Unofficial Portkey Archive

Walk Alone by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Walk Alone

sticknsnitches

Disclaimer: I don't own any of this, I'm only borrowing

Thanks again to my beta Danielle.

A/N: Thanks to those of you still reading this. J The H/Hr relationship will begin very soon. This chapter is the last of the stepping stones, and chapter 7 will be the payoff. Thanks for reading and reviewing.

*******************************************

Harry and Hermione walked the halls of Hogwarts, both silent and both lost in their own thoughts. Harry had been surprised by what he had said to Lupin. What surprised him more was that he wasn't embarrassed by what he had said. The realities of this war were becoming more and more apparent to him. Those whom he cared for and who were closest to him would be in even greater danger. If that wasn't incentive to end this, he didn't know what was. Harry cast a quick glance at Hermione, but her face was carefully schooled and he couldn't tell what she was thinking.

Without really realizing it, Harry had led them to the Room of Requirement. He paced in front of the door and thought 'We need somewhere to talk' three times. When Harry opened the door he was somewhat shocked by what he saw. The room had transformed itself into a cozier version of the Gryffindor common room. The fireplace was smaller and there was a single couch placed before it. Gryffindor red and gold was the color scheme and there was a tea tray set out on the table in front of the couch.

Hermione stepped into the room and smiled. "Nice Harry, this usually is the best place to talk, isn't it?"

Harry smiled back at her and went to take a seat on the couch. Hermione joined him, drawing her legs up underneath her as she sat and turned to face him waiting expectantly.

"Before I tell you about the meeting, I want to talk about something else," Harry said.

"I know you do," she replied, looking a bit uncomfortable. "I'm fine Harry really, just fi…" but she was cut off by Harry's almost angry words.

"No you're not 'fine' Hermione. Not even close!" Harry said and then leaned forward some so that his arms rested on his knees and his head hung down. "I want the truth. Why aren't you better? What happened that night after I left for Dumbledore's office? Merlin Hermione, I don't even know who told you about Sirius!"

Hermione made a choked sort of noise and he could hear her begin to speak several times before she actually could. "I'm sorry Harry, I just didn't want you to have to worry about anything else." She unfurled her legs and moved right next to him on the edge of the couch. Laying a hand on his back she continued. "I am getting better, truly. It's just taking some time. No one knows what the curse was that Dolohov hit me with." She could feel every muscle in his back tense up at the mention of the Death Eater's name. Letting her hand slide off his back, she began to fiddle nervously with the hem of her skirt. "I mostly took it easy this summer. Coming back to school was more activity than I've had in a while. That's why I had a bit of a relapse last night."

Harry was silent for several moments before reaching a large hand over to still her frantic movements. As he stared at their hands, he disjointedly wondered when Hermione had become so tiny and then realized that she had probably reached her full height last year while he and Ron seemed to be incapable of stopping their growth.

"So…so Madame Pomfrey thinks everything will be ok, then?" he asked in a small voice.

"Yeah, of course Harry. I just need to get my stamina back, that's all. And don't think this means you and Ron are off the hook for homework until I'm all better. I daresay I'll be able to gather enough energy to nag you to work," she ended lightly, trying to make Harry feel better.

He squeezed her hands, but didn't let them go.

Harry knew he had to tell her about what happened when she fell; how much it had affected him.

"You really scared me that night, Hermione. I don't know if anyone told you, but…" he stopped himself, he wasn't sure if he could say what came next. "I thought you…I thought you might be dead." He stopped himself again and went to stand up, but sometime during his talk with Hermione, she had grasped his hand between hers and her grip was surprising in its strength.

Settling himself back down on the couch, he couldn't bring himself to look at her until he had finished.

"I couldn't function. I mean, here I was in the middle of the biggest battle of my life and I was frozen. When Neville said you were alive, I can't describe the relief. I couldn't lose you Hermione, I can't lose you. I won't," he said emphatically.

"You won't Harry. I promise you," Hermione said quickly before taking one of her hands away and laying it on the back of his head, her fingers automatically stroking the thatches of black. She began to speak again, so softly she was almost whispering. "Neville told me Harry, how you reacted. I think it scared him too. He said that…" but Hermione halted and didn't seem like she was going to continue.

"What? What did Neville say?" Harry asked

"Nothing really, just an observation of his." She paused before going on. "He said that when…that when Sirius fell through the veil, you didn't react the same way, that you just got angry and went after Bellatrix. He said that kind of surprised him, especially after he found out Sirius was your godfather. That wh…that's all he said."

"Surprised me too after I thought about it," Harry admitted and finally turned his head to look at her. The compassion he saw on her face was comforting, but there was something else in her eyes that he couldn't quite place. "I meant it, Hermione. I can't lose you. Losing Sirius was terrible of course; he was a link to my parents and the closest thing to a father I'd ever had but you…you're such a part of me. Losing you would be…well there's really no way to describe it. Voldemort would have won, I know it."

Hermione's stroking finally stilled at Harry's confession. Her hand fell as of its own accord and was now resting against the side of his face. Her eyes swam a bit before she spoke. "Oh Harry. Thank you. That means so much, so much. And I know how you feel. If you weren't here, in my life anymore I think the hole would be too big to survive." That look in her eyes was back, but he didn't have much time to dwell on it before she had pulled him into a fierce hug.

He held her so tight he was afraid he was hurting her, but she didn't protest. They stayed that way for a long time before Harry finally pulled back, brushing a soft kiss across her forehead as he did.

Hermione blushed a bit before turning her attention to the tea tray in front of her. She was about to ask Harry if he'd like some when they heard the door to the room open. In a blur, they both had their wands out and pointed at the door. The last thing they expected to see was the shocked face of Ron as he saw both of them ready to attack him.

"Merlin! Watch where you point those things!" he said.

Harry and Hermione lowered their wands and smiled faintly at him.

"Sorry mate, wasn't exactly expecting anyone," Harry said running a hand through his hair and expelling a relieved sigh.

"How did you know we were here?" Hermione questioned

"Nicked the Marauder's Map to find you two. Didn't see you anywhere so I figured I'd check here before I started to get worried," Ron said trying unsuccessfully to keep the concern out of his voice.

"We're sorry Ron, I don't think we realized how long we've been in here," Harry said

"No problem, but I'm starving. Let's go get dinner before it's all gone," Ron stated.

Just as Ron said he was hungry, a meal magically appeared on the table.

"Um, actually would you mind if we ate here? I still need to tell you two about my meeting with Dumbledore," Harry said hopefully.

"Sure, as long as there's food," Ron said with a laugh.

Hermione rolled her eyes at this and turned back to the table, which had now transformed into an actual dining table set for three.

They all sat down to eat and Harry began to tell them about the meeting. He looked up expectantly after he told them how Dumbledore had asked him to join the Order. Ron looked impressed and Hermione looked thoughtful.

"It makes sense Harry. I hope you said yes," she said.

He nodded and continued on, telling them about extra training and how the Order would need to know about the prophecy. He waited until they were done eating before bringing up the final part of the meeting that he hadn't mentioned yet.

"There's one more thing," he said before rising from the table to go stare into the fire. "Dumbledore has extended the invitation of joining the Order to both of you."

The silence was overwhelming and then Ron cleared his throat.

"I'm there mate, you know that. In fact there should be little doubt in your mind that either of us would have said no. Why does it seem like you didn't want to tell us?" Ron asked suspiciously. Harry wouldn't turn around to face them.

"Because I knew you'd say yes without hesitation and because you shouldn't have to. This is my fight, not yours."

Hermione stood up so fast that her chair nearly toppled over. She was by his side before he knew it, spinning him to face her, her eyes blazing before she lit into him.

"YOUR FIGHT!?!" she screeched. "How dare you, Harry Potter! How DARE you! After everything you said to me today, you honestly still think this is your fight? I'm muggle-born Harry, Ron's family is considered blood-traitors, not to mention the well-known fact that we're your best friends! Do you really think this war won't come to us? It will Harry. It already has." She stood there breathing heavily, magical energy sparking around her.

Harry was speechless, Hermione had never yelled at him like that before. He looked to Ron in desperation who had been watching Hermione's outburst with surprise. Harry was confused though when the look on Ron's face turned to comprehension.

Harry knew she was right; he was just scared of losing them.

"You're right Hermione. I'm sorry, I just don't want anyone else to get hurt," he said, head hanging.

Hermione's demeanor softened immediately.

Ron had now joined them. "I know it'll be you and Voldemort at the end Harry, but there will be a lot of his followers to knock out along the way. We have as much right to fight for our world as you do."

"I know you do, that's why I want you two involved in the extra training. I can't imagine doing this without you," Harry said

Hermione stepped closer to him and wrapped an arm around his waist resting her head on his shoulder for a moment before speaking.

"We'll be there Harry, until the end," she vowed and reached her free arm over to Ron wrapping it about him as well. "The famous Trio, together through it all."

She gave both boys a squeeze before releasing them to go grab her bag.

"We'd better go, we need to get a start on our homework," she said.

"Yes, Hermione," they chorused in unison as she shooed them out the door.

The walk back to the common room was as relaxed as it could be, with Hermione grilling Ron about Luna. They were almost to the portrait when Harry stopped suddenly. He knew what that look in Hermione's eyes had been. It was love.