Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nanny Wanted by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nanny Wanted

MisCard


~A/N> I know this update took a little longer than the others, but it is almost a thousand words longer so hopefully that makes up for it. I'm not sure when the next update will be, I have to have injections in my lower back tomorrow and then Thursday is Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to work on the next chapter on Friday, I'll just have to see how I'm feeling. If you feel a bit frustrated with me at the end, keep in mind that a lot of big things will be happening in the next chapter or two, including an appearance by Mrs. Weasley soon :) I hope you enjoy the chapter, and an early Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the States! Oh, and the third harmony podcast is out now, you can find it here if you'd like to listen to it: http://miscard.libsyn.com/

As Hermione and Lily stepped off of the last stair onto the hardwood floor of the converted dining room, she noticed many of the older women staring at her and leaning together, obviously openly gossiping about her. Trying to tamp down her nervousness, she walked forward into the crowd as it parted, making her way to the makeshift stage where the band Harry had hired for the night was set up. Stopping in front of it, she waited for Harry and James to pass by her and make their way up the stairs of the stage. Following them, Hermione held her hand out to James and the three of them stood off to the side behind Harry as he took center stage and cast a sonorous charm.

"Hello, and welcome to my annual Halloween Ball," Harry said graciously and then paused as everyone applauded politely. When the noise died down he continued, "I hope that you will all have an enjoyable evening, and now the musical styling's of The Hippogriffs!"

The band struck up behind him and as he, Hermione, Lily, and James moved off the stage and the lead singer took his place. As he sang one of the top songs on the wizard charts, Harry walked up to Lily, gave an exaggerated bow and asked, "Fancy a dance with your clumsy old Father?"

Lily giggled and replied, "You're not old Daddy, and I love to dance with you." She squealed as Harry scooped her up in his arms and proceeded to spin her around in circles, surrounded by all of his guests who smiled adoringly at their obvious happiness.

Hermione watched them with a huge smile on her face, loving how carefree Harry seemed, when she felt a tug on her hand. She looked down and saw James standing there looking at her questioningly and then looking out at the dance floor. "Would you like to dance James?" she asked, amazed at what he was silently requesting. He nodded his head slowly, took a deep breath and while looking at her said, "Yes."

Hermione gasped when he spoke and felt tears welling up in her eyes. Thinking that it would be best not to make a big deal out of it, she said, "I would be honored."

The two of them walked out onto the floor, blending in with the many other couples that were dancing, and Hermione couldn't help thinking how grown-up James acted as he lightly placed his hand on her waist and took hold of her other hand. He barely stood higher than her waist, so he was actually reaching up as he assumed the traditional dancing position and he looked so serious that Hermione's heart melted. As they slowly started to sway back and forth, she smiled down at him and asked, "Did your Mum teach you how to dance?"

James nodded in reply and smiled back. His cheeks took on a pinkish tinge as she said, "Well you are a very good dancer."

When Harry looked around, he noticed his son dancing with Hermione and stopped. Lily, curious as to why he had stopped, looked where he was looking and said, "James is dancing with Hermy...he's never danced with anyone but..."

"Your Mother," Harry finished, his surprise evident in his voice. He continued to watch, pride and love overwhelming him as he watched how stoically James held himself and how serious he was as he and Hermione moved slowly, side to side. Smiling, Harry said, "We'd better not keep watching or else he might get embarrassed."

As the song finished, Lily walked over to James and Hermione, leaving Harry alone to talk to his guests. Hermione continued to mingle, making sure to keep the children by her side the entire time so that they didn't bother Harry, and talked to many witches and wizards she had never met before in her life. A lot of them came up to say hello to Lily and James, and soon the grandfather clock struck eight and it was time for them to go to bed. After saying goodnight to Harry, the kids made their way to their rooms to change. Just as Hermione stepped up on the staircase, Harry walked up behind her, grabbing her arm gently to stop her, and asked, "May I have the first dance when you come back down?"

"Yes you may," she answered quietly, affected yet again by the intensity of his eyes. When his attention was drawn away from her by an older witch that had asked if she could have a word, Hermoine made her way up the stairs. She could feel him watching her and she had to stop herself from turning back to look at him as she felt a flutter of anticipation in her stomach.

Making her way to James room first, she knocked and then opened the door to find him already in his pajamas and under the covers. Walking up to the bed, Hermione leaned over to pull the covers up to his shoulders and said, "Goodnight James, and thank you for the dance, you're a wonderful dancer."

Hermione watched as his smile spread from ear to ear and he looked embarrassed again. Leaning down, she placed a light kiss on his forehead and once again wished him goodnight before walking out and closing the door behind her. Next she made her way across the hall to Lily's room, knocked lightly and then walked in after hearing Lily telling her to come in. Hermione found her holding one of her stuffed animals, twirling around the room as she hummed one of the songs the band had played. Finally coaxing her into bed, Hermione said goodnight to her and kissed her on the forehead before closing the door to her room also.

Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves and tamp down the anticipation that she felt, Hermione walked down the staircase once more and found Harry waiting for her at the bottom, his eyes on her the entire way down. When he silently held out a hand to her, she took it while bowing her head to look at the floor, flattered at the attention he was giving her.

Harry led her onto the dance floor just as the band started to play a slow song and Harry had to fight not to smile. He had secretly hoped that he would get to hold Hermione close as they danced and a slow song gave him a perfect excuse to do so. Wrapping his right arm around her waist, he took her left hand in his and started to move slowly. He didn't know why, but for some reason that night he just couldn't keep his eyes off of her. Maybe it was the blue of the dress she wore that made her eyes sparkle the way they were, or the way her hair cascaded over her shoulders and down her back that made her look more soft and feminine. Whatever it was, Harry could feel himself becoming even more attracted to her and he found that he didn't really want to fight it. Without realizing it, he pulled her closer to him, making it so that there wasn't any space between them at all and when he looked down at her he found her staring back with a surprised look on her face.

"I'm not making you uncomfortable, am I?" he asked quietly, bending his head closer to hers.

"N-No," she stuttered, clearly affected by his forwardness, "Not at all."

They continued to dance closely for two more songs and when a faster song came on they both agreed they could use something to drink and headed toward the bar that had been set up against one of the walls. "One firewhiskey and..." Harry turned from the bartender to look at Hermione and asked, "What would you like to drink?"

"Sherry, please," Hermione replied, surprising him.

After handing Hermione her drink Harry said, "I'm not sure why, but I'm surprised that you drink sherry."

"My Mum turned me on to it," she answered, "She started drinking it after her Mum had her try it...I guess it's just something the women of my family enjoy."

After that, Hermione stood by his side, sipping her drink as he spoke to the many guests that approached him wanting a word. She watched as he smiled politely and admired how gracious he was to each of them. While lost in thoughts of how handsome he looked while staring at his lips and thinking how they had felt on hers when he kissed her, he turned toward her and caught her staring. She felt her cheeks warm instantly and cursed herself as he smiled knowingly at her. Blaming her traitorous thoughts on the sherry, she turned to watch the couples on the dance floor and found herself face-to-face with Cole...who looked absolutely dashing.

"Hello Hermione," he greeted, "May I just say that you look absolutely stunning tonight?"

"Thank you Cole," she replied, glancing uneasily at Harry when she felt his stare.

"Would you like to dance?" Cole asked as the band struck up a traditional waltz.

"Um, sure," Hermione replied. Placing her glass on the bar, she took Cole's proffered hand and let him lead her onto the dance floor. As he led the dance, Hermione could almost feel Harry's eye's boring into her back and knew that she dare not turn around. When she looked up at Cole's face she noticed him looking in Harry's direction with a smug sort of look on his face and felt herself grow aggravated. She didn't know what little game they were playing, but she was starting to feel like some prize they were both competing for. Startled by that thought, she realized that Harry and Cole had been acting that way for the past couple of weeks, she just hadn't paid much attention to it before.

"So who's winning?" she asked, causing Cole to look down at her with a confused look on his face.

"I'm sorry?" he asked, perplexed.

"I asked you who was winning, you know, this little pissing contest that you and Harry seem to have going between the two of you," she replied, looking annoyed. "I've thought that there was something amiss with the way you two were behaving, how suddenly you both needed me for one thing or another, coming up with excuses so that I would help you with things I normally wouldn't. What, am I some prize that you're trying to win?"

"Look, Hermione, it's not what you're thinking," Cole said, giving her what he probably thought was a charming smile. "I've had my eye on you since the first day you interviewed, you are a very beautiful woman, and I don't think my interest has gone unnoticed." Hermione looked away, a little embarrassed by his straight-forward explanation, but then looked him in the eye again as he said, "And I'm sure you haven't missed Harry's obvious interest in you either. We've always had great taste in women, and have been attracted to the same birds through the years. It's not on purpose, but it usually turns into an unmentioned, friendly competition between us. It's nothing personal, and we don't think of you as a prize...it's just a man thing, and you happen to be a bonus."

Acting without thinking, Hermione felt her hand connect with Cole's cheek as a red haze clouded her vision. "I am NOT some prize to be won!" she said harshly, trying to keep her voice down. Turning quickly on her heel, she hastily made her way off the dance floor, away from all the happily dancing couples, only to be stopped by a hand on her shoulder.

"Hermione, what's wrong? Has Cole done something to upset you?" Harry asked, his voice full of concern.

Hermione turned to face him, her face portraying her hurt and anger as she glared at him and said, "As if you don't know? Cole was just telling me about your 'friendly competition'!"

"Our what?" Harry asked, clearly confused. He turned as someone walked up behind him and saw Cole standing there looking quite mad as he stared Hermione down. "Enough of this. Cole, go outside and make sure that David is doing okay out there by himself. Hermione, go wait in my office, I'll be in there in a moment to speak with you."

Taking a deep breath and silently swearing to himself as he noticed the stares they had attracted, Harry excused himself to those around him and made his way to his office to see what the hell had just transpired between Hermione and Cole.

~*~

When he walked into the office, Harry found Hermione pacing back and forth in front of his desk, mumbling incoherently to herself. Fighting not to smile as he thought how cute she was when she was angry, Harry walked toward her and said, "Care to explain why you slapped Cole out on the dance floor?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe it was because he told me about your little competition to see who could win my attention?!" she replied, glaring at him angrily.

"Our 'competition'?" Harry repeated again, still unclear as to what she was referring to. When she continued to stare at him, he said, "Honestly, Hermione, I have no idea what you are talking about. Cole and I are in no competition over you. That would be disrespectful and it's something I don't believe in. If Cole feels there is a reason to compete with me, then I have no knowledge of it and I apologize for his behavior."

The hard look in her eyes softened a bit but there was still some distrust as she studied him quietly, trying to gauge his sincerity. "Why would he tell me that then?" she asked.

Harry walked up to her, stopping mere inches away, and replied, "Because he has always felt the need to make everything a competition between us. It was that way all through Hogwarts, and he still continues to do it now. If you like, I can speak with him and set him straight on the matter?"

"No, that's okay, but thank you for offering," she replied politely, "At least now I know what his intentions are." Thrown a little by his outright honesty and a little unnerved by his nearness, she could smell the cologne that he was wearing, and that combined with the only light in the room coming from the fireplace started to overwhelm her senses.

Harry stood there watching the many emotions that were flashing in her eyes and took in the way her skin glowed in the firelight. Trying to reign in his desire for her that seemed to be fueled even more by the alcohol he had consumed, he closed the distance between them and asked quietly, "What about my intentions? Were they clear after I kissed you?"

Hermione's eyes grew wide as his question washed over her and sparked a fire in her blood. She stared into his eyes and saw that they were darker than their usual brilliant green. The twinkle that she sometimes saw in them was gone as well and as he continued to stare at her with his desire filled gaze she felt her knees buckle a bit, so she leaned back against the desk.

Feeling emboldened by her reaction to him, Harry reached out and slipped his hands around her waist, drawing her to him so that there wasn't any space left between them. The feel of her body pressed along his was nearly his undoing, and he tightened his arms around her. When she didn't attempt to push him away or slap him for his forwardness, he decided to push his luck and bending his head down, captured her lips with his in a heated kiss. This wasn't like the simple kiss they had shared before...Harry had immediately slipped his tongue into her mouth, letting her know that this was no friendly kiss, and deepened it when he heard her moan.

Hermione was lost in a sea of longing. When he had wrapped his arms around her she had felt like just melting into him and letting go of all her inhibitions. Now as he kissed her without reservation, she brought her hands up and tangled them into his hair, loving the feel of the silky black strands as they slid through her fingers. Feeling his tongue tangling with hers, Hermione pressed her body closer to his, acting upon some instinct that told her that she needed to be closer somehow, and her breath caught as she felt his hands moving from her waist up to her shoulders and back down. Trailing his hands around her sides to her stomach, he slowly brought them up until they rested on her covered breasts, causing a hitch in her breathing at the feel of them there.

Harry broke the kiss and before she could utter a protest, he started to kiss his way along her jaw, down her neck, and then across her collarbone. Tangling her hands in his hair again, she closed her eyes as the feel of his lips on her bare skin caused a fire to erupt low in her belly. She could feel him moving the bodice of her dress and before she could think about what he could be doing she felt him take one of her nipples into his mouth and she gasped. "Oh God..." she whispered and then moaned as he sucked harder. When he moved to lavish the other one with equal attention her knees did buckle and she found herself sitting on top of his desk.

As he kissed his way back up her neck and claimed her lips again, she realized that he had positioned himself between her legs. With her skirt pushed up so that it draped around his legs, she wrapped her legs around him and couldn't help but smile against his lips as he groaned. She couldn't believe how turned on she was at that moment, and the fact that she could affect Harry this way made her feel powerful. He was not Harry Potter, her boss at that moment...he was Harry Potter, a normal hot-blooded male that seemed to want her as much as she wanted him.

That last thought slammed into her hard and her eyes popped open, wide with disbelief at what she was doing. She couldn't do this, he was her boss for Merlin's sake, and she wasn't willing to put her job in jeopardy for something she was unsure about. Breaking the kiss and breathing hard, she looked him in the eyes and said, "Harry, I don't think we should be doing this."

He stood there quietly for a moment, staring at her with passion-glazed eyes, and she watched as they cleared and became more focused on her. Leaning his forehead against hers lightly, he took a few deep breaths and said, "I'm not going to say I'm sorry that this happened, Hermione. I want to be with you, I'm tired of denying it, and I think it's safe to say you want me too."

There it was again, that brutal honesty that blew her away and attracted her even more. Damn him! Why did he have to make it so complicated? Of course she wanted him too, but did she really want to risk losing her job for some physical pleasure, or whatever this was between them? Lily and James meant the world to her and she didn't want to do something that could cause her to have to leave them, especially now when it seemed that James was starting to open up a bit.

Harry watched as the myriad of emotions played out across her face and knew she was silently arguing with herself. Deciding to spare her the internal unease she looked to be feeling, he kissed her once more and said, "I should be getting back to the guests, why don't you and I talk about this more later?"

"Okay," Hermione replied quietly as she fixed her dress, thankful that he'd given her a way out of her ordeal, if only for a little while. She would have some time to think things over now, and would hopefully be able to come up with an answer soon. She smiled as Harry took her hand in his and led her to the door. Turning toward him, she noticed that, thanks to her, his hair was messier than usual and she reached up to try to fix it.

"Thank you," Harry said with an appreciative smile. Opening the door, he motioned for her to walk out first and then followed her out, closing the door behind him. He watched as she walked amongst the guests, saying a polite greeting to a few here and there, and knew that they would be having their talk a lot sooner than she expected.