Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Place of Contemplation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Place of Contemplation

jardyn39

A Place of Contemplation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 12: The Sensible Thing

Harry sat nervously at the small table in the middle of the Wizengamot Courtroom Ten. He looked around, thinking of everything that had happened in this imposing room since he had first seen it in Dumbledore's Pensieve.

Most of the Wizengamot members had seated themselves now and most were chatting fervently with their neighbours. As he scanned the front row, Harry wondered if the arguments that had preceded the trial would colour their verdicts. He could only hope they would not.

As he looked around, his gaze was drawn to the vacant chair reserved for the Accused, the chains hanging still on each sides.

He tried to swallow, but his throat was just too dry.

For a moment Harry considered reaching for the jug of water and pouring himself a glass of water. He quickly abandoned this idea when he realised how much his hands were shaking.

Neville limped up to him, rested his hand on Harry's shoulder and eased himself awkwardly into the seat next to Harry's.

It was Neville, of course, who had ensured that Harry was given the privilege of sitting in the courtroom at all during the trial. His hints that if Harry wasn't there to see that justice was served, he might just decide to close the Wizengamot down, had certainly been effective. No doubt the newspaper articles played a part too. Now he had his magic back he was regarded, more than ever, as another potential Dark Lord. Harry had been disappointed that he was there more by fear than trust, but at least he was there.

"How's the leg?" whispered Harry as Neville straightened his smart black robes.

"Fine, I'm feeling much better now," replied Neville in a normal voice, rubbing his thigh and resting his walking stick on the desk. "They are letting Ginny stay with Hermione until we get started this morning."

Neville smiled seeing Harry's concerned look and said, "Cheer up, Harry. This will all be over today. One way or another; at least we'll know."

Harry nodded.

"At least there shouldn't be any more surprise witnesses," Neville added with a smirk.

Harry groaned quietly and Neville suppressed a short laugh.

"It's not funny Neville. If I had any idea, I wouldn't have done any of it."

"I seriously doubt that. Anyway, I can't see how his evidence can harm us."

Harry wasn't so sure.

As soon as she had got out of hospital, Hermione had been remanded in Azkaban to await trial. Harry had demanded more or less unlimited visiting privileges, and to his regret, the Azkaban prison Governor had granted them.

The surprise witness had been none other than the Azkaban Governor himself, who had attended the Wizengamot unexpectedly and demanded to give evidence about Harry's antics on the island.

The one condition the Governor had placed upon Harry right from the beginning was that he had to surrender his wand before entering. Harry had agreed immediately to this. After all, if another prisoner got hold of a wand it would be disastrous.

Harry rather liked his visits to the island. This was the one place the Press was not allowed, and he found himself spending more and more time on the island.

It was still rather austere and the weather was invariably atrocious, but without the Dementors and with the attraction of Hermione, Harry found peace there.

Azkaban did not have facilities to cater for visitors, but the Governor allowed Harry to visit with Hermione in his walled garden. This was fine during the brief periods of fine weather the island enjoyed, but for the most part Harry visited her cell.

The guards would leave the food serving hatch to her cell door open and they would sit either side and talk.

The first thing Harry did was to magically transfigure the food hatch. Each visit it would mysteriously grow little by little until he could see her properly. Harry was amazed he wasn't caught sooner.

Emboldened, he grew more and more ambitious until the exasperated Governor called Harry to his office.

"I know it's you," accused the Governor.

"What is the problem?"

"The problem is, Miss Granger has submitted a complaint."

"About me?"

"No, about her cell."

"What's wrong with her cell?"

"Well, it appears to be growing in size, for one thing."

"It was a bit cramped, though, wasn't it? Especially with all her books in there."

"Her cell was one of the largest we have. You insisted she had that one because of the size."

"That, and the fact that she can get the sun for most of the day."

"Look, somehow she got hold of a copy of Volume One of the Ministry regulations for this place, and now she insists upon having nothing more than the minimum required by the regulations."

Harry grinned and said, "I hope you put your foot down. You can't let the prisoners tell you how to run your jail!"

"She can be a little intimidating, though."

"She just wants to punish herself for something she didn't do."

"I didn't agree to move her, but I did agree to inspect her cell."

"Oh," said Harry, his smile fading a little. "That was very, er, generous."

"I noticed a number of other changes, as well."

"Really?" asked Harry in what he thought was an innocent voice.

"The first thing I noticed was the lack of a cell door."

"She does have a door!"

"The one she has isn't a cell door. It has brass ironmongery and a letterbox, for goodness sake! I'm sorry, but it has to go. It needs a spy hole."

"She has a spy hole!"

"No, the one she has is for looking out; we need one for looking in to make sure our prisoner is okay."

Harry shrugged. He was going to change the door again anyway to stop Hermione from having a go at him.

"The window has got a bit bigger, hasn't it?"

"Just a bit," agreed Harry.

"Big enough to see the new balcony through it, anyway."

"She had to have that balcony. I was afraid she might fall out of the window otherwise."

"Couldn't you have used window bars?"

"No. They would spoil the view and stop her getting out onto the balcony."

The Governor gripped his desk, clearly trying to calm down.

"What about the swimming pool?"

"That is just a bath."

"The carpet?"

"She had to have something to go with the wallpaper."

"I've heard quite enough!" said the Governor, holding up his hands. "This has to stop. There could be trouble with other prisoners. They are bound to become jealous once they see the things she has in there!"

"I didn't think you had any other prisoners in that Wing."

"Well, no we don't, but that's hardly the point."

"I'm sorry," said Harry. "What did you want to see me about?"

"No, you wanted to see me. You left a message when you arrived this morning."

"So I did," agreed Harry, remembering what he wanted. "I'd like you to let Hermione go."

"Let her go?"

"Not entirely. She'd still be on the island, but I'd like her to move in with me."

"Move where?"

"I built a house for us on the far side of the island."

"What if she escaped?"

"Do you really think that's likely from someone demanding bars on her cell? Her door hasn't had a lock for weeks now."

"True, but what would the Wizengamot say?"

"I imagine they'd complain a lot and then do nothing, as usual."

"I'd expect you, of all people, to speak of them with more respect. Anyway, this discussion is irrelevant. She will never agree. She'd think she was being given preferential treatment."

"You could just order her to leave. She'd go then."

"I doubt it."

"You'd need to put in a bit of effort, it's true. Alternatively, I could smuggle in a copy of Volume Two of the regulations for her to find."

After much persuasion, Hermione finally agreed to move out of her cell, but only while she was on remand.

This was much to Harry's relief. As her trial date loomed closer, Hermione began to withdraw into herself. At least he could make sure she was okay, even if she refused to take any part in her own defence.

*

The elderly Wizengamot judge gave two loud taps of his gavel calling the court to order, bringing Harry out of his reverie. Bapple placed the small mallet down and stroked his lapel, making sure his silver Wizengamot emblem was clearly visible.

Bapple was unaccustomed to taking the lead in criminal trials but he was one of the few judges that had returned. He had been an undistinguished member of the Wizengamot for years and now bore the resemblance of someone wishing to appear in control, but in fact having none.

Harry and Neville had, for different reasons, received several rebukes from Bapple before the trial even began.

"Are we ready to vote?" Bapple asked, looked around.

"One moment," said Neville confidently. Everyone turned to look at him. The level of expectation that people had placed upon Neville was quite extraordinary. His struggle to continue the fight against Stein and the Ministry against impossible odds had brought him many admirers, albeit quiet ones.

Although Harry could see the differences in Neville that his experiences had brought, and he knew that he would never walk away from the many pleas for him to continue in public life, even he was surprised that Neville had taken so naturally to his new role.

"I have a few final things to say before you render a verdict. Before then, however, I believe the Accused is entitled to be present."

"Very well," said the judge in an annoyed tone. "Bring in the prisoner."

Neville reached up to Harry's shoulder and heavily pushed himself up. Harry stood as soon as he was able.

Almost immediately, a door behind them opened and two witches escorted Hermione to her chair. As with the previous times when she had sat down, the chains stirred for an unsettling four whole seconds before lying still again, leaving her unbound.

Harry tried to catch her eye as she passed, but Hermione did not look up and sat looking down, as she had all through the trial. Indeed, the only time she had looked up was during the reading of the names of all the victims.

The names read out were not Hermione's all victims. Even the prosecuting council admitted that Hermione only questioned most of them before passing them on to other departments. The few survivors that gave evidence confirmed this.

However, this was not the case for all the people who came before her.

Possibly the worst day of the trial had been when Neville himself gave evidence. He gave an account that was dispassionate and detailed. Harry had no doubt that every word he said was true. Nothing embellished and nothing omitted, although Harry felt he probably downplayed the amount of pain he had experienced.

The entire court sat in shocked silence when he had finished. Neville had remained sitting in the witness chair, looking over to Hermione with a kindly smile. Harry looked over and was anguished to see she was crying silently, tears streaming down her face.

"Well?" said Bapple impatiently.

Neville turned and nodded to the young prosecutor. She was little older than Harry or Neville, but had received sudden promotion when several of those senior to her found themselves facing prosecution for their part in everything that had happened.

She nodded nervously and stood as Neville sat, again using Harry's shoulder.

"If it pleases the court, the prosecution would like to clarify a number of points."

Harry looked at Neville with some alarm. Neville sat listening intently, but otherwise unconcerned. Harry looked back at the entrance door and wondered if it wasn't too late to ask Mr Scrimshaw's advice. Mr Scrimshaw was the legal brains behind Hermione's defence. Unfortunately, as Mr Scrimshaw was a goblin, the Wizengamot wouldn't allow him inside the court. He had to wait outside with everyone else.

Neville slid a note over to Harry. It read, "No. There isn't time anyway. Sit still and pay attention."

Harry suppressed a snort as the prosecuting council gathered her papers. Neville had reminded Harry earlier that his principal role was to sit quietly and look like he would go berserk and hex everyone at a moment's provocation. Harry had to admit, he didn't need to try that hard to achieve this.

"Is this really necessary, Miss, er, whatever," asked Bapple. She gave him a contemptuous look and carried on.

"Now, following the evidence given, the prosecution requests an adjustment to the charges."

"No! No! No!" exclaimed Bapple, holding his hands over his ears and shaking his head as if her words were hurting his ears. "We've been through all this. She pleaded guilty. All we have to do now is vote on the sentence."

Neville stood quickly but before he could speak the judge pointed a finger at him and said, "Now, don't you start too. I've had quite enough of this, thank you. Sit down both of you."

Neither sat.

"I was merely about to suggest that the Wizengamot vote on whether to hear the proposal and then vote again on whether or not to admit it," said Neville.

"This is intolerable!"

"Oh, I think you'll find it is," said a quiet voice right at the end of the judge's row. "I call for a vote to hear the proposal. Rise of hands please," requested Professor McGonagall.

Neville immediately raised his hand.

"You can't vote!" shouted Bapple.

"Yes, I can. I excused myself voting on the Defendant's charges because I was personally involved and was due to give evidence. This vote is on a procedural matter."

Harry grinned and immediately put his hand up too, although he didn't need to. There was a clear majority.

"Oh, very well. Get on with it!"

The prosecutor stood again and addressed the court after waiting to give Neville time to seat himself again.

"We now accept the defence's assertion that the charges are incorrect. The defendant is accused of wilfully torturing her victims. However, even the witnesses for the prosecution all acknowledged that Miss Granger appeared to be under some form of control. Her will was not her own. It is our contention that the charges should reflect this."

"I was not convinced," said Bapple coldly. "It seems to me that even if the charges were to be amended, you should be calling for the same punishment. May I remind you that she pleaded guilty to the charge?"

"She did," agreed Neville quietly. "Let us then consider the punishments."

The prosecutor sat and Neville stood again.

"Hang on," interrupted Bapple. "I thought we were voting to change the charges."

"No," replied Neville calmly. "The vote was to hear the proposal. I don't think anyone else is confused."

Bapple looked quizzically at the court scribe but everyone was looking intently at Neville, waiting for him to speak.

"We have heard calls for a life sentence in Azkaban, banishment and even the death penalty.

"None of these are, in my opinion, appropriate nor serve justice.

"Harry, here, was forced to kill his best friend, Ron Weasley. However, Harry wasn't fighting Ron, he was, once again, fighting Voldemort."

There was a collective shudder at the mention of Voldemort's name.

"Harry Potter had no choice. If he hadn't acted, many of us here today would be dead. I know that Harry has suffered greatly following his actions. Not only has he borne physical injuries, he has mourned the loss of a valued friend together with the considerable guilt of knowing that he was responsible.

"It was Voldemort who left plans to return to physical form once more. He clearly knew the threat that Harry posed to him. When Harry defeated him finally, the book Voldemort left became the only means by which he could return.

"The book was originally intended for Harry Potter, a particularly macabre choice.

"In the event, Harry's sacrifice of his magic to defeat Voldemort meant that the book could not be used with Harry. A new victim was selected, the ambitious, trusting and pureblood Ron Weasley.

"We do not know at what point Stein stopped becoming Voldemort's servant and became Ron Weasley's puppet. It is a poor reflection on the Ministry that none of them noticed nor stood up against the appalling policies the Voldemort brought with him.

"Ron Weasley cannot be blamed for what happened to him. It is even possible that Stein had no control in the beginning, either."

Neville paused.

"Of the senior members of the administration, all are either dead or continue to evade capture. The only person you have in custody that you think was also a member is the defendant, even though there is no evidence that she ever participated in planning or policy making.

"I do not believe it is for the Wizengamot to punish those that they have captured for the crimes of those they have not.

"The defendant was under the control of Voldemort when she acted as she did. The person who carried out those crimes is gone. Any punishment will be served on an innocent person.

"Hermione Granger surrendered herself for trial as soon as she recovered from Voldemort's control. She pleaded guilty to your charges in spite of the advice and requests from her council and friends. She has also done nothing to further her own defence.

"Hermione Granger pleaded guilty because she feels guilty. She thinks that she must bear responsibility for all Voldemort's victims because this time she couldn't fight him. This time, she herself was a victim.

"I do not believe that no punishment would be acceptable. Acceptable to her, that is, not to the Wizengamot.

"I would suggest, however, that to lock up a witch with such a talent for good, would be the greater crime. That would serve no one. We must all work to rebuild, and she has a role to play in that rebuilding.

"I propose a suspended sentence and a period of time that she should be required to spend working for the benefit for the community."

The Wizengamot voted, and by an overwhelming majority, Hermione was handed down a suspended ten year sentence and five years working for the community. She was banned from ever working directly for the Ministry, but otherwise no other restrictions were placed upon her.

Harry hurried her outside before she could argue and left her being hugged senseless by Ginny and Mrs Weasley.

Harry quickly returned to see what Neville was up to.

"I'm afraid I have a rather serious matter to raise," Neville was saying.

Bapple sat down again.

"Yes?"

"The order to tear down Voldemort's building in Diagon Alley has been withdrawn. Work as been suspended. I'd like an explanation."

"It was too expensive," said Bapple in an exasperated tone. "The Goblin estimate for the rebuilding work was outrageous. They'll just have to make do with what is left."

"Who instructed this?"

"The Wizengamot did, of course."

"Really? I didn't vote. Are you sure it was the full Wizengamot?"

"No, of course it wasn't. The Ministry brought the figures to me and I decided that was the most expedient course."

"You have no authority to over-rule a full Wizengamot order. I'm afraid," he said addressing the court, "I must call for a vote on the immediate expulsion of Mr Bapple. It would not be seemly for a Wizengamot member to face charges."

"Charges?" blustered Bapple.

"Indeed," said Neville calmly. "I ordered the destruction of that place with the full backing of the Wizengamot. Any attempt to change that order without appropriate authority is contempt of court.

"We will vote when you have left, but before you go, I would just remind you why I think this so serious.

"Hundreds of Goblins died at the hands of wizards. Frankly, I'm amazed they are still prepared to give access to the gold they bank for us. It is clear that the Goblins want peace and have accepted that Voldemort played a large part in what happened.

"However, we must show that we are contrite. That building is a terrible symbol of what happened. We must erase it and restore to the Goblins what we destroyed.

"Yes, it will be expensive. So it should be. The Goblins know the value of things and I want them to know that we value them."

Bapple looked defiantly at Neville for a moment, but then bowed his head and quietly left.

As he left, Harry recalled the moment when Neville had ordered the destruction of the building and the rebuilding of Gringotts. Neville made it quite clear that he held the Ministry responsible for capitulating in the face of the then new Minister's illegal demands.

He ordered it to exceed the exacting standards set by the Goblins and the cost of any work they carried out themselves would be met in full by the Ministry.

Bapple in particular had been outraged that one of the most junior and newest members of the Wizengamot should have such an audacity, but it set the tone for Neville's tenure.

The Wizengamot had needed several new members to replace those killed or who no longer wished to continue.

The selection process alone took several months, but at the end of it twelve new members were appointed. The youngest of the new members were Harry and Neville.

To their surprise, their appointment hadn't even been the most controversial.

Neville actually found himself threatened with prosecution if he didn't agree to join the Wizengamot, his efforts for the Resistance being well known. There was even a newspaper campaign demanding his appointment.

Harry's stance on Goblin, Centaur and House Elf rights had brought fierce resistance to his nomination initially. Gradually, though, his main objectors withdrew, some even filing for bankruptcy.

Possibly the most controversial aspect of the selection process, was the number of seats created.

Harry was amongst those who lobbied fiercely that the Goblins should be allowed to take their seats. In the end, enough seats were left vacant.

That was when the Daily Prophet began running more scare stories about Harry. The fabricated stories about Giant Armies, Troll Conspiracies and plans for Legalised Dragon Keeping didn't bother him, but a story that alleged he was planning on creating Wizengamot seats for Centaurs and House Elves got him thinking.

*

In the months to come, the Goblins rebuilt Gringotts bank. The banking halls were reopened with great fanfare and were widely regarded as the finest in the wizarding world.

The formal opening was made by Ginny, attending her first official function as wife of the youngest Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot since records began. With Bapple gone, there were no objectors to Neville's appointment, apart from Neville himself.

In the event, the Goblins only made a nominal charge against the Ministry. The correct charge would have bankrupted the Ministry and Harry's suggestion, that the Goblins might be persuaded to take up their Wizengamot seats in exchange, was at last listened to.

It would take him a few more years to get the Centaurs and House Elves there as well, and a few more years after that to get them to actually take up their seats.

*

Harry and Hermione didn't attend the grand reopening of Gringotts, preferring instead to attend the select party at the bank held the evening before where, at long last, Harry retrieved his beloved Firebolt from his vaults.

While Hermione attended to her duties at St Mungo's, Harry spent almost the entire next day flying, arriving late that evening at Neville and Ginny's home in the north of England.

Ginny carried a hot plate into the dining room, having hastily prepared some more food for their unexpected guest.

"Where's he gone?" she asked, seeing the Firebolt propped up against the wall and no Harry.

"Hermione called to see where he'd got to. She's been trying to contact him all day apparently."

"Nothing's the matter is it?"

"He did look a bit shocked," admitted Neville, smiling and taking the hot plate from her. "I told him to Floo back. He might end up anywhere if he tried to Apparate."

"Oh, I thought something was up when I spoke to Hermione earlier."

Ginny was eyeing the Firebolt mischievously.

"He wouldn't mind," she said to herself. "Not just one little go."

"Would that really be the most sensible thing to do, in your condition?"