Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Deceiver’s Distillation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Deceiver’s Distillation

jardyn39

The Deceiver's Distillation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 13 - The Healer

Ron was just introducing Mr Weasley to Bateman and his team when Hermione emerged white faced from the hospital tent.

She made straight for Harry and said quietly, "Alison is asking for you."

Harry nodded and they quickly made their way into the largest tent under a large stretch of green canvas supported by poles either side before entering through a wide open entrance.

Hermione saw him looking curiously as they passed through and said, "Yes, I thought it was strange not to have doors or something. I asked and they said it reduces the chances of infection, because of the high volumes of fresh air."

Harry knew she was chatting just to keep her mind off what Alison and Jack were going through.

"How are they?" he asked gently.

"Very poorly, Harry. The Doctors haven't seen anything like this, obviously," she said shakily. "They brought in a Healer from St Mungos and she was amazed that they survived this long."

They entered the makeshift ward. At the far end of the large tent, Aurors were standing guard over some patients that Harry couldn't see. He presumed these were injured prisoners.

Harry looked back and realised Mr Ollivander was sitting quietly in a metal framed canvas chair, looking around in wide eyed amazement. His forearms were held out as if resting upon invisible armrests and his hands were shaking violently.

"Is he okay?" asked Harry quietly.

At that moment a nurse walked in carrying a tray. Ollivander's face immediately cracked into a bright smile, as if he'd recognised her. Almost immediately his face fell again and he went back to his bemused state.

"He does that with everyone who walks in," said Hermione. "It's a bit creepy. No one can get any sense out of him."

"What about the wand he had?"

"I took it away from him and gave it to one of the Ministry people. I didn't think he was safe to keep it."

"Good idea," agreed Harry, his eyes resting upon Gurnet's bed. Hermione went back outside into the now bright morning sunshine, looking close to tears. It seemed like she could not bear to watch them suffer any further.

Harry walked over and realised that Gurnet was sleeping soundly on his side, so he went around and sat at his back where Alison was.

She opened her eyes just as he sat down.

"I'm sorry," said Harry. "Did I wake you?"

"No, I keep drifting in and out. At least they managed to make us comfortable."

Harry nodded. He wanted to smile reassuringly, but he just couldn't. He looked down, ashamed that he couldn't even do that for her.

Alison reached out and gently stroked his forehead, pushing his hair aside.

Harry looked up at her, blinking back tears.

She smiled kindly and said, "Jack wasn't really angry with you. He was just annoyed with himself for letting himself down."

Harry shook his head.

"He told me his orders were just to patrol outside. He wasn't supposed to go anywhere near your house. He knew his friend Bear was with you, and he was resentful that he hadn't been chosen to lead. That's all."

"He just came barging in when I answered the door," said Harry.

"He had no idea that you were the one they were all protecting."

"I fired before thinking."

"You did exactly what Jack's colleagues told you to do. What you have to do in order to survive. Jack knows this."

"He moved so fast," continued Harry, remembering the moment clearly. "He was on me before I could react, even though I had just stunned him. I fired again at point blank range, and he still attacked."

"Well, that's Jack for you," she said with a smile.

"And then the others opened fire."

"Still, the ambulance was quick to respond. He was in casualty after only a few minutes, and you had already managed to stem much of the bleeding."

"Is that where?" Harry asked uncertainly.

"Yes. All I remember was a group of weirdoes in black cloaks storming into casualty just as we were trying to get Jack ready for surgery. Unfortunately I was the one who intervened and they took me as well. I don't know what happened to the others."

"They're all dead," Harry said sadly. "They murdered them all."

"How did they know to grab Jack, though?"

"We think there is a spy at the Ministry, except they got it wrong. Kingsley put a report about the incident almost straight away. He intended for Ministry people to attend and take care of him, but the message got intercepted. The Death Eaters believed that he was in charge of the team guarding me."

"Who is Kingsley?"

"Sorry," said Harry looking around. Fortunately Kingsley happened to be talking to someone just outside the open entrance. He shifted so she had a clear view. "Can you see the two people standing over there? Kingsley is the tall one."

Alison nodded as best she could.

"They patched Jack up just enough to interrogate him. Of course, he had nothing to tell. For some reason, he couldn't even tell them the name of the town you were in. From what he told me after, it sounded like he actually managed to get more information out of them.

"They pretty much left me alone until Jack was released to the Healer. For a while, I wondered why they bothered to take me. Frankly, I was beginning to fear a lot worse than this!"

Harry shook his head but stopped when Alison grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"I'm a nurse, Harry. I'm not squeamish and I don't embarrass easily. I've bullied and coaxed enough people with appalling injuries to stop feeling sorry for themselves to know that it is usually the mindset that makes the difference between surviving and living. Sometimes you don't win, but it's the fight that matters."

Harry looked for a long moment into her fiery defiant eyes.

"Harry, I mean it. Look, I need you to promise me something."

"Sure. Anything."

"I want you to ensure that what happened to us and all the others that were captured is properly publicised. I know there's no point in trying to get anything in our newspapers, but the wizarding media needs to bring the full horrors of what these people are capable of to the general wizarding public."

"Well, I'll try."

"I need your promise, Harry. What do you think kept Jack going all this time? We survived to bear witness, Harry. I lost count of the number of bodies they just made vanish before our eyes. This is important!"

"Okay, I promise."

"Thank you," she said, appearing to relax. After taking a moment to recover, Alison smiled again and said, "I had an interesting conversation with your friend Hermione, earlier."

Harry nodded with polite interest but was curious to see Alison's smile widen.

"Oh, leave the boy alone," said Gurnet suddenly, making Harry start.

Alison giggled and said, "How long have you been awake?"

"Long enough to know you're interfering where you shouldn't. Honestly, if I'd known what you were like, I'd have insisted upon being stitched up with someone else."

Alison laughed and Harry smiled despite himself. He made to stand, intending to walk round to see Gurnet, when Alison held him back.

"Hey, we're not done yet!"

Harry shrugged and sat again.

"So," continued Alison lightly, "I understand that you've recently become available again?"

Harry felt his face redden as Gurnet threatened, "I can always roll over, you know?"

"From what I've learned from Hermione," Alison continued undeterred, just before she suddenly burst into laughter.

"Hey! Stop tickling me, Jack!"

Harry couldn't help himself from laughing as the pair of them continued to tease one another.

As they eventually calmed, it occurred to Harry how especially cruel it had been to join them facing away from each other.

"Harry?"

Harry got up and walked round so that Gurnet could see him. This time Alison didn't interfere.

"I wanted to apologise for what I said to you before, about it being your fault that we are in this situation."

Harry looked down and said, "Thanks, but there's really no need."

"John said you would be departing soon, and that the only reason you agreed to have him stay this long was to get us out."

Harry shrugged.

"Are you sure you're ready?"

"No, I know I'm not, but I'm not prepared to lose anyone else."

"You know that losses are inevitable?" said Gurnet before coughing violently.

"Yes, probably, but-" began Harry. Seeing Gurnet going very red in the face and in obvious discomfort, he asked, "Are you alright?"

As Harry leaned in, Gurnet grabbed his right hand.

Harry immediately fumbled for the alarm on the pillow a Healer in a St Mungos uniform Apparated next to him with a soft pop. Alison had pushed her own alarm.

As more medical staff arrived to help, Harry found himself being pushed to the back. He didn't protest, not wanting to get in the way, but at the same time he just couldn't leave.

Gurnet's laboured breathing grew louder and then became a gurgle as Alison began to sob.

Harry knew the end was close. He just wanted their pain to stop; for them to go in peace.

Harry became aware that Ollivander was standing next to him, as if, like Harry, compelled to stand there as a vigil.

He found himself disengaging from the frenzy of activity in front of them. Just at the moment when he stopped looking, Harry began to sense something new.

It was as if the medical staff weren't there. All Harry could sense in front of him was Alison and Jack. It was like they had combined to create a unique aura. Harry was on the verge seeing further, when a touch to his arm brought him crashing back to reality.

"Jack Gurnet is dead," said the Healer quietly. "Alison Weston is alive but she can only have minutes to live. We've given her painkillers, but you might like to stay with her for the end. There hasn't been time to contact her family. She knows that she hasn't long."

Harry nodded shakily and moved towards the bed. Alison had her eyes closed and was breathing in short, shallow breaths. Jack's head was now covered but his arms were still splayed out.

He sat and gently took hold of Alison's hand. After a moment he felt a weak squeeze and a small smile appeared on her face.

Alison blinked and then slowly opened her eyes. A tear fell as she mouthed something before half closing her eyes again.

Harry leaned closer to listen, but she didn't repeat whatever she said. He decided to move closer in case she wanted to say anything again.

Careful not to lose her hand, Harry moved off the seat and kneeled beside the bed.

Alison opened her eyes again and this time it took her a moment to focus on him. Harry smiled warmly back at her and squeezed her hand. He wanted her to know she wasn't alone.

Her eyes appeared to lose focus again and as Harry watched intently, Alison looked over his shoulder.

Suddenly her face became distorted with a mixture of rage and fear. She drew in a deep breath and tried to scream, only she couldn't.

Harry turned quickly, but the only person there was Ollivander, quietly looking on with his usual vacant, bemused expression.

He looked back at Alison who was now looking at him with a panicked, pleading expression.

She mouthed one word.

"Healer."

Harry drew out his wand and turned. Ollivander had gone, but he hadn't heard him Disapparate.

He momentarily looked down again, but he knew Alison had already gone.

Harry rushed to the tent entrance and shouted, "Ollivander! Has anyone seen Ollivander?!"

Hermione was standing alone a few yards away, her arms folded, looking anxious. Harry headed straight for her at a run. Ron was just a blur as Harry rushed past.

"Harry, what?"

He was about to call to her when Ollivander Apparated right behind her. Harry aimed and fired, his spell throwing Ollivander back.

Ollivander quickly recovered and rushed towards Hermione.

Just as Ollivander grabbed her, Harry dived towards them and caught hold of Hermione's ankle just in time.

Ollivander Disapparated at once, taking both of them with him.