Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Place of Contemplation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Place of Contemplation

jardyn39

A Place of Contemplation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 13: Nothing Else Will Do

Harry woke early and crept out of the bedroom so as not to disturb Hermione. As he passed the last door before the top of the stairs, Harry heard giggling.

Smiling, he opened the door.

"Have you any idea what time this is?" he asked smiling. "It's practically the middle of the night."

His small daughter laughed and threw her soft toy to one side. Holding up her arms, she wordlessly demanded to be carried downstairs.

"Alright, but remember we must be quiet so Mummy can sleep."

Lily held a finger to her mouth and made quiet, "Shh," noises to him all the way down into the kitchen. Once they got there, she wriggled to get free.

Hermione generally preferred to leave Lily in her bedroom until it was time to rise. Harry knew he was encouraging her not to sleep, but he did enjoy these early mornings he spent with his youngest child. Not that she would be the youngest for much longer.

Harry made himself some tea and readied a beaker of water for when Lily was ready for a drink.

There was a soft knock on the back door. Harry stepped across and opened it at once.

"Grundock!" exclaimed Harry. "Come in! It's been ages. Hello Greta, how are you?"

Greta, Grundock's rebellious granddaughter, scowled at him. Harry grinned back at her, quite accustomed to her ways.

"I like your tee shirt," continued Harry. "What does it say?"

Greta smiled evilly as she straightened her top to reveal the slogan, "Death to Wizards!"

Harry nodded while Grundock rolled his eyes.

"Greda!" cried Lily from across the room and darted towards her.

"Look out for the table!" shouted Greta as Lily ran right under the table, her head clearing the hard wooden top by the barest amount. She wouldn't be able to do that for much longer.

Greta sighed with relief as Lily emerged unscathed from under the table and ran into her outstretched arms for a hug. For all her anti-wizard views, Greta cared rather a lot for the toddling Lily.

Lily, of course, absolutely adored Greta. Harry was sure all she wanted to be when she grew up was a glamorous Goblin princess, just like Greta.

While Greta and Lily went off to plot Goblin rebellions in the living room, Grundock sat at the kitchen table. Harry brought over two tiny glasses and an ancient bottle of spirits.

Harry generally didn't drink this early, but any visit by Grundock was a special occasion.

He poured a thimbleful of the golden liquid in each glass before sitting.

They toasted each other and to the prosperity and good health of their families.

"It's really good to see you, Grundock. You should come over more."

"I should like to, but there never seems to enough time. I wanted to come over today, because of the trial that finished last week."

"Oh, yes. I'm sorry about the verdict."

"Don't be, I'm not," said Grundock immediately.

"The Wizengamot judged fairly. That was the first time that both a Goblin and a Wizard were convicted under the same laws."

"I suppose it was," agreed Harry.

"Your friend, Mr Longbottom, has certainly found his feet."

Harry smiled and nodded.

"But what about yourself?"

"Well, I'm not sure really. I have thought about other things. I had a very tempting offer from the Ministry recently, but it would mean I'd have to cut down on the time I spend attending the Wizengamot."

"I think you should reconsider. You'll still be on the Wizengamot but you'd have more free time to spend with your family."

"Are you sure? I feel I still owe you."

"Harry, you owe nothing," said Grundock gently. "Anyway, just consider the types of cases you are hearing now. They are rather mundane as a rule, aren't they?"

"I suppose. Still, I'd rather that than have a Dark Lord back."

"And yet, Mr Longbottom revels in these cases."

They were interrupted by laughter coming from the living room.

"Is Greta still planning on attending Hogwarts?"

"I'm afraid so. She won't find it easy."

"No, but if anyone can make a go of it there, she will."

Lily came toddling into the kitchen, her arms outstretched and grinning widely. All the way up both arms she was wearing silver bracelets.

"What are you wearing, darling?" asked Hermione from the doorway.

Harry realised what the bracelets were only a moment before Hermione burst into laughter, gathering her daughter into her arms.

Greta was grinning sheepishly.

"I do believe," said Hermione, sounding amused, "that you are wearing every one of the teaspoons from the set of silver cutlery Gran and Grandad bought us for a wedding present."

Lily nodded proudly, looking down and admiring her new jewellery.

"Hello, Grundock," she said warmly. "Come on Greta. I think the least you can do is help bath our little Miss here."

Greta went closer and was immediately hugged and kissed by Hermione. Greta blushed, never comfortable to receive outward displays of affection.

As the three girls went upstairs, Grundock stood and pulled out a small leather pouch.

Harry wasn't sure what it was, but he stood as well.

"Harry Potter, the last time I presented you with a token, you were in no condition to remember it properly. The gold in this token is from the Apollo mines, a gift from the Goblin people to someone who has proved his friendship."

Harry knew that the Apollo mines were reserved since ancient times. The gold mined there was never mixed with ordinary gold.

"The silver inlayed is a modest gift from my family in thanks of the welcome you have always given us.

"The words inscribed here have no monetary value, but they are from me since there is not enough gold in existence to buy your value to me.

"With this small token we avow our friendship to you.

"No matter how far you travel, nor how far your family grows, know always that the Goblin race and family will be here for you and your family."

Harry blinked back tears as he knelt and extended his hand to accept the pouch.

He opened the soft leather flap to reveal a new pair of glasses. The outside of the frame was a little lighter than his current pair, but the concealed side was extraordinary. Harry's eyes couldn't see the true fineness of the silver inlay work, but he could see the inscriptions. They were exactly as before.

Harry blinked and managed to say, "Thank you, Grundock. I'll always try to be worthy of your friendship."

A loud shriek of laughter came from upstairs and a small boy with incredibly scruffy hair suddenly appeared at the kitchen door. He was rubbing his eyes sleepily.

"Decided not to sleep in, then, Ron?" said Harry with a smile.

"Girls," was all he said, sounding just awake enough to be annoyed.

"Well, come and tell Grundock here what you've been up to while I get changed."

Ron immediately perked up and ran over to greet the grinning Goblin.

"Can we go and see the tunnels again? And the dragons?" asked Ron excitedly.

Grundock smiled and said, "Well, it would be nice to visit them again."

"Hey, quiet, about the dragons," warned Harry looking nervously towards the door. "If Hermione catches us we'll all be for it!"

Ron was too excited to care, though.

"Good grief," said Harry, "would you look at this?"

He picked up the silver object lying on the dresser. Greta must have left it there.

Harry wondered at the skill needed to make it. It looked like a tiara, made entirely from silver forks that were somehow woven together. The fork prongs were bent in spirals to look like flower petals.

"Yes, I'm sorry about that. We've hardly got any cutlery left at home, actually."

"No, I just meant this is amazing work."

Hermione appeared at the door and went over to Harry. Wrapping her arms around him, she said, "Well, we know what to get Grundock for Christmas!"

Harry and Grundock laughed.

"Lily says she wants to come and see the dragons as well."

"Wonderful," said Grundock. "You'll come too, of course, Hermione?"

"I'd like to, actually. If you think I can manage?"

"You sure?" asked Harry seriously. "Those tunnels can be difficult at the best of times."

Harry had learned the hard way that telling Hermione not to do something, no matter how advanced her pregnancy, was guaranteed to make her determined to try. Asking her to reconsider, though, usually made her see sense. Usually.

"No, Harry," said Grundock. "Hermione can take the civilised route. There is a nice comfortable railed trolley that goes straight there from the surface. The new one even goes at a sedate speed."

Harry raised his eyebrows. He'd always assumed the route they'd taken was the only way to get to the caves.

"I'm afraid it will take us a little longer to get there," admitted Grundock smiling. "Ron's a little older now and there's a particularly fine cavern I'd like to show him."

"Oh, that's fine. I'll have Lily for company and I expect the cave paintings will keep us amused."

Harry blanched.

Hermione immediately suspected something. Her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Oh, don't tell me they are real dragons?"

"Don't worry, Hermione," said Grundock reassuringly. "The dragons cannot reach the viewing platforms. It is perfectly safe there."

*

Ron yelled with delight as Harry pulled him and Greta back towards the rock face just in time. The dragon's flame shot up, and for a moment all they could see was a red and yellow wall of fire. Their ears were once again filled with the deafening roar from the dragon below.

They waited on the narrow ledge a moment before moving on. Ron was still straining to look over edge again.

Harry wasn't too worried about him getting burnt. Grundock had equipped both Ron and Greta with cloaks that made them more or less fireproof. There was a risk of falling, but Greta was a strong climber and even Ron was becoming sure footed.

The only thing that really concerned Harry was the fact the Hermione was watching them from the viewing platform high above. He had no doubt she would have something to say on the matter. Now she had seen how close the dragons were, it would be difficult to persuade her that they had been perfectly safe for most of the climb through the tunnels.

They got to the base of the last ladder, and began to climb. Grundock went first, followed by Ron, then Greta and then Harry. They went in this order to stop Ron climbing too far ahead and Harry could grab them if someone slipped.

Eventually they got to the top of the winding iron ladder, where they found Lily complaining loudly that see wanted to be close to the dragons too.

Harry was a little surprised when Ron immediately presented her with the charred egg fragment he'd recovered as they'd made their way past a nest.

The day ended with the six of them enjoying a picnic supper together on the terrace overlooking the dragons. Hermione and Grundock chatted as Harry continued to watch the dragons.

Ron and Lily sat either side of Greta. Ron was showing off his coat burns and Lily was explaining that she wanted a new pet for her birthday.

She wanted her own dragon, and nothing else would do.

AN: Just a short Epilogue to come….