Unofficial Portkey Archive

Quiet Revelations by jms granger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Quiet Revelations

jms granger

Quiet Revelations

The Truth

A cold foggy gloom had descended over England for the entire summer, puzzling meteorologists all over the world, there was just no reason why it should be happening and in the end they decided to give up on finding out. When the journalists looked at the summer they all realized that a lot of puzzling things had been going on, from the weird fog, to almost constant sightings of owls, even during the middle of the day, not to mention the nastier aspects of the summer. Their had been a huge increase in the murder rates causing all to worry, all except the government, who kept on telling people that it was expected, that the country was at war with terrorism, and that unexpected murders were to be expected. If murders were to be expected, although no one seemed to agree with this pessimistic opinion, what was with all the accidents? Tornadoes and hurricanes were still tearing apart England, gas explosion were quickly becoming a weekly event, and since when can bridge as big as that simply disappear? Things weren't getting strange anymore, they already were, but the question on everyone's lips was just how weird could things get?

The Prime Minister was criticized heavily, although no one could think of anything he could have done differently (mainly due to the fact that they knew nothing of why this was happening) everyone seemed to believe that the Prime Minister knew more than he was letting on. The Prime Minister himself seemed more and more worried with the passing of the days, looking tired and being bullied by the journalists and the opposition, even his supporters had now started. The Prime Minister really hated his job nowadays; everyone seemed to hate him, even his closest friends had left his confidence and to all this his wife and young kid had tragically died when an `oven fire' had destroyed Downing Street. Everyday he swore revenge on that man, but knew that revenge would be impossible, especially when speaking of Him

`If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times' the Prime Minister sighed `there is nothing we can do, the right services are working on it'.

`But who are the right services?' A cabinet member said.

`I've spoken to C.I.D, the S.A.S the MET, even the F.B.I in America, and no one knows anything of this terrorist group' Another Barked.

`But I…u checked…with all of…. There are…trust me when I say this' The Prime Minister realized that this was going even worse than he originally thought, he had to convince them that all was going to be fine, easier said than done when you don't believe it yourself `I've spoken with the best, you wouldn't have heard of them let alone spoke to them, it's a need to know basis, and I need to know!' this was going well, he even started to believe it.

`So tell us some facts, WE need to know as well!' someone shouted.

`Ok, ill tell you the basics, obviously not all facts can be disclosed, but I know you'll walk away happier' The Prime Minister was feeling the strain, how much could he tell? `The people dealing with this are the Min… The M.O.M, they are specifically skilled in this area of terrorism, and the terrorists are self styled as the… Death…Eaters' He whispered, not enjoying the butterfly sensation in his stomach made even by saying their name out loud.

The room had gone quiet, he could tell that with their awkward looks at each other they were thinking just how much of his mind he had lost, he knew he had to press home these disclosures, or he may as well start looking for another job, maybe a chef he thought with a grin.

`So that's who the main players are, all but one, and trust me when I say to you that this one is worse than all the rest, a hundred fold over, his name is Lor…' He Didn't want to say that name out loud, he feared him way too much now, `He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named' He had ended rather strongly, and knew he had really captured the audience, maybe being a chef was wrong for him, an actor seemed much more fitting.

`Excellent' came a voice from the shadowy corner as all eyes strained to see who it was, `excellent Speech indeed, maybe you should be writing mine!' the Shadowy man exclaimed almost amused `but for the time being I will have to settle for my own speeches, and as fate has it I have one for you right now…'

The Prime Minister was worried, who was this man, surely not Fudge, definitely not the Other Minister, if he would only leave the Shadows. He had grown very accustomed to them appearing, some weeks it was a daily occurrence, after the death of Mr. Dumbledore all hell had broke loose. He realized quickly that all the others were now looking terrified, a small laugh had escaped his lips before he could stop himself as he remembered when this was new for him too. He walked to his seat, having just realized that he had stood up and left it for his speech, the stranger was right, it was a particularly good one. The Stranger seemed to be waiting for him to sit down, in a courteous, gentlemanly manner, which was very weird in his dealings with Fudge and Mr. Scrimgeour, who tended to treat him like a teenager at best. The Prime Minister, feeling like trying to see how far this respect could push him took a moment to do his tie up properly, still waiting, tucked his shirt in, still waiting, looked at the time (half past 11at night!)He even tied his shoe laces in an attempt to get some sort of reaction, but the stranger was still waiting. The prime minister found himself to be obsessed with who this man was, deciding on sitting down quickly to find out, unfortunately the rush meant that he had tripped slightly and fumbled nervously with the desk before sitting down. Damn, the Prime Minister thought, his clumsiness had always ruined moments for him, but this wasn't ruined, his obsession still carried on as he stared at the Stranger.

`Thank you, Mr. Prime Minister, and may I say that's a lovely tie and watch you have, I would have had to check them myself as well, but tying your shoes when there already tied, I'm not even that eccentric!' the stranger chuckled, The Prime Minister felt his cheeks flush, this evidently wasn't a man he could intimidate, `So to Business, The Prime Minister told you some things, although I am sure he would of told you everything as you do so deserve to know if I hadn't rudely interrupted, please accept my sincere apologies…' they could see the outline of the shadowy figure low in an obvious bow `so my speech will start with the truth…'

At the same time as the stranger was giving his speech to the cabinet, a boy of 16, soon to turn 17, was sitting expectantly in his favorite space, in the chair his best friend had made for him just by the window. He had grown a bit over the summer, and had filled out, with slightly broader shoulders than last year, his hair was still as untidy as ever, slightly longer nowadays as to help hide his scar. As he looked out of the window into the darkness that had encumbered number 4 Privet Drive he couldn't help but break into a small smile, in half an hours time he was going to turn 17 and with it he would come of age, be an adult and thus leave the misery that followed him wherever he went in this damn house. This house had always been like a prison for him, when he was a year old after the murders of his parents by the most evil and feared person of all time Lord Voldemort, he had been sent to live here with his aunt and uncle, the Dursley's. They were the worse type of muggles imaginable and actively went out of their way to make Harry's life miserable because of what they viewed in him as being `weird'. Harry was weird though, Harry was a Wizard and a `thumpin good un' as well, now he was trained up a bit.

This summer had been a lot better than the last couple, mainly due to the fact that now he had his two best friends with him, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley. Two years ago, he had almost died, Cedric a fellow pupil at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry had died and Voldemort had been able to recapture his body and came back to full power. Nightmares still haunted him of that night in the graveyard. Last year he had been lured into a trap, which meant that his Godfather Sirius Black had also been murdered, that night he had also just escaped Lord Voldemort again, thanks to his mentor Albus Dumbledore, the greatest Wizard of the age. Now Dumbledore was dead, murdered by Snape, a professor who had tricked Dumbledore into thinking he was a spy against Voldemort, in fact he ended up not as his spy but as his murderer. Harry had realized that people always died at the end of the year, well it'll probably be me this year he found himself thinking darkly.

Dumbledore's death had hit him hard, he couldn't deny that, but not as hard as the last couple summer's, he was older and wiser, and now he had to be in control, no more being protected. Ron had helped him a lot during the summer, he was overly happy a lot of the time, Harry suspected that this was as much for his needs than Harry's, and their trips around London with Ron's Hysterical questions about Muggles constantly lightening the mood. `wooo, I still cant get it into my head that they just sit there still all day!' Ron exclaimed for perhaps the thousandth time `I mean, don't they just get bored?' Ron had always found muggle photos that never moved to be the strangest thing in the world, Harry thought he must be feeling similar to when Harry first arrived at Hogwarts and the pictures constantly moved, it had taken him months to get used to them. However Ron did have a particularly annoying way of bringing Ginny, Harry's Girlfriend of the previous year and also Ron's little sister, in most of their conversations. Harry often remarked to himself how weird it was that he was worried of hurting Ron by getting together with Ginny, obviously he had loved the idea of Harry with his little sister, Ron could be rather unpredictable at times.

Hermione on the other hand had been perhaps the highlight of the summer in his mind thanks to the fact that she seemed to be back to her old self. Last year had been very trying for Harry as Hermione and Ron grew away from them. Harry accepted why with Ron, he had started dating Lavender, but Hermione had grown distant as well. Harry realized that Hermione liked Ron and his new romance must have been hard for her, but Hermione acting like a jealous little girl? Harry admitted, however bad it made him feel, that he just didn't like Hermione that much last year. Another problem was that last year she just didn't seem to be there for him, his theories on Snape and Malfoy were disregarded by her and he was left alone to his investigations. Anyway she seemed back to her normal self, consoling Harry after the death of Dumbledore, making plans for their operation, bickering with Ron, she even was thinking of trying to push S.P.E.W again, now she was out of school and sure to meet other likewise people. Also she didn't feel the need to relate the hunt for the pieces of Voldemort's soul contained in the Horcruxes to how Ginny found one of the Horcruxes in the second year and how it might be good for Harry to go see her, like Ron often did. Harry was happy to have both his friends back this year, last year had been rather lonely, and now all he had left were these two.

Harry looked up to the repaired alarm clock on the desk; the answer almost startled him, 3 minutes to 12, 5 minutes till he was 17. He wondered if this would be the last of his birthdays, he was destined to either be murdered by Voldemort or murder him, and although he knew he was a good Wizard, he really didn't rate his chances against the most powerful wizard in the world, which Voldemort was with the untimely death of Dumbledore. Harry wiped his forehead as sweat started to cover him, a cold sweat which he knew to agree with the likelihood of his murder.

Harry shook his head like he was trying to physically remove the thought from inside his head, before looking at the clock again, one minute till he was 17. This reminded him of a little shack far out to sea, in which Vernon Dursley had hid him, trying to stop Hogwarts from getting in touch with him. Fortunately for Harry, and the wizarding world, Hagrid had rescued him, telling Harry he was a Wizard.

30 seconds left, god he was looking forward to being able to hex Dudley, a lifetime of hate was ready for revenge. Ron had done his fair share, but Harry needed to get revenge for himself. Could he hear something out side the door?

15 seconds left and Harry could feel his heartbeat soaring, maybe he'd go see Ginny, one day couldn't mark her as a target could it? That creaking again, probably Dudley…

10 seconds remaining till he was 17, he couldn't see Ginny, which just wasn't fair to her, he couldn't be with her, not till after this…

5 seconds, what is Dudley doing out there, not exactly subtle whatever it is?

3 seconds, 2 seconds, 1 second, he was 17.

BANG, the door crashed open in obvious force, before Harry realized what was happening he was on his feet, his wand pointed at where he expected his enemies head to be, yelling `Impedimenta!'

`Stop' came a frightened squeal, as a red bolt flew over the persons head, slamming quietly into the door opposite. `It's me' came the voice again. Harry looked down a good foot down from where he expected to see Lord Voldemort's head and saw a girl scared almost to tears with big bushy brown hair and big watery brown eyed, in which he instantly recognized his best friend Hermione Granger to be standing.

`Oh…Shit, I'm so sorry' Harry half yelped running over to her and pulling her into what he hoped to be an `I'm sorry' hug. Obviously it worked as Hermione melted into his arms as he ran his hands over her to make sure she wasn't hurt anywhere. She slightly stiffened to this search but gave up the argument and allowed him to continue, and finally when Harry evidently found no sign of any injuries, he pulled away, realizing that Hermione still looked rather sheepish. Harry didn't find this surprising as her best friend had just tried to curse her to pieces.

`I'm so sorry Hermione…I thought it was Voldemort…I was sure…' Harry apologized, before tightening up a bit before saying, rather meaner than he planned to do `actually what the hell are you doing sneaking up on me, what did you think would happen!'

Hermione had obviously just regained her limitless control and simple waved his objection away, Harry knew that he could no longer frighten her like he could a few years back, time had cemented their friendship way past fear `isn't it obvious?' she said. Harry thought for a few moments unable to think of a single reason she could be in the room, she had an obvious glow to her rather happy and excited smile, what had he forgotten?

`What?' Harry stumbled.

`Don't be silly…'she said, glee still etched in her face `It's your birthday and I so wanted to be the first to say…'

`Happy Birthday, Harry' came Ron's interruption, obviously still only half woken by Harry's attack `and nice of you to wake us up Hermione'. Ron never saw the murderous look that she now gave Ron as his face was still buried in his pillow, something on the verge of Snape's look of loathing for Harry and Cho Chang's look of tears, yet again for Harry. `But if you don't mind, I think it's a good idea if we get back asleep and give Harry his present's tomorrow, don't you?' Ron said stifling many yawns. Hermione stood in between tears and pure undiluted anger again for another couple seconds before pushing past Harry and slapping Ron with as much force as she could muster, which as Harry remembered her punch on Malfoy in the third year, is an awful lot.

`YOU ABSOLUTE GIT!' Hermione yelled at Ron, who was lying down with both hands to his face trying to wipe the sting from it `I had just said I wanted to be the first to say it to Harry, you…fucking twat' hissed Hermione with a lower, much more dangerous voice. Both Harry and Ron stood stock still, amazed that Hermione, school prefect and enforcer of rules in their lives, had just sworn. Hermione just stood their glowering at Ron. Harry was the first to react.

`Hermione…' He said softly knowing she could easily go of at him next when in this sort of mood `thank you for…you know…but maybe this can wait…till the morning?' Harry ended hopefully and rather lamely.

Hermione looked at him, anger evident in her eyes which fortunately for Harry melted quickly away to embarrassment, `I'm sorry Harry…I cant believe I…I've ruined your birthday!' she said letting out a little sob as her eyes became watery `ok, I'm of to bed, ill give you the present tomorrow, I'm…Sorry' she yelped running from the room, leaving a bewildered Harry and Ron in the room.

`What the hell was that?' Ron said, now scratching at his face after finding rubbing hadn't worked as planned.

Half an hour later Harry laid in his bed, which had been magically stretched in order to fit him and Ron, done by Hermione naturally, thinking to himself. He couldn't believe Hermione had flipped like that, he had known her to before, but always at someone else not at Ron. Actually it did usually seem to be Ron he accepted, their love was still weird for Harry. He preferred how he had things with Ginny, lustful admitted, but comfortable as well, no need for the dramatics of his best friends. Maybe he would go and see Ginny tomorrow after all, what's one day in the grand scheme of things. He looked over at Ron about to ask him about Ginny and stopped, Damn he thought, can't ask him. He wished he was bunking now with Hermione under the stairs, which of course she had enlarged it and put silencing and protective charms on it, she'd be much more help. Although most people who had seen this birthday as a disaster it wasn't for Harry. It was perfect he thought to himself before he fell asleep with a soft grin on his face and thoughts of Hermione slapping Ron, absolute perfect.


-->