Unofficial Portkey Archive

Keeping A Promise by MapleMountain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Keeping A Promise

MapleMountain

Chapter 32 - A Dark and Stormy Night

(A/N - Note: Please remember when you read this first part, that "Harmony" has given her willing consent to the interrogation process. And, I apologize for the chapter title in advance!)

"Oh, Albus…what are we going to do now? The Dark Mark appears for the first time in so many years, and now this!" McGonagall's normally strong voice was subdued and full of anguish for what she and the Headmaster had just discovered while interrogating Harmony with Veritaserum. "Not Cedric…Mr. Diggory's always been such a fine student. We were already considering him as a possible Head Boy candidate…for next year. And, poor Alastor, too…how awful for him! At least we know that he recovered, and we know who was responsible for the Dark Mark. Who would suspect that Barty Crouch Jr. is actually alive?"

"Yes, Minerva, we have seen and heard many terrible things," he said sadly as he helped Harmony unsteadily to her feet, her eyes shut tightly, and wincing with each word he spoke. "Before we discuss them, however, we need to attend to Miss Puckle's needs. The Veritaserum has already left her system, but I fear that she will have a few unavoidable side effects this evening. Having all your memories extracted and reviewed in a Pensieve that quickly can cause a very painful headache and sensitivity to light and sound. She should be physically recovered before she boards the Hogwarts Express in the morning, though. After we get her settled in her room we can talk."

When they got her seated in a comfortable chair in her darkened room upstairs, Albus and Minerva turned to leave. "W…wait, Albus, Minerva", Harmony croaked weakly, pain evident in her voice. "Did…that help? Were you able… to find out some way to put things back right this year? Will Harry be…okay? Please tell me… the damage I have done to Harry is reversible!" She choked back a sob as she said this last.

"Hush now, my dear." Minerva turned in the doorway and said soothingly. "Albus and I will do our best to come up with a solution. Don't blame yourself any more. Remember, we have been aware of your actions and your 'other agenda' for years now and did nothing to stop you, so we share fully in the responsibility. All along, we both knew that you would be motivated to do what you did. Unfortunately, none of us could have imagined how serious the consequences were, or else we would have warned you sooner. Be that as it may, now we have to consider our options carefully. Don't lose hope now! Besides, in the long run, you may have been right in what you did."

Dumbledore agreed. "Yes, Harmony, we will do our best. We understand what is at stake here, and with your unselfish willingness to submit yourself to that painful, invasive interrogation, I hope that we have a definite advantage over Tom. We now know more about what we need to restore. You, I feel, will be the key to our success. You should rest more peacefully if you contemplate that happy thought!" he said before he closed the door and sealed it with a privacy charm.

As they walked down the stairs, Minerva sounded worried. "Albus, do you really feel that way, or were you just trying to cheer her up? Honestly, I'm at a loss to what we can do. Perhaps after we return to Hogwarts this evening I'll be able to think more clearly."

"Minerva, you should know by now that I would never say something 'just to cheer her up' I believe what I told her," he said simply. But, I agree, we should discuss this in a more private setting," he said as they reached the main room of the pub, which was quite crowded with all the wizards and witches trying to take shelter from the heavy rain. "Shall we be off, then?" he said as he escorted her to the fireplace and the Floo Network. "We have much to do before the students arrive tomorrow. Of course, the most pressing thing now is what to do about Alastor!"

*

There was a definite end-of-the holidays gloom in the air when Harry awoke at the Burrow the next morning. Between the fear and loathing associated with seeing the Dark Mark at the Quidditch World Cup and the uncooperative weather, Harry had been unable to spend much time alone with Hermione since they returned to the Burrow. The few times he was near her, she seemed preoccupied and somewhat worried. Whenever he asked why, she refused to say anything about it except to ask him to wait until they got back to school and then she would have more to say. He also was concerned about what exactly the Headmaster wanted to talk to him about in private. He knew that it had something to do with his developing relationship with Hermione. <I just hope he's not wanting to talk about…well, THAT… with me. I can't imagine Dumbledore giving me the old 'facts of life' talk!> he thought to himself as he got out of bed and got dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. <Or, worse, he's going to tell me to break it off with her or something. I don't want to even think about it!>

After an uncomfortable journey to King's Cross in the rain, the severely scratched trio finally found themselves alone in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express, the very same compartment that they had been in on the way from school the previous term. When Ron left to see if he could find Seamus and Dean, Harry winked at Hermione and reminded her of that fact expectantly as he started to close the blinds.

"Oh, Harry…please don't start," she said testily. "I'm feeling pretty miserable right now. That rain soaked me through to my skin and thanks to Fred's fireworks scaring Crookshanks my arms and legs look like I've been climbing through a bramble bush. You're in no better shape, to tell you the truth. Come on, Harry…don't look so sad! I'm really not upset with you, you know. I'm just worried about something that Harmony told me…that night, and until I get that sorted out, I'm going to be a bit distracted. Can you forgive me?" she said with a weak smile. "I'd ask for a raincheck, but rain is the last thing I want to think of right now."

Harry sighed, "Of course, Hermione…but I am curious. This isn't because we…well, we didn't have a chance to get together that night, is it? I asked Miss Puckle to explain it to you …is that why you're feeling this way?"

"No, Harry, of course not! I understood why we had to change our plans that night. Harmony asked me to stay close to the camp also. You were so sweet to think of my feelings right then. Harmony told me about that, too." She smiled at him warmly. "Don't worry, Potter, you're not going to chase me away that easily! I'm just worried about what she said to me earlier, you know, when you were paying so much attention to that tree?" she said with a smirk. "But, until we get…"

"…back to school, I know, Hermione" he finished with a grin. "So, what would you like to do instead? Oh, here's the lunch trolley…how about some Cauldron Cakes? Then, I've got to go visit the loo!"

****

As the soaking wet trio entered the Great Hall after slipping and sliding across the entrance hall, the Headmaster was waiting. He motioned Harry aside while Ron and Hermione continued on to sit at the Gryffindor table. "Mr. Potter, to avoid unnecessary speculation among the student body, why don't you come sit in Professor McGonagall's chair at the head table for a minute instead of joining your new House immediately. There's no time like the present to announce the change, then we can commence with the Sorting."

"Thank you, sir. I was hoping you would make the announcement soon. I'd rather not have to sit at the Slytherin table at all tonight, to be honest."

Very few students had even noticed that Harry was sitting at the head table until they heard Dumbledore call them to order. "May I have your attention, please? Before we get started with the Sorting on this very rainy evening, I have an unusual announcement to make. Four years ago at this very Welcoming Feast, Mr. Harry Potter was Sorted into the noble house of Slytherin." At this, scattered boos and catcalls were heard from three of the four house tables.

"Quiet, please." Albus continued. "As I was saying, Mr. Potter joined the ranks of the silver and green on that evening. However, evidence has been brought to light since then indicating that the Sorting Hat was interfered with by an outside force that evening. After discussing this matter with Mr. Potter at the end of last term, and verifying this with the Sorting Hat, we have come to the conclusion that it would be best if he were reassigned to his proper house - that of Gryffindor!" At this announcement, a roar of disbelief and anger rose from the Slytherins, matched only by the cheers and applause from most of the Gryffindors. Nearly-Headless Nick was beaming, while the Bloody Baron looked like he was ready to explode.

After a short pause, Albus raised his hands to try to quiet them. "Harry, please join your new Housemates at the Gryffindor Table. Now, while he is taking his seat, I have more to say to you all. Under these unusual circumstances and in all fairness, I have decided to offer this opportunity to any fourth-year student who feels that they, too, may have been assigned to the wrong house during their Sorting. If you are convinced that you have a valid reason to change to a different house, please contact your current Head of House within the next two days and schedule a hearing on the matter. A teacher's council consisting of myself and the Heads of the four Houses will evaluate your requests on a case-by-case basis and make any changes that are necessary. A word of caution, however. This is not to be taken lightly. Do not ask for a change simply because your feelings were hurt by someone in your house, or because you want to live closer to the kitchens." A knowing chuckle rose from the Hufflepuff table.

"This is a one-time opportunity. Be very sure you wish to change houses, because this time it will be permanent. Now, before we start the Sorting, rest assured that we are confident that the outside force that affected the Sorting Hat that night has not done so since, which is why this offer applies only to our new fourth-year students."

Trying to ignore the eyes of most everyone, alive or dead, in the Great Hall, Harry walked to the Gryffindor Table and took the place that Ron and Hermione had saved between them. In an attempt to distract himself from the stares he was getting, Harry looked up at the staff table. There seemed to be rather more empty seats than usual. Hagrid, of course, was still fighting his way across the lake with the first years; Professor McGonagall was presumably supervising the drying of the entrance hall floor. "Let's see…there's Snape, and Sinistra, and Flitwick, and Miss Puckle…Professor Vector, Professor Sprout, Madam Hooch, that Muggle Studies wizard..." but there was another empty chair too, and Harry couldn't think who else was missing.

"Where's the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher?" said Hermione, who was also looking up at the teachers.

******

After the excitement from Moody's dramatic appearance and the announcement of the Triwizard Tournament qualifications had died down slightly, Dumbledore had one last thing to say. "The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving in October and remaining with us for the greater part of this year. I know that you will all extend every courtesy to our foreign guests while they are with us, and will give your whole-hearted support to the Hogwarts champion when he or she is selected. And now, it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bedtime! Chop chop!"

At that moment, both Harry and Hermione remembered the assigned tasks that Miss Puckle had told them after the Quidditch World Cup. Harry turned to his new roommate and asked, "Could you wait here for a minute, Ron? The Headmaster needs to talk to me for a minute about something, and I need you to show me how to get to our room in Gryffindor Tower."

"Sure, mate…I'd be glad to! I'm too excited to get to sleep tonight anyway! All that news about the Triwizard tournament…just think, a THOUSAND GALLEONS!"

Hermione smiled at Harry and Ron, and said, "Well, I'll see you both at breakfast tomorrow morning, then," and headed off with the other students. However, as soon as she got out of their sight, she doubled back and headed towards the hospital wing.

When Harry and Ron reached the head table, Dumbledore's eyes twinkled happily as he greeted him again. "Harry, I'm glad you remembered Miss Puckle's message on my behalf. Now, Mr. Weasley, please sit over there and wait. I will provide both of you with a note authorizing you to be out after hours tonight, but I have to discuss something in private with Mr. Potter." With that, he cast a privacy charm around the two of them that appeared to Ron to be a semi-transparent bubble. He realized this would serve to dissuade any potential lip-readers in the area.

"Now that we have some privacy, Harry, let's get right to the point of this meeting. I would like to discuss your growing feelings for Miss Granger." At this, Harry blushed for a second, but he didn't speak. "Mr. Potter…I hate to be the one to tell you this, but…I must insist that you work as hard as you can this year to control your …attraction for her, both physically and emotionally. This year is not the time or the place for that."

Harry's embarrassment faded quickly and his Slytherin anger started to build as he spoke. "Now, just a minute, Headmaster. What business is it of yours what my feelings are for Hermione? And, don't EVEN start with some rubbish about us being too young…you know as well as I that third-year and even second-year students go out on dates, so that won't wash with me. Besides, it's not like we're doing anything, well, you know, inappropriate with each other! Yes, we've had a few good snogs, but nothing beyond that; again, not that it is ANY of your business! You'd better have a good reason for daring to say such a thing to me, and you'd better tell me NOW, or else this conversation is OVER!" His eyes flashed green as he nearly yelled this last bit and a wave of anger surged in his mind.

Albus looked deeply into Harry's eyes for a second, but then he shook his head, not quite sure what he thought he saw. He spoke quietly in an attempt to calm his student. "Harry, please, calm your mind. You are correct. What I have asked of you I would normally have no business saying to any of my students. The juvenile romances, snogging sessions, cases of puppy love, crushes, and resulting heartbreaks that always occur each year at Hogwarts are usually an essential part of the growth of all children your age, including Muggles around the world, for that matter. In all my years here, I have only intervened when there has been the potential for abuse, or when one of the parties involved begins to develop an unwanted obsession with the other party, which does happen from time to time. However, in this case, I have a much more important reason to ask you this favor. Putting it simply, without trying to be too dramatic about it, if you fail to do what I have asked just now I fear it may result in the deaths of untold numbers of wizards, witches, and Muggles, not to mention both yours and Miss Granger's."

Harry snorted in unbelief as he heard this pronouncement. "You…you've got to be joking, sir!" But as he saw his headmaster's expression and looked once again into his eyes, he knew that he was being quite serious. "But…that's just…stupid! How could us being together end up killing her…or anyone else, for that matter."

"Harry, I wish I knew all the details, but I will share what I can with you. Do you remember your first 'date' with Miss Granger at the end of term last year? Of course you do!" he winked at Harry as he said this. "Miss Puckle owled me after the two of you talked with her and filled me in on the details you described…quite impressive, I must say - a corporeal Patronus that could support both of you for approximately ten minutes. Unfortunately, that much magical energy cannot be easily ignored by others. I agree with her assessment - the Dementors at Azkaban surely felt what you accomplished together that night, as did a few others who are just as evil, unfortunately. At the time even I felt a powerful surge of energy, but I did not understand why. I should have investigated further at the time, but it was such a happy feeling that I could not imagine any harm coming from it. And, since then, I understand that you have had other manifestations of your closeness since then. This is why I am so concerned for your safety. Rest assured, this restriction is not permanent. But, until you both have received more instruction in how to control your connection, it is best that you minimize your contact with each other. No, I don't want you to avoid her this year, but treat her as you would any other of your female housemates - develop your friendship with her first. It seems from what I have been told that the effects of the bond are strongest when you are…" and Dumbledore cleared his throat, "… in direct physical contact with her?"

Harry thought for a moment, and nodded his head.

"Good! That means we have an obvious solution. Please restrain from any type of prolonged physical contact with her this year, and hopefully this will draw less unwanted attention to the two of you. I know this will be difficult for you, but if you truly care about her and want her to be safe, I must insist. And, before you ask, yes, I will inform Miss Granger of this request and the reasoning behind it that I have shared with you tonight. I surely do not want her to get a mistaken idea that you have lost interest in her!" His eyes twinkled brightly as he smiled at Harry. "She is quite an impressive witch, you know. I am happy that you have found two good friends to support you. Be patient, Harry, and enjoy this year with your new House and your friends. You may find that focusing on developing your friendship without the physical distractions may be the best thing you can do for your relationship with her."

Harry didn't seem to be too convinced. "I hope you are right about this, sir. She is very important to me, and I don't want to have anything happen to her. But, if I find you are not telling me the truth, on this or other things, I promise I will find it hard to forgive you."

"I already find it equally hard to forgive myself…over many things, Harry. Now, you and Mr. Weasley need to get to your rooms. Here's your hall pass. Now, get to bed!" and he dispersed the privacy bubble.

As they left the hall, Ron asked, "Blimey, mate, what was that all about? You don't look too happy, Harry! Was Dumbledore trying to change his mind on your House change?"

"No, nothing like that…he just gave me some unpleasant news now. I'm sure it will be okay." But, he said this more to convince himself than Ron as they walked down the empty, darkened hall towards Gryffindor Tower.

******

"Ah…Miss Granger. There you are. The Headmaster said I would be expecting you tonight. The Welcoming Feast is over with, I take it?" Madam Pomfrey looked up from her desk as Hermione, carrying a small backpack with her overnight things and her favorite pillow, came into the Hospital Wing. She had packed it in secret when Harry had gone to the loo on the Hogwarts Express earlier that day, and had magically shrunk it to fit in her robe pocket until she had left the Great Hall.

"Since it is so early in the year you should be my only patient tonight, so you can have your pick of beds. But first, why don't you go change into your night clothes, then we can start the testing. The results won't be available until tomorrow, you know."

Hermione threw her bag and her pillow on one of the beds and quickly changed out of all of her still-damp clothes and put on her summer-weight nightdress and fuzzy slippers to protect against the cold stone floors. "Where do you want me to put my wet things?" Hermione asked the nurse from behind the nearby privacy screen.

"Just leave them there, my dear. A house elf will take care of them."

"Hmph!" said Hermione once again at the mention of her soon-to-be obsession.

"Did you say something, Miss Granger?" Poppy said when she heard Hermione's mutterings about unfair treatment and slave labor as she tried to fold her discarded clothes neatly and put them back into her backpack.

"Never mind, Madam Pomfrey. I've taken care of it."

When she came out from behind the screen, the school nurse immediately started talking to herself. "Yes…I can see why Albus was concerned…well, it could just be that…" and then she sighed and spoke directly to Hermione. "I suppose there's only one way to be sure. Thank you for choosing such a thin nightgown, by the way. It makes the diagnostics process much more accurate, while still allowing you to maintain your modesty. I've been a healer for so many years that skin doesn't bother me at all, but I'm sure you're still a bit shy about that." Hermione nodded in agreement, grateful that she wasn't going to have to be made more uncomfortable than she already was. "First things first. Let me take care of those nasty looking scratches. Your Kneazle, I presume?"

Hermione again nodded as Poppy waved her wand, healing the scratches immediately.

"Now, Miss Granger, please stand there with your arms out straight from your sides, legs slightly apart. That's it…now, hold still. This may, well, tickle a little, so don't start giggling if you can help it. If you have any questions, and knowing your reputation I'm sure you will, you may ask away. All I ask is that you keep your head as still as possible when you speak." And, using her wand, Poppy performed a very complex combination of twists and flicks in a specific pattern around her patient's body, which while it did tickle, actually felt quite invigorating. Glancing down quickly, Hermione saw a spectacular, dynamic glow form around her, a few inches away from her skin. "Madam Pomfrey…is that what Muggles would call my aura?"

"That's right, Hermione, although to be honest, a Muggle's aura is much less impressive since it does not include any magical indicators. But, in either case, it can be used to provide a wealth of information about the subject's general health and well-being. No, don't look down - here, let me get you a mirror so you can see better."

And, with a wave of her hand, she conjured a full-length mirror right in Hermione's line of sight. "See, these bright colors here, and the unique patterns here….and here…those are indicators of a magical person. All magical creatures, including witches and wizards have similar aural indicators that can be used to verify their membership in the community of Magical Brethren. Hmmm…well, this IS interesting…that's not supposed to look like that…and you have definitely been…"

"Madam Pomfrey…what is it? Is there something wrong with me? What is going on? Please stop muttering like that!" Hermione pleaded, trying her hardest to keep still as the tickling sensation was building throughout her body until it was no longer pleasant.

"My dear Miss Granger, until I have a chance to analyze this information, there's not much I can say to you. First thing in the morning I promise I'll be able to tell you more. One thing I can tell you right now is that you have a classic healer's aura. As you consider your career options, in the coming year, I hope you will think carefully about that one. Now, that should about do it. I've recorded all I need to make a diagnosis."

"Thank you, Madam Pomfrey…yes, I've considered healing already. I guess I've always been interested in that because of my parents being Muggle Dentists, you know! So, may I put my arms down now?"

As the nurse nodded and Hermione lowered her arms, Nearly Headless Nick glided hurriedly through the doors. "Hurry, Madam Pomfrey! Harry Potter's been attacked!"