Unofficial Portkey Archive

Keeping A Promise by MapleMountain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Keeping A Promise

MapleMountain

Chapter 41 - Hermione Squared

(A/N - This chapter title has been in my head since this plot bunny originally invaded my brain. Hope you like it…the chapter, that is.)

"I knew it!" yelled Ron, punching the air. "They didn't do anything when you blew up your Aunt, how could you not be cleared of defending yourself against dementors?"

Hermione, of course, had known his good news immediately through their bond, but Harry had asked her to keep it quiet until he and Mr. Weasley returned from the hearing. They had already agreed that it wasn't a good idea to let everyone in on the details of their connection. They knew that it was a very personal, private gift they shared, and truth be told they were still getting used to it themselves. Also, they realized if they kept it quiet, Tom Riddle and the Death Eaters (<Hmmm…sounds like a bad rock and roll band name, doesn't it?> Hermione thought to Harry one day) would be more likely to underestimate his opponent's resources and abilities.

Hermione, acting the role of the worried girlfriend that Harry had asked her to perform, looked positively faint with anxiety when Harry had entered the kitchen and was now holding a shaking hand over her eyes. "There was no case against you, none at all…" <How'd I do, Harry…did I sound worried enough?> she asked through their link.

<You did great, 'Mione…I'll give you your acting award later. Hope you'll like it!> he responded. To the assembled residents of Grimmauld Place, he said, "Everyone seems quite relieved, though, considering they all knew I'd get off" said Harry, smiling.

Mrs. Weasley was wiping her face on her apron, and Fred, George, and Ginny were doing a kind of war dance to a chant that went "He got off, he got off, he got off -"

*****

"Course, once Dumbledore turned up on your side, there was no way they were going to convict you," said Ron happily, now dishing great mounds of mashed potatoes onto everyone's plates.

"Yeah, I admit he swung it for me, and I do appreciate it," said Harry. "Funny thing, though. For a second there I knew…or remembered…he was trying to avoid me…but I wasn't about to let that happen. I made sure I got a chance to talk to him for a moment. Hermione, I got the distinct impression from our conversation today that he's going to want to meet with us our first evening back." Harry, who was working on controlling what Hermione could sense through the bond, had successfully kept that scene from her. He really wasn't looking forward to a lecture on proper respect to his elders from Hermione, considering his feelings for the headmaster were still quite confused.

"Oooh…what do you think it's about? Does it have something to do with being a prefect? Someone should be getting their badges soon, don't you think, Harry?"

"Oh, I'm certain of it…" he said, grinning.

"HE GOT OFF; HE GOT OFF: HE GOT OFF -"

"SHUT UP!" roared Mrs. Weasley.

****

As he welcomed Miss Puckle into his office where Minerva was already seated for their late-night meeting that same evening, Harmony said to him with a grin on her face, "Well, Albus, I DID warn you, you know! Harry's not about to roll over and let things happen the same way they did last time now that his memories are starting to return. I assume he's also asked you to reconsider him instead of Ron for the prefect position?"

Dumbledore sighed. "Yes, Harmony, you did warn me…and he did ask. As soon as you awoke the day the dementors attacked, and you told me what you had felt when you regained consciousness, I was already resigned to the fact that there would be changes coming. Then, when I heard from Molly that Hermione had collapsed at exactly the same time, it confirmed to me that Bella's memory block had been completely removed from his mind. Apparently, as the soul-bond is continuing to grow, he seems to be drawing magical power from first one, then the other of you in times of great emotional stress, either positive or negative. When Harry removed Hermione's block that day at King's Cross after she kissed him on the cheek, it appears that your mind was overloaded by this outburst of magical energy."

Albus stopped for a moment as he considered what he had just said, but then he continued. "However interesting that information may prove, our more pressing problem is how we deal with Harry's newly recovered memories and the logical consequences that knowledge will bring. As you know, he has demanded a meeting after the welcoming feast between Hermione, himself, and all of those he holds responsible for what happened to him last year. While I am sure that he will express his displeasure with me during that meeting, my greater fear is that your 'secret identity' will not be secret from our two soon-to-be Gryffindor Prefects for too much longer."

Minerva nodded her head. "I'm actually surprised he hasn't already realized that your very existence is an anomaly. However, I chalk it all up to the fact that your younger self is keeping him otherwise occupied, if Molly's reports of their behavior are accurate." She winked at Harmony as she continued. "Yes, sometimes a young woman's very presence can be a welcome distraction to a young man in turmoil. Oh, I'm sorry, my dear. I'm being insensitive, aren't I? Please forgive me, Harmony."

Miss Puckle's eyes had started to glisten with tears as she thought about just what Hermione was doing to "distract" Harry. But, at McGonagall's apology, she shook her head and said, "No, Minerva, I'm just being unnecessarily jealous…of myself, mind you!" She continued to speak, but soon it was obvious to Albus and Minerva that Harmony was no longer talking to them as her memories, long stifled by personal choice, began to surface. "It's just difficult to think about sometimes…to realize that if I had only been a little less shy during the original time loop, I could have experienced what she has with him now…I mean, who knew that Harry wouldn't reject me if I asked? I guess I'm mostly upset with myself for not trying harder. At the time, I was confused…there were always Ron's feelings to consider, and then Viktor Krum's attentions distracted me for a while…but, through it all, there was Harry. From that first day on the train, I was drawn as if by a magnet to his compartment. I had, of course, read all about him and knew that we would be starting Hogwarts at the same time…but to see him, sitting there, looking so lost and confused…my heart went out to him right away. Of course, since I had my "bossy bookworm" self-image to maintain, I could not admit my feelings to myself then, or for some time after. That all changed, though, when a foolhardy young man jumped on the back of a fully grown mountain troll with no real plan except to try somehow to save my life…MY life…the life of someone who hadn't been all that kind to him previously. I knew then, even before Ron remembered the levitation spell that Harry would be someone important to me from that moment on. Little could I imagine just how true that is…and how much that knowledge would cost me."

"Do you regret it?" Albus asked, quietly.

The tears flowed freely down Harmony's face as she answered with all the fervor she possessed, "Not for one minute, sir. And, no matter what happens to me, I promise I never will."

As she said these words, a bright glow surrounded her, bathing Dumbledore's office in a soft, warm light. Unobserved (except by two owls), this same phenomenon was repeated in two adjacent bedrooms at number 12, Grimmauld Place.

*****

On the very last day of the holidays Harry was sweeping up Hedwig's owl droppings from the top of the wardrobe when Ron entered his bedroom carrying a couple of envelopes.

"Booklists have arrived," he said, throwing one of the envelopes up to Harry, who was standing on a chair. "About time, I thought they'd forgotten, they usually come much earlier than this…"

Harry swept the last of the droppings into a rubbish bag and threw the bag over Ron's head into the wastepaper basket in the corner, which swallowed it and belched loudly. He then opened his letter: It contained three pieces of parchment: the usual start of term reminder, the booklist, another letter…and something else that felt hard in the envelope. <Very wise decision, Headmaster…I was hoping you would see things my way this time. Better act surprised...hey, maybe I'll let Ron find out first…> he thought as he nonchalantly put the letter down where Ron would most likely pick it up.

Ron, however, was busy reading the list. "The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5, by Miranda Goshawk and Defensive Magical Theory, by Wilbert Slinkhard.

Crack.

Fred and George Apparated right beside Harry. He was so used to them doing this by now in the two timelines that he scarcely noticed.

"We were just wondering who assigned the Slinkhard book," said Fred conversationally.

"Because it means Dumbledore's found a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," said George.

"And about time too," said Fred.

Harry, of course, was already quite aware of the identity of the new DADA professor, said nothing. Ever since his memories associated with that creature resurfaced, he had been planning what he would do to make sure this time around, things would be different. "What d'you mean?" he said, trying to sound like he knew nothing about this.

"Well, we overheard Mum and Dad talking on the Extendable Ears a few weeks back," Fred told Harry, "and from what they were saying, Dumbledore was having real trouble finding anyone to do the job this year."

"Not surprising, is it, when you look at what's happened to the last four?" said George.

"One sacked for no reason, one eaten in the forest, one's memory…and something else, removed…" all of the boys winced instinctively at the thought of exactly what had happened to Gilderoy, "…and one locked in a trunk for nine months," said Harry, counting them off on his fingers. "Yeah, I see what you mean."

By now, Ron had noticed that Harry's Hogwarts letter looked different than his. "What's this, Harry? There's something in there besides the booklist…it's…"

"What's up with you, Ron?" asked Fred.

In a voice that sounded slightly disappointed as he held up Harry's letter, Ron said, "Looks like Harry's made prefect."

"Prefect?" Fred said. "Prefect?"

George leaped forward, seized the envelope in Ron's other hand, and turned it upside down. Harry saw something scarlet and gold fall into George's palm.

"That's great, Harry!" George said with enthusiasm.

"We were sure you were a cert!" said Fred as he clapped Harry on the back.

"We knew Dumbledore was bound to pick you!" said George, as he grinned widely and handed the badge to Harry.

The door banged open. Hermione came tearing into the room, her cheeks flushed and her hair flying. There was an envelope in her hand. Harry had worked very hard to not let her know this secret in advance. He really enjoyed seeing the joy on her face after being surprised.

"Did you - did you get -?"

She spotted the badge in Harry's hand and let out a shriek.

"I knew it!" she said excitedly, brandishing her letter. "Me too, Harry…me too!"

"Yes, I figured as much - in fact, I could have guaranteed it!" said Harry, smiling at her genuine happiness that he could both see and feel through the bond. As everyone congratulated him, he sensed that Ron was only participating half-heartedly. "What's wrong, Ron?"

"Yeah, ickle Ronniekins! You're not jealous, are you? Fred said. "Surely you didn't think you would ever be a prefect!" He and George looked at their brother, and started to laugh. "That's a good one…we've got to go tell Sirius about that. Ron…a prefect?" they continued to laugh as they left the room.

"Ron?" said Hermione, tentatively. "Is that true…what the twins said?"

"Honestly, Hermione, you must be barking mad to think I would want to be a prefect…" Harry noticed that his ears were turning bright red as he looked away from her. He shook Harry's hand quickly and said, "Anyway, mate, congratulations…well done, and all that. Please excuse me, I've got to start packing for school." as he dashed from the room.

Harry felt a slight twinge of guilt as he watched Ron leave. < Oh, no…I recognize that look of his - red ears and all. But, why would he be upset? Surely he wasn't hoping he would be prefect all along? Well…I'll talk to him about it later. Even better, I just thought of a few things I can do to cheer him up…I'll have Hedwig run some errands for me in a bit.>

"HARRY!" said Hermione, as she gave him a big hug and a quick kiss now that they were alone. "Can you believe it? We're both prefects! It will be so fun this year…the two of us, working together." Then, she remembered something else. "And, with our…well, special connection, we'll be able to keep in touch whenever we are patrolling the castle. That will give us quite an advantage, you know…"

"In what way, Hermione?" Harry said.

"Well…if we're on patrol, and we come across a couple…well, inspecting a broom closet or something, we can…"

"…chase them out …and then, we can finish up their inspection…together!" Harry finished for her.

"Exactly my thought, Harry…which isn't a surprise, now is it?!" she said, grinning cheekily at her boyfriend. "Oh, Harry, could I borrow Hedwig so I can tell Mum and Dad? They'll be really pleased - I mean, prefect is something they can understand -"

"Sure, Hermione - I was just going to get her and send her on a few errands for me. She'll be glad to drop your letter off while she's out. However, I must warn you, Miss Granger. There's a fee associated with the use of my owl," he said, waggling his eyebrows at her.

"And, what, pray tell, would that fee be, Mr. Potter?" Hermione answered coyly.

"Well, I'm sure we can think of a reasonable payment…something along the lines of a follow up to your Romeo and Juliet lesson, maybe? I haven't rehearsed that scene for quite some time now…and I'm sure I could use a little coaching."

"Hmmm…well, I suppose I could pay that fee…as long as you guarantee results."

"Oh, Hedwig's never failed me yet," he said proudly.

As she cast a locking spell on the door, Hermione answered in a sultry voice that sent chills down Harry's spine. "I wasn't talking about Hedwig…"

****

Soon thereafter, Harry and Hermione, looking quite flushed but very pleased with themselves over their successful "rehearsal", went to their respective bedrooms to write individual notes for Hedwig to deliver. After they sent the owl off, they went down to the basement, where Mrs. Weasley had hung a scarlet banner over the heavily laden dinner table, which now read CONGRATULATIONS HARRY AND HERMIONE - NEW PREFECTS.

<That's much better…and, I'll make it up to Ron, I promise. I'm sure he'll be quite pleased when he finds out what I've done...> Harry thought.

*****

As a result of the shock caused by seeing his parents in Moody's photograph, not to mention him witnessing the various forms that Molly's boggart had taken, Harry had a troubled night's sleep. His parents wove in and out of his dreams, never speaking; Mrs. Weasley sobbed over Kreacher's dead body while he and Hermione, wearing crowns, watched silently. For a moment, he started to dream about walking down a corridor ending in a locked door…until he remembered…and, without giving it another thought he blocked that memory from his mind. <Not this time, Tom…I'm on to you. You're not going to trap me that way again!>

He awoke to find Ron in his room, already dressed, with a big smile on his face. "Look what I got, Harry!" he said, holding out a brand new Cleansweep Eleven. "Mum said it was delivered by messenger early this morning - the letter that came with it said something about me winning a random drawing. Funny, I don't remember entering a drawing for a new broom…but it's great, isn't it?"

"Yeah, mate, it is…" Harry was pleased that his first present had worked out so well. <Those galleons were well spent, I'd say…just wait 'til he gets to Hogwarts and finds out the rest of my surprise.>

"We'd better hurry up, Mum's going ballistic, she says we're going to miss the train. I just had to show you my surprise first, though."

There was a lot of commotion in the house. From what he had heard as he dressed at top speed, Harry had gathered that Fred and George had bewitched their trunks to fly downstairs…

****

"See you!" Harry called out of the open window as the train began to move, while Ron, Hermione, and Ginny waved beside him. The figures of Tonks, Lupin, Moody, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley shrank rapidly but a black dog was bounding alongside the window, wagging its tail; blurred people were laughing to see it chasing the train, and then they turned the corner, and Sirius was gone.

"He shouldn't have come with us," said Hermione in a worried voice.

"Don't worry, Hermione," Harry said. "I'm sure Snuffles will be fine…<this time, anyway…> I'll see to it, in fact."

She looked at him as if she was going to say something, but Ron interrupted. "Oh, lighten up," said Ron, "he hasn't seen daylight for months, poor bloke."

As Fred and George left to go look for Lee, Ron turned to his friends. "Shall we go and find a compartment, then?" he asked Harry and Hermione."

They exchanged looks…and thoughts. <Uh, oh…how do we handle this?> Hermione asked.

<Don't worry; I'll take care of it. He'll be quite distracted soon.> Harry responded silently. "Ron, Hermione and I have some business to attend to in the prefect carriage. Why don't you go down and find the compartment Neville and Ginny are in…I have a feeling that there's room in that one for all of us."

"Neville…and Ginny…in the same compartment?" Ron laughed. "Now I know you must be crazy, Harry…that'll never happen. Next thing I know, you'll tell me that my loony neighbor, Luna Lovegood, will be in there with them!"

"You never know…stranger things have been known to happen, Ron. We'll be along in about an hour." Hermione again looked at Harry quizzically, but shook her head as if she thought better of what she was thinking and they walked together to the prefect meeting.

****

By the time Harry and Hermione returned to the compartment, the food trolley had already gone by. Ron, Ginny, and Neville had finished their Pumpkin Pasties and were busy swapping Chocolate Frog cards when they entered. After Harry and Hermione had told everyone who the new prefects were, Ron was upset to hear that Malfoy was a Slytherin prefect. "So, Harry…when are you going to go after Crabbe and Goyle? It shouldn't take long to get them for something, you know."

"Harry's not going to abuse his position, Ron!" said Hermione sharply.

"Yeah, right, because Malfoy won't abuse it at all," said Ron sarcastically.

"So you want Harry to descend to his level?"

"No, I just want Harry to get Malfoy's mates before he gets us."

"For heaven's sake, Ron -"

"I know, Harry…you could make Goyle do lines, it'll kill him, he hates writing," said Ron happily. He lowered his voice to Goyle's low grunt and, screwing up his face in a look of pained concentration, mimed writing in midair." I…must…not…look…like…a…baboon's… backside…"

Everyone laughed, but nobody laughed harder than Luna Lovegood. She let out a scream of mirth that caused Hedwig to wake up and flap her wings indignantly and Crookshanks to leap up into the luggage rack, hissing. She laughed so hard that her magazine slipped out of her grasp, slid down her legs, and onto the floor.

"That was funny!"

*******

"Anything good in there?" asked Ron as Harry closed the copy of the Quibbler he had picked up from the floor where Luna had dropped it.

"Of course not," said Hermione scathingly, before Harry could warn her through their bond not to say anything insulting. "The Quibbler's rubbish, everyone knows that."

"Excuse me,' said Luna; her voice had suddenly lost its dreamy quality. "My father's the editor."

"I - oh," said Hermione, looking embarrassed. "Well…it's got some interesting…I mean, it's quite…"

"I'll have it back, thank you," said Luna coldly, and leaning forward she snatched it out of Harry's hands. Rifling through it to page fifty-seven, she turned it resolutely upside down again and disappeared behind it, just as the compartment door opened again.

Harry looked around; he had been expecting this incident to happen as before, but that did not make the sight of Draco Malfoy smirking at him from between his cronies Crabbe and Goyle any more enjoyable.

"What?" he said aggressively, before Malfoy could open his mouth.

"Manners, Potter, or I'll have to report you for behavior unbecoming a prefect," drawled Malfoy, whose sleek blond hair and pointed chin were just like his father's. "You see - while we BOTH have been made prefects, I unlike you, actually deserve the honor."

"Yeah," said Harry, "but you, unlike me, are still a git even if you are a prefect, so get out and leave us alone."

Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville laughed. Malfoy's lip curled.

"Tell me, Ron, as a Weasley, how does it feel to be second-best to Potter here…again?" he asked.

"Shut up, Malfoy," said Ginny sharply.

"I seem to have touched a nerve," said Malfoy, smirking. "Well, just watch yourself, all of you…because I'll be dogging your footsteps in case you step out of line."

"Get OUT!" said Hermione and Harry together as they stood up.

Sniggering, Malfoy gave Harry a last malicious look and departed, Crabbe and Goyle lumbering in his wake. Hermione slammed the compartment door behind them and turned to look at Harry, who knew at once that she, like him, had registered what Malfoy had said. Of course, this time, Harry knew exactly why this statement was significant, but he was glad that Hermione had noticed on her own once again and had been just as unnerved by it as before.

"Chuck us another Frog," said Ron, who had clearly noticed nothing. <Same old Ron…> Harry thought with a sigh. <Some things never change…>

Before too long, it was time for Harry and Hermione to change. They both pinned their prefect badges carefully to their chest, and Harry could swear he saw Ron looking at the badge wistfully.

*****

"Who's that?" Hermione said sharply, pointing toward the middle of the staff table.

Harry, who remembered all too well who Hermione was pointing out, tried hard to control the anger that once again had surged in his chest. He looked at the creature… wearing a pink cardigan just as he remembered, still looking just like a toad sitting on a lily pad, waiting for a wayward fly. "It's that Umbridge woman!" he said through clenched teeth.

"Who?" said Hermione.

"She was at my hearing, she works for Fudge!"

"Nice cardigan," said Ron, smirking.

"She works for Fudge?" Hermione repeated, frowning. "What on earth's she doing here, then?"

"She's here to make my life miserable… again." Harry mumbled to himself. Once again, Hermione looked up at him sharply…and then, her eyes grew wide as she considered a very crazy explanation for what she had been noticing recently.

"Oh, look…there's Miss Puckle." Ron said, grinning goofily as the Assistant Professor of Charms made her way to the staff table. "Blimey, mate, as I've said before, she's still quite the looker, eh?" But then, she looks much better in that picture that Colin took last year, don't you think, Harry?" he said as he elbowed Harry in the ribs. "Harry? Harry? What's wrong with you, Potter? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Harry, however, had not seen a ghost…but as Ron mentioned the photograph of a topless, sunbathing Harmony taken from the back, Harry remembered a distinguishing scar…one that perfectly matched in shape and location another scar he had seen as Hermione's top floated loose when he rescued her during the second task….and his eyes also grew wide as he considered a very crazy explanation…but one that also seemed to fit the facts. <It can't be…but that would mean that they are …Yes, of course, I remember now, Miss Puckle wasn't a teacher at Hogwarts in the other timeline…and that scar…well, I guess I've got another thing to discuss during our meeting after dinner…>

******

As Madam Pomfrey entered the headmaster's office and took her seat between Professor McGonagall and Harmony, Harry nodded at the school nurse and stood up. Before he could start the speech he had worked on for some time, he felt strength, support, and love flow through his soul-bond. He took a deep breath to calm himself, and began. "Now that you are all here, Headmaster, with your permission, let's get started. First, let's dispense with the pleasantries. I, for one, am not happy to be here, and I trust that none of you are either. I assume that all of you except Hermione are aware of what I am about to discuss. In way of explanation to her, then, recent events have resulted in Hermione removing a memory block that was placed there by Bellatrix Lestrange in another reality. As a result, I find that I have detailed memories of another version of my experiences here at Hogwarts. In that reality, I was originally sorted into Gryffindor instead of Slytherin, and I had a number of different experiences in that time."

He looked at Miss Puckle as he said this, while Hermione's expression changed from one of shock to understanding as she considered Harry's revelation. She said quietly, "Well, that would explain what's been happening with you recently, wouldn't it?"

Harry continued. "I have more to say about those different experiences later. Right now, I am interested in one thing - to try to understand just why the four of you think it was necessary and acceptable to violate the minds of four students in such a manner as you did this past year. While you are all at fault in this matter, I feel that the actions of two of you deserve special notice - and possibly worse, once all the facts are in. First, Headmaster Dumbledore, you are entrusted with the health and well-being, both physical and mental, of all of the students at Hogwarts, are you not?"

"Yes, Mr. Potter, I am." Albus answered seriously in the same formal tone that Harry had adopted.

"Then, how could you justify taking away the one thing that I could have used most last year - my memories of my relationship with Hermione? I needed her support…it would have given me hope."

Before Albus could respond, Harry continued, "And, Madam Pomfrey, how could you agree to this misuse of your healer's skills? I understand that even Muggle 'healers' have a code of ethics that they follow known as Hippocratic Oath. The author of that oath is also rumored to have written another famous phrase - 'First, do no harm.' I would say to you that by your actions, you have done harm to not just Hermione and me, but also to Ron and Ginny, simply because we had told them about our feelings for each other that very day."

Poppy, who was looking quite chastened, was about ready to respond when Albus interrupted. "Harry, if you will permit me, I would prefer to answer for both of us, since it was at my request that Madam Pomfrey acted the way she did. Would this be acceptable to you, and will you promise to listen to what I have to say before you pass judgment?" Harry nodded. "Simply put, Harry, as I've told you before, we acted the way we did because we were quite convinced that to do otherwise would have resulted in many deaths, including most likely yours, Hermione's, and the Weasleys."

"How do you know this, Professor? Excuse me for doubting, but my memories of certain events that happen near the end of this year are quite clear, and I assure you I will not let you withhold information from me any more. I remember first-hand the pain, death, and suffering that this will cause."

As he said this, Hermione noticed that Harmony, who had been trying to remain inconspicuous, was nodding her head sadly, eyes shining with tears. But, before she could think about that, Albus continued to speak in his defense.

"Yes, Harry; I understand why you feel this way. You're not the only one in possession of this knowledge, you know. I have my sources, too."

Harry once again glanced at Miss Puckle and sighed. "Actually, sir, I was going to bring that up later, but I realize that now is as good a time as any. I just figured out your little secret for myself not that long ago." With all eyes focused on him, he stood up and walked over to where Harmony was seated. He held out his hand, inviting her to stand. When she did, he took both of her hands in his and said with tears starting to form in his eyes as he realized the depth of her sacrifice, "You're Dumbledore's source, aren't you? You came back for me, didn't you, Miss Puckle… or should I say, Hermione?" And, much to everyone's surprise, he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her full on the lips, eliciting a gasp from the youngest female in the office.

Harmony resisted at first, but it didn't take long for her long-suppressed feelings to take over, and she was returning his kisses with equal fervor as she began to apologize. "Oh, Harry… I'm so sorry I couldn't tell you…but I knew that ….you would figure it out eventually." Soon, the reunited couple noticed the shocked silence that filled the room, not to mention the anger and hurt on the face of the younger Hermione. Tears were starting to run down the young girl's cheeks as she looked first at Harry, then at Harmony. "I thought….after all we've been through, that you loved ME, Harry! And why are you calling her by my name? How dare you!" she said with a barely stifled sob. Then, to Miss Puckle, she said, scathingly, "I KNEW you wanted him for yourself all along…but I hoped that you didn't…then you made me make a fool of myself!" Then, the feelings of betrayal overwhelmed her and she tried to run from the room, crying and covering her eyes with her hands. As she got to the door, she found it had been locked magically. She started pounding on it with both fists. "LET ME OUT! I HATE ALL OF YOU! LET ME OUT OF HERE THIS INSTANT!"

Harmony moved toward the door in an attempt to stop her, but Harry looked intently at her and thought <No, my love…why don't we just show her? First, release your appearance charms… Good!…and then turn around for a second. You know why, of course. And, it helps that you've got a loose top on…this shouldn't take too long.>. Then, he focused his thoughts on the girl at the door. <'Mione, please calm down…if you just look over here, I'm sure you'll figure it out.>

Still trying to beat the door down with her arms, she screamed loudly in response. "DON'T YOU EVER REFER TO ME BY THAT NAME AGAIN…AND NEVER USE THE MIND-LINK EITHER. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU, HARRY JAMES POTTER! NOW OPEN THIS DOOR!"

Calmly, he responded once again to her mind. < Please trust me, Hermione…I do love you too…I have for years now - more years than even I knew until you removed my memory block. If you'll just turn around you'll understand what I mean.>

And then Hermione was surprised to hear another familiar, yet hated, voice enter her head. <Harry's right, you know. He has no choice but to love you as much as he loves me. Please, Hermione, turn around and look.>

With tears of anger still in her eyes, she turned slowly to face the two people she now thought of as her newest enemies. The first thing that Hermione noticed was that Harmony was facing the wall with her top pulled up, exposing a fair amount of skin on her lower back. Before Hermione could turn away in embarrassment, she saw…a distinctive, yet familiar scar…in exactly the same place as the one she had since she was a young girl. Before she could react, Harmony had turned to face her. For a brief moment, Hermione thought she was looking at her mother as she appeared in her parent's engagement picture, but she knew that wasn't possible. She rubbed her eyes and looked closer at the brown-haired, brown-eyed woman who stood next to her former boyfriend…and then, she said slowly, "Where did you get that…scar…on your back? And why do you look so …familiar? Who are you?"

Harry cautiously reached for both of their hands, joined them together in a handshake and said, "Hermione Granger, I would like to introduce you to…Hermione Granger. Wow…this is going to be confusing, isn't it?" he said to the headmaster. "What are we going to do with double Hermione Grangers, sir? Or, should I say Hermione squared?"

(A/N…Okay, about this chapter. I actually toyed with the idea of having Hermione be able to see the thestrals because of her link to Harry's mind, but I thought that scene would drag things out too long. Also, one of my betas couldn't remember how Hermione/Harmony got the scar in the first place - it's all included in Chapter 35.

Before you complain that it was inappropriate for Harry to be kissing "Harmony", remember they are both actually in their early 20's by this time.

Finally, the "First, do no harm" quote…many do think that it is part of the Hippocratic oath. For the whole story, please see http://www.geocities.com/everwild7/noharm.html - Now, the bigger question is, "Why would Harry know this?" And, the answer is, Hermione's been after him for TWO timelines spanning around 9 years, surely some of Hermione's research skills have rubbed off on him by this time. )