Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Place of Contemplation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Place of Contemplation

jardyn39

A Place of Contemplation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 7: The Resistance

They Apparated directly into the female changing rooms at, "Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions," in Diagon Alley.

"Potter, open your eyes," ordered Snape testily.

"Leave Harry alone, Severus."

Harry opened his eyes to see Mrs Weasley hugging Snape. She quickly moved on to him.

"Oh, Harry, thank you for coming. Are you fully recovered? Are you really sure you want to do this now?"

"I'm fine, thanks to you."

Harry's face grew suddenly serious as he said, "Mrs Weasley, I'm so sorry about Mr Weasley and Bill. I wish I'd known before."

She tried to respond, but somehow all she could do was fall back into his embrace and cry quietly into his shoulder. It was as if she could hold everything back only as long as she knew, or at least pretended, that Harry didn't know.

Even Snape appeared emotional, clearly feeling her pain, placing a reassuring hand gently on her shoulder before leaving the small room to check the store was secure.

They stood for a long moment, before Mrs Weasley pushed herself away and dabbed her eyes.

"You're just in time," she said thickly. "There's a lunchtime Reception and all the family has been ordered to attend."

"Ordered?"

"Yes, dear. It's how it is now. Fred, George and Charlie are waiting for me in the front of the shop. They usually get arrested after and interrogated, but they have always let them go again afterwards. This time might be longer, because they suspect you visited the Burrow."

Mrs Weasley was trying to make light of the things she was saying, but her voice was wavering and betraying her real emotions.

"The Reception is at the Ministry?" asked Harry, already thinking how they could get in undetected.

"No, dear. They have a new building just along the street. It's only a short walk from here."

Mrs Weasley tapped Harry on the head with the tip of her wand and muttered an incantation.

Instantly his hair grew longer and red in colour. Looking in the changing room mirror, Harry smiled to see him looking every bit a Weasley. His scar was nicely concealed as well.

"There, dear. One more redhead won't be noticed. It will change back to normal later."

"How shall I get in?" asked Snape, coming back into the changing room.

"Here, you have an actual invitation, I'm afraid. It was delivered to me, so they must know about our meetings as well. Harry, please give Severus your wand."

He did so.

"Now, Harry. Please don't perform magic until you really have to. Also, don't deny who you are if challenged. Just say you are Harry Potter and you are a member of the Weasley family. That will get you through any outer checkpoints.

"The most important thing is for you not to draw attention to yourself. Watch how others behave and try to copy them. Look nobody in the eye. Converse only with those you know and never allow yourself to be overheard. When you have to speak to strangers, give only the minimum information possible."

Harry was a little stunned, but nodded in understanding. Fortunately, however, Mrs Weasley had described almost exactly his preferred method of travelling on London's public transport buses.

*

As they walked down Diagon Alley towards the new featureless black marble building that dominated the entire area, Harry couldn't believe how much had changed.

Gone were the happy throngs of shoppers. Now people hurried along, scared to be caught out in the open.

When he had stepped out of the changing rooms, Harry had been confident that his three Weasley friends waiting for their mother would jump at the chance to help. He had been quite shocked by the state he found them in.

They appeared to be shocked by his sudden reappearance as well.

They greeted him in a friendly enough way, but fear was written into their features. They bore the marks of many interrogations, and clearly they dreaded what would inevitably happen to them later.

There were no jokes about his new hair from the twins. Indeed, Harry could hardly tell they were twins now. Fred walked with a limp and George had burn scars around his neck, but it was far more than just the physical changes.

Fred and George had rarely needed to talk much in order to know the other's thoughts. Now, though, Harry felt that level communication was gone.

Charlie trailed behind them, his head held low. Harry could hardly believe that someone who used to work with dragons was afraid to look him in the eye. Then he realised. Charlie was afraid to look anybody in the eye now.

Ahead, two watch wizards stood guard outside the impressive entrance.

Harry watched as a small group of guests entered the building which appeared to throw everything else into shadow.

"Where has Gringotts gone?"

"The new building was built on top of Gringotts bank, Harry," advised Mrs Weasley quietly. "The Ministry has been fighting for ages to get into the vaults. In the end they just built over the whole bank to ensure no one escaped. You can see its much bigger than the bank was."

"They actually got into the vaults?" Harry asked, suddenly concerned about his own magical possessions which were all deposited in Gringotts.

"Well, we're not too sure. We know the Goblins put up quite a fight. The rumour is that they are still fighting underground, but the last official announcement was that the siege of the bank hadn't been breached yet."

Harry looked up at the imposing building. There were no windows, that he could see. There looked like there was a balcony overlooking the street at the Second Floor or so, but that was all. Harry looked to the sides and realised that the shops adjacent to the new building looked like they had been squashed up to make room, their shopfronts now being all distorted.

Harry suddenly realised.

"Ollivander's has gone!" he said in disbelief.

"That's right, dear," said Mrs Weasley. "Everyone has to obtain their wand from the Ministry now. It's the law. Well, those that qualify can buy them, anyway. The Ministry felt that wands should not be available to everybody."

He stared at the boarded up shop as they passed, wondering what had happened to Mr Ollivander.

Harry steeled himself as they approached the guards.

They didn't pay them the slightest attention. Harry guessed that not too many uninvited guests dared to venture inside this particular building.

They passed down a long wide corridor. Portraits were hung on either side and their occupants glowered at them as they passed by.

Occasionally there were open doors. Harry peered inside as they passed, mentally assessing the number and strength of the security guards. There were certainly many, judging from the rows of benches and tables.

As they passed one door, one of the guards just inside noticed him looking and reached out to grab Harry.

"Why are you being so nosey? What's your name?" he asked aggressively.

"Weasley," replied Harry threateningly, deciding not to use his real name just yet.

The guard looked over and saw a nervous looking Mrs Weasley and several redheads.

He blanched and released Harry at once, spluttering an apology.

"What's your name?" demanded Harry. "Ron will be so interested."

The guard started shaking now, and made a hurried excuse to leave.

Harry had to be shoved by Mrs Weasley to get him moving again. Harry couldn't believe the reaction that Ron's name had produced. Something was very wrong here.

They then came to a table with two bored looking guards standing either side of it. On the silk covered table top was a large bowl with coins inside. A small sign explained that all proceeds would go to a Ministry charity for the benefit of loyal pureblood families.

"Donations entirely voluntary," read the sign.

Harry seethed reading the sign, and he was about to kick over the table when Snape grabbed his arm painfully.

Mrs Weasley placed a few Sickles in the bowl and said clearly, "From the loyal Weasley family."

A quill shot across a scroll of paper next to the bowl, recording her contribution.

As they moved on, Snape dragged Harry past.

Harry shook himself free and looked back. Another small group was at the donation bowl now. One of them was being lead away by a guard. Obviously, their voluntary donation hadn't been good enough.

Eventually they exited into a great hall, draped in black silk hangings. Along two long sides were long tables, laden with food and delicacies. Along the back was another table with drinks.

As Harry passed he made to pick up a couple of glasses.

Mrs Weasley grabbed his arm and whispered urgently, "No, Harry, dear. Not until we have permission."

Harry frowned. He had assumed they would blend in better with a glass in hand, but he realised that everyone else was standing around empty handed, and looking distinctly nervous.

Harry looked around. Snape was nowhere to be seen. He assumed he had concealed himself amongst the gathering crowd.

A middle aged woman sidled up to them and said, out of the corner of her mouth, "Hello, Molly. They say they've caught him. It's about to be announced."

"Caught who?" asked Mrs Weasley.

"Longbottom of course, the Resistance leader!"

"Goodness!" cried Mrs Weasley, genuinely shocked.

The woman eyed Harry suspiciously.

"This is Harry, Gladys. It's his first time here. He's visiting from the country."

Gladys appeared to brighten at once.

"Oh, you must come and see properly."

She grabbed his arm and led him almost to the front of the crowd and then pulled him off to the side.

"Sometimes the Minister likes to be introduced to new people," she said excitedly.

"The Minister will be here?"

"Perhaps. Actually, he hasn't appeared for a while."

"How often do you come?"

"Nowadays our invitations come around once a fortnight. It's so nice of them to go to so much trouble for us."

She sounded quite terrified.

"We are only too happy to attend, of course. I say we, but I'm on my own today. My husband, Charles, hasn't been released from last time yet. Of course, I'm not complaining," she added quickly, perhaps mindful that Harry might be an informant.

The crowd began murmuring and Harry watched as four guards dragged someone through the crowd, before throwing him bodily at the front of the hall, a few feet in front of the closed doors. The guards withdrew.

Neville was chained with his hands tied behind his back and his legs tied at his knees and ankles. His face and shirt were soaked with fresh blood.

He was still for a long moment and the crowd gave a collective gasp when he began to move.

Neville pulled himself into a ball and rolled over onto his knees. With a great effort. He hoisted himself up, looking around with contempt.

He spat onto the highly polished floor.

Neville looked around again, and this time his and Harry's eyes met for just a moment. Neither reacted in any way.

At that moment the great pair of doors at the front of the hall opened. Guards streamed out and took up positions either side of the door. All of them had their wands in hand.

The crowd held its breath as a lone figure walked confidently out towards Neville.

He stretched his arms out in welcome and said loudly, "Neville! How nice of you to drop by!"

Neville swore at him.

"We've been looking forward to having you join us. Still, so long as you've had your fun, that's the main thing."

"Others will continue to resist you!" shouted Neville angrily.

"Really? Well, perhaps. But not from your group, eh?" he added with a grin. "Don't be too hard on them, Neville. That reward money must have been awfully tempting. Mind you, I was genuinely surprised at how many remained loyal to you, even right up to the end."

"Get it over with," demanded Neville.

"No, my boy," Stein assured him menacingly. "It won't be over for a while, I'm afraid. You have much to tell us first. When it is the end, of course, we'll just have to invite a certain Miss Weasley to witness the momentous event, won't we?"

"She's alive?"

Stein laughed a cold, high, unnaturally emotionless laugh that chilled Harry to the quick.

He knew who his true adversary was now.

It was impossible, but somehow Voldemort had returned yet again.

Harry felt another surge of guilt that he had left his friends and the entire magical community to suffer at his mercy.

Stein made a small signal with his fingers.

Four of the guards standing behind him moved forward and dragged a struggling Neville out through the great doors. The remaining guards moved forward towards the back of the hall, winding their way through the guests.

Harry guessed they would pick out and detain those people they had orders to interrogate.

"Friends," said Stein, addressing the crowd, his arms outstretched once more, "thank you for coming. Please partake of the food and drink provided for your enjoyment.

"I understand that the Ministry wishes to interview one or two of you. I know that with your help and continued loyalty, our community will continue to grow strong, without interference and contamination from less worthy influences.

"You will be glad to know that our land and property reforms are continuing well. Many of you will shortly be provided with leases for confiscated properties, as part of our ongoing land redistribution programme. It has taken a little longer than we planned to remove or subjugate the existing occupants in some isolated instances.

"Well, I must return to my duties. I would very much like to have the time to talk to you individually, but the siege is at a critical stage.

"Please forgive me, and enjoy yourselves for the remainder of the evening."

Stein gave a short bow and the audience immediately began clapping him loudly.

He turned and marched out back through the great doors. He was alone now, and Harry was determined to follow and confront him. He didn't have his wand, but Snape was still nowhere to be seen.

Gladys made an audible gasp when she saw where Harry was headed.

Fortunately she was too shocked to do anything else.

Harry slipped through the pair of enormous doors just before they closed with a dull thunk.

*

Harry paused on the other side of the doors.

Stein had gone.

Harry listened for a moment, but everything was quiet. He decided to continue down the long corridor, towards a single door that was larger than the other doors and elaborately decorated.

He caught his reflection in a gilt edged mirror and started, unused to seeing himself with long red hair. Almost at once, Mrs Weasley's charm dispersed and he found himself looking at his usual untidy black hair.

Harry proceeded along the corridor, listening at each closed door, but hearing nothing.

Something made him pause at one door about halfway along the long corridor. He tried the gold handle, and found the door was unlocked. Harry slipped inside and closed the door quietly.

Harry fought his immediate feeling of nausea. He wasn't sure if the smell of burning skin or the sight before him was worse.

He quickly stepped over to the interrogation chair which contained the room's only occupant. The goblin was clearly dead. Horrendous burns covered one arm and most of his chest. Blood covered his face, hands and feet. A small stainless steel bowl at the side contained the goblin's fingers and toes.

Harry reached for a white cloth draped over a nearby chair and laid in gently over the goblin's head and upper body.

He knew he shouldn't leave any sign that he'd been there, and could almost hear Snape's reprimand.

It wasn't that he couldn't bear the sight of the goblin's lifeless eyes, it was a sign of respect.

Harry vowed silently to avenge this act of appalling cruelty, and then made to leave the room when he noticed another door across the room.

Harry went over and listened before silently opening the door.

A young man was sitting with his back towards him, dictating his report to a magical quill that was darting across a scroll on his desk. He was casually wiping blood off his hands as he spoke.

"Conclusion. As suspected, this junior ranking goblin, name unknown, was able to provide no useful information but the interrogation was continued to again gather statistics on pain and endurance information on this species.

"Recommendation. The head will be removed and displayed at a location to be determined by the siege commander and the body is hereby authorised for disposal."

Harry stepped forward.

"Report completed by- Hey, who are you? Argh!"

Harry left the room quietly, the quill quivering but now standing at a stationary point on the scroll.