Unofficial Portkey Archive

Walk Alone by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Walk Alone

sticknsnitches

Disclaimer: None of this is mine, I'm only borrowing.

Thanks to my beta Danielle

A/N: This is a very short chapter and not a lot of H/Hr. It's coming I promise, just be patient and stick with me. Chapter 5 will be posted sometime mid-week. And thanks for the reviews!!

************************************************

Harry's free period that day was following lunch. He walked with Ron and Hermione as far as the entrance hall before parting ways with them. As he stood in front of the massive statue that led to Dumbledore's office, he took a quick look around to ensure there were no wayward students about.

"Skiving Snackboxes," Harry spoke clearly and the giant revolving staircase began to appear. As Harry stepped on to it, he moved his right hand so that it hovered over his left forearm. Near the end of the summer, he had sent away for a holster for his wand and found himself never without it. 'Moody would be proud,' he thought sardonically. He didn't know if it was his experience at the Department of Mysteries or something else, but he felt a need to have his guard up, especially in places where he wasn't sure what was waiting for him.

The door to Dumbledore's office was already open and Harry stepped through, immediately feeling his face flame. The last time he had been in here, he had destroyed the place. He took a quick look around and saw that almost everything seemed to be how it had been, but quite a few of the former headmasters were glaring at him from their portraits.

Harry hung his head for a moment, studying the pattern in the carpet before steeling himself and raising his eye line to Dumbledore.

Behind his massive desk, the headmaster was waiting patiently for Harry's attention. "Thank you for agreeing to see me Harry. I feel that I don't quite deserve your company. Would you like to take a seat?" he asked, looking grave.

"Actually Professor, before we get to why you asked me here, I'd like to apologize for what I did to your office," Harry said, looking a bit sheepish.

"As I told you all those months ago, I do not blame you for being angry. I can only hope that I have not completely lost your trust," Dumbledore answered.

Harry shifted his feet slightly before moving to sit in the chair opposite Dumbledore. Harry met the headmaster's eyes directly and was grateful there seemed to be no trace of Voldemort lurking inside of him.

"I was angry sir, but it was mostly at myself. I wish you could have told me about the prophecy sooner, but I recognize that you were trying to protect me and I do appreciate that," Harry stated and sat back in the chair.

"You really are an exceptional young man, Harry. I just wish you didn't have to grow up so soon," said Dumbledore with a look of pride and sadness on his face.

"I didn't really have a choice, did I sir?" Harry asked honestly

"No, you didn't," he said with a sigh before continuing. "Which is why I've asked you to come here today," Dumbledore paused. "I would like to ask that you join the Order. I realize that you are not technically of age, but circumstances being what they are, I don't see how that matters much."

Harry sat shocked and motionless. Joining the Order would be an honor and he wouldn't feel like he was being excluded from the plans against Voldemort. He opened his mouth to respond, but Dumbledore raised a hand to stop him.

"Before you answer, I need you to know why I am asking you and what this will entail." At Harry's nod, Dumbledore went on. "You are much too involved in all of this to not be a part of it. Many tragedies could have been avoided if I had recognized this previously. You will also need the assistance of all the Order members to successfully fulfill the prophecy. But you need to know that the Order must be informed of the prophecy and of everything that occurred last year. Secrets and lies are Voldemort's ways can only lead to our downfall," Dumbledore finished, looking to Harry for his answer.

"I'll do it," Harry said without hesitation. "I've already spoken to Professor McGonagall about learning some advanced transfiguration but she sa…"

Harry was cut off by Dumbledore's chuckling. Since it was one of the last things he expected to hear, he was taken aback.

A bit of the twinkle was back in his eye though. "Exceptional, truly exceptional. Your parents really would be proud of you," Dumbledore said. "We'll make it official at the next Order meeting. I will also be setting up a special training schedule for you. I'm afraid your free period will no longer be free."

"That's ok, Professor. I think the training will be a much better use of my time," Harry said.

"You must be wondering why I specifically asked you to not bring Miss Granger and Mister Weasley," Dumbledore questioned.

"Yes sir, I had," Harry replied.

"I was unsure as to how your…emotional state would be when you returned to school," Dumbledore began cautiously. "I knew based on Miss Granger's persistent questioning of me concerning your well-being that your correspondence with her was, well, lacking."

Harry suddenly found interest in his hands as the words reminded him of how terrible he'd been the past summer.

"I did not know whether you had chosen to discuss the revelation of the prophecy with your friend. If you have not, I would encourage you to do so. Their assistance, especially Miss Granger's, will be invaluable to you in what is to come," Dumbledore said with a strength that surprised Harry.

"I have told them sir, last night. Well actually, Hermione figured it out after one look at me, but yeah, they know," Harry said and caught the lift in Dumbledore's eyebrow when he had mentioned how Hermione had known.

"Excellent, I am glad to hear it. In the future, you may feel free to invite them to any meeting you wish, including Order meetings, if they are, of course, willing."

Harry heard the unspoken invitation and wasn't sure how he felt about it. He knew Ron would be more than ready to join, especially after what happened at the Burrow. And Hermione would be too of course, out of loyalty to Harry and to protect the existence of good. This was obviously something they would need to talk about.

Dumbledore took a glance at his magical watch and noticed the time. "Well, I daresay I've kept you long enough. Your Defense Against the Dark Arts professor won't appreciate me keeping you from your first lesson of the year."

"Who is the new Defense teacher, sir? I didn't see anyone new at the table." Harry stopped and then gulped audibly. "There isn't a Ministry appointed teacher, is there?"

Dumbledore smiled at the obvious implication of Harry's question. "Not to worry. I think you will be pleasantly surprised."

Harry stood and nodded to the Headmaster before heading back to the revolving staircase. His hand automatically moved towards his wand as he began his descent down.