Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nanny Wanted by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nanny Wanted

MisCard


~A/N> Hi everyone! After some encouraging words from my friend poppywillow I decided to post this here. Truthfully, I'm a little nervous because I'm treading into some new waters with this story, like the presence of bad!Ginny (which I've never written before) and the chapters will not be very long. I am still working on all my other stories, I work on them every day believe it or not, so I will be posting the last chapter of "Dreams Will Come True" soon. I am also doing a podcast now that's on iTunes called "harmony podcast" and deals with the H/Hr ship. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it :)

Hermione Granger looked at the piece of paper in her hand again and looked at the spacious manse that loomed before her. "Wanted: a live-in nanny to care for my two children. Well known family looking for someone who knows how to be discreet. Please call for interview 05496 876203 and ask for Harry," she read aloud to herself, "Very well known if the security gates and guards are any indication."

She walked up to the big man standing in the guard house to the right of the gates and said, "Hello, my name is Hermione Granger and I have a one o'clock interview with Harry."

She watched as the man looked over a list that was attached to a clipboard and said, "Right then, go on in." He opened a door that was behind him in the guard house and motioned for her to walk through.

As she walked up the driveway to the front door she took a deep breath and quietly muttered, "Okay Hermione, you can do this...you need this job." Taking one last relaxing breath, Hermione rang the doorbell next to the huge door and waited for someone to answer.

About two seconds later a woman dressed in a formal skirt and dress shirt answered the door and asked, "Hello, may I help you?"

"Hi, my name is Hermione Granger and I'm here to interview for the Nanny position," she answered with a friendly smile.

"Please come in," the woman said, gesturing toward the giant entryway. Hermione followed her inside and into a beautifully decorated sitting room. The furniture was obviously expensive and the couch and chair were lush and looked very comfortable. Hermione sat in the chair and the woman asked, "Would you like some tea Miss Granger?"

"Yes, please," Hermione answered politely and smiled back at the friendly smile the woman gave her. When the woman brought back her tea she said, "Thank you Miss...?"

"Miss Bradley," the woman answered, "I'm the resident maidservant. Someone will be with you shortly."

Hermione smiled and nodded in acknowledgement and then watched as Miss Bradley walked out of the room. She looked around at the paintings that adorned the walls and the bookcase full of books. Unable to tamp down her curiosity and love of books, she made her way over to it and read over all the titles, noting that there were many there that she hadn't yet read.

"Who are you?" came a small voice behind her, startling her.

When she turned around she saw a small girl with blond hair and bright green eyes staring at her curiously. "My name is Hermione," she replied with a smile, "What's yours?"

"I'm Lily," the little girl answered, "Why are you here Her-Herm..."

"Hermione," she repeated, tickled that the little girl was trying so hard to say her name. She couldn't have been more than three and her speech seemed to be advanced for her age. "I'm here because I heard that a Nanny was needed."

"Oh," Lily said, "You mean you're a nanny? You look really young."

"I'm twenty-five," Hermione answered, liking the girl immediately, "I guess I am still young, aren't I? How old are you?"

"I'm four," Lily replied, surprising Hermione. This girl looked very small and frail for a four year old.

Before she could ask Lily anymore questions, a woman with bright red hair walked into the room and asked, "Miss Granger, I presume?"

"Yes," Hermione answered, trying not to laugh when Lily rolled her eyes as she saw the woman.

"I'm Ginny Weasley," the woman answered, "The lady of the house, or soon-to-be lady of the house I should say." Hermione inwardly cringed at the falsely sweet smile Ginny was giving her and really disliked her when she turned to Lily and not-so-nicely said, "Aren't you supposed to be playing upstairs in your room?"

"Yes, but I got hungry," Lily answered defiantly.

"LISA!" Ginny shouted loudly, causing Hermione to jump in surprise.

Miss Bradley came hustling into the room and asked, "Yes Miss Weasley?"

"Please take Lily into the kitchen and feed her something," Ginny ordered with a dismissive wave of her hand and an annoyed look on her face.

Hermione watched as Miss Bradley held her hand out to Lily and the little girl took it immediately. Before leaving the room Lily turned and said, "Bye-bye Hermy."

"Bye," Hermione replied, liking the girl immensely and silently laughing at the child's inability to say her name.

"Please have a seat," Ginny said, not really asking but demanding, "My fiance will be in shortly to start the interview."

Hermione sat in the chair once again, disliking Miss Weasley for her high-handed treatment of Miss Bradley and especially the way she had treated Lily. It was obvious that Miss Weasley thought of the child as a nuisance and not worth her time.

"Miss Granger?" a deep male voice asked, startling Hermione from her thoughts. When she looked up she gasped and asked, "Harry P-Potter?"

Harry laughed good naturedly at the shocked look on her face and replied, "That would be me."

"I'm sorry Sir, that was very unprofessional of me," Hermione said, mortified by her reaction.

"Don't worry about it Miss Granger, you're not the first person to react that way," Harry said, giving her a friendly smile. "Do you have your references?"

"Oh, right here Sir," Hermione replied, handing him two pieces of paper. She watched nervously as he read over them and tried to hide the fact that she wanted to work for him badly. She had taken immediately to Lily, and the child seemed to like her to, and the fact that Harry Potter would be her employer was a major bonus.

"Your resume is impeccable," Harry said, "You've worked for two very prominent families before, so I don't think that I would have to worry about discretion on your part."

"No Sir," Hermione answered, "If you hire me I will only have the best interest of your children in mind."

"Please call me Harry, you make me feel very old by calling me Sir," he said, causing her to smile. "Now, when would you be able to start?"

"I could start in two days," she answered, "I would just need time to get a few things in order first."

"Okay then, Miss Granger, I'll be making my decision tonight and if you are chosen for the job I will contact you tomorrow," Harry said, standing up from the chair.

Hermione stood up also and followed him into the entryway. As she shook his hand, Miss Bradley walked up and asked, "May I call you a cab Miss Granger?"

"Yes please," Hermione replied. With a final farewell to Harry she made her way for the door.

Lily had walked out of the kitchen and seeing that Hermione was leaving, she ran up to Harry and tugged on the bottom of his shirt. "Daddy," she said in a loud whisper, "Daddy, I want her to be my nanny. She's nice and I like her."

"And how do you know she's nice Lily?" Harry asked, picking her up.

"Cause I spokeded to her and she didn't talk to me like I was a little baby," Lily answered as she gave him her best puppy dog look, "And I like that her name is Hermy."

"Hermy 'eh?" Harry said, laughing at his daughters interpretation of Hermione's name. "So you want her to be your Nanny, do you?"

"Yes Daddy," Lily answered, "Please?"

"Miss Granger," Harry called, stopping Hermione just as she was walking out the front door.

"Yes, Mr. Potter?" she asked, turning to look at him and noticing that he was holding Lily.

"Would you be able to start the day after tomorrow?" he asked.

Stunned, Hermione walked up to him and said, "Sure, I could start the day after tomorrow."

"Okay then, you'll have your own room upstairs, near the kids rooms. You'll be required to make sure they're up in time and ready for school, you'll be in charge of them from the time they come home from school until their bed time. You will have one day off a week, Sunday, and you will be paid every Friday." He smiled at her and asked, "Do you have any questions?"

"Not at the moment," Hermione replied, still unable to believe that she had gotten the job.

"We will see you in two days then," Harry said.

"Thank you," Hermione said, "I will see you in two days."

"Bye Hermy," Lily called as Hermione walked out the door.

"Bye Lily," Hermione replied, turning back to wave at her. Making her way down the driveway, Hermione couldn't hold back her excitement anymore and a huge smile broke out on her face as she quietly said, "I can't believe I'm going to be working for Harry Potter!"