Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Deceiver’s Distillation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Deceiver’s Distillation

jardyn39

The Deceiver's Distillation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 8: The Gift

Harry found himself sitting in a large wooden, high backed chair, laughing so hard he couldn't breath. His eyes were watering and he was beginning to feel faint through lack of air.

He steadied himself on the wide arm rests to the throne-like chair and breathed shallow breaths until he recovered a little.

He looked across to the four long dining tables and smiled.

Most of the assembled Death Eaters were drunk and several were strewn across the floor. His eyes lingered on Snape for a moment. He was certainly sober, though, and looking most uncomfortable.

Harry looked down. At his feet, a fallen Centaur, covered in blood was about to breathe his last breath.

Harry instinctively knew that it was the Centaur's humiliation that had caused so much mirth. So much so, he realised, that Voldemort had lost control and allowed him an unintentional glimpse through his eyes again.

Harry relaxed, allowing Voldemort's pleasure to flow through him.

He knew the Centaur was finished. The twisted and broken legs were twitching and as his gaze went to the Centaur's face he began to convulse violently.

Harry defocussed and allowed himself to fall away slightly from Voldemort's consciousness.

It would be better if he lost the connection than give himself away by reacting. He was afraid, at that moment, of recognising who the Centaur was.

The Centaur died just as Harry left, but no-one other than Voldemort appeared to pay him the slightest attention.

*

Harry woke and immediately opened his eyes. He reached for his glasses. Sunlight was streaming into the Hospital Wing. Next to him, Professor McGonagall was dozing in a chair. Hagrid had pushed four beds together and was snoring loudly opposite from him.

He gave a start when he saw Bateman sitting looking at him, gun in hand.

"Aren't you afraid of that thing going off accidentally?" Harry asked in a croaky voice.

Bateman smiled and shrugged before holstering the pistol.

"Is that wise?" asked Harry.

"This was just a precaution. Believe it or not," said Bateman quietly, "I didn't actually want to shoot you."

Harry raised his eyebrows.

"Well, maybe I did when you changed like that. It only occurred to me afterwards that you might have been slipped something to make us believe you were an impostor."

Harry nodded.

"Voldemort's celebrations are still continuing," he said rubbing his hair. "The really scary thing is that he may have predicted that I would use the Deceiver's Distillation."

"You think he really did predict that?"

"I don't know. He could have had an informant, but the number of suspects is very small."

"Too small to be credible, actually."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, how many people knew about it apart from you? Slughorn," Bateman said counting off his fingers, "McGonagall and Hagrid."

"Except, Hagrid didn't know what it was Slughorn was brewing."

"Yes, but he knew it was significant. That alone could have tipped Voldemort off."

Harry nodded in agreement.

"More importantly," continued Bateman, "there was no time to administer anything. Slughorn said the potion had to be several months old."

"Assuming he can be trusted."

"Well, McGonagall confirmed what he said was true. She also checked what Slughorn had prepared."

"Um, that's Professor McGonagall," stressed Harry realising that she was awake and listening to their conversation.

She smiled at him and straightened herself up.

"What else do you think, Sergeant?" she asked, pointing her wand at her face and giving it a casual wave. She was clearly freshening herself up.

"Well, I was wondering if we exposed something in Harry a little early. I mean, what if Harry had transformed like that in front of a crowd of people. There'd be panic and instantly he'd become the most wanted man in the country."

McGonagall stopped waving her wand and said thoughtfully, "You know? That's actually rather astute. Voldemort would certainly enjoy such a plan. I wonder when he proposed to implement it?"

Harry was heartened to hear her use Voldemort's name.

"Well," said Harry, "Scrimgeour wanted me to go to the Ministry and endorse them. I'd have been mobbed by reporters, I expect."

"Indeed," she agreed. "I wonder how many he's got working for him in the Ministry?" she added darkly.

She turned to Harry.

"Harry, I don't wish to seem inhospitable, but I think you should consider leaving Hogwarts a little earlier than perhaps you planned. We will have the School Governors here shortly, and I'm afraid I can't vouch for all of them."

"I understand, Professor. Thank you for allowing us to stay for as long as we have. Will the school be open next year?"

"I honestly cannot say. I suspect it will, but I'm very much afraid of what will happen. Both the Governors and myself have received an extraordinary number of applications for teaching posts."

"Voldemort's supporters no doubt," said Harry bitterly.

"No doubt at all. I've applied for the post of Headmistress, but my support is limited. I know that the Governors have been under extraordinary pressure from the Ministry to appoint an outsider to the post."

"No," breathed Harry, suddenly afraid of the implications of having an active Voldemort supporter as Head.

"Oh, don't worry too much about it. Albus took certain steps to protect the school. He knew for some time that this might happen. A politically appointed Head will find it very difficult to properly administer the school. Indeed, they may even have trouble getting into certain parts school.

"However, you will always be welcome here, Harry. The castle and grounds will always admit you.

"You won't need to bother asking permission to enter, should you wish to use the library or any other part of the castle. Just Floo to the Room of Requirement. The Room has been closed to everyone except you, Hermione and Ron. You'll step into a room with several fireplaces, each leading to somewhere in the castle.

"Now that you've each taken the Deceiver's Distillation, no one who was impersonated you using Polyjuice Potion will be able to enter, obviously.

"Oh, and if you do not wish to Floo, you will find that an entrance in the perimeter wall will open just by tapping the stone with your wand. Don't attempt to allow anyone else to enter, though. It would be fatal to them. Ron and Hermione can enter the grounds that way, but only your wand will form an entrance."

"Wow, thank you Professor."

"Well, you should be thanking Albus, actually. Of course, I'll always be glad to see you should you wish to pay us a visit. You'll find the Room of Requirement will supply you with almost anything you need, from Dark Detectors to Potions Ingredients. It will also supply gold, should you have expenses, but I'd recommend you only use that in emergencies. You see, the money is taken from the school accounts. If there is another Headmaster, they would know that the Room supplied you."

Harry nodded.

Professor McGonagall stood and smiled down at him.

"I'll send Ron and Hermione up to you shortly, once Poppy has discharged you. Please wake up Hagrid before you go. He'd never forgive me if you went without saying goodbye."

"I will," said Harry, smiling at her.

"Good luck, Harry," she said warmly. "I take it you'll be taking your toy soldiers with you?"

Bateman grinned and nodded.

"Yes," said Harry. "We'll need their protection for a while longer, but then we'll part for a while."

"Trust no-one," she said seriously, "and tell no-one of your entire plans."

*

Harry groaned reaching over the two squabbling house elves and lifted the rucksack they had been fighting over out of both their hands.

"I thought I made myself clear," said Harry. "This fighting has to stop."

Dobby looked absolutely distraught at this mild rebuke but Kreacher's smile told Harry that he was enjoying provoking Dobby.

"Kreacher, I thought I told you to wear the clothes that Dobby got you?"

"Kreacher won't wear clothes!"

"It is my wish that you smarten yourself up," said Harry. "I want you to wear something presentable."

"Then why doesn't Master give Kreacher clothes?" replied the elf with a defiant grin.

Harry knelt so he was almost down to Kreacher's eye level.

"Kreacher, you are my responsibility. I will free you when you are ready, but not yet. Now, are you coming with us or do you want me to command you to remain here at Hogwarts?"

"Kreacher does as he is ordered!"

"I will not order you to come with me, Kreacher. It may be dangerous, but to be honest Hogwarts may not be a great place to be for a while."

"What does Master want?"

"I will be pleased to have your company, but only if you are sure."

Dobby was looking thunderous as Harry turned to him.

"Dobby, you are a free elf."

"Dobby is coming with Master Harry and won't take no for an answer."

Harry smiled warmly at him and said, "Thanks, Dobby. What about Winky?"

Dobby's ears appears to droop a little as he said, "Winky wishes to remain at Hogwarts."

Harry placed a reassuring hand on the elf's shoulder and said, "You can visit her anytime, Dobby. Maybe she'll change her mind later."

He lifted up the rucksack and asked, "So, what's in here?"

"It is a gift, Harry Potter!" said Dobby, sounding happier. "There is one each for you, Master Ron and Miss Hermione. You each have an invisibility cloak and some premixed Potions as well as some booklets on Survival Spells. They are Ministry of Magic Auror fields kits."

"Wow," said Harry peeking inside a couple of the pockets. "Who gave us these?"

"It was Mr Shacklebolt, Sir!"

*

Harry reached out and pulled the rucksack out of Ron's hands before he had the chance to open it.

"Hey!" complained Ron.

"You'll have plenty of time to look through this later, Ron. Right now I need to talk to you both. Please take a seat."

Harry, Ron and Hermione sat down. They were alone in the Room of Requirement, which was empty apart from three plain timber chairs facing each other.

"I'm sorry to drag you both all the way up here, but I wanted us to be able to talk in private. I wanted to speak to you both before we leave."

Hermione nodded seriously, giving Harry her full attention. Ron was still eyeing the unopened rucksack.

"First of all, I want you to know how much I appreciate your support," said Harry with a smile, looking from Ron to Hermione. "I would never have even had an opportunity to fight without your friendship and support. It has meant everything to me. I want you to remember that."

A small frown appeared on Hermione's face.

"What are you trying to say, Harry?"

Ron looked curiously at Hermione and then immediately back to Harry.

Harry hesitated and then said gently, "I'm not taking you with me. Either of you."

They sat in stunned silence for a moment.

"W-Why, Harry?" stammered Hermione.

"Yeah, why?" added Ron.

Harry sighed and said, "Our strength has always been our trust. I have always trusted both of you implicitly, and I like to think that the same applies to both of you."

They nodded in agreement.

"Ron, you don't trust me right now and you may not entirely trust Hermione. You are suspicious and jealous. It really doesn't matter if you are right or not, it is your feelings that are important. For my part, I'm concerned that you'll do or say something that may compromise us. If there is any amount of resentment at the back of your mind it may influence you."

Ron sat open mouthed for a moment. He began to shake his head and Harry fully expected him to vehemently deny what Harry had just said.

Then he became still and said, "Actually, Harry. You're right. Well, in part, you're right. I did think you were likely to make a move for Hermione. I've thought that for quite a while. To be honest, I think that was mainly because you two are so close. I've lost count of the times you two are so much in tune with what you're thinking and what's going on its just weird."

Hermione was looking at Ron in mild shock. Harry was a little surprised that his friend would or could make such an admission as well.

"But the thing is," continued Ron, "I think I could get over it. I mean, I know I can trust both of you and I have no right to be that selfish, even if-" he trailed off. "It might take me a little time, but I honestly think we could overcome this."

Harry smiled and said warmly, "Yes, Ron, I'm sure you would too. But in the meantime, you must be regarded as a risk, albeit a small one."

Harry turned to Hermione, but didn't speak.

She looked back defiantly at him for a long moment before her cheeks grew red and her lips began to quiver.

Ron looked quite stunned and made to reach out uncertainly to her. Hermione shrugged him off roughly and burst into tears.

"How long have you known?" she managed to say between great sobs.

"What are you talking about?" asked Ron.

Harry remained silent as Hermione continued to sob. Ron looked helplessly between them.

"Is one of you going to explain any time soon?" Ron asked in frustration.

"Don't worry. I'll never speak of this," said Harry getting to his feet. "As far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed. I will always cherish your friendship, Hermione. If ever you need-"

"SHUT UP!" she yelled at the top of her voice. "JUST SHUT UP!"

Hermione panted a couple of times before adding, "Don't you dare tell me nothing has changed!"

Harry took two steps towards the door before Ron caught hold of his arm.

"Harry, sit down," he ordered shakily. "Please?"

Harry felt torn. On the one hand he wanted to leave and never look back. On the other he wanted to stay. In the end Ron's tug on his arm sent him back to his chair.

"Good," said Ron trying his best to sound calm. "Now it's just a wild guess, but I'd say that Harry knows whatever this thing is, Hermione. I also think, from his silence, that he needs you to confess before he'll think about forgiving you."

"There's really nothing to forgive, Ron," insisted Harry.

"Oh, yes there is," said Hermione thickly, wiping her eyes.

They sat quietly for a long moment, Hermione dabbing her eyes and sniffing.

"I'm sorry Harry," she said eventually. "You are quite right, of course. You can't trust me, not after what I have done. I'm so sorry. How much do you know?"

Harry shook his head and said, "I need to hear it from you. If I tell you what I know, you might be tempted to lie about what I don't. I'd never know if you were just trying to make the best of a bad situation."

Ron was frowning now.

"Um, do you two want to talk in private?"

"No, Ron," said Hermione. "I need you to know too. It's been horrible. I've been so scared you'd both find out, ever since-"

"Why don't you start at the beginning, Hermione," interrupted Harry. "Start with Diagon Alley."

"No, Harry. It started at the Burrow, I'm afraid."

Harry smiled sadly.

"Oh, of course, you knew about the Burrow too?" said Hermione with dawning comprehension.

Harry nodded and said gently, "I needed you to admit it. There's actually quite a lot I still don't know."

"Hermione, could you just get on with it?" complained Ron.

"Yes. But first I also want to apologise to you, Ron."

"Me?"

"Yes. I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry while you were still talking to me."