Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Place of Contemplation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Place of Contemplation

jardyn39

A Place of Contemplation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 10: Two Demands

Harry woke to a smell of burning. He opened his eyes, straining to see what was going on.

He wasn't wearing his glasses, so everything was unfocused. He appeared to be laying on a couch in the middle of a room with a low ceiling. Lanterns were spaced evenly around the walls.

Harry struggled to move, and the couch made a small squeak as he strained.

There was movement across the room. It was a shadow.

A voice behind him said, "Ah, awake at last. Just in time."

Harry felt his glasses being placed upon his face and then a smiling face came into view.

"How do you do?" said the elderly goblin. "My name is, Grundock, since you probably won't remember the last time we met. I am an Elder and member of the Goblin council."

"I'm Harry Potter," replied Harry groggily. "We've met before?"

"I'm afraid you've been in and out of consciousness for most of the last few hours. We usually get this far in the conversation when you pass out again."

"Sorry, I'll try and stay awake a little longer this time."

"Your glasses were damaged. I have brazed the broken piece back on as a temporary measure."

"Um, thanks," said Harry, half wishing he could see the repair. Goblin metalwork was second to none.

Harry tried to move again, and felt his movement constricted.

"I shouldn't bother trying to move," Grundock said casually, busying himself with something out of Harry's view.

Harry looked down and realised he was strapped to the couch. He looked around the room again and realised he wasn't lying on a couch at all. He was in an interrogation chair and this was an interrogation room.

He had no doubt at all, that the goblins would not restrain themselves when interviewing captured wizards. After all, it looked like the wizards had being torturing every goblin they caught and the displayed the heads for them to see.

Perhaps that was going to be his fate.

"What happened to the others?" asked Harry.

"Well, we found a male and a female with you, but don't worry about them."

Harry tried to pull his arm out from under the straps.

"Relax, Harry Potter. You'll hurt yourself."

"Sure, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun."

"Sorry?"

"You are going to torture me, aren't you? Not that I really blame you, really, after what they did."

Grundock turned to face him and frowned slightly. He walked forward and released the straps binding Harry.

"There. Now lie still or you'll fall off."

"I don't understand," said Harry, completely thrown by Grundock's actions.

"Well, I've no idea what you were hit with, but it will take your Healers to repair the damage. I gave you a strong painkiller, but I can't do anything about your internal injuries. I doubt whether you can stand, actually."

"I meant, why did you release me?"

"We are not going to torture you. We have managed not to descend to the levels your kind has employed lately."

"Those people have nothing to do with me."

"We know. Fortunately, the snakes managed to communicate your intentions in time. We were about to unleash our own assault."

"You knew about the attacks?"

"Nothing happens in our tunnels without our knowledge. We actually allowed some tunnels to be occupied in order to gather more intelligence. We were listening to most of their orders as they were given.

"We were able to wake the Giants a little earlier than they anticipated, so they just fought amongst themselves. Our contingency plan to deal with the Trolls was a little desperate, though. I much preferred your solution.

"No, our main problem was that we couldn't get up out of the tunnels as they were sealed by the building they built over Gringotts. We dug supply tunnels, of course, but we were seriously inconvenienced. Whoever thought to build it, using charms we could not penetrate, showed goblin like cunning."

Harry looked down, realising that Hermione was the only one he knew who might have thought of something like that.

"Don't worry," said Grundock handing him a goblet of water. "We will not demand reprisals provided those involved receive appropriate punishments. We know that men are weak."

"Thanks," said Harry quietly, taking a sip of water.

"Why did you do it, Harry Potter?"

"I was in search of Stein when I realised I had an opportunity to help."

"Yes, we were after Stein for a long time too," Grundock admitted. "It was a good deception, but the return of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was the greater deception."

"You knew about Voldemort?"

Grundock didn't flinch at all.

"So," he said with a wide smile, "you really do say Voldemort's same."

Harry snorted and nodded. Goblins had a reputation for cleverness and they liked to test others.

"When did you realise?" Harry asked.

"Well, there were rumours amongst the tunnel wizards for months. They kept discussing how Voldemort would have done things the same way. We couldn't understand why he would be after the gold, though. Voldemort always wanted power, not money."

Harry nodded and said, "He found a way to come back again. He possessed a friend of mine this time. Ron had his own obsessions though."

They were quiet for a moment.

"Did you find another body, in the adjacent room? That's where Ron was."

"No. Three storeys collapsed. We did not detect any life under there, so we left the rubble alone. We could not get under there before the wizards arrived, anyway."

Harry nodded sadly.

"You'll be glad to know," said Grundock, "that none of the vaults were broken into. We did allow them into a couple of levels, but they all contained traps."

Harry shrugged. The vaults seemed less important somehow.

"There's something I don't understand, though," said Harry, staring into his goblet. "I left almost immediately after Voldemort was defeated last time, and yet it took him barely a year to take power again. How could everyone let that happen?"

Grundock sighed and said, "That isn't a wizarding problem, it's a human problem. Moderate people will always stand by and allow an extremist to act. In this instance the changes were brought about very efficiently.

"Fear and intimidation are powerful controlling influences. If you know your family is genuinely at risk if you do or don't act in a particular way, even if you know it is wrong, it is difficult to resist.

"Add the fact that people invariably follow orders and become accustomed to things, no matter how cruel, and it is almost inevitable that Voldemort and his like will find an easy foothold."

"That's a terrifying thought."

"Oh, I don't know," said Grundock. "I would say that you are an extremist, Harry Potter. You would be capable of just as much cruelty as Voldemort if pushed."

Harry opened his mouth to argue, but realised it was true. Well, almost true.

"That might be correct, apart from the influences I have known. Dumbledore made me realise that some things are unacceptable, even when fighting Voldemort. There have been other influences too, probably stronger, actually."

"All I meant to suggest," said Grundock gently, "is that it is time for an extremist to lead moderate wizards back to a moderate attitude."

Harry looked down and said quietly, "I'm really not sure."

"A year ago, you made a decision. You were wrong. I don't care that you were probably only able to defeat Voldemort yet another time by being absent from the wizard community. In my judgement, you made the wrong decision."

Harry nodded and said in a whisper, "I know I did."

"Wizard law cannot punish you for that. In any case, it would be unfair to blame you for the actions of others, just because you were not there to attempt to prevent them."

Harry frowned and asked, "What about goblin law?"

"Is there even such a thing?"

"There is if you say so," asserted Harry. "I mean, if Goblins say so."

"Precisely."

"Um, sorry, but I still don't understand."

"I want two things. Firstly, the Wizard and Goblin treaties of the past are to be repealed and replaced with new joint laws that truly recognise us as equals. There are some goblin property and ownership rights that will need to be negotiated, but essentially we want real equality in all the statutes."

"That seems fair, but didn't the last round of treaties need a revolt followed by years of negotiation."

"True, but this time we essentially won unconditionally, thanks to you. If wizards want access to their cash and valuables, we expect a little co-operation."

"Just remember that people will need to feed and clothe themselves. If you are not careful you will just build up resentment again. What is your second demand?"

Grundock smiled widely at him.

"You have just fulfilled it, or taken a step towards it, anyway."

"Er, sorry?"

"Simply, I want you to accept the appointment you will be offered shortly."

"Appointment?"

"I expect you to work for the interests of all that come before you, mind you."

Harry looked at the goblin entirely dumbfounded.

"Goblins haven't been permitted to take their seats of the Wizengamot for hundreds of years. Even the fact that we had seats has been repressed. For many years now, Albus Dumbledore was the Goblin representative."

"I didn't know."

"Neither did most of the other members, actually."

"You'll want to take your seats now, though, right?"

"Yes, in time. For the immediate future, I am charging you with that responsibility."

"You can still make appointments to the Wizengamot?"

"No, but we can influence the decisions. I confess that Stein was one of ours. We were hoping that a moderate would bring a little stability to the proceedings. You can see why we'd quite like to try a more extremist approach?"

"Even if I was offered a place, I'm far too young. I don't know the law!"

"We are re-writing the laws, remember. Anyway, we don't want a lawyer or a politician. We would prefer someone prepared to face a hoard of charging Mountain Trolls."

"Actually, I ran from the trolls."

"Only after you had their full attention. Besides, knowing when to run just shows sound judgement," retorted Grundock. Then he added more gently, "I know you are still young, younger even than Dumbledore when he joined the Wizengamot, but he knew you would be called one day, with or without our help."

Harry shrugged and said, "He was always an optimist."

"The Wizengamot will need to re-form. Regrettably, most of the most able members - the ones who tried to resist - are no longer available. Those that remain put their own survival before their duty to the wider wizarding community. Worse, with the temporary absence of likely candidates, several will seek nomination simply in order to pursue personal interests.

"Right now, the Wizengamot needs to be reminded what it is really there for and what it stands for. They need to hear the voice of an idealist who won't compromise to abuse of power.

"It comes down to this: Are you prepared to stand by and allow more injustices or will you take a stand?"

"I'm not sure I can, alone I mean."

"You have never truly been alone, Harry Potter. Not in any sense that counts, anyway."

"I may be now, though," Harry added darkly, as the image of Hermione's eyes passed through his mind.

"I suspect that this burden will not be placed on your shoulder's alone, Harry Potter."

Harry thought for a moment and then said, "Hang on. How did you know about what happened to me? I mean, that I've been away?"

"The reconnaissance party that retrieved you, also happened to locate several most secret files."

"Did many records survive? They might be handy."

"The records are remarkably intact. Now, I will shortly render you unconscious for your journey back up. It will more comfortable for you that way, and in addition you will be unable to remember your route. Is there anything else you wish to ask?"

"You said you wouldn't seek reprisals, but what about reparations?"

Grundock just grinned widely. Harry realised that he hadn't really needed to ask.

Harry nodded and grinned back at him.

Grundock flicked his fingers, and Harry's head fell back.