Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Deceiver’s Distillation by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Deceiver’s Distillation

jardyn39

The Deceiver's Distillation

by Jardyn39

Chapter 7 - Revelations

Harry climbed through the Portrait hole into the Gryffindor common room. He was relieved to see Hermione curled up on the couch in front of the fireplace. It she had been up in the girls' dormitories, he would have had to ask Professor McGonagall how to get up there.

"Hermione?" he asked gently.

She stirred slowly and pushed herself up straighter. Her face was red and her eyes were puffy from crying. He sat down next to her.

"I'm really sorry," said Harry. "Ron just quizzed me as well. I think he was just being insecure. I'd have been here sooner only it took him a while to get to the point."

Hermione snorted and smiled.

"That's better," he said taking her hand. "Now keep smiling and think forgiving thoughts."

Hermione's face dropped almost at once.

"Hermione, you know Ron has even less experience with nice girls than I do. Now that he's finally realising how great you are, he's bound to become jealous of everyone you even look at for a while, anyway."

Hermione shrugged her shoulders.

"I know he's already regretting what he said, Hermione. Please give him another chance. He deserves one second chance, doesn't he?"

"He used up his second chance a while ago," she said thickly.

"A while? We only finished term a few days ago! Anyway, how about a third chance then?"

"I think he's already used his sixth chance."

"Seven times a charm?"

*

They left the Common Room just after five o'clock.

Harry hadn't even attempted to get Hermione to speak further in the Common Room. Right then he was just there for her as a friend. Nothing else mattered, although he suspected Bateman wouldn't have approved of his not taking advantage of Hermione's distress.

Just after the clock had chimed to indicate they should go dinner, Hermione had departed to freshen up leaving him alone with his thoughts for a few minutes.

Harry realised that he was certain, beyond anything the Deceiver's Distillation might tell them later, of his trust in Hermione. The only problem was that Harry still couldn't explain to himself how this could be.

Harry and Hermione walked down the staircase to the entrance lobby where they found Ron waiting for them looking distinctly uneasy.

"I'll see you inside," said Harry diplomatically, leaving them at the foot of the stairs. "There's no hurry."

He walked through the doors and immediately became aware of two people that had followed him. He turned to see it was Duke and Careem.

"I had no idea you were following me that closely," he admitted.

They both grinned and Careem said, "Well, you looked a little distracted."

Harry shook his head and went over to the tables which looked like they had been elongated slightly to form a larger square in the middle of the Great Hall.

Slughorn was sitting with four corked flasks in front of him.

"Everything okay, Professor?" asked Harry.

"Well, I'm sure the test will work. I just wish I knew what the outcome would be," he replied looking rather worried. "Did your conversations with Miss Granger and Mr Weasley give you any reassurance?"

Professor McGonagall entered the hall at that point and Slughorn got to his feet, saving Harry from answering him. Hagrid game into the hall next, followed by Ron and Hermione. Bateman and the others entered the hall from the side door.

McGonagall indicated for everyone to sit.

"Horace? Are you ready?" she asked.

Slughorn smiled widely and Harry could tell he was enjoying the moment and would no doubt present his results with dramatic effect.

"First of all, the standard tests. We knew Mr Weasley was inadvertently exposed to a love potion in the last year, but I can confirm that no other potions that might influence him have been detected."

"Love potion?" asked Hermione in surprise. "Ron, you didn't tell us about that!"

"Sorry," said Ron, "I assumed Harry told you."

Hermione turned to Harry, her eyebrows raised enquiringly.

"I didn't want to embarrass Ron, Hermione. He took it by accident."

Slughorn cleared his throat wearing an expression that betrayed his annoyance that his audience was becoming distracted.

"Miss Granger is also clear, however," he said before pausing. He turned with an exaggerated arm gesture, "I did detect that Mr Potter has been exposed to something unusual."

Everyone looked at Harry who could not help himself from frowning at Slughorn. Was he about to tell everyone what they had discovered?

"I'm still not entirely sure what it was. It was either administered a long time ago or the dose was very carefully controlled. My guess would be the latter, actually."

"What was it?" asked Harry, realising this was something new.

"I have not been able to determine the precise ingredients but there were some very exotic ingredients. Some of them appear to be from part of the Amortentia family of potions, but not ones that are commonly available."

Harry shook his head.

"The interesting thing is that something counteracted the potion," continued Slughorn. "I believe that's why I have not been able to get conclusive results."

"Someone slipped me an antidote?"

"I suspect not, actually. I think something else counteracted the effects. Perhaps a mild Strengthening Solution."

"I didn't know that was possible."

"Well, it only rarely has that effect. The Strengthening Solution would have had to be administered at the right moment. Had you been exposed to anything like a love potion, it would only have had an intermittent effect at best."

They were silent for a few moments before Slughorn picked up one of the flasks in front of him. He swirled the deep red liquid inside, bringing everyone's attention back to him.

"Who wants to go first?" he asked with a grin.

"Me," said Harry and Hermione both together.

There were a few chuckles from around the table.

"Well, ladies first I think," said Slughorn, placing the flask down and reaching for the last flask. He picked it up and walked round to where Hermione was sitting.

"Pull the cork out. The liquid will vaporise and the vapour will be attracted to you. Don't be alarmed, it's perfectly harmless."

Hermione took the flask.

With a fleeting look at Harry, she pulled out the cork. A thick cloud erupted from the flask which drifted lazily towards her until it enveloped her almost completely.

Through the mist, Harry could see Hermione's indistinct outline.

Then the mist evaporated.

There was a collective sigh of relief from around the table as Hermione brushed her hair back. Harry knew she wasn't quite as calm as she wished to appear.

"Me next!" piped up Ron.

"Very well, Mr Weasley," said Slughorn, handing him a flask.

Ron uncorked the flask and the same fine mist enveloped him. It quickly evaporated.

"Ha!" said Ron looking around the table.

Slughorn absently placed a third flask before Harry as he said, "Well done, Mr Weasley."

The others were talking amongst themselves now as Harry picked up his flask.

"Well, that was a bit of an anticlimax," joked Slughorn. "Not that I'm not pleased, of course. Shall we have dinner before we show off our last trick?"

"Oh, let's eat, Horace," said Professor McGonagall and instantly plates of hot food appeared before them.

Harry twisted the cork before opening it and glanced up. Hermione and Bateman were the only ones watching as he released the mist into the air.

It was like a warm, welcoming cloud.

Harry felt a pleasant tingling sensation on his skin. Then he began to feel burning. His face was especially hot.

Instinctively, Harry wiped his face.

As his fingers moved across his wet skin, he felt something different. It was as if his skin wasn't his. Somehow the sensation wasn't the same.

Harry realised it must only be the effect of the mist.

He looked up, but couldn't see properly.

Next to him, Duke swore loudly and Harry became aware of both Duke and Careem scrambling to get away.

"What is it?" asked Harry in a high voice that wasn't his own.

Harry pulled his ill-fitting glasses off his face. He could see better now, but only saw the shocked faces around the table.

He looked down at his hands.

Except, they weren't his hands.

He moved his hands, watching in utter disbelief his unnaturally long, white fingers.

He looked up again to see Bateman withdrawing a sidearm.

"No!" screamed Hermione, lunging for Bateman but was tackled expertly by Hope.

"No, it's Harry. I promise you, it really is Harry!"

Bateman hesitated.

"Professors?" he asked.

Slughorn and McGonagall seemed lost for words, but Hagrid spoke up.

"If Hermione says it's 'Arry, we can't afford to do anythin' rash," he said firmly.

Bateman lowered his gun and nodded to Duke who was standing behind Harry.

Harry turned but was immediately hit hard on the back of his head. He fell heavily, hitting his head again on the table, and lost consciousness.

*

Harry made no attempt to move. His head was pounding and he suspected he would open his eyes to find himself bound at the very least.

He wondered vaguely, with no thought of revenge, which one of them had hit him.

Harry lay for a moment, trying to remember. He had the feeling that he had drifted in an out of dreams while he had been unconscious. He couldn't remember any details of the dreams, but he was aware that this was the first time in ages that he had dreamed at all.

That had disturbed him a little.

Given the trauma of Dumbledore's death, Harry had expected to have nothing but nightmares; especially as Dumbledore occupied so much of his waking thoughts.

In the beginning, he had been completely unable to sleep at all. When exhaustion finally claimed him, he had assumed that he had been just too tired to dream.

Just lately, though, he hadn't been so sure.

He was about to open his eyes when Harry became aware that someone was having a quiet conversation.

Harry strained to recognise who it was.

"Well, at least he's looking like himself again."

That was Ron, Harry realised.

"Yes, Professor Slughorn guessed the effect would wear off after a couple of hours. Thankfully he was right."

Harry recognised Hermione's voice.

They were quiet a moment and Harry assumed they were looking at him. It sounded like they were a few feet away from him. He was about to pretend to wake when they continued talking.

"I've never seen You-Know-Who before," said Ron seriously. "He certainly looks a piece of work, doesn't he?"

"Looks can be deceiving, Ron. But I agree, he did give me quite a shock too."

"Everyone got a shock, Hermione. I'd never have believed Slughorn could run so fast."

"Well, he was probably going for help."

"Yeah, right," Ron said sarcastically.

"I can't get the look on Bateman's face out of my mind," admitted Hermione. "I was so sure he was going to shoot him."

"He may yet."

"Not while we're here, he won't."

"Hermione, you are sure it's Harry, aren't you?"

"How many more times, Ron? Yes! I'm positive it is Harry."

"No one has known where You-Know-Who has been for the last year, have they?"

"I hardly think Voldemort would spend a year at Hogwarts impersonating Harry."

"No?"

"Ron, you're his best friend. I do think that even you might have been a little suspicious. Tom Riddle was brilliant academically. You can hardly say that of Harry."

"Well, he might have just pretended."

"Why would he save you from that poison then?"

"Actually, I thought that Harry thinking of using a beazor was a bit suspicious, actually."

"Well, yes," she admitted. "Mind you there were no Quidditch cups with Riddle's name on them."

"Well, I've been thinking about that. Harry got the ability to speak Parcel Tongue from You-Know-Who, right? What if You-Know-Who learned to play Quidditch from Harry."

Hermione snorted loudly and Harry could hear her trying to stifle her laughs.

"What?" asked Ron, sounding offended.

"Harry was only a year old when Voldemort attacked him. Do you really think that Harry's flying skills would have been much good at that age?"

"Well, he has a lot of natural talent."

Harry was struggling not to laugh as well at this point.

"Look," said Ron seriously, clearly trying not to lose the argument so badly. "How do you really know that it's Harry?"

Hermione sighed, composing herself again.

"It's like I said before. I have always been able to read Harry. I may not always know what is on his mind, but I know his moods. I know when he's happy, sad, or angry, and such like. Very occasionally, I get flashes of something more.

"The strongest was the time Professor Moody told us about the Unforgivable Curses. When he told everyone about how Harry was the only one known to have ever survived an Avada Kadavera curse, all I could see was anguish. He was so upset by that."

"Yeah, I remember. Have there been any other times?"

"Um, one or two," she replied evasively. "It's usually when he's feeling very emotional. He's calmed down a lot lately, so it's less easy to tell. Last year he was like a beacon of rage, especially after his Occlumency lessons with Snape."

"But you're still sure, even though he's acted differently this last year?"

"Well, yes. Unfortunately, I can't show you proof of what I can see."

"What do you see now?"

"Pain. Not physical pain. No, he's still feeling an emotional pain."

"Well, he did feel close to Dumbledore."

"Yes, but it's something more as well. While we were speaking earlier, I could see his anguish inside. It was as if I was causing him more pain, but on the outside he acted just as normal."

They were quiet for a few moments.

"Hermione?"

"Hm?"

"I've been thinking. We are doing the right thing, aren't we?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, You-Know-Who is getting stronger and stronger, isn't he? It won't be long before things get as bad as they were before. Maybe they are as bad, with Dumbledore gone."

Ron paused to take a deep breath.

"Lots of people are going into hiding until it's all over."

"When will it be over, Ron? If Voldemort wins it will never be over."

"All I'm saying is that the chances of You-Know-Who being defeated now are virtually zero. Dumbledore was our only chance."

"No, Ron. Harry is our only chance. Dumbledore kept Harry alive for as long as he could."

"Yes, but Dumbledore wasn't even killed by You-Know-Who himself. How can Harry possibly even survive to meet You-Know-Who, let alone win."

"I think that without help, Harry has no chance. I think Dumbledore knew he was risking his life every time he defied Voldemort. I don't know how afraid he was inside; he always gave the impression of being utterly unafraid to confront evil. I'm certainly afraid, but there is nothing that will stop me doing by level best to help Harry. I don't want to die, but to be honest I'm more afraid of the consequences of Voldemort winning."

"So, you do believe in the Prophecy?"

"No, I believe in Harry," she replied firmly. "So did Dumbledore."

"All I'm saying is that we should be sure."

"Well, I am. If you are having second thoughts, Ron, I suggest you say something before Harry confides anything more to you."

"What you saying?"

"Harry chose to confide in us, Ron. No one else; just us. It's obvious that today's tests were all about making sure we are ready to hear more. I suspect that there's quite a bit Harry hasn't told us yet."

"Like what?"

"Well, like what he's seen in Dumbledore's other memories and his ideas for what the other Horcruxes might be and where we should start looking. Anyway, that isn't my point. We already know enough information to seriously hurt Harry if it falls into the wrong hands."

"So, Harry might want to have our memories modified?"

"No. He knows memory charms can be broken."

Ron gulped audibly.

"Yes," agreed Hermione. "I'm sure that's why Bateman and his friends are really here. They wouldn't shy away from anything unpleasant like murder, I suspect."

"What do we do?"

"Ron, all I can say is trust Harry. If you really are having doubts, then tell Harry. He'll find a way. I'm sure he won't allow them to shoot you, but at the same time he wouldn't want you to stay because you were too afraid to leave."

They were quite for a while.

"You remember what I accused you and Harry of?" said Ron quietly.

"How could I forget?"

"Well, I'm not entirely sure I believe you."

"Me or Harry?"

"You both said more or less the same thing, actually."

"So, we're both lying?"

"No, I don't think you were lying. I was wrong about that."

"Yes, you were. So what don't you believe then?"

"Well, whilst I think you told the truth, I don't believe you've never had feelings for him."

"I don't believe I ever dignified your accusation with an answer one way or the other, actually."

"That's not very reassuring, Hermione."

"Tough. Either you'll believe me or you won't, but I hope you won't take your jealousy out on Harry. He's had enough to deal with lately without you adding to his problems. Incidentally, I seem to recall telling you the consequences of what you said to me. Perhaps I should have been a little plainer."

"I was kind of hoping we could just forget that. You know, pick up from before," Ron said hopefully.

"No, Ron, we are not just going to forget that. I'll forgive you, because despite everything I do care for you, Ron. But I won't forget, not until a much more mature Ron convinces me he's changed."

"Mature? Sounds like you're just pining for Harry. Hey, put that wand away!"

Harry heard footsteps approaching and they broke off their conversation.

"I'll stay with him for a while," said Professor McGonagall kindly. "Hagrid will be along in a few minutes to keep me company. I suggest you go and get something to eat. Sergeant Bateman has promised not to shoot Harry for now, but I will remain here just in case."

Harry tried to stir, but he realised he couldn't move his limbs.

Soon he was drifting back to sleep.