Unofficial Portkey Archive

Walk Alone by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Walk Alone

sticknsnitches

Disclaimer: I don't own any of this, I'm only borrowing

Thanks to my beta Danielle.

A/N: Well, you've been patient. Here it is, they finally get together. Thanks for waiting, and for reading and reviewing.

*************************************************

Harry managed to make his excuses that night and retreat to his room. He knew Hermione didn't buy it, but she didn't push it either. He was somewhat dumbfounded by his realization. He knew Hermione cared for him, five years of friendship and everything they had been through was proof of that, but was there more? His own thoughts as of late were also confusing. He couldn't dwell on what happened at the Department of Mysteries without a knot deep inside him getting tighter and tighter. And what he had told her earlier was true, losing her would be his undoing, but what did that mean? Sighing in frustration, Harry threw himself on his bed wishing more than ever that Sirius was alive so he could talk to him about this.

The rest of the week passed in a blur. He met with Dumbledore again to tell him that Ron and Hermione had accepted his offer and also to discuss the new training schedule. Dumbledore agreed to allow his best friends to join his training, but not all of it. Harry wasn't sure why they couldn't attend all of it, but he trusted the headmaster. So far, Moody and Lupin had been to all their classes so Harry hadn't been needed there yet. Things had been so hectic he hadn't even had a chance to think about restarting the D.A, but knew that was something he needed to discuss with Hermione as soon as possible.

Their first weekend of the term found fifth years and up arriving in the Great Hall sooner than anyone else. Harry tried unsuccessfully to suppress a yawn and smiled his thanks as Hermione shoved a goblet of pumpkin juice in front of him. He was just reaching for some potatoes when a feather appeared on his plate. Harry quickly grabbed the colorful plumage and dropped it in his lap out of sight. Nudging Hermione to get her attention he gave the feather another look and saw that this was from no ordinary bird, this was a feather from Fawkes.

Hermione grabbed his arm and leaned in to get a closer look. Harry jumped at the quick kick to his leg and looked across the table to Ron. He looked at Harry questioningly until Harry mouthed 'I'll tell you later'. Ron nodded and turned his attention back to Luna.

"Harry, look!" Hermione said excitedly, but as softly as she could. Along the edge of the quill were a series of numbers that at first didn't make an sense. "It's a date! And time!" she exclaimed. "Today's date Harry, seven o'clock tonight!"

"It's an Order meeting and I'm guessing the feather must be a portkey," Harry said, not feeling as excited as he thought he should be.

They told Ron about the meeting right after breakfast. He blanched for a moment before answering Harry and Hermione's quizzical looks. "Well, I just don't see Mum being too thrilled about this, that's all."

The rest of the day seemed to drag on as slowly as possible. Harry didn't much feel like talking and spent the majority of the day finishing all his homework. He was able to talk to Hermione briefly about the D.A before Professor Lupin showed up and asked her to help him charm the coin.

Ron stayed with him until after lunch when he had to go meet Luna, promising Harry he'd be back by quarter to seven.

Around six thirty, Hermione came flying through the portrait hole. "I'm here! I'm here!" she cried, startling some first years as she ran past them. She was going so fast she didn't stop in time and plowed right into Harry who had jumped up in alarm as soon as she'd yelled. His arms went around her automatically and he took a step back to brace himself.

"Sorry," she mumbled into his chest and then looked up sheepishly at him. Her eyes narrowed for a second and then she stepped back to adjust her robes. "I'm not late, am I?" she asked anxiously.

"You couldn't be late if you tried," Harry said good-naturedly. "I've got to get something out of my room. Ron should be here any minute," he said and dashed off.

He didn't really need anything. The feather and his invisibility cloak were waiting in his bag downstairs. Harry was more confused than ever; having his arms around Hermione like that had been…nice. He remembered feeling disappointed when she had stepped back from him and she had given him a funny look, too.

Shaking his head he ran both hands through his hair and expelled a loud sigh. Did he like Hermione more than just as his best friend? He didn't have much to compare it to. He knew Cho had just been an infatuation. This, whatever this was, was deeper. More, it meant more. He just wished he knew what it meant. Harry returned to the common room just as Ron was coming in.

"Told ya I'd be back in time, mate," he said with a grin.

Harry went over to where he had left his bag and pulled out the cloak and the feather. "I was thinking maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea to wear the cloak while we portkey. Dumbledore knows we're coming, but I don't even know where we're going and I know quite a few people won't even be happy we're there, much less joining." Harry finished his speech and saw Ron visibly gulp at the thought of his Mum.

Hermione and Ron both agreed and stepped towards Harry to get under the cloak.

"Ya know, I think we've grown a bit since the last time all of us were under here," Ron quipped as he and Harry were forced to stoop a bit.

"Well not all of us, Ronald," Hermione said with a smug smile and turned so that her back was up against Harry's chest, her head reaching to just under his chin. Harry reached an arm around her to hold out the feather. "Hang on tight, it's a bumpy ride and we don't want the cloak coming off," he said.

Hermione and Ron both reached out to grab onto the feather and secured their stances as well as they could. As the familiar tug began, Harry wrapped his free arm around Hermione's waist and pulled her a bit closer to him.

Landing was a bit of an ordeal as Ron almost ended up on his knees, but righted himself in time. Hermione would have surely fallen to the floor if it hadn't been for Harry's hold on her. Once they were steady, Harry pocketed the feather and looked around. He felt a pang as he realized the Order was still using Grimmauld Place as its headquarters. The portkey had deposited them in the kitchen and the only other person there was Dumbledore, who was looking expectantly at his watch. Harry gave a small sigh of relief and then realized something was tugging at his arm. He looked down and saw that his arm was still locked around Hermione.

"You can let go now, Harry," she whispered shyly.

Harry hastily let his arm drop and then whipped off the cloak, revealing them.

"Good evening, Professor," Harry said, breaking the silence.

If Dumbledore was surprised to see them suddenly appear from under the cloak, he didn't show it.

"Good evening Harry, Ms. Granger, Mr. Weasley." Dumbledore nodded in their direction.

"I've had the portkey bring you in here because not everyone in the Order is aware you will be joining tonight." He shot Ron a significant look before continuing. "Going through with the initiation prior to the meeting may, uh…ruffle some feathers, but once you are members there is nothing that can be done."

Dumbledore drew his robes back and brought forth a very familiar sword.

"Blimey!" Ron exclaimed. "Isn't that…?"

"Godric Gryffindor's sword," Harry finished for him.

Dumbledore gave them a wink. "An appropriate symbol of the Order, I thought."

He looked at Ron and Hermione carefully. "I know your loyalty to Harry and the bravery you've shown knows no bounds, but you must be sure you are prepared to do this. I am asking you to join because I believe Harry is stronger with you and I believe you will both bring elements to the Order, which will be invaluable. Are you certain you want to do this?"

Hermione stepped forward first and spoke clear and strong. "I am, sir."

Ron moved to stand next to her. "Without a doubt, Professor," he stated.

Harry's heart swelled, knowing what true friends he had and he blinked his eyes quickly to control his emotions.

"Then we shall proceed. Ron, Hermione you will take the vow individually and then the three of you will take it together," Dumbledore said.

"Sir, why aren't I taking it by myself as well?" Harry asked confused.

"Because Harry, you are who the Order has vowed to protect, you are the only one who can defeat Voldemort. You are our purpose," Dumbledore explained.

"Oh," Harry said, feeling stupid and overwhelmed by this revelation.

Hermione didn't seem surprised at all. "What do we need to do, sir?"

"Place your hand on the hilt and repeat after me."

I pledge and swear my life

To the Order of the Phoenix

To the protection of the Light and

To the destruction of evil

Hermione repeated the vow and the sword glowed blue for a brief moment and there was a slight wind in the room. When the light faded Hermione dropped her hand from the sword and swayed before Harry rushed to steady her.

She turned to face him and brought both hands up to trap his face.

"I pledge and swear my life to you, Harry," she said and then pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you." Was all he was able to get out in a whisper before Ron coughed conspicuously and they turned their attention back to the others.

Ron's vow was the same and Harry was ready if he needed help, but he kept his footing. Like Hermione, he approached Harry when it was over.

"I swear it, brother," he said and Harry caught a glint of moisture in his eye before Ron grabbed his hand and he was pulled into one of those manly, backslapping hugs.

"Now Harry, if you'd take the sword," Dumbledore said and passed it to him.

Harry took Gryffindor's sword and couldn't help but wonder at how right it seemed in his hand.

Dumbledore motioned to Hermione and Ron and they stepped up to flank him, Hermione on his left Ron on his right. Hermione's hand slipped under his and was completely enveloped. Ron added his hand to the top of the pile and they all looked at each other before speaking the vow as one.

We pledge and swear our lives

To the Order of the Phoenix

To the protection of the Light and

To the destruction of evil

As they finished, the blue light, which burst from the now upright sword, was so bright and powerful Harry knew it had to have filled the entire house. His suspicions were confirmed when from the corner of his eye, he saw the kitchen begin to fill with Order members, wands drawn. When they realized who was in the room, they lowered their wands and brought arms up to shield their eyes from the light. The slight wind that had come when Ron and Hermione had sworn their allegiance was now strong enough to compete with a hurricane. The light and wind held out a bit longer, Dumbledore and the Trio the only ones seemingly not affected by it before it began to abate.

They were all dizzy from the experience and Hermione's hand dropped from the sword first so that she could bring it to her head. Harry wrapped his free arm around her waist again and shut his eyes for a moment to regain his balance. And then Harry could have sworn that he heard Dumbledore whisper, "That is the power he knows not."

The headmaster stepped up to Ron and put a hand on his shoulder for both physical and moral support since the next sound they heard was the roar of Molly Weasley.

"RONALD BILIBUS WEASLEY!! WHAT IN THE NAME OF MERLIN DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?!"

Harry didn't think he'd ever seen Mrs. Weasley so infuriated, even with the twins. To Ron's credit though, he didn't back down.

"I've joined the Order, Mum," he said as evenly as possible.

"JOINED THE ORDER?!? JOINED THE ORDER?!?" She then rounded on Dumbledore. "HOW COULD YOU?!' she screamed at him, practically sobbing now.

Dumbledore placed his hands on her shoulders. "It's done, Molly. It's done."

Arthur Weasley came up behind her and began to steer her away. "He has to do this, dear. He hasn't got a choice." Ron caught his father's eye for a moment and knew he understood.

Dumbledore clapped his hands together causing everyone to jump. "Well, we seem to have blown the surprise. So why don't we all adjourn to the other room and begin the meeting."

Harry could see from the amount of people that the entire Order was present. The Trio stayed together and tried to look as if they belonged there. Hermione's hand had found Harry's as they left the kitchen and he hadn't thought of a good enough reason to let it go yet. They sat down and waited for Dumbledore to begin.

Just then, Hermione used her free hand to poke him in the side. She was motioning to his other hand, he still had Gryffindor's sword. Harry immediately made to get up and return the sword to Dumbledore, but the wise man saw him and waved him back down.

"Thank you for coming tonight. As I'm sure you're all aware, we have three new members of the Order." Dumbledore raised a hand to hold off any protests. "What I am about to share with you will hopefully explain everything, even if it doesn't make it any easier," he said with a sympathetic nod towards Mrs. Weasley.

Dumbledore pulled a small square object out of his robes and with a flick of his wand, a life size memory appeared before them. It was Dumbledore's memory from the night the prophecy was made. As Trelawney spoke the words that would determine the course of his life, Hermione gripped his hand even tighter. When the Seer was finished, the image snapped away much like a muggle t.v.

The silence that filled the room was palpable. A sniff from Mrs. Weasley broke in and Harry jerked his head towards the noise in time to see an anguished Remus Lupin stagger from the room. Harry didn't hesitate. He tore from the room still clutching Godric's sword and found Lupin in the small library across the hall.

"Professor?" Harry hesitantly stepped further into the room seeing him braced against the mantle staring into the fire. "Professor?" he tried again to no avail. "Remus?" This had the desired affect as he finally acknowledged Harry's presence.

"I've failed them," he choked out. "I've failed you. I'm so sorry." The flickering flames caused the scars on his face to seem more terrible.

Harry went to stand beside him. "You haven't failed anyone. You couldn't have stopped this, or prevented it and you can't end it. This all started before I was born. I think my parents would be glad to know that one of their best friends was still here, able to help me."

But Lupin didn't seem to be hearing him. "It should be Sirius here, not me," he protested.

"But it's not Sirius, it's you. And I need your help. I'll need all the extra Defense training you can give me. And uh…I might need your help with some other things that don't have to do with the Order or defeating Voldemort," he ended shyly.

This seemed to catch Lupin's attention. "If you're sure, Harry." Harry nodded and Lupin continued. "So things other than Voldemort, huh?" he asked with a grin. "This wouldn't have anything to do with a certain young lady I saw you holding hands with would it?"

"It just might," Harry confirmed and they walked back to the meeting.

What they found when they entered the room was a cacophony of competing voices. He caught bits and pieces of what people were saying and he knew what the chaos was about.

"….too young, what is Dumbledore thinking?"

"He's going to defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named? He hasn't even finished school."

"Potter. Once again the fate of the wizarding world comes down to Potter."

The last was Snape who Harry could see lurking in the shadows near the door.

No one seemed to have noticed that he and Lupin had returned. Ron's control had apparently snapped as he and Mrs. Weasley were now toe to toe and Dumbledore was trying to mediate. He looked for Hermione and saw her as she stood on a chair and pointed her wand at her throat. Suddenly her voice was at a deafening level.

"QUIET!!" she screamed.

Everyone fell silent and turned to stare at her. She looked like she did when she had screamed at Harry in the Room of Requirement, but if possible madder. And if Harry wasn't mistaken, her hair seemed to be floating a bit with the energy she was emitting.

"What right do you have to say these things about him?! Do you know what that boy. No. That MAN has sacrificed? Do you know what the first ten years of his life were like?!? The boy everyone here heralded as 'destroying' the Dark Lord, your very own Boy-Who-Lived lived in a damn cupboard under the stairs!!! A CUPBOARD!!!! Blood protection or not, you abandoned him to those terrible people and I assure you they have left scars deeper than the one Voldemort gave him. And now you dare try to say he can't handle it or he's too young. Was he too young for the past five years? When he was saving your castle, or your world, or your children? No one ever gave him a choice in this, but he has never questioned it. He doesn't do it for the attention, he does it because it's right and now he does it because if he doesn't, our world is gone. You do realize what that prophecy said, don't you? Either Voldemort kills Harry or Harry kills Voldemort. Those are the only two options and there is only one that I am willing to accept. So whatever misgivings you have or doubts that may still linger, get over them!! The war has started and that man there is our only chance!" Hermione ended her tirade and her eyes challenged anyone to defy her.

Harry was speechless. No one had ever said anything like that about him before. Lupin gave him a nudge, which broke him out of his stupor.

He strode directly over to where Hermione stood and grabbed her hand to pull her off the chair. She didn't respond at first and for a moment Harry thought he may have to bodily remove her. But one more tug did the trick and she broke her glare on the room and looked down at Harry. The love pouring out at him almost did him in and he knew he needed to get out of there. He took off for the nearest door with her trailing behind him clutching his hand like a lifeline.

Once they were in the hallway Harry looked for somewhere to go and settled on a dark recess under the stairway. Pulling her around so that her back was against the wall he saw her start to speak and then actually have the where-withal to mutter the counter to the sonorous charm. When she started to speak again Harry did the only thing that made sense and kissed her.

He knew he had taken her by surprise, but it only took her a second and she began kissing him back. Godric Gryffindor's sword clattered to the floor and Harry sent a silent apology to the founder of his house as his hands found their way into her hair and he pulled her closer.

He finally tore his mouth away when breathing became an issue and leaned his forehead against hers, trying to calm himself down so that he could speak.

"You're amazing, you know that right?" he managed to get out, voice shaking. "Thank you for loving me," he said and held his breath until she spoke.

"Thank you for letting me love you," she said, eyes shining and pulled him back in again. Harry didn't think it could be possible, but this kiss seemed to be better than the last. Hermione's fingers had found the hair at the base of his neck and all conscious thought seemed to leave him. It wasn't until there was something hard hitting him in the shoulder that he pulled away again. Turning in exasperation, Harry was surprised to see Ron standing there grinning like a fool and holding the sword.

"You might not want to be just leaving this around anywhere, mate." He went to leave and then turned back and draped an arm over each of their shoulders. "Oh, and about bloody time," he said with a conspiring wink and left.

They were stunned silent and then Hermione laughed. "That's just scary," she said.

"What's scary?" Harry asked worriedly.

"That Ron knew something before we did."

Harry burst out laughing, as well.

"So, we're ok?" she asked, biting her lip.

"Never better," he said with a smile and leaned down to save her lip from being mangled.

They broke apart and headed back to the meeting; Harry wasn't as afraid about what he would have to do.