, which is why I sent the letter you received. As my mother and I were talking in my room about Harry, I remember feeling an intense twinge of pain that was there for just a second, and then it was gone."

Albus sat up straighter at this, but still kept quiet.

"Hermione, you didn't say anything about that to me, dear," her mother spoke up, "when did that happen? Oh, I remember, your face went blank for a second. I thought it was because of the subject matter we were discussing then. Sorry, sweetheart, please go on."

Hermione's blush had started to return as she remembered what they had been talking about, but she kept going. "Not too long after that, I heard Harry's voice, as clearly as if he were in the same room. He said, "HERMIONE, I NEED YOU!" Then, my mother told me that my eyes flashed green and rolled up in my head for a second. I guess I fell back on the bed then, and I couldn't see straight and my legs were quite wobbly. I convinced my mum to get me to a phone so I could call the Dursleys to see if he was okay, and my dad eventually found out that they had disconnected their telephone service just this morning. As we were deciding our next steps and my parents were trying to calm me down, I remember hearing a woman's voice casting the Cruciatus Curse, and the next thing I knew, I was on my back on this couch. And, you were here for the rest of it," she said with a slight grin.

"Very impressive, Miss Granger. You have a detailed memory, especially under the circumstances," Albus said with a smile. "It appears that I am correct in two of my initial assumptions. First, I am certain you have created a binding magical contract by promising to Harry what you did with the emotions behind it that you did. Even though you said 'we' promise, it's obvious that you really meant 'I' promise. And then, when you followed up with a promise to protect him at the Dursleys, I'm sure that confirmed it. That contract, in conjunction with the 'soul-mate' bond between you that has been building for almost 6 years now, has enabled the link between you to grow to the point that you can no longer ignore it. I assume that you have been somewhat uncharacteristically 'emotional' since the bond established itself today, am I correct?"

Both Mrs. Granger and Hermione nodded emphatically at this, and Dumbledore smiled knowingly. "Minerva and I independently sensed that you were extremely compatible with Harry the first time we saw you together, so I am not surprised at this turn of events. Secondly, Harry appears to be under attack by at least one female Death Eater, and I don't think you'll have too much trouble figuring out who is the prime suspect."

Mr. Granger groaned. "Not…that…creature, the one you told us about just now, Albus? Lestrange, wasn't that the name? She's attacking Hermione? You have to -" His voice was very strained, and it was becoming obvious that he was about to say something that would not help the situation.

"And Harry, too, dear," Mrs. Granger interjected before her husband had a chance to start demanding things. "From what I gathered from Albus' story, Harry is getting the worst of it. I mean, he must be closer to the source, mustn't he?"

"That is correct, Mrs. Granger," Albus said, appreciating her instincts regarding her husband's increasingly fragile emotional state and her deftness at nipping it in the bud. "Hermione, can you feel Harry's mind right now? See if you can concentrate on the link that exists between the two of you. It is very important if you can tell us what Harry is feeling so we know how much time we have to find him before things get worse."

"I'll try, Professor," Hermione said timidly, "but since I don't know exactly what I am concentrating on, I'm not sure I will be able to. How do I know if I'm actually in contact?"

"Miss Granger," Dumbledore said in a calm voice. "…don't you think you recognize his voice by now after all these years?" Both the Granger women looked surprised, and then a smile slowly crossed both of their faces as they remembered their earlier discussion.

"Okay, Professor, now I know what to listen for…" Hermione said, as she closed her eyes and concentrated. Soon, she was saying, more to herself than anyone else, "Harry… Harry… I need to know where you are. Please, Harry, talk to me again… HARRY! PROFESSOR… HE'S AWAKE…JUST NOW! I CAN FEEL HIM."

"Miss Granger, we are right here," Dumbledore said with a wince. "I assure you, my hearing is quite adequate, even as old as I am. And, I daresay Crookshanks and your parents are also able to hear when you speak in normal tones, since we are all in the same room. Besides, you don't want to overload the connection with him. I assume it is still forming and it can be somewhat fragile. Now, what is it Harry is feeling?"

"Sorry, Professor. I've just never done this before and it's…well, you've probably heard from your staff and the students just how I get when I learn a new wizarding skill. It's just so, exciting… Oh, there I go again," she grinned. "Let's see, now…" Hermione mused, closing her eyes and focusing once again on establishing the link with Harry. "…he's still quite groggy, I assume from the two Cruciatus Curses he has received so close together. I can feel that he is still in some pain, which is understandable. He's telling himself… not to do something again. Okay, he's getting a bit more alert, and…calm. All of a sudden, his mind calmed down. Maybe he can sense me or something. What?…for some reason, he's thinking of…Vincent Crabbe? That makes no sense. Why would he be thinking about him? Vincent Crabbe, with a baby head…and… Oh…now he's listening, thinking about something… he's a bit worried about what he's hearing, but he's still groggy, though. It's hard to sort it all out….now he's definitely feeling threatened by something…11 years old?…no, not my memory!…he's being picked up…no, no, not in there again…I can't go back in there….NO!... NO! HERMIONE!"

"STUPEFY!" Albus yelled, his wand out, and Hermione slumped back onto the couch, stunned into oblivion once again.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY DAUGHTER?" Mr. Granger said, grabbing Albus' wand arm. He immediately fell to the floor, stiff as a board. Mrs. Granger shrieked, reached as if to grab Albus' robes, and she, too, joined her husband on the floor. Crookshanks, however, blinked his eyes and sat down next to his mistress, slowly rubbing his head against her limp hand as it lay on the edge of the sofa.