Unofficial Portkey Archive

Keeping A Promise by MapleMountain
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Keeping A Promise

MapleMountain

Chapter 34 - "Furonem Pulsum!"

(A/N - The scene in the last chapter where Poppy is telling Hermione about the potential heart problems she may face after age 140 came from a Pocket Books paperback called Enterprise - The First Adventure by Vonda N. McIntyre, a somewhat well-known author of Star Trek™ related fiction. The book describes Captain Kirk's first mission in command of the USS Enterprise. The copy I have was published in 1986, so I doubt that too many of you may have heard of it, or even care, for that matter.

In that book, the dialogue was between Dr. McCoy and Sulu, who had lived on a high-gravity planet when he was growing up in this version of the Star Trek back story. The major difference between the scenes is that McCoy told Sulu to start getting checked at age 70 and every 3 years or so after that, which is related to my observation that wizard-folk seem to age at a 1:2 rate compared to Muggles. Trivia, I know, but I've been a Star Trek fan - just don't call me a Trekkie *grrr* - since I was about 5 or 6.

Also, for those of you who may end up being a little disappointed in the direction this chapter heads, well, I do have my reasons, and they are explained in the end Author's Note.)

"Hermione…we…uh…"

"Yes, Harry?" Hermione whispered in his ear. After being escorted to Gryffindor Tower, Harry and Hermione had been able to sneak quite easily into their respective rooms to shower and change into fresh school robes before heading down to breakfast. The storm had blown itself out by then, but there was still a chill in the air. Fortunately, they had figured out a very good way to keep each other warm. The two had just returned to the common room and were cuddling together by the fireplace in one of the larger armchairs. They planned on taking full advantage of a last moment together before the term officially started.

"We need to talk…about, well, you know…" Harry stammered and blushed, staring intently into the flickering flames. "All that…stuff that Dumbledore told us just now, about whether or not we are going to let anyone else know about…us, and about not…well, you know…until we…erm…get married? I don't want…"

Hermione stiffened and her tone quickly turned businesslike. "You don't want what, Harry? Getting cold feet already? Remember, the Headmaster said we have to wait until you're officially seventeen before we could consider get married, anyway, so it's not like you'd have to do worry about it until…"

"Now, wait just a second, Hermione!" Harry glared at her for interrupting him. "What makes you think I'm having second thoughts? All I was going to say is that I don't want to do anything that involves the two of us without talking to you - isn't that what you told me you wanted? Being Muggle-raised, I'm not all that familiar with the Wizarding customs he was talking about. I was hoping you'd probably know something more about it from your studies, and now you're accusing me of getting cold feet!"

Her face fell as she realized she had jumped to conclusions without reason, although a nagging voice in her mind told her there was something not quite right about what Harry just said. "Oh, Harry, please forgive me! There I go, assuming that you…didn't want to get stuck with someone as plain-looking and swotty as me. I mean, you're the Boy-Who-Lived, and I'm …"

Whatever she thought she was, it was never expressed as Harry put his finger gently on her lips and gave her a big hug. "For someone who is supposedly so clever, sometimes you are just mental, Hermione. For one thing, I don't mind at all that you're 'swotty' - it's part of who you are. And, why are you calling yourself plain? Surely you should know by now how I feel about you? And, besides, after what happened in the hospital wing a while ago, well, plain isn't the word I'd use to describe you!"

Hermione melted into his embrace and moved in for a kiss, but was surprised to see him turn away, blushing. "What's wrong, Harry…just what did you see, anyway?"

"Erm…well, the better question would be what I didn't see…either time." Harry said quietly, still looking away.

"And…that makes you uncomfortable? I mean, I just bent over to pick up a blanket. It wasn't like you were trying to sneak a peek at me, was it? Like I said, Harry, it was an accident, and I'm not at all embarrassed. Why should you be? Wait, what do you mean by either time? You didn't take advantage of the situation when I was asleep, did you?" she teased.

Harry winked at her mischievously. "No, I didn't, but thanks for the idea, 'Mione…maybe next time!" earning himself a glare, then a grin, before he continued. "When I first tried to wake you up…uh…you rolled over, and you didn't have a blanket over you, and, uh, that nightgown of yours…while it does cover all the important bits, it is rather sheer…and clingy. Even in the dim light…I saw…" but he didn't complete his thought. "Of course I'm embarrassed, Hermione, remember - I'm a normal, healthy, apparently 19-year-old bloke…who's just seen…well, most everything that most single blokes dream about seeing…and…you're so…"

"Harry…what are you trying to say? That you really don't think I'm ugly? You think I'm…"

"…beautiful, sexy, gorgeous, stunning, easy on the eyes, dishy…can I stop now?"

"No, tell me more…"she purred, putting her arms back around his neck and snuggling closer.

"…pretty, shapely, cute, ravishing…"

"Hmmm…now just who is it that sounds like they swallowed a dictionary…or rather, a thesaurus?" They laughed together as they remembered a conversation from when they first started getting to know each other during second year. "So, what's the problem, Harry?"

"Well, after what Dumbledore said about…well, you know, I'm worried that…I'm not going to be able to get what I saw out of my mind…not that I want to, of course, but it makes it very difficult, sometimes…Hermione, will you PLEASE stop that?"

"What's wrong, Harry?" she said as she sat up quickly, afraid that she was hurting him somehow.

"When you put your head on my shoulder like that…your breath…in my ear…well, it tickles...and it's quite…er… stimulating, if you get my meaning, and I'm not sure what to do about it. You know, this all makes sense now after what Madam Pomfrey told us. I guess the fourteen-year-old in me wants to run away screaming because a 'girl' is sitting on my lap, but the nineteen-year-old REALLY doesn't want to do that!"

"No kidding, Harry! I mean, at least now I know why I felt so strange around you sometimes as the months went on last year. Part of me is still this shy, nearly 15-year old bookworm of a girl living in the body of an older…more mature, young woman..." She slapped his shoulder playfully as he raised his eyebrows and rolled his eyes suggestively. "Oh, stop that, Harry- you're not helping!" she giggled.

"Hermione…please…giggling while you are sitting in my lap…not helping either…"

"Fine, then!" she pretended to pout as she moved to a nearby chair. "Better?"

"Yes…and no… as I tried to convince myself earlier, it's safer, at least. Seriously, Hermione, could you tell me more about what Dumbledore was saying…you know, about waiting? I'm sure you've read something about the subject."

"Oh, of course, Harry…it's actually quite fascinating to read about. Do you want all the details, or just the summary?"

"Come on, Hermione…I think you already know the answer to that one."

"Summary, then..." she chuckled knowingly. "Basically, according to the customs, if any magic-user wants to realize their full potential as a witch or a wizard, they must wait until after they get married to…how did Dumbledore put it? - 'consummate their relationship.'"

"Thanks, Hermione, but I had already figured that much out. Surely there's something else you can tell me? Like, a reason why this all matters, maybe? Like Dumbledore said, it sounds a bit old-fashioned, don't you think? Surely not everyone in the Wizarding World follows those customs any more."

"No, you're right, Harry…some couples still do, but many don't even bother any more, I suppose - it's totally up to them. Obviously, no one checks to see if they waited, and there's not even anything said at the time if they didn't. No lighting bolt from the sky striking them down or anything!" she said with a wry smile.

"As to why it matters, well, it has to do with the promises made both before and during the wedding ceremony, I suppose. You know, of course, that a wedding ceremony in the Wizarding world is a special form of a binding magical contract."

At his confused look, she sighed in frustration. "Honestly, Harry, don't you pay attention in your classes? We'll have to work on that together this year. Binding magical contracts are…well, let's just say there can be serious consequences for misrepresenting yourself, or not following through - up to and including total loss of magical power in the more extreme cases. It all has to do with some very ancient and powerful magic that no one completely understands, but for the contract to be fully in force, the participants need to be "…pure in spirit, chaste in body, and sound in mind…" is how it is stated in the ceremony. But, in the cases where a betrothed couple does follow the ancient customs, swears honestly to their chastity, and goes through with the complete ceremony, the power available to them afterwards is quite impressive."

"I still don't get it, 'Mione. What difference does someone saying some words in a wedding ceremony make, if the couple's already in love? Isn't that all that matters?"

She looked at him for a second as if she couldn't quite believe him. "Harry… please think about what you just said…you are attending a wizarding school, you know! What difference does it make if you cast a spell without an incantation, but only perform the wand movements…especially when you are just beginning to learn?" He still looked puzzled. "Words have meaning, Harry…and they can be used to focus the power of the spell…or the wedding bond, for that matter, if you live up to the contract."

A smile came over Harry's face as he understood her point. "Thanks for explaining things. That helps a lot. But, just what will this mean to us? What kind of extra power are we talking about?"

She grew quiet for some time, lost in pleasant thoughts. Then, she reached over to his chair and took both of Harry's hands in hers. "Harry, remember what happened when you summoned your Patronus last spring, and you put your arms around me when we were sitting on the stag?"

"As if it were yesterday…" he said quietly, the memory causing a pleasant shiver to pass through him as he looked into her eyes.

"Do you remember what happened then?"

"Yes…the stag's power seemed to surge…and he was able to walk around with us on his back."

"That's right, Harry, If I remember right, afterwards you said 'When I was holding you just then, it was as if…you were helping me keep it going…as if you were sharing your magic with me.' " Again, he nodded. "You know me, Harry, always the student. What you said there, while very sweet and romantic, got me to thinking…and when I need to think, I…"

"…head for the library…I know! So, what did you find out? Seriously, I don't mind a lecture, as long as you're the teacher!"

"Thanks, Harry…that really means a lot to me." Her eyes sparkled at the compliment. "In the library, I found a fascinating Arithmancy book on this very subject and Madam Pince let me take it home over the summer after I swore I'd be careful with it. Remember, when we told Harmony about our date at the Quidditch World Cup, and I asked her about the values she used in the formula? Where do you think I got the formula to begin with? But, to make a long story a little shorter, you were exactly right - since we are both, I assume, '…chaste in body…'she looked at him questioningly, and he nodded quickly - "Good…same here!" she continued, smiling happily. "-we were able to actually share our magic very effectively, and we didn't even know what we were doing. Based on what I read in the text, if we are successful in doing what the Headmaster asked us to do, what we saw then is just a glimpse of what we can do…together. You don't remember this because you were still petrified, but that is why I lost my temper with Harmony and Dumbledore when they asked me to 'cool' it. I understood why they were asking me, because they were concerned about us going too fast, but I also knew that there was no possible way I could go back to being 'just friends' with you. After all that has happened to us, with the bond we have, the only way that would be possible is if I stayed completely away from you, and I'm sure we need each other more than that. We'll just have to be very careful not to go too far, okay, Harry? It's going to be hard for both of us, I know, but just think of what we'll have…together, if we wait."

It was Harry's turn to be lost in thought for a moment. "Why does this still worry me so much, Hermione? No, not the 'together' part…" he said quickly as she started to say something, "…that's not a problem for me. It goes back to 'how' and 'why'? First, how is it that I am five years older than I should be? At least your being two years older makes sense, but what happened to me? Then, why does Dumbledore think we'll need all this extra power? I mean, we haven't heard anything from Voldemort… oh, stop that, will you?!" Hermione had involuntarily shuddered at the name, earning her a reproving glance from Harry, "…for years now, so what could possibly happen that would be all that bad?"

"I don't know the answer to any of your questions yet. I just hope we don't have to find out the 'why' for a while, at least…as to the 'how'… I'm sure we'll have to look into that as soon as we can get to the library. Now, we do need to talk about something else…do we keep our relationship quiet, as Harmony and the Headmaster recommended, or what?"

"Don't ask me, Hermione…it's that whole conflict thing again. The fourteen-year old part of me barely can accept that he might fancy a…girl…while the older me wants everyone to know about us. That's especially true when it comes to the blokes, so they'll keep their eyes and their hands to themselves around you! I have a feeling that after they see you this year your picture will replace Miss Puckle's on the walls of some of the older boys' dorms. That reminds me…don't let that Creevy kid anywhere near you with a camera - that must have been how that picture of her down at the lake came about."

"So…you honestly think I'm prettier than Harmony? And all this time I thought you had a crush on her like all the other boys."

"Hmmm…let me think about that for a second…" he teased, earning himself a light slap. "OW...that hurt!" he said, pretending to clutch his arm in pain. "Well, I guess I'd better watch how I answer your question. Let's see… I much prefer brown hair over black, or red, for that matter, and blue eyes are just so…not you, I guess, so I'd have to say, yes, I think you are much prettier than Harmony! Besides, she's too old for me. But, my dear Miss Granger, we still need to decide if we're going to keep this quiet or not."

Hermione sat back in her chair and bit her lower lip as she thought about it for a moment. "The only person I would want to tell would be Ginny, I suppose. She's been a very good friend to me, so that means you'd probably have to tell Ron…"

"Ron? Why him? What does he have to do with it? I mean he's not that good of a friend… although, with the change in houses, he may just end up that way. But, I still don't think that we need to tell Ron…" he said as the portrait of the Fat Lady swung wide.

"Tell me what, Harry?" a lanky, red-headed boy came in, followed closely by Argus Filch.

"Never you mind, Weasley!" the old caretaker said gruffly. "You don't want to spend another night in detention with me, do you?"

"N…N…No sir…I don't, sir." Ron stuttered.

"Mark my words, next time I'll bring out the chains if I catch you out of your dorms so late again!" Filch snarled as he left the common room. As the portrait closed, Ron added a few earthy comments that he wouldn't have dared say with an adult in the room.

"RON WEASLEY! There are ladies present! Didn't your mother teach you better than that?" Hermione said as she stood up.

"Oh, hi, Hermione. I didn't see you there in that chair. Sorry about that!" he said half-heartedly. "Good to see you made it to the Tower last night, Harry! I had almost made it to McGonagall's office to get help when that bloody…" and he used another impolite term.

"RON!"

"…Sorry again, Hermione, but I just think of you as one of the guys, you know…"

Both Harry and Hermione reacted quite differently to his matter-of-fact statement. Harry's face had a look of unbelief, while Hermione looked like she was going to kill him.

Harry broke the uncomfortable silence. "Are you mental, Weasley, or just blind? If you think that Hermione is just one of the guys, I'm very worried about you! By the way, Ron, thanks to you I ended up petrified in the Hospital Wing last night! Not that I really minded, all things considered…" he said as he winked at Hermione, "but I wish you wouldn't have run off like that. You were SUPPOSED to be showing me to the common room entrance, you know!"

"Petrified? How did that happen?" Ron asked quickly.

"A bunch of hooded goons jumped me right after you left…and they all hit me with a Full-Body-Bind. Miss Puckle had come over to talk to you and couldn't find you in the Tower. Fortunately, when she was walking back to her quarters she found me and took me to see Madam Pomfrey."

"M…Miss Puckle…wanted to talk to me?" Ron said with a dreamy expression on his face. "No offense, Hermione, but there's someone who I wouldn't mistake for one of the guys! She's…quite a looker, eh, Harry? That picture of her…lying face down next to the lake, trying to get an all-over tan… mmm…she's even prettier than Madam Rosmerta." His face had turned as red as his hair as he remembered some of the details of the magical photograph.

While Hermione snorted in disgust, Harry said, grinning "To each their own, I suppose. Hey, Ron… Hermione and I were just talking about something that you might be interested in. Can you keep a secret? I mean, REALLY keep a secret?"

"Sure, Harry, what is it? I know how to keep my mouth shut - I grew up covering for the twins, you know!"

"I was just wondering…would it bother you if I told you I fancied…Hermione?" Harry was not prepared at all for Ron's reaction.

"You WHAT? Blimey, now that's mental, Harry! Why would you fancy Hermione? I mean…she's so…"

"Out with it, Ron. Just what am I?" Hermione stared menacingly at him.

"Er…well…you're so…you, I suppose. I've just never really thought of you that way, I guess. It's not like I've ever spent that much time dreaming about you, you know."

As he saw the anger rising in his girlfriend's eyes, Harry thought it would be a good time to change subjects. "Just look at the time! We'd better get down to breakfast and get our schedules. But, Hermione, I want to continue our conversation later...alone."

"Yes, Harry… I just remembered something you said a while ago, I need to talk to you about it, too."

. . . . .

While Harry and Hermione were having their talk in the common room, there was a different, but related conversation going on in the Headmaster's private office.

"Ah, yes, the start of a new school term…and here we are once again, meeting to discuss Mr. Potter." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled merrily as Harmony sat in her regular place. "Fawkes," he said to the bright-plumed phoenix, "…please invite Minerva to come to my office. We need to let her know what has happened to her students." With a bright flash, the bird disappeared.

When the head of Gryffindor House finally arrived and saw Miss Puckle already there, her first words were, "I assume this has something to do with my new 'transfer student'? Surely he's not in trouble already?"

"No, he's fine, now…but he did spend the night in the Hospital Wing with Miss Granger. I apologize for not telling you sooner, but since he was in no danger I did not find it necessary to wake you."

"I appreciate that, Albus. With all that we are going to be dealing with this year, I'm sure I could use one last night of uninterrupted sleep. I still don't agree with your decision to let the ersatz Moody remain at school, by the way. What caused him to need Poppy's services?"

"He was attacked in the hall not too far from Gryffindor Tower by more than one person using the Full-Body-Bind, according to our Head Nurse." As he saw her angry reaction to the news, Dumbledore continued quickly "However, Miss Granger was able to bring him out of it quicker than we expected, so he will be ready for his classes this morning. And, Minerva, before you accuse me once again of not taking care of Harry, I have already started the investigation into the identity of his attackers. In answer to your obvious question, no, I doubt that our 'simulated' Alastor was in any way responsible, since I am keeping a close watch on him through various means. I have explained my reasoning to you on this subject previously, and I am certain we must not interfere. But, that is of less importance than what happened as a result of the attack. When Poppy was examining him, she discovered evidence that he has been exposed to a time-reverser field with a 5-year time shift. Of course, she felt she had to tell him about this soon after she told Hermione that she had aged two years' subjective time. So, unfortunately, I feel it is only a matter of time before the three of them start asking hard questions about what could have caused Harry's change, and I'm not sure what we should tell them."

"Yes, knowing our Poppy, she's bound to figure it out soon. I think it is time to bring her into our confidence, since she is bound by her healer's oath to keep these things private. As to Harry and Hermione, any ideas, Harmony? After all, you should probably know her best."

"Actually, that's what's bothering me. I'm not sure I do know her all that well any more. I mean, when I used the time-turner in my timeline, I obeyed ALL of the rules…" As she saw the look that Albus gave her, she hastily said "…well, almost all of them…but I surely didn't repeat more than two years subjective time. It was closer to six months, if I remember correctly. But, of course, I had more help with Buckbeak's defense, and I was a little less likely to spend repeated hours in the library since I had Harry and Ron to drag me out more often. No, she's definitely a different person in many ways than I was. She's much more confident with Harry, for one thing, and less enamored of Ron…" Harmony smiled guiltily, knowing that she was a major reason for that change in Hermione. "And, after hearing what Poppy said to them when she didn't know we were listening, I'm still not sure that's not for the best."

"Yes, I just hope you are correct in your supposition," Albus sighed. "They are quite formidable as a couple, aren't they? I am still concerned, however, that they are not yet ready for what will face them this year. I fear greatly for their safety…and their happiness, especially if Voldemort becomes aware of their relationship. I hope that they are able to keep it as private as possible. Minerva, both Harmony and I have asked them to be discreet. Maybe if the request also came from their Head of House, they would comply easier. I'm sure they will tell someone, most likely Ron and Ginny Weasley, so you might bring them all in to discuss this soon."

"Surely, Albus. I'll invite them to meet with me as soon as possible; and I'll invite Poppy down to the Three Broomsticks for a chat over drinks soon and explain the situation to her, if that meets with your approval?" Dumbledore nodded, glad that McGonagall had volunteered to break the news to her friend. "Now, that leaves us with what to do about Harry and Hermione."

"Yeah, too bad Gilderoy isn't around still…we could use a couple of good memory charms right now!" Harmony said to her two mentors jokingly. But, when she noticed they weren't laughing, her jaw dropped. "No…surely not…you can't be seriously considering…"

. . . .

Heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead in the Great Hall as Harry, Ron and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast. A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament.

"Today's not bad…outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures…damn it, we're still with the Slytherins… Harry, you'd better be careful today. I'm sure Malfoy's not going to let your new status go without trying something."

"Yeah, I know…I'll be keeping my eye out for them." Harry said as he continued to look at his schedule. "Double Divination this afternoon…"

However, Malfoy was uncharacteristically well-behaved during Hagrid's class that day, except for a few remarks about the usefulness of blast-ended skrewts. When Harry thought about it, and much as he hated to admit it, Draco's evaluation was probably very accurate. After surviving his first Divination class of the term, he and Ron headed back for dinner with Hermione. They had just joined the queue with the other students in the entrance hall when a loud voice rang out behind them. "Weasley! Hey, Weasley!"

Harry, Ron, and Hermione turned. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing there, each looking very angry about something.

"What?" said Ron shortly.

"Just giving you fair warning. If you know what's good for you, you and your little sister better stay clear of that scar-headed house traitor and that filthy mudblood wench he seems to want to bed. I'd hate to see two purebloods, even one from a blood traitor family such as yours, get caught in the crossfire on accident! What do the Muggles call it? Oh, yes, 'collateral damage' - such a useful phrase…but very descriptive."

"What are you on about, 'Golden Boy'?" Harry said sharply, angry at his implied threat against Hermione. "What makes you think you've got the stones to pull off a threat against me - by yourself, anyway? Now that I think about it, I'd almost swear that one of the hooded goons that attacked me last night was wearing robes just like yours…I'm sure the Headmaster would be interested in that observation, eh, Draco?" he finished, turning away.

"BANG!

Several people screamed - Harry felt something white-hot graze the side of his face - he plunged his hand into his robes for his wand, but before he'd even touched it, he heard a second loud BANG, and a roar that echoed through the entrance hall.

"OH NO YOU DON'T, LADDIE!"

Harry spun around. Professor Moody was limping down the marble staircase. His wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure white ferret, which was shivering on the stone-flagged floor, exactly where Malfoy had been standing.

There was a terrified silence in the entrance hall. Nobody but Moody was moving a muscle. Moody turned to look at Harry - at least, his normal eye was looking at Harry; the other one was pointing into the back of his head.

"Did he get you?" Moody growled. His voice was low and gravelly.

"No," said Harry, "missed."

"LEAVE IT!" Moody shouted.

"Leave - what?" Harry said, bewildered.

"Not you - him!" Moody growled, jerking his thumb over his shoulder at Crabbe, who had just frozen, about to pick up the white ferret. It seemed that Moody's rolling eye was magical and could see out of the back of his head.

Moody started to limp toward Crabbe, Goyle, and the ferret, which gave a terrified squeak and took off, streaking toward the dungeons.

"I don't think so!" roared Moody, pointing his wand at the ferret again - it flew ten feet into the air, fell with a smack to the floor, and then bounced upward once more. "I don't like people who attack when their opponent's back's turned," growled Moody as the ferret bounced higher and higher, squealing in pain. "Stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do…"

The ferret flew through the air, its legs and tail flailing helplessly.

"Never - do - that - again -" said Moody, speaking each word as the ferret hit the stone floor and bounced upward again.

"Professor Moody!" said two voices, one sounding shocked, while the other sounded as if she was having some trouble controlling her giggles.

Professor McGonagall and Miss Puckle were coming down the marble staircase, carrying a large pile of books between them.

"Ladies…" said Moody calmly, nodding his head at the two while bouncing the ferret still higher.

Harmony could no longer stifle her laughter, so she hurried over towards the trio, trying to appear as if she were concerned about their well-being. <Wouldn't have missed a chance to see that scene again for anything...> she thought happily as she winked at her younger self.

(A/N - For those of you who wonder why I am writing this fic to be a "chastity-before-marriage" based H/Hr relationship, I am just following my interpretation of JKR's own comments on the subject. Here's a section from a well-known interview she had with Katie Couric, found at http://www.quick-quote-quill.org/articles/2003/0620-dateline-couric.htm

<snip>

Couric: "Any snogging with Hermione?"

Rowling: (slight frown) "Hermione and Harry! Do you think so?"

<snip>

Couric: We should probably explain that snogging means kissing."

Rowling: "Yeah."

Couric: "Lest people think they were shagging!"

Rowling: "Lest people think you're talking about something completely inappropriate."

So, I take that to mean that any shagging between the two would have to be considered very OOC/AU, and I am trying to stay as close to canon characterizations as I can with this story. Now, don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that other authors here can't write the relationship the way they choose to, at whatever rating they feel comfortable with, but in this story I will stick to a PG-13 rating, since I too am "Keeping a Promise". However, since they ARE hormonal teenagers, I'm sure they will be tempted - often - over the rest of this story, but it won't ever go past JKR's "line in the sand". So, if you're reading along hoping for that scene, sorry to disappoint you! Actually, I'll be very surprised if canon Harry and Hermione will get married until after the final battle with Voldemort, -assuming of course that they both survive :-(

As to the chapter title - Furonem, I understand, is Latin for thief - and is the root word for ferret, while pulsum is Latin for a repeated beat, push, impulse, or blow, so that's my guess as to what Moody's spell was!)