Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nanny Wanted by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nanny Wanted

MisCard


~A/N> Thank you so much for all the great reviews! I know I haven't revealed much about Hermione, but as I told a few reviewers, I'd like for everyone to learn about her as Harry does. As the story progresses, there'll be more revealed each chapter, and soon you'll know all about her. I have one more chapter written after this that I will be posting tomorrow, I need to edit it a bit, format it and convert it, and then I'm not sure when I'll update again. Hopefully it won't be too long between updates. And if you're reading my other story, "Dreams Can Come True", I plan on posting the last chapter on Friday :) If you're waiting to hear the second harmony podcast, I'm hoping to finish recording it tonight, so it will hopefully be up tomorrow or Friday.


Two days after the interview, Hermione sat in a taxi outside the sprawling Potter estate. She had recieved an owl the night before stating that flooing and apparating were not allowed anywhere near the estate, which was fine by her since she had given up both years ago. She still couldn't believe that she was going to be Nanny to Harry Potter's children...let alone living in his house.

"Would you like some help with your bags?" the driver asked, interrupting her thoughts.

"Yes, thank you," she replied as she paid him and then opened the door to climb out.

After the driver got out of the taxi, he walked back to the boot and lifted the lid, taking four bags out that had been stuffed inside. She thanked him again and then made her way to the now-familiar guard house. Walking up to the same guard that had been there two days before she said, "Hello again. Mr. Potter is expecting me."

"So you're the new Nanny 'eh?" the guard asked, looking much more friendly than he had the previous time, "My name's Cole Jamison. I've worked for Mr. Potter for seven years now."

"Hermione Granger," she replied, shaking his outstretched hand. "So you must know Mr. Potter and his family well then."

"I was in Mr. Potter's class at Hogwarts," he said, "I fought with him in the Second War and when the dust settled and we finished school he offered me this job. There was no way I could pass it up." Cole was quiet for a moment, looking at her as if he were sizing her up, and said, "I don't remember you being at Hogwarts though..."

"I-uh...I attended Beauxbatons," she replied hesitantly, and quickly changing subjects added, "I just can't believe I'm going to be working for Harry Potter."

"He's a great boss," Cole said, noting the sudden topic change but deciding to leave it alone for now, "But you need to watch out for Miss Weasley. If she feels threatened by you at all she'll push Mr. Potter to sack you. That's what happened to the last Nanny...she got a little too 'friendly' with Mr. Potter."

"Thanks for the warning," Hermione said, liking Cole immediately, "But I'm more worried about Lily liking me."

"Lily's a great kid," he said, "But I'm not sure you'll be able to win James over so easily."

"James?" Hermione asked, "Right, Mr. Potter's other child. I didn't meet him or see him the other day."

"He pretty much keeps to himself," Cole said, "Ever since Mr. Potter started dating Miss Weasley, he's given everyone the silent treatment."

"That's so sad," she said, "Hopefully I can do something to help him."

"Good luck. Mr. Potter has had one expert after another here to help him and none of them have succeeded so far," Cole explained.

"If James is taking it so hard, why doesn't Mr. Potter stop seeing Miss Weasley?" Hermione asked, knowing she was overstepping her bounds, but letting her curiosity win out in the end.

"Because he's got all the Weasley's pressuring him to marry her," Cole replied, shaking his head. "I almost feel sorry for him, I don't think he was completely over Miss Lovegood, his first wife, when Mrs. Weasley started pushing Ginny at him."

"What have I gotten myself into?" Hermione asked, more to herself than to Cole.

"You'll soon find out for yourself," he answered, "Good luck, and if you need anything my room is two doors down from yours. Harry likes to keep his employees close."

"Okay, thanks for the warning and I'm sure I'll see you again soon," Hermione replied with a smile. As she picked up two of her bags, Cole picked up the other two and walked next to her down the driveway. Hermione was quiet the entire way, thinking over everything Cole had just told her about her new employer...she was beginning to think that this job may not be as wonderful as she first thought.

~*~

"Mr. Potter?" Lisa Bradley asked, knocking lightly on the study door and then walking in when he called out, "Come in."

She found him sitting at his desk with a picture of Luna in his hands. She knew he came in here often to do just this since Miss Weasley wasn't allowed into his study. She remembered the day that Miss Weasley had insisted he take down all the pictures of the late Mrs. Potter...she had been so angry on Harry's behalf that day and had become even more angry when Harry had actually taken them down. James had looked heartbroken that day, and he had hardly spoken to any of them since. All he had left were a few hidden pictures in here and the kids rooms, which of course Ginny Weasley knew nothing about.

"What is it Lisa?" Harry asked, bringing her out of her thoughts.

"I just wanted to let you know that Miss Granger has arrived," she replied, concerned by the look of sadness that was on his face.

"Will you please show her to her room so that she can put her bags in there and then bring her here?" Harry asked, "I need to speak with her."

"Yes Mr. Potter," Lisa replied.

As she turned to leave the study Harry said, "How many times have I asked you not to call me Mr. Potter, Lisa?"

"I don't know Sir," Lisa replied as she turned back to face him, causing him to give her a dark look for her use of the word 'Sir', "I would call you by your first name, as you requested, if it weren't for the fact that Miss Weasley berates me for it when I do it in her presence."

"Right," Harry said, his voice dropping in volume, "I forgot about that. I don't suppose you would call me by my first name when she's not around, would you?"

"I'll try Si...Harry," Lisa replied with a smile. Harry could be one of the nicest guys sometimes, it made her wonder what the hell he was doing with Ginny Weasley...unfortunately Lisa didn't feel comfortable bringing up the subject of Miss Weasley in that capacity. "I'll be right back with Miss Granger."

"Alright," Harry said, and then went back to looking at Luna's picture thinking, 'Why did you have to leave us so soon?'


As soon as Hermione had set her luggage in her room, Lisa told her that Mr. Potter wished to speak to her right away. "Oh, okay," Hermione said, feeling slightly nervous at the impending meeting.

Quickly checking her hair in the mirror that was over the dresser, Hermione walked out into the corridor where Lisa was waiting for her. She followed her down the long hall, passing by many doors, and she could hear Lily laughing behind one of them. When the door suddenly opened Lily saw her, lunged for her and said excitedly, "Hermy!"

Smiling at Lily's excitement, she reached down and picked her up, balancing her on her hip. "Hello Lily," she said, "How have you been?"

"Bored," the little girl answered, "No one will play with me."

"Well, I have to talk to your Dad for a little while but as soon as I'm finished I'll come play with you, okay?" Hermione asked.

"Oh," Lily said, sounding a little defeated. Hermione had a bad feeling when the little girls eyes suddenly lit up and then she asked, "How about if I go to see my Daddy with you?"

"I don't think that's a good idea Lily," Lisa said, giving the girl a somewhat stern look.

"But you're not the one talking to Daddy, Hermy is," Lily replied stubbornly, and then turning toward Hermione she laid her head on her shoulder and giving her puppy dog eyes asked, "Can I Hermy? Can I go with you? Please?"

Hermione looked from Lisa to Lily and said, "Why don't we ask your Dad if it's okay and if he says yes then you can stay during our talk, okay?"

"Okay," Lily said, her eyes lighting up once again.

The three of them continued on toward Harry's study and when Lisa knocked on the door his masculine voice called out, "Come in."

~*~

When he heard the door opening he looked up, expecting to see Hermione, but was surprised to see her holding Lily in her arms. When Lily smiled at him and waved he asked, "Lily, what are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry Mr. Potter," Hermione answered, "She came out of her room and asked me to play. When I told her I was coming here she asked to come too. I told her she could only stay if you said it was okay."

"Can I stay Daddy?" Lily asked expectantly, giving her Father the same puppy eyes she had just given Hermione.

Harry looked from his daughter to Hermione and couldn't believe how Lily had taken to the woman so quickly. She had hated the last nanny so much that she would bite her any chance she could and never listened to her. But she let Hermione pick her up and seemed to be listening to her already. He continued to look at Hermione, trying to figure out what it was about her that had won his daughters favor so quickly, and replied, "I guess you can stay. But you have to promise to be quiet so I can talk to Miss Granger, okay?"

"Okay," Lily agreed, giving Hermione a huge smile.

With a smile on her face also, Hermione sat in one of the chairs in front of Harry's desk and rearranged Lily so that they were both sitting comfortably. When both were settled she looked at Harry and waited for him to speak. He watched her for a minute, making her a bit uncomfortable, and then said, "It seems that you and Lily get on well already."

"She's a very sweet girl," Hermione replied, looking down at Lily with a heart-felt smile on her face.

"Yes she is," Harry agreed, giving Lily a loving smile of his own. "I also have a six year old son, his name is James and his room is across the hall from Lily's. He goes to school every morning at eight and Cole usually drives him. Do you drive?"

"Yes," Hermione replied, "But I don't own a car."

"That's fine, on the morning's that Cole can't do it you can take him in one of my cars," he said. "Both James and Lily go to bed at eight p.m. sharp, and James is to be awakened at seven on school days. You will be responsible for waking Lily also, at eight every morning, and you will need to dress her for the day and fix her hair. Lisa will make their breakfast and after James is off to school and Lily has eaten you are to make sure that Lily is kept occupied and out of trouble. James arrives home from school between three and three-thirty, so you will need to watch him also from that time until bedtime. Your pay will be five hundred pounds a week, I will pay you every Friday, and you will have every Sunday off. If something comes up where I need you on a Sunday, we will discuss it well beforehand and make other arrangements for your day off. Any questions?"

"Not right now," Hermione answered, "I'm sure I'll have one or two later, but Lisa can probably answer them for me."

"If she can't just come to me and I'll answer them," Harry said. "Don't be afraid to come to me with any problems that you have with either Lily or James. If they're bad tell me and I will discipline them accordingly."

"Okay," Hermione replied.

"Oh, and please try to keep them away from Gi-Miss Weasley," he said, without any further explanation, and they both noticed the sour face Lily made at the mention of the other woman. When Hermione didn't ask any questions he said, "That's about all for now, if I think of anything else I'll let you know."

Nodding her head in understanding, Hermione said, "Thank you again Mr. Potter, I won't disappoint you," and made her way out of the study with Lily still in her arms, making her way to the girl's room to play with her.

Harry watched her closely as she left the room with her head bent close to Lily's, talking in low tones to the girl, and he tried not to think about how lovely Hermione was or how good she was with Lily. Realization dawned on the direction his thoughts were taking him and he quashed them immediately. What bothered him the most was that, even though he barely knew her, there was just something about her that reminded him of Luna. Whatever the reason was, he had a feeling that Miss Granger was going to get on the wrong side of Ginny, and that it wouldn't take long to happen. It didn't matter though, this time Harry would overrule the obstinate redhead...Hermione would stay on as Lily and James' Nanny, no matter what Ginny said or how much she argued with him.