Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Deceiver’s Distillation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Deceiver’s Distillation

jardyn39

The Deceiver's Distillation

by Jardyn39

Summary

In the holidays after his Sixth Year, Harry returns to Hogwarts after spending a few days at Privet Drive in some unusual company. He is joined by Ron and Hermione, but before he can confide his plans they will need to be tested. Will the Deceiver's Distillation reveal an impostor?

Chapter 1 - Prologue

A few days after Dumbledore's funeral ….

As the black coloured smoked glass Range Rover drove in through the vehicle lock, each member of the elite team inside was quiet and observant. They would be in and out again before most people knew they had even visited.

As usual, the team had been brought into the Establishment to act as prisoners intent upon escape. Well, that was the idea anyway. In practise, no one dared to either question them about their methods nor indeed attempt search them to make sure they hadn't tried to smuggle in any escape aids.

The car weaved slowly between the security fences behind the walking escort. Close circuit cameras followed their progress all the way around past the accommodation wings to a small compound at the rear. The large pair of gates was opened by a waiting official.

Once the gate was locked behind them, the doors of the car opened and the team disembarked. They had parked in a position that could not be overlooked by any windows, although they would still be in clear view of the cameras.

The uniformed escort that had walked them into the compound hung back while another suited man came over.

"Good morning," he said with a smile. "I'm the Head of Works. The Governor One is inside, but if there is any information you need, you might like to ask me. This escort will stay by your car. No one is authorised to come into this compound while you are here."

Sergeant John "Bear" Bateman smiled and extended his hand. He much preferred to deal with the lower ranking Governors, and today there was the bonus of no pretence at formal introductions. This Head of Works clearly had experience of similar visits, and this was confirmed by the length of his key chain swinging from his belt.

"This is some kind of an association building?" asked Bateman and they walked towards the pair of heavy grille gates.

"The new extension is, yes, but there are also inmate workshops and interview rooms in the existing building."

The Head of Works unlocked the gate and ushered them inside before locking the gate behind them. He proved the lock before walking to the front of the group again.

"The new extension is a multi-use facility. Construction has finished but we're only about halfway through commissioning. The Building Contractor left site around a week ago, after the usual dog searches. The Governor plans to occupy this building in a week or so."

"What else will you need to complete before you open?"

"Not much. Probably just a few pinboards. I've left you some tables and seats of the type we'll be using, as well as several sets of inmate clothing and items they might have access to. Inmates should never be left alone for more than one hour in this building, so that's how long you'll have.

"To be honest," he added with half a grin, "I was surprised you were even going to bother with this one. We're not exactly the highest security Establishment within the Estate, are we?"

Bateman shrugged, still looking around. "We just got ordered here. They don't let us pick and choose."

*

Bateman didn't need to be asked to keep the damage they needed to do to a minimum. He knew these places hardly had enough funding to afford new facilities, let alone carry out repairs after escape attempts. Of course, Bateman knew they would do whatever they needed to in order to achieve their objective, but they wouldn't go silly.

Not unless they were really provoked.

That is what he'd spent most of the morning telling his team members, anyway. Bateman's time honoured method of "telling" consisted of shouting quite a lot.

He really didn't want another reprimand like the one he'd got for their last jaunt. Stealing that Governor's car and using it as a battering ram hadn't gone down at all well. It wouldn't have been too bad, except than it had been parked outside the perimeter wall when they found it.

Bateman's colleagues in the Sergeant's Mess had been ribbing him about that little incident for weeks now. Few others dared mention it though, at least within earshot of him.

Unfortunately, this present Establishment's Governor was hardly endearing himself to the team, insisting upon introducing himself to each of them. This was difficult when they were under standing orders to remain anonymous to all outsiders.

The pair of steel grille gates were slammed shut with a loud clang and locked. The last thing Bateman saw was the smug grin of the Governor as he closed and locked the outer doors. Bateman made a mental note to mention the Governor's failure to prove the gate lock in his report.

"Someone's got a bet on us not getting out of here in time," Duke, the second in command, muttered.

"That'll do," Bateman said warningly, although he privately agreed. "Perimeter."

The four quickly spread out to examine the area. Bateman just stood still, looking upwards. He had decided how they were going to get out the instant he'd walked inside. The walls were concrete or heavy masonry. They could get through them, but not in under an hour, not without anything heavy. All the doors had secure grille gates and the windows all had strong grilles.

The others quickly returned.

"Roof," they all agreed.

The roof void was open and the roof trusses looked like they would be an excellent climbing aid. The problem was getting up to them. The bottom cords of the steel roof trusses were al least six metres above the ground and there were no obvious means of climbing up there.

Bateman smiled as the other four quietly brought over the two folded tables stacked against the far wall. These were assembled while four overalls were converted into a makeshift rope.

That was one of the things Bateman liked about working within the Regiment. He never needed to shout orders while they were actually on a mission. Training was different, of course, but out in the field his men never failed to impress.

Fifteen minutes later, the five of them were carefully making their way across the pitched roof, having prised back the security mesh using part of the folding table leg assembly. Bateman would have taken this anyway, as it always gave him great satisfaction to leave the Establishment baffled how they managed to climb up using a table with only two legs.

Bateman gave a hand signal, confirming they needed to remain in the blind spot of the next camera.

They would be headed for the ancillary vehicle lock now. Bateman planned to escape cleanly from the Establishment, not just from the building they had been secured within.

"Have you any idea how much that roof cost?"

They spun around to see an unassuming suited man who had addressed them from the fire escape overlooking the roofs.

"I think we can assume you have escaped within the time period," he said smiling. "I thought the idea was only to get out of the building within an hour? Why don't you come down this way?"

He turned and exited through the door.

"Who was he?"

"I've seen 'im on the news. Doesn't he manage some football team?"

"No, you idiot," said an exasperated Bateman, "although to be honest, I didn't know he did roof inspections as well."

*

They arrived back in the large association room just in time to see the Governor pass a Twenty Pound note to the Prime Minister's Private Secretary, who immediately came over to greet them.

The Governor quickly exited looking rather sheepish.

"Well done," he said smiling. "My name is Shacklebolt. I'm sorry, but I couldn't get any more than this out of him."

Shacklebolt handed Bateman the Twenty. Bateman smirked and handed it to Duke.

The Prime Minister came over and handed Bateman a Ministry of Defence envelope.

"My apologies for interrupting your fun," he said smiling and shaking Bateman's hand, "but I wanted to speak to you without anyone knowing. You will see from your orders that you are now on detached duties until further notice. You all come highly recommended, and the task I have for you is dangerous and will require all your skills."

Bateman ripped open the envelope and read the short orders.

"Excuse me, Sir, but there are no specifics here."

"That is because only the seven of us, and possibly two more, can know of your activities. Kingsley here will introduce you to your principal and explain what is required."

"But we may need ordnance and equipment."

"You may have any resource we have except more manpower, or at least manpower that knows what you are doing."

"But what?" Duke began to say.

Bateman turned to give Duke a stern look. Duke had the good sense to look apologetic for speaking out of turn.

"Close protection," answered Kingsley. "But it will be dangerous. Very dangerous."