Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Deceiver’s Distillation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Deceiver’s Distillation

jardyn39

The Deceiver's Distillation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 6 - A Little Miracle

Harry was sitting under the shade of the large beech tree by the lake when he heard Hermione approach him. He was surprised that she had sought him out so soon after their conversation in the Great Hall. This somewhat fuelled his suspicion that Hermione had used the excuse of needing to speak to Ron just to get out of there and do some quick thinking, not that he really blamed her.

She sat down next to him and looked around.

"Where are your minders, Harry?"

"Oh, they're never far but they are quite good in allowing me to at least pretend I have some privacy."

Hermione snorted.

"You okay," he asked gently, seeing she looked a little red in the face.

"I'm fine," Hermione said quietly.

"Did you tell Ron what you needed to?"

"Well kind of. He wasn't quite so keen to speak to me alone as you are, Harry. That made things a little awkward, since I had no intention of telling those other two anything."

"Hagland and Smith you mean?"

"Yes, I think so. Anyway, I told Ron as best I could, although I'm sure he wasn't listening to me half the time."

"He's probably concerned you might perform an Unforgivable Curse on him," Harry said smiling.

"Well, he certainly tempted me to," said Hermione sounding annoyed. "Unfortunately I haven't got my wand back yet."

Harry waited for Hermione to calm herself and tell him what she wanted in her own time.

"I've known for a long time, Harry," she began looking out across the lake. "I mean, I've known about your ability for a long time. In fact, I knew from the first moment we met on the train. I really didn't know what to make of it, really. I recall gibbering on about books to stop myself being too obvious."

Harry frowned but remained silent.

"I was a little worried about it, so I consulted Professor McGonagall. She was rather dismissive at first, but I suspect she mentioned it to Professor Dumbledore, because she called me to her office shortly after to speak to me about it.

"She gave me some books to read and gave me some simple exercises to practice. She said it was important for me to understand what I could feel and also give myself an opportunity to block them when I wanted."

"You're talking about Occlumency, aren't you?"

"Yes, it's very similar, anyway. You were my benchmark, actually. Professor McGonagall said so long as you couldn't detect my emotional state, then I was progressing at an acceptable standard."

"Did Snape ever test you?"

"Oh, no. Professor McGonagall told me never to tell anyone. She was most insistent about that."

"Have you ever asked her why?"

"No, I knew she'd just say it was what Dumbledore had recommended."

Harry nodded. He was sure that would still be McGonagall's answer.

"Hang on. You said you could see this ability in me. That means you must be able to perform Legilimency too."

"Oh, no, Harry. I just feel strong emotions. I've never seen anything else and I often can't see anything at all. I can't tell when people are lying and things like that."

"Emotions," Harry repeated, thinking hard. "I still don't get it. If you could shield your emotions from me, why did Dumbledore tell you to distance yourself from me?"

"Well, that's the point. I couldn't. I was putting all my energies into just blocking you. Thankfully, all through Fifth Year you were too wrapped up in yourself to notice that I was just a wreck."

"Fifth Year?"

"Yes, that's when I began to have problems. I think you were affected by Cho's emotions as well that year. I suspect Dumbledore was worried I'd have a similar effect on you, actually."

"So what was it you were trying to hide from me?"

"I'd rather not say."

"Are you blocking me now?"

"Absolutely! I'm feeling rather insecure now," she added with half a laugh and tucking her hair behind her ear.

Harry stared intently at Hermione's smiling face for a moment. He dropped his gaze, unable to return her smile.

"I'm not sure, Hermione. If I didn't know better," he said trailing off.

"What?"

"Well, isn't that what an impostor would hint at?" he said cruelly. Harry immediately regretted these words but fortunately Hermione thought he was joking.

"Except the Deceiver's Distillation cleared me, don't forget!"

"Cleared you? No, Hermione, you weren't cleared. I asked Slughorn, and he agreed that your transformation into a cat having taken Polyjuice Potion in our Second Year might have an effect. That's why you had those stomach pains, although he half expected you to grow all furry again."

"But the way we spoke," said Hermione uncertainly.

"We'll know the results in a couple of hours. Don't worry about it."

They sat quietly together for several minutes. Hermione fidgeted the whole time but didn't say anything further. Harry could feel himself growing more despondent with every passing minute.

When it was clear to him that Hermione had nothing further to say, Harry got to his feet.

"Go back to the castle, Hermione. Hope and Carlyle are waiting for you in the Entrance Hall. I'll see you before dinner in the Great Hall."

Harry turned and walked off towards Hagrid's house.

*

Harry arrived at the corral before he knew it. Coming back to himself he stepped under the fence and stood waiting for the Hippogriff to realise he was there.

Careful not to blink, he bowed deeply.

Almost at once Buckbeak bowed in return and Harry walked forward to stroke him on his large beak.

Buckbeak stared down at him for a long moment as if making a critical examination. Harry looked back up into Buckbeak's large keen eyes and was sure he knew of his inner torment. Buckbeak crouched down, clearly inviting Harry to climb aboard.

Harry smiled and nodded before climbing aboard. He had just secured himself when Buckbeak launched himself up into the air.

For the first time in what seemed like ages, Harry felt the exhilaration of flight. The wind on his face simply wiped away his concerns. Even if this was a temporary respite, it was still most welcome.

They did two wide circles around the castle before heading off to the edge of the mountains.

Buckbeak climbed higher than they had ever flown before diving back down to follow the perimeter of the grounds and then back to the corral.

Harry braced himself for a heavy landing but as usual, Buckbeak landed with barely a bump.

He slid off Buckbeak's back and still grinning, he patted him saying, "Thanks, Buckbeak. I really needed that."

Harry turned to see Ron sitting patiently on the corral fence. He was rather glad he had seen him as he had been about to confide some of his problems aloud to Buckbeak, having hoped that voicing them would help to see a better viewpoint.

He walked over to him as Buckbeak began to ferret around for some worms.

"Shouldn't you be using his new name, Witherwings?"

Harry shook his head seriously.

"His name is Buckbeak, and I'm tired of things not being what they appear to be."

Ron raised his eyebrows as Harry climbed through the fence. He jumped down to walk back with Harry.

"Witherwings," spat Harry contemptuously. "What kind of name is that?"

"Not another one!"

"Sorry?"

"Well, Hermione was going on about something weird too earlier."

Harry looked at Ron and said, "Hermione wanted to tell you something before she told me something. I don't know what she told you, but what she told me was pretty strange."

Ron stopped in his tracks and Harry came to a halt too.

"Did you two have a row, or something?" asked Ron suspiciously.

"A row? No, not at all. But, I did send her back to the castle while I came here to think."

"Yeah, she mentioned you being all high handed," Ron said with half a smile. "I think it was something more, though."

Harry sighed deeply and they continued walking.

"I got the impression she was expecting me to know what she was talking about straight away," said Harry carefully.

"I'm not sure we should give her back her wand right away," said Ron.

"Why ever not?"

"Well, I think she feels she owes me a hex or two for the way I reacted when she took that Potion. I should have paid more attention to your reaction."

"I'm sure Hermione won't hex you, Ron."

"She said you were expecting her to have a reaction?"

"Actually, that wasn't it. In fact," said Harry coming to a stop again. "I knew it was her. I could feel her reaction and her pain. She was more upset that I might not believe her, though."

"You'd make quite a double act, you know? You're sounding just as mad as she was."

Harry snorted and made to walk on when Ron caught his arm.

"Hang on, Harry. I really need a word."

"Sure, Ron. What is it?"

"Look," he said hesitantly. "First of all, don't laugh at me when I tell you this."

"Of course not, if there's something troubling you. What is it?" Harry asked seriously.

Ron appeared to be searching for the words and Harry waited patiently.

"It was what Hermione told me. I mean, I knew she would. Maybe not quite so quickly, or frankly, though," said Ron, looking down at his feet.

"What is it?" said Harry with genuine concern.

"I need to ask you something, but you may not realise why I'm asking," said Ron looking up. "Let's just agree it's important for me to know, and leave it at that for now, okay?"

Harry frowned for a moment but then said, "Sure, Ron. Ask away."

"Well," said Ron, drawing a deep breath, "first of all. You know I've kind of liked Hermione for a while now?"

Harry nodded.

"But you've never said anything. I mean, you've never said how you felt about us."

Harry raised his eyebrows with mild surprise. He struggled to find an answer.

"You want me to be honest?" he asked seriously.

Ron nodded.

"Well, I've never really known how Hermione felt about you. Frankly, I was surprised by her actions this last year. I thought she was unusually immature; but then so were you, even by your standards."

"When I said honest," began Ron.

Harry grinned and said, "Hey, at least you both found each other. I mean, found a new level to your friendship. I'm sure you can build on that now."

"Harry, I need to hear you say something," pressed Ron. "I know you'll say I'm being immature again. Well, maybe I am."

"What?"

"What did you feel about us two getting together?"

"Well, at the beginning I didn't bother considering it. I honestly thought the possibility of you two forming any romantic bond between arguments was quite remote. As it is, I'm happy to remain quietly incredulous knowing that miracles do happen."

Ron rolled his eyes.

"Did you really mean that last part?"

"Yes, Ron," said Harry laughing, "I think you're a little miracle."

"I'm serious, Harry."

"Look, for a moment, just a fleeting moment, I did feel a little weird about it. At first I put it down to fear of just getting in the way. You know, three's a crowd and all that."

"Go on," said Ron.

"I'm not sure there is anything more," said Harry. "I've already said more than I intended."

"I realise that, Harry. I appreciate it, I really do. The thing is, I need to ask one more thing."

"Okay."

"Are you jealous?"

"Ron, you're both my two best friends. How could I possibly resent your both finding happiness. If you find it together, I'm fine with that."

"No, Harry. I mean, I believe what you say, but it's what you're not saying that's troubling me."

"You may need to explain that."

"I think that if Hermione found happiness, you'd be happy for her because she's your friend."

"That's true. What am I missing?"

"I think that you'd force yourself to be happy for her, to the exclusion of your own happiness."

"Sure, whatever."

"So, you do have feelings for her."

"I didn't need to say that, Ron. You know what Hermione means to me. She's an important part of my life and I need her love and support, now more than ever. Don't expect me ever to deny I have feelings for her."

"Yeah, yeah," Ron said impatiently. "But you find her attractive, don't you?"

"Well, she is attractive. She's also bright, caring and funny."

"But you fancy her, don't you?" said Ron, grabbing his arm. "That's why you dumped Ginny."

Harry was taken aback by the abruptness of this accusation.

"Ron," Harry said gently, "it sounds like you expect me to make her choose between you and me."

Ron didn't say anything.

"Ron, I promise you, I won't do that. Quite apart from the fact that I'd lose both my best friends by doing that, I suspect that Hermione would react badly to any more high-handiness from me," he replied smiling.

Ron let go of his arm and stood still.

Then he swore loudly.

Harry frowned and asked, "Ron, you didn't tell Hermione of these concerns, did you?"

Ron nodded reluctantly.

"Just great, Ron. Where is she?" Harry asked with resignation.