Unofficial Portkey Archive

Walk Alone by sticknsnitches
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Walk Alone

sticknsnitches

Harry left Dumbledore's office a jumble of emotions. He was very glad he was going to finally be a part of the Order however, the chance of Ron and Hermione risking their lives for his fight wasn't something he'd quite worked out yet.

As he approached the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, Harry was surprised to see his fellow sixth years waiting around outside. Ron and Hermione were coming from the other direction and their expressions of confusion mirrored Harry's.

"What's going on?" he asked as he reached the door.

"We don't know," answered fellow Gryffindor, Neville Longbottom. "When we got here, it was locked."

"Did anyone try unlocking the door?" Hermione questioned.

Neville glanced around him somewhat nervously and took in all the shaking heads. "Ummm. No, guess not."

Hermione expelled a loud sigh and proceeded to pull out her wand. Just as she raised it, Harry suddenly grabbed her arm and pushed it back down.

"Wait. There's something not right about this," he said suspiciously, drawing his own wand. The rest of the D.A. members followed suit and watched Harry for what to do next.

Harry approached the door with Ron and Hermione right behind him. He raised his wand and said "Alohamora", there was a loud click and the door slowly opened.

There were no lights inside the classroom. No drapes had been opened and no candles had been lit. Harry let his eyes adjust for a moment before motioning to Hermione and Ron and stepping into the room.

When he was about halfway into the room, he turned back to see the other member of the D.A had followed them in.

"Spread out," he whispered and watched as half of them went left with Hermione and half went right with Ron as if it was something they had practiced numerous times.

Harry was just through wondering if there had been a mix up and they were in the wrong room, when he felt more than heard the spell coming his way.

"Protego!" Harry yelled automatically and ran to duck behind the desks to his left. He saw Hermione send the stunning curse in the general direction of his attacker but didn't hear or see anyone fall.

"Take cover!!" Harry shouted and was glad to see that most everyone already had. There was movement out of the corner of his eye, but it was only Hermione making her way towards him.

She seemed breathless when she reached him, but more from surprise than anything else. "What's going on?" she hissed.

"I have no idea," Harry said honestly. He was about to say that it would be impossible for Hogwarts to be under attack when he began to feel the unmistakable presence of a Dementor.

As though it had been rehearsed, at least ten voices all shouted "EXPECTO PATRONUM!" at the same time. The different silver defenders charged the dementor and sent it straight into a rather large trunk. It had been a boggart dementor, Harry realized.

Harry stood straight up and spoke loudly for anyone to hear. "We pass. This test is over. Show yourselves now."

There was a silence and then several gasps as two people stepped out of the shadows.

Suddenly, there was a loud noise, which startled Harry although he didn't show it. It was one of the people clapping. The drapes suddenly flew open and for the first time Harry could see their 'attackers'.

Alastor 'Mad-Dye' Moody and Remus Lupin were revealed in the center of the classroom grinning.

"Excellent work, Harry. Really excellent," said their former defense instructor Remus Lupin "All of you. Very impressive."

"Nice job Potter. Wasn't sure at first, but you've proved yourself," added the grizzled Moody.

Harry was so shocked they really weren't under attack that he didn't quite process the evident. "Wh…What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Well isn't it obvious, Potter? We're your instructors for this year," Moody said in an annoyed voice.

"Perhaps everyone should take their seats and Professor Moody and I will explain how this year will work," Lupin interjected.

Harry was proud to see that the D.A members were just now finally lowering their wands as they made their way to the desks.

After everyone had been seated, Lupin and Moody made their way to the front of the room. Lupin looked towards Harry. "Harry? Would you join us up here please?" he asked.

Harry exchanged a confused look with Ron and Hermione before going to stand next to Lupin.

"Welcome to sixth year Defense Against the Dark Arts." He began, "We are your instructors for the year," Lupin said, as he made a sweeping gesture, which included Harry.

"What?!" Harry shouted before he could stop himself. "How? You must be mistaken Professor."

Lupin grinned at Harry before speaking. "No mistake, Harry, I assure you." Lupin turned back towards the other students. "Due to circumstances this year, of which I'm sure you're all aware of, it will be necessary to split this year's teaching amongst the three of us. Harry's work last year with the defense club has more than qualified him to step in when either Professor Moody or I cannot attend class." Lupin paused to allow everyone to process what he had just said. "Some days, we will all be here, others only one, and occasionally just Harry. The class this year will heavily emphasize defensive spells and charms and how to best utilize them in combat. Voldemort and his Death Eaters will not hesitate to attack you and your fellow classmates, therefore it is imperative that you are all capable of defending yourselves."

The students were quiet, but focused. Harry knew they were nervous and scared, but they were also determined.

Professor Moody stepped forward and scanned the room with his magical eye before speaking. "Questions?" he growled.

Hermione's hand was immediately in the air.

"Granger," Moody barked.

"Will the D.A still be allowed to meet?" she asked.

"Yes, of course," answered Lupin. "In fact, we were hoping to ask that it be re-opened. Harry will be helping the other defense classes as well, but everyone in this school will need to be prepared to the best of their ability. Extra defense practice will be key. Of course this time, there will be no need to keep it a secret." He ended with a chuckle.

Moody motioned that Harry could return to his seat. Ron leaned past Hermione to clap Harry on his shoulder. "Way to go, mate," he whispered. Harry smiled faintly, but wasn't so sure he agreed. Between his regular classes, extra training with the Order, quidditch, and now both the D.A. and subbing for Moody and Lupin, he didn't know when he was going to have time to sleep, much less fight Voldemort.

"The first couple of weeks, we'll be going over the basics. Including where you'll be carrying your wand!" Moody said loudly. "After we've determined you've got all the O.W.L. spells down, we'll move on to N.E.W.T. level and to combat strategies."

Lupin stepped forward to continue. "Essays and traditional homework will be few in this class." He smiled at the evident glee on his pupils faces. "However, proficiency and execution of the spells and effort in class will be what you will be mostly graded on and many of these spells and maneuvers can take hours to learn." He grinned again as their faces fell.

"Now, books away and wands out," Lupin called and the room erupted in cheers.

The rest of the class went by quickly. Moody suggested that everyone get some sort of holster for their wands, whether and arm one like Harry's or one that would sit on their hip. They were able to review most of the spells through third year before it was time to go.

"Review up through fifth year before we meet again," Lupin called out as the room emptied.

"Harry, may we have a word, please?" Lupin asked.

"Of course, Professor," Harry replied before turning back to Ron and Hermione.

"I've got to go mate, I told Luna I'd meet her after this class. See you at dinner." Ron said before rushing out the door.

Hermione began to speak when Lupin cut her off. "Actually Hermione, you can stay if you like."

Hermione quickly glanced to Harry seeking his consent and was glad when he nodded.

"Sorry that we didn't talk to you beforehand Harry, but I think Professor Dumbledore likes to have a little fun still sometimes," Lupin explained.

"That's ok, Professor. Although it would have been nice to have a heads up," Harry admitted.

"Constant Vigilance, Potter!!!" Moody shouted. "You must always be prepared!"

Harry nodded grimly to Moody and then asked what had been on his mind the last half of the class. "Er…How often do you think you'll both be gone?"

Lupin gave him a bit of a wolfish grin before answering. "Obviously the days around the full moon, I will not be available, Moody will most likely be here at these times, but if there is Order business to attend to, the class will be yours. We don't expect you to grade papers or collect homework assignments, just do what you did last year and you'll be fine."

Harry let out a relieved sigh and sagged a bit. "You have no idea how glad I am to hear that. How will I know if I need to cover a different class though?" he asked.

"Well, with Hermione's permission and assistance, I'd like to use the coin that you used last year to call meetings with." Lupin turned his attention to Hermione. "That truly was a brilliant idea, I haven't seen anyone that talented with charms since…well since Harry's mother, Lily, actually. I've said it before Hermione, you are the brightest witch of your age."

Hermione blushed and turned her head to the floor to hide her face for a moment. "Thank you, Professor," she said, looking up to meet his gaze, "and of course I'll help you with the coin."

"I appreciate it. I'd also appreciate it if you, and Ron of course, wouldn't mind helping Harry during his classes. Especially with the younger students," Lupin said.

Hermione looked a bit sheepish before saying, "I had already intended to, Professor."

Lupin laughed at this before facing Harry. "I wouldn't let this one go if I were you, Harry."

"I don't plan on it, sir," Harry said with a fierceness he wasn't expecting.

Hermione made a small noise at this and shuffled her feet a bit.

"Yes, well…best be off then," Lupin said to cover up the awkwardness. "Thank you both for your help. We'll see you next class."

Harry and Hermione waved their goodbyes and made their way out of the room.

"So…" Harry began. "You have this period free, right?"

Hermione nodded and waited for him to continue.

"Come on, let's find someplace quiet and I'll tell you about my meeting with Dumbledore."