Unofficial Portkey Archive

Nanny Wanted by MisCard
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Nanny Wanted

MisCard


~A/N> Finally, it's done! The final chapter of Nanny Wanted is complete, and it is longer than any chapter I've written before. I'm sorry it's taken so long to finish, but I hope the length and content of it make up for the time you had to wait to read it. Enjoy, and I'm off to work on my other two stories :)

One year later…

"Hermy, Daddy said I was s'posed to come get you," Lily said as her smiling face appeared in the doorway of Hermione's room.

"It's `supposed' Lily," Hermione corrected, smiling. "And why are you supposed to come and get me?"

"I dunno," Lily replied with the same smirk that Harry got when he was up to something. "Daddy said that I was to bring you downstairs to the sitting room."

"Well then, I guess I should go see what he wants, shouldn't I?" Hermione said, taking Lily's hand. As they made their way down the hallway to the staircase, Hermione looked at all the Christmas decorations that were hanging up everywhere, adding a very festive atmosphere to the house.

Lily pulled her down the stairs excitedly as she let the Christmas-y feeling wash over her, along with curiosity as to what Harry had planned for her. It had to be something good if Lily was this excited.

Lily stopped just outside the sitting room and bounced up and down. "Go in, go in!"

"Okay," Hermione replied, laughing. Reaching out to grab the door handle, she gasped as she felt a tingle run from her hand, throughout her entire body. Looking down, she gasped again as she saw that she was now dressed in a beautiful white lace dress. It was a simple, floor length dress with a beaded bodice and a simple tie-in-the-back waist…and it was the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. As her stomach suddenly became aflutter with nerves for no reason at all, the door opened and her eyes widened at the scene before her. Looking down at Lily, she noticed that the beautiful little girl was wearing a dress similar to hers and a huge smile.

"Are you going to stand out there, or will you be joining James and I in here?" Harry asked amused and she could practically hear the smirk in his voice.

Walking in through the door, she took in the scene before her and stopped immediately. The sitting room had been converted and it looked stunning. There were fairy lights floating overhead, a beautifully decorated Christmas tree in the corner, and Harry was standing in front of a roaring fireplace with James standing next to him. Finally moving, Hermione started to walk toward them and asked, "What is all of this? I thought we were just having a simple Christmas Eve dinner tonight and then it would be off to bed?"

"Well, James,Lily, and I were discussing what to get you for Christmas, and then we started talking about what they wanted for Christmas…and well, maybe they should tell you," Harry replied, looking from Lily to James.

Hermione watched as James walked toward her and she smiled lovingly at him. He had come so far in the last year; she had worked with him eveyday, trying to get him to speak, and he was coming out of his shell more and more each day. Even his interaction with other adults was getting better, and she was so proud of him. Feeling him take her hand in his, she snapped out of her thoughts and looked down at his smiling face. "Hermione," he said quietly, looking at her shyly, "Lily and I talked about it with Dad, and for Christmas we'd like you to be our new Mum."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears immediately as she knelt down so that she was face to face with him. "But James, even though your Mum's not with us anymore, she's still your Mum and I would never dream of trying to take her place. Besides, I already think of you and Lily as my own children, and I love you both so much."

"And we love you," Lily said, walking up and taking her other hand. "And we want to know if you'll marry our Dad and be our new Mum?"

When Hermione looked up, Harry was standing behind his children, holding an open ring box in his hand. As happy tears fell gently down her cheeks, Harry reached out to wipe one away and said, "You're already a part of our family; you take care of us when we're sick, you're there when we need you, and you always make sure that we know how much we mean to you. You are everything to us and we couldn't imagine living one day without you in it. Will you marry me…well, I should ask will you marry us, Hermione?"

Hermione laughed and cried at the same time. She looked from Harry to James and then to Lily, all three of their faces watching her expectantly. Looking back to Harry she asked, "Lily, James, can I talk to your Dad alone for a moment?"

It broke her heart a little as she saw their faces fall with thoughts of her saying no to their question. Reluctantly, James took Lily's hand and they walked out the door with their heads hung low. When she tore her gaze from their dejected forms she looked back to Harry to see the children's expressions mirrored on his face. Taking both of his hands in hers, she smiled up at him and said, "I'm not saying 'no' Harry, I just wanted to speak with you before I answered to make sure this is really what you want."

His face brightened a little and he said, "This is absolutely what I want. Since the first day you walked through my front door, my life hasn't been the same…it's been better than I ever could have imagined. You may have started out by working for me, and we had our rough points in the beginning, but once I saw Ginny for who she really was and stopped denying my feelings for you…well, life's been brilliant." Cupping her face in his hands, he gently caressed her skin with his thumbs and continued, "All this time that we thought we were being so sneaky and keeping our relationship from James and Lily? Well, they knew and confronted me on it two weeks ago. The three of us had a very enlightening conversation and it was almost like they were reading my mind. I had been thinking about proposing to you for Christmas and they came to me with the exact same idea…and here we are." Taking her left hand in his, he kneeled down in front of her and placed the ring near the fingernail of her left ring finger, poised to slide it on, and asked, "Hermione Jane Granger, will you marry me?"

"Yes, I will marry you," she answered as happy tears fell from her eyes. She laughed as she heard Lily and James both shouting happily outside the door where they had obviously been listening. Finally looking down at the ring Harry had placed on her finger she said, "Harry, this ring is absolutely stunning!"

"I'm glad you think so, because Lily picked it out," Harry replied as James and Lily came running into the room toward them, both their faces shining brightly with happiness.

Lily ran up to Hermione and threw her hands around her waist, giving her a big hug. "I'm so glad you said yes, and that you like my ring! It was so pretty, just like you."

Hermione bent down and placed a kiss on the top of Lily's head and looked toward James, who was standing proudly next to his Dad smiling at her. With one of her arms wrapped around Lily's shoulders, she held out her other one in invitation and he walked up to her without hesitation. She wrapped her outstretched arm around his shoulders too and squeezed them lightly. Kissing James on the top of his head too, causing his cheeks to take on a pink tinge, she said, "I feel like the luckiest person in the world right now."

"Oh, the night has only just begun," Harry said mischievously. Walking toward the door, he motioned for someone to come in, and in walked Lisa, Cole, and Hermione's parents.

When she saw her parents standing there she quirked one of her eyebrows and asked, "Mum…Dad? Not that I'm not deliriously happy to see you, but…what are you doing here? You told me you couldn't make it for Christmas?"

"Hello dear," her Mum answered as she walked up to her and gave her a hug. "Your young fellow called us to let us know what he was planning and we wanted it to be a surprise. We were hoping that it would be more than just a Christmas celebration. Is it?"

"Yes it is," Hermione replied, beaming happily at her parents. "Harry asked me to marry him and I've said yes!"

"Congratulations honey," her Dad said, giving her a hug also. Turning around, he held his hand out to Harry and said, "Congratulations to you too, Harry. Just make sure that you take good care of our little girl."

"I plan to Sir," Harry answered looking just a tad nervous under Mr. Granger's intense stare and the hidden warning in his words.

Lily, who had been quiet up until that moment walked up to Jane, Hermione's mum, and asked, "Does that mean that you'll be my new Gramma?"

"Why, yes, I suppose it does," Jane answered, smiling down at the beautiful little blond girl standing before her, watching her with her big green eyes.

"Good, because I only have Granda Lovegood and I don't get to see him very much anymore," Lily replied, as any innocent child would, but her comment hit Harry hard.

He hadn't thought about how Luna's dad had been for a long time now and a stab of guilt shot through him. Vowing to contact his former father-in-law the next chance he got, Harry said, "I think we've made the Minister wait long enough, don't you?"

"What do you mean?" Hermione asked, perplexed, wondering what other surprises Harry had up his sleeve.

"Well, I figured that since your parents are here, and I really have no one that I want here other than Cole, Lisa, and the kids, that we could get married tonight. Now."

Hermione looked up at Harry with the utmost look of love shining in her eyes and said, "That sounds like a wonderful idea."

Lily ran to the door and motioned for the Minister, who had been standing outside the room waiting to see if he would be needed or not, to come in to join them. Walking into the room with a smile on his face the Minister said, "I see we'll be celebrating after all."

"Thank you for waiting," Harry replied, "There were a few things we needed to sort out first, but we're ready now."

"Brilliant! Let's get this ceremony started then, shall we? My wife would like me home to have dinner with the family tonight and as you probably know, it's not wise to upset the wife during the holidays."

"You're absolutely right," Mr. Granger agreed quickly with a smirk toward his wife. When she glared back at him he looked away from her and focused once more on the Minister of Magic, causing the adults in the room to laugh.

Harry moved to stand next to the Minister of Magic while Hermione followed her Dad to the back of the room, along with Lily. James stood next to his Father proudly with a big smile on his face, looking like Christmas had come early (which in a way, it had). With a little bit of bustle in the back of the room, and a wave of the Minister's wand, some beautiful music filled the air. With a bouquet of flowers that Lisa had transfigured and given her, Lily walked down the short aisle and went to proudly stand off to the side opposite her Dad and brother. Hermione's Dad wrapped her arm around his as her Mom went to tearfully sit next to Cole and Lisa in one of the few chairs that were left in the room.

After walking his daughter to the front of the room and handing her to Harry with his blessings, the Minister of Magic performed the ceremony to marry them. Afterwards, they had a giant celebration dinner that they couldn't convince the Minister to stay for due to his wife's insistance that he come straight home afterward. When everyone was full and sleepy, preperations were made for Christmas morning and everyone went off to bed. When Hermione had turned to go toward his room that night after tucking James and Lily in, he had stopped her and asked, "Why don't we sleep in your room tonight?"

"Okay," Hermione replied, confused. "But can I ask why you'd rather sleep in my small bed when you have one twice the size?"

Walking up to her, Harry wrapped his arms around her waist and said, "First I want you to understand that what I'm about to say is in no way to hurt your feelings." When she nodded he continued, "That room, the bed that's in my room...I shared with Luna and Ginny. I'm not proud about letting Ginny in but that's in the past, you're my future, and that's why I don't want you and I to have the same room or bed. If it's okay with you, there will be a new bed delivered the day after tomorrow and we can choose which one of the other rooms to use as ours."

Hermione stood there looking at him as he spoke, genuinely in awe of his consideration for her feelings. As he stood waiting for her reply, she said, "That would be fine with me," and kissed him deeply. When she pulled back and he smiled at her she added, "I don't know of any other man that would even be so considerate of his new wife's feelings. I have to admit, it had crossed my mind that I would be sharing the same room with you that they had."

"Well, now you won't be." Scooping her up in his arms, he carried her into her room and lay her gently onto the bed. Closing and locking the door while casting the silencing spell, he walked back over to her and lay down on top of her. Claiming her lips in a heated kiss, he started to undress her slowly, relishing in every inch of soft, silky skin that he revealed. They spent the night exploring each other's bodies, not as lover's anymore, but as husband and wife, relishing in the fact that their new life together was off to a very, very nice start.

~*~

"Daddy? Hermy? It's time to open presents!" came Lily's voice through Hermione's bedroom door very early on Christmas morning, as well as some pounding on the door to get her point across. When Harry untangled himself from his new wife and looked at the clock he groaned and said, "Bloody hell, it's only six-thirty in the morning!"

Yawning loudly as she languidly stretched, giving Harry a very nice view, Hermione said, "But it's Christmas morning, all children get up before the crack of dawn so that they can rip open every one of their presents in as little time as possible. I think my all time record was ten minutes."

"Erm, well...there is something I should tell you," Harry said, looking at her with a bit of a serious look on her face. "I never really had that many memorable Christmas's while I was growing up so I sort of overdo it with James and Lily, I'm afraid."

"And you think that's a bad thing?" she asked, looking at him with love shining in her eyes. "Harry, you spoiled them last year too. If Lily and James acted like two spoiled children who never listened, then maybe I could find fault with the fact that you spoil them. But they are two of the most wonderful children I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and I can't even start to tell you how proud I am to be their step-mum."

Harry bent down and started kissing her passionately, hoping for a repeat of what they had done into the wee hours of the morning, but once again Lily yelled, "Daaadddddyyyyyy.....come on!"

When she started to jiggle the doorknob they looked at each other and laughed quietly. "We'd better get up before they convince Lisa to use her wand to open the door." Harry said.

"She wouldn't do that," Hermione replied, looking at him with some doubt in her expression.

"No, she knows better," he answered with a smile. "But you never know with her quirky sense of humor. Come on, we'd best get up and dressed so that the kids can open their presents."

As they got into their robes, Harry took Hermione's hand and opened the door of her room, only to be almost knocked down by Lily as she ran in and wrapped her arms around Harry's legs. When he released Hermione's hand and picked her up, Lily leaned over to kiss Hermione on the cheek and said, "Happy Christmas mummy."

Tears sprang to Hermione's eyes after she said this and as she smiled at Lily she asked, "But before you called me Hermy?"

"I wanted to say it for the first time when I saw you," Lily replied with a huge smile. "Now can we please go open our presents now?"

"Yes, yes we can," Harry said while laughing. Walking out into the hallway, he saw James standing there and he said, "Happy Christmas son."

"Happy Christmas dad," James replied while smiling. Looking at Hermione his cheeks took on a pink tinge as he said, "Happy Christmas mum."

Hermione walked over to James and kneeled down so that she was at eye level with him. Placing her hand gently on his arm she said, "James, you don't have to call me mum if you don't want to. It's okay if you still want to call me Hermione."

"No,I want to call you mum," he replied. "It's just kind of...new."

"I know what you mean," Hermione said while smiling lovingly at him. Standing up, she held out her hand to him and he took it right away. The four of them made their way down the stairs to find Hermione's parents, Lisa, and Cole all waiting around the Christmas tree. "We tried to keep them patient for as long as we could," Lisa said with a smile.

"It's better than last year," Harry said, looking at Hermione. "What time was it that they woke you up again?"

"Five a.m." she replied, yawning again.

As the adults settled in with nice hot steaming cups of tea, James and Lily seperated their presents from everyone else's and started to open them as fast as they could. Fifteen minutes later all the toys had been unwrapped and opened, and the two of them sat playing happily with their new things. As Harry sat in front of the tree, handing out the gifts to everyone else, Cole said, "Harry, would you mind giving that one there that's from me to Lisa?"

"Sure," Harry said, seeking out the present Cole was pointing to. Finding it, he handed it to Lisa as Cole had asked and found the one he had been looking for to give to Hermione. Not paying attention, he heard Lisa gasp and looked over to find her holding up a one-karat solitaire diamond ring in her hand, looking at Cole with tears in her eyes.

"So what do you say?" Cole asked. "Lisa, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" Lisa said happily as Cole took the ring from her shaking hand and slipped it on her left ring finger. Lisa launched herself at Cole in a giant hug and kissed him. "What a wonderful Christmas present, thank you so much."

"I wanted it to be special, and what's more special than proposing in front of the people we think of as our own family?" he asked. "I was just hoping the spontaneous wedding last night wouldn't put a damper on it"

Hermione sat on the sofa with tears running down her cheeks, touched at the scene unfolding before her. Harry walked over and sat down next to her, wiping the tears from her cheeks. "It's about time, don't you think?" he whispered, causing her to laugh.

"Yes, I guess so," she replied, looking at him.

"This is for you, from me," he said and then corrected, "Well, from your parents and I."

Looking at him quizzically, she opened the flat box and took out an old looking watch. Unsure of how to react, she looked at him and asked more than said, "Thank you?"

Laughing, Harry looked over to her parents and back to her again. "It's a Portkey," he explained. "Your parents have agreed to stay until after the New Year so that they can get to know their knew grandchildren better and then on January second, we'll be leaving on our honeymoon."

"Really?" she asked, touched by the gesture. When he nodded she asked, "So where are we going?"

"That, my dearest heart, is a surprise," Harry answered cryptically.

At just that time, Lily walked up to Hermione and handed her an envelope. "I made this for you this morning," she said quietly, as if divulging a big secret. "I would have made it before, but I didn't know that I was supposed to."

When Lily stood there smiling at her as if nothing were unusual about what she had just said, Hermione looked at Harry and then back at the envelope in her hand. Setting the portkey watch aside, Hermione opened the envelope to find a card that Lily had made herself. It had a picture of Santa drawn on the front (as best as any five year old could draw, anyway) and it read "Happy Christmas To My New Mummy". Opening it, Hermione read what Lily had written and looked at the small girl quizzically and asked, "Lily, I'm afraid I don't understand."

"You will," Lily replied with a big smile on her face as her eyes shone brightly with happiness. As she made her way back to her new pile of toys, Harry gestured questioningly at the card in Hermione's hand and she gave it to him to read. Inside it said:

"It's our first family Christmas
and there will be so many more.

You are my mum now and I'm so glad
because you're perfect for my Dad.
I'm afraid that my present will be latebut

please do not be mad.
You will get it in the next three months, and can share with our Dad."

Shrugging, Harry handed the card back to Hermione and said, "I guess we'll just have to wait three months to see what she gives you."

Watching Lily as she played Hermione quietly agreed, "I guess we will," knowing that it wouldn't be something simple, knowing how cunning the little girl could be.

~*~

The next day Harry and Hermione's bedroom arrived, which shocked Hermione since she was just expecting a bed only. As the movers floated the old furniture down the staircase, Harry stepped into the empty room they had chosen to be their new bedroom and asked, "Would you like it to be a different color?"

Hermione looked around at the dark blue color on the wall and asked, "I don't suppose we could make it something a bit...well, comforting?"

Taking in the empty room before him, Harry said, "You know, at Hogwarts our common room was decorated in maroon and gold and it always made me feel so...at home, I guess you could say."

"Why don't we make the walls maroon with gold trim?" Hermione asked simply.

"You wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all," she replied. "I think it sounds lovely, actually."

So with some flicks and swishes of his wand, Harry changed the color of their new bedroom and stood in the center of it, admiring his work with Hermione. "I think it looks fabulous," she said matter-of-factly.

"I'm glad, because I think it's brilliant," he said, bending down to place a quick kiss on her lips since they could hear the delivery wizards coming back up the stairs. After telling them where to put each piece of furniture, they both lay on the bed together and took in the room they would be sharing together for the rest of their lives. Lily came running in and immediately jumped onto the bed, bouncing the two of them and making them laugh. When James walked in, he looked around and said, "Dad, it looks just like the pictures you showed me of your old common room at Hogwarts."

"Aye, it does," Harry replied. "Hermione likes the colors just as much as I do."

"They're...soothing," she said, taking a moment to think of the right word.

"I couldn't have said it better myself," Harry said, smiling over at her right before Lily jumped on top of him playfully, knocking the breath right out of him while James and Hermione laughed.

~*~

After that day, the rest of the year passed by quickly and the next thing they knew, they were hosting a huge New Year's Eve party that anyone and everyone had been invited to. It was also a celebration of Harry and Hermione's marriage, which hadn't yet been announced until that night, so that made for an even more festive atmoshpere. With so many congratulations and well-wishes, Hermione was exhauseted two hours after the new year had begun. "I don't suppose we could go to bed now?" she asked sleepily. "Isn't our Portkey set to leave in five hours?"

"Yes, it is," Harry replied, yawning as well. Four hours later, Harry found himself stumbling down the stairs with Hermione in tow, their trunks shrunk and put in their pockets since, according to Harry, it was a magical place they were going to.

"All set to go?" Hermione's dad asked as they walked by him as he stood at the bottom of the stairs.

"All set," Hermione replied. "But you didn't have to get up so early just to see us off."

"We're all up!" said a very excited Lily as she came bounding into the sitting room. Unlike the adults, she and James had been in bed by nine the previous night so she was well rested and ran straight for Harry, practically jumping into his arms, giving him a huge hug. James followed her in, but at a walk, and stood quietly watching the scene before him.

"How long will you be gone?" he asked quietly, looking at his dad.

"Ten days," Harry replied, and then setting Lily back onto the floor he leaned over to whisper in James' ear.

"Really?" James asked with a smile on his face.

"Really, but don't say anything," Harry replied, ruffling his son's hair affectionately.

"It's almost time," Hermione said sleepily, drawing their attention to her. Walking toward Lily, Hermione knelt down and gave Lily a big hug and kiss on the cheek. Moving toward James, she knelt in front of him and asked, "Is it okay if I give you a hug goodbye too?"

When he nodded, she wrapped her arms around his stomach as he put his around her neck and laid his head on her shoulder. Turning so that his mouth was near her ear he whispered, "I'm going to miss you."

Pulling back a little, Hermione kissed him quickly on his cheek and said, "I'm going to miss you too. But I know that Lisa, Cole and my mum and dad will take good care of you." When he nodded, she added, "And my dad is really bad at checkers." Checkers was James favorite game of all.

"Hey!" her Dad protested with a smile. "We'll just have to see about that now, won't we?" he asked, looking toward James who nodded in agreement.

Hugging all the others goodbye, Harry and Hermione took hold of the portkey watch and counted down, disappearing as the clock in the sitting room chimed seven. When they landed gently (thanks to many travels by portkey) and Hermione turned around she gasped at the huge ship that was before her. "Is that...?"

"Welcome to the USS Merlin," Harry said, gesturing toward the ship. "This is a purely magical cruise, so if we don't want to leave our room the entire time we're on the ship, we can just magically order our food right from our room and anything else we want or need."

Hermione hugged him and said, "Thank you so much Harry, this is going to be so much fun!"

"Ten days alone with you, without James and Lily knocking on the door, or Lisa needing me for something? Yeah, I'd say this is going to be a great trip!"

~*~

After enjoying ten lovely days together by themselves Harry and Hermione returned home to resume their normal life together with Lisa, Cole, James, and Lily. Sadly, Hermione's parents had to return to their home, and Hermione tearfully saw them off with the promise that she, Harry, and the children would come to visit them soon. While they had been away, Lisa and Cole (with Lily's input of course) had decided to be wed on June 7th, which was less than five months away.

"That's pretty quick," Harry remarked offhandedly.

"Like you're one to talk about quick weddings?" Cole teased.

"Smartass," Harry replied laughing. "If you need any help with anything just let me know."

"Thank you," Lisa said, smiling brightly. "Erm, there is a reason for the rush...I'm pregnant!"

Hermione let out a small squeal of delight and made her way to Lisa to give her a huge hug of congratulations. Harry went over and shook Cole's hand as well as giving Lisa a hug and said, "If you would like, you're both welcome to move into the guest house. It has two bedrooms and is pretty good sized as you already know." When the two of them kept quiet he added, "You two have been my friends all through Hogwarts, you stood by me through the war, and you've been here with me since I first moved in. I couldn't imagine life around here without you in it. Besides, Lily and James think of you as their Auntie Lisa and Uncle Cole, they would miss you as well."

"And if you're not feeling up to cooking or whatever around here, I'm more than happy to help out," Hermione replied, looking at Lisa. "Really, it just wouldn't be the same around here without the two of you."

Lisa looked to Cole who stared back at her intensely, and when he saw the pleading look in her eyes he said, "Okay, we would love to move into the guest house."

"And don't even think about paying rent or anything, I won't hear of it," Harry said when he saw Cole open his mouth to say something else.

Shaking his head, Cole said, "You always could tell what I was going to say before I said it."

The following week, Harry and Cole moved Lisa and Cole's things into the guest house, freeing up the entire west wing upstairs. Standing in the middle of the sitting room, Hermione looked around as Harry walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, planting a kiss on the side of her neck. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"This house just seems so big," she replied. "Especially now that Lisa and Cole are living in the guest house."

"Well, why don't we start working on expanding our family then?" he asked, nipping at her earlobe with his teeth, causing a shiver to run down her spine.

"That sounds wonderful," she replied, reaching her hand behind her to caress his cheek lovingly.

"Well, since the kids are over with Cole and Lisa, 'helping' them unpack," he said with laughter in his voice, "why don't we go start on that right now?"

Turning toward him with a mischevious smile on her face, she said, "Only if you can beat me up to our room," and took off running up the stairs.

Smiling as he watched her behind as she ran, Harry closed his eyes and concentrated on what his bedroom door looked like and apparated. When Hermione got to the top of the stairs, only to see Harry leaning against the doorframe of their room with a cocky grin on his face, she said, "How'd you...but you didn't...you apparated, didn't you?" When he nodded his head with that damn grin still on his face she said, "You cheated and you told me the wards didn't allow apparition inside the house!" she said, walking up to him.

"Did I? Hmm, guess I was thinking of something else." Laughing when she smacked him on the arm, he scooped her up as she started laughing and said, "What does it matter? We win either way."

~*~

Valentine's Day, two weeks later...

Hermione crawled back into bed, after running to the loo once again to be sick. Putting the cold cloth on her head that she had brought back with her, along with something else, she snuggled under the covers and Harry immediately rolled over and put his hand over her waist while snuggling closer. When she moaned quietly he quickly brought his head up and asked, "Hermione? Are you okay?"

"I'm still sick," she replied, enjoying the coolness of the cloth as she relaxed into her pillow.

Harry could hear her stomach gurgle in the silence of the room and he said, "Is there anything I can do?"

"No, but you're a luv for asking," she mumbled, just before quickly jumping out of bed again for another run to the bathroom. When she came back ten minutes later, she switched on her bedside lamp to find Harry laying in bed wide awake, watching her.

"Maybe you should go see a healer?" he asked. "You've had this flu for a week now."

Looking down at the clock on her nightstand, Hermione picked up the other object she had brought along with the clock and looked down at it. When her eyes filled with tears and two escaped, making their way down her cheeks, Harry asked, "Luv, what is it? What's wrong?"

Sniffling, Hermione wiped at one of the tears and looked up at him. Showing him a thin white stick she replied, "Absolutely nothing is wrong. I don't have the flu, I'm pregnant."

Harry just stared at her for a moment, letting it soak in, and then he was out of bed in a flash, wrapping her in a gentle hug. "We're going to have a baby?" he asked quietly, sounding a bit choked up himself.

"According to this muggle stick test that I bought yesterday," she replied. "I'll go to the healer tomorrow to confirm it."

"We're not waiting until tomorrow," he replied. "Wait here."

Hermione watched curiously as he quickly pulled on a t-shirt and jeans and made his way out of their room. About fifteen minutes later, he walked back in with an older woman in tow, mumbling none too happily behind him. Walking up to her he said, "Hermione, this is Madam Pomfrey. She healed me after every Quidditch injury I suffered during my years at Hogwarts and saved me from near-death after the war."

"It's very nice to meet you Mrs. Potter," the nurse replied politely.

"Please, call me Hermione," she said. "There's no need for such formalities."

"Alright Hermione, Mr. Potter informs me you haven't been feeling well and that you suspect you may be pregnant?"

"Um, yes, but you really didn't need to make a house call. I told Harry I was going to see a healer tomorrow," she replied, casting an annoyed glance at him.

"One thing I've learned over the years is that Mr. Potter is anything but patient," the nurse replied, casting him an annoyed look as well. Switching into official nurse mode she asked, "If you would please lie down on the bed, I'll examine you and preform the pregnancy spell."

Doing as she was asked, Hermione lay back down on their bed and opened her robe as the nurse asked, exposing her nightdress. Madam Pomfrey started waving her wand over her right away and while swirling it in a circular motion over her stomach, the nurse muttered a few words and a blue glow appeared. Hermione looked at Harry to see him practically beaming and never having a magical pregnancy test performed before she asked, "So I am pregnant then?"

"Yes you are," the nurse replied with a smile. "And it seems you'll be having a boy."

"A boy?" Hermione asked, in a bit of a state of shock. It wasn't even nine in the morning yet and already she had not only found out she was pregnant, but that she and Harry would be having a little boy. "So can you tell me a due date?"

Waving her wand once more while uttering a few more words Madam Pomfrey answered, "I'd say September 16th."

"That's just three days before my birthday," Hermione said, smiling and placing her hand on her still flat stomach. Thinking back, she looked at the nurse and asked, "So then I conceived..."

"On Christmas Eve," Madam Pomfrey finished with a smile. "So, if you experience any morning sickness..." when Hermione nodded her head adamantly she continued, "try to drink water and tea, and eat toast or other light foods."

Nodding in understanding, Hermione said, "Thank you so much for coming here this morning. It means more than you'll ever know."

"Yes, thank you," Harry agreed as the nurse gathered her things and walked past him toward the door.

"You're very welcome, congratulations," Madam Pomfrey replied. "Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day."

Hermione hadn't even realized what day it was until the nurse mentioned it. "Thank you." she replied quietly.

"I'm just going to accompany Madam Pomfrey back downstairs," Harry said with a smile. "I'll be right back."

"Okay," Hermione replied, unable to wipe the smile off of her face. As she lay with her hand on her stomach, thinking of the small version of she and Harry that was growing inside of her, Lily peeked her head into the room and asked, "Can I come in?"

"Of course you can," Hermione replied instantly.

When the little blond walked over and sat next to her on the bed she said, "You don't look good. Are you still sick?"

"I am," Hermoine replied, not knowing really how much she should say.

Lily sat there, staring intently into Hermione's eyes and said, "You got my Christmas present, didn't you?"

"What?" Hermione asked, puzzled.

"My Christmas present, remember my card?" Lily asked. "It said that you would get my present in the next three months." When Hermione lay there watching her Lily said, "I'm going to have a new baby brother, right?"

Hermione's mouth dropped open in surprise just as Harry walked in just in time to hear what his daughter had said. "You told her already?" he asked, looking at Hermione.

"No, actually I didn't," Hermione said. "Lily, were you listening at the door?"

"No," Lily replied innocently. "On Christmas Eve night, Mum came to me in my dreams and told me that something special would be coming into our lives soon, a baby boy. She said that you and Daddy would be getting the present in three months time, and she told me what I should write in the card I gave you."

"Luna came to you in a dream and told you this?" Harry asked, walking up to his daughter and kneeling down so that he was at eye-level with her.

"Yeah," Lily answered like there was nothing unusual about it.

"Then why didn't you put that in the card?" he asked.

"Because Mum said not to. She said that she knew how much you loved surprises, and that this one was something that the two of you should find out on your own." Lily looked at Hermione with a smile and said, "She wanted me to give you a present she knew you've always wanted."

Hermione's eyes welled with tears and Lily threw her arms around her neck, hugging her. "Don't cry mum. It's time to be happy. You and Aunt Lisa are both having babies, but her's is gonna be a girl. Don't tell her I said so though, because she doesn't want to know."

Sniffling, Hermione laughed and said, "I won't say anything."

"I'm going to go get some breakfast," Lily said, switching gears as quickly as any other normal five year old does.

Harry watched her run out of their room and took her place next to Hermione. Caressing her cheek with his hand, he said, "Happy Valentine's Day."

"Happy Valentine's Day," she replied. Wiping the tears from her eyes, she could feel Harry's eyes boring into her and she looked up at him and asked, "What is it?"

"Lily said that Luna told her a baby was something you've always wanted," he stated carefully. "Was that with..."

"Brian? Yes, we had talked about starting a family right after we were married," she replied quietly. "But obviously it wasn't meant to be with him...it was your baby that I was supposed to carry, not his."

"I thought you didn't believe in divination?" he asked.

"I don't," she replied. "But I believe in Fate and Destiny, and obviously this is our destiny."

"How about we go down and tell everyone the good news, if Lily hasn't already?"

"Sounds great," Hermione replied. "Just please don't ask me to eat anything."

~*~

The following months were...well, the only word Harry could think of was interesting. With Lisa and Cole's wedding in June and then having two pregnant women about in the middle of a sweltering summer the likes of none other was not an easy task. Thank Merlin for cooling charms. Of course both Lisa and Hermione felt that they could do all the things they could do before, but finally Harry and Cole had to step in and take over, making them lay down to rest. Since Lisa was due on August seventh, she was bigger than Hermione but not by much since everyone but her knew that she was carrying a girl (Cole wanted to know, she didn't, so she closed her eyes while the midwife performed the charm). If you compared the two, you'd think that Hermione was due before Lisa, which didn't make Hermione very happy on the days when her hormones were running rampant. Every other day, she was her sweet, loving self to Harry's relief.

August first came around and Cole came running into the main house at six that night. When Harry and Hermione saw the worried look on his face, Harry asked, "Cole, what's wrong?"

"Lisa's water has broken," he said. "She seems really scared, and I'm not sure what to do to help her."

"Bring her in here," Hermione said immediately. "Carry her over and take her upstairs to my old room. I've converted it into a birthing room, and I told her if she couldn't make it or didn't want to go to Hospital she could use it."

Nodding quickly, Cole ran from the house and Hermione turned to Harry. "Would you please floo the midwife and ask her to come straightaway?"

"Of course," he replied, bending down to kiss her quickly before making his way into his office

Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath to calm herself, knowing that whatever she felt the baby felt. She promised Lisa that she would be there for her, with Lisa making the same promise in return. As she slowly climbed up the stairs, leaning onto the railing since she was almost in her ninth month, she saw James come out of his room. When he saw the look on her face he asked, "Is everything okay?"

"It's fine. It's just that your Aunt Lisa is having her baby," she replied, smiling at him as she finally reached the top.

When he saw Cole come rushing through the front door with Lisa in his arms, James asked, "Is she having it here?"

"Yes she is," Hermione replied.

"I'll be in my room," he said, and turned to go back into his room, causing her to laugh at the uncomfortable look that had crossed his face.

Lily, on the other hand, came bouncing out of her room. "Auntie Lisa is having the baby?" she asked excitedly.

"Yes," Hermione answered.

"Now?" Lily asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

"Well, not right away, but probably sometime tonight, yes," Hermione replied to the girl's rapid fire questions.

"So I won't get to see?" she asked, sounding suddenly disappointed.

"It's better if you don't watch Pumpkin," Harry said, coming up the stairs to stand next to Hermione. As he rubbed his hand lovingly over her stomach, he could feel the baby move under his hand and smiled. "You'll get to see her in the morning," he whispered so that Lisa wouldn't hear, knowing that it wouldn't appease his all too curious daughter.

"Alright," Lily replied dejectedly. Giving both of them hugs and kisses goodnight, she made her way back to her room, looking for all intents and purposes as if she had just lost her best friend.

"Any sign of James yet?" Harry asked.

"Oh yes," Hermione replied with a smile. "He hightailed it right back into his room."

Laughing, Harry said, "I didn't think he'd stick around." Turning around at the sound of someone coming up the stairs, he turned to see the midwife he had flooed making her way up the stairs toward them. Pointing out the room, they stood watching as she went in and a minute later Cole came out.

"Hermione, it seems she'd rather have you in there," Cole said. "Seems my nervousness isn't helping her situation any."

"I understand completely," Harry said, slapping his friend on the back in a manly gesture of friendship. "I was the same way when Luna had James. Why don't we go down to my office and have a drink? It may be a very long night."

"Sounds good to me," Cole said, looking quickly toward the room, his wife's scream echoing through the hallway. "Let's go get that drink now."

Ten hours later, Emily Rose Jamison made her entry into the world kicking and screaming. Cole had been inside the room with Lisa the final hour, much calmer than when her labour had started, and once Emily was checked, cleaned, and swaddled, he got to hold her for the first time. "Hello, my little angel," he whispered softly as he bent down to kiss her forehead gently. Walking out into the hallway where Harry and Hermione were waiting, he lifted Emily just enough so that they could see her face clearly and said, "I'd like you to meet Emily Rose."

Hermione's eyes swelled with tears when she saw him holding the tiny moving bundle in his arms. Looking up at him she asked, "Can I hold her?"

"Absolutely," he said, still smiling proudly.

While he accepted congratulations from Harry, Hermione held Emily in her arms and was amazed at how tiny she was. She had never been a nanny to a family with a child younger than a year old, so holding the newborn in her arms was something wonderfully new. Just as she reached a finger up to gently caress Emily's cheek, the baby kicked hard in her stomach, making her laugh. When the men looked toward her she pointed toward her stomach and said, "It seems someone is already jealous."

Handing Emily back to Cole, Harry and Hermione watched as Cole walked back into Lisa's room and Hermione looked whistfully at Harry. "Just think," she said, "In just six weeks, that's going to be us."

"Yes it is," Harry replied, kissing her tenderly while he led her to their room to try and convince her to sleep since she had been up all night long, helping Lisa when she needed it. He was glad when she gratefully crawled into bed without any argument and snuggled underneath the covers, falling asleep after a short time.

The following day, after Hermione had slept the rest of the day and through the night, the midwife returned to check on mother and baby. Since both Lisa and Emily were doing well, the midwife said that Cole could move them back into the guest house. After thanking Hermione profusely for all of her help with tears in her eyes (new moms can be very emotional) Lisa let Cole help her down the stairs while Harry carried Emily behind them. "I need the practice you know," he'd said. "I haven't held a newborn for five years now."

Smiling as she watched him carry Emily ever-so-carefully, the midwife walked up to her and asked, "While I'm here, why don't I go ahead and examine you to make sure that you and your baby are doing fine, Mrs. Potter?"

"That would be fine," Hermione said, leading the nurse into their bedroom. While in the midst of the examination, Harry walked in and got a worried look on his face when he saw the midwife examining Hermione.

"Is everything okay?" he asked, a note of worry in his voice as well.

"Everything's fine," the midwife said.

"She offered to examine me while she was here to make sure the baby and I are doing okay," Hermione replied, smiling at him, hopefully putting him at ease.

"Some of her magical levels are a little off, but that's normal this advanced into the pregnancy. I'd suggest not doing any more magic until after you deliver."

Harry watched as the midwife finished the exam and helped Hermione sit up on the bed. "It looks like everything else is right on schedule. I'll be back next week to check you again."

After thanking her, they made their way into the kitchen to get something to eat. Harry pulled a chair out for Hermione, indicating for her to sit down, making his point that he would take care of dinner. As she watched him gather together the pans and food he would need she gasped as the baby suddenly kicked her really hard in the side again. Quickly looking back at her, Harry asked, "Alright then?"

"I swear he's going to be a football player," she replied, trying to make light of things.

"There's no way he'll be a footballer," Harry replied with a cocky smile. "He's a Potter, and Potter's are known for their Quidditch prowess."

"Then please tell him that so that he'll stop practicing his game winning kicks against the inside of my stomach."

~*~

The following six weeks were once again peaceful after Emily's arrival into the world...well, for everyone but Harry, that is. As Hermione got closer to her due date and stomach grew bigger and bigger, she became a bit...dare he say it? Insufferable. Due to her very swollen stomach and the discomfort brought on by the baby dropping lower into the birth canal as he prepared to make his entrance into the world, Hermione wasn't sleeping much due to not being able to get comfortable enough to drift off to sleep and she often woke Harry up so that she would have someone to talk to in the wee hours of the morning.

Her due date passed uneventful, as well as the next two days. Finally her twenty-seventh birthday arrived, finding her grouchy and snappish thanks to being three days overdue. In the hopes of raising her spirits, Harry had planned a small family gathering for dinner that night to celebrate, even making sure that her parents would be there. That morning, floating a tray full of her favorite breakfast foods in front of him, he opened the door to their room to surprise her with breakfast in bed. To his surprise, he found her sitting up in bed already, hunched over and clutching her stomach with a look of pure pain etched onto her face.

Letting the tray fall to the floor, Harry rushed over to her side and asked, "Hermione, luv, what's wrong? Is it the baby?"

"I-It's time," she panted, looking up at him with tear filled eyes. "I think I'm in labour."

"I'll go get the midwife," he said, running as fast as he could out of their room and down the stairs to his office. In what seemed like record time, he was racing back up the stairs with a very out of breath midwife behind him. Taking her into their bedroom, he watched as the midwife examined her quickly and said, "She's definitely in labour. We'll need to move her into the other room."

"No!" Hermione said adamantly. "I want to stay here, in my own bed." Looking pleadingly at Harry she said, "I don't want to go into the other room. Please."

Sitting next to her and placing his hands on her cheeks, which felt as if they were on fire, he said, "You can have whatever you want luv. Whatever makes you comfortable."

"But..." the midwife started, and whatever she was about to say died on her lips at the look that Harry gave her.

"We'll just move everything in here," he said, taking charge. "We'll be right back luv."

As he and the midwife made their way to the birthing room Hermione had set up and Lisa had used, Harry said, "Midwife Goodwin, her face felt like it was on fire when I touched her."

"That's because she has a fever Mr. Potter, which means that an infection has set in," Midwife Goodwin replied. "We need to get everything set up as quickly as possible...I fear Mrs. Potter is in for a very rough labour and delivery."

Harry's blood ran ice cold at the concern he picked up in the midwife's tone and he quickly gathered together everything they would need that the midwife couldn't carry herself. Placing everything where it needed to be in the room, the midwife made quick work of finding out where the infection was as Harry made his way to the opposite side of Hermione on the bed so that he wasn't in the way. As the midwife waved her wand over Hermione, who kept crying out every time a contraction hit she looked at Harry shaking her head and said, "This isn't a fever due to infection. Her body is being overloaded by the magic from the baby and it's causing her body temperature to rise rapidly."

"W-What do we do?" Harry asked, showing one of his rare moments of true fear.

"May I use your floo?" Midwife Goodwin asked, and Harry immediately nodded his head yes. Faster than he'd ever seen her move before, she made her way out of the room and down the stairs.

Smoothing her sweat soaked hair from her burning hot forehead Harry said, "Hang in there luv, she's getting help now."

"But the baby," Hermione said. "Harry, promise me you'll make sure the baby is okay."

Harry was stricken speechless for a moment before he gathered his wits together, kissed her lips and said, "Of course he'll be okay, and so will you."

"I mean if it comes down to a choice," she whimpered. "Make sure he makes it, okay?"

"Don't talk like that," Harry said. "You are BOTH going to be okay."

Just at that moment, Midwife Goodwin rushed into the room with Madam Pomfrey and Lisa in tow. Lisa looked from Harry's face to the nurses concerned expressions and she placed her hand over her mouth in concern. When she heard Lily's door open down the hall a ways, she walked out while closing the door behind her, cast a silencing charm on the room, and made her way down there hurriedly to make sure that neither she nor James saw Hermione in the condition she was in at the moment.

As Madam Pomfrey and Midwife Goodwin talked amongst one another Harry said, "Will one of you please tell me what's wrong with my wife?"

Looking at each other for a moment, Madam Pomfrey took the lead and explained, "Mr. Potter, everyone knows what a powerful wizard you are and that your body contains a lot of magic within it, at least double that of a normal wizard. When Luna carried your first two children it didn't affect her so much because she was pureblood and her body could handle the amount of magic the baby put forth while being born because she herself contained quite a bit of magical power. Unfortunately, Hermione is muggleborn, so her body is not used to such strong magic coursing through it and it may...shut down her system."

"What?" Harry asked, trying to take in all the information the nurse had just given him and understand it. Light dawned in his eyes as he realized what she had meant by her last sentence and he looked at Hermione. When he saw her staring back he asked, "You knew already, didn't you?"

"Yes, I knew that there was a risk, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion," she replied, crying out again as another contraction racked her body.

"Do something!" Harry yelled, desperate for her not to suffer. "There must be something you can do?"

Madam Pomfrey thought for a moment and said, "I will be back as soon as I can. There may be one thing that can help her through this."

Harry watched helplessly as she walked out of the room and vaguely heard the midwife ask, "Mr. Potter? Will you please help me roll her onto her side, preferably facing you?"

Being as gentle as he could, he pulled her around so that she was facing him and he could hardly bear the look of pain and fear that was on her face at that moment. "You're going to be okay," he said, trying to sound assuring even though he himself didn't feel very confident at that moment.

"I'm not worried about myself, I already told you that. I want you to make sure our son is okay."

"Hermione, I can't let you..."

"Yes, you can. If I'm meant to come through this, I will. If not, then it's my Destiny."

"I don't give a damn about destiny and fate!" Harry said sharply. Taking a deep, calming breath he said, "I love you Hermione, and may the Gods forgive me, but I know deep in my heart that you are the one I was meant to be with. I loved Luna, and because of that I was blessed with James and Lily, but if I lose you...I just can't. Our life together has just started, you can't leave me now. I don't think I could survive losing you."

Before any more could be said, Madam Pomfrey bustled back into the room with a dark figure behind her and Harry sat up quickly, his eyes narrowing to slits. "What the hell is he doing in my home?!" he growled angrily.

"I may just be saving your wife Potter, so I'd watch your tone if I were you," sneered Severus Snape as he walked up to the bed. "I have a potion that will double her magical levels just long enough for her to deliver."

"Like hell she'll be taking any potion that you've made, for all I know you're here to poison her or hurt my unborn son," Harry said fiercely, getting off of the bed to stand face-to-face with his hated ex-Potions Professor.

"Oh yay, another Potter in the world to play hero," Snape sneered down at him with hatred glittering in his eyes. Shoving the vial into his most hated student's hands he said, "Give it to her, don't give it to her, but if she dies her death will be on your hands, not mine."

"Ahhh!" Hermione screamed as Snape walked out of the room, never once looking back. "He's coming! I can feel something coming out!"

Madam Pomfrey gave Harry a grave, serious look and said, "Mr. Potter, she needs that potion now."

Torn by whether to trust his most hated enemy or trying to save the love of his life, there really was no choice. As the nurse was rolling Hermione onto her back once again he walked up to her, gently tilted her head up and said, "Drink this."

He watched as she swallowed the yellowish-colored liquid and made a face afterward. Crying out again, Madam Pomfrey peeked between her legs and said, "The head is crowning."

Harry was awestruck by what he saw, and worried sick about Hermione's well being at the same time. If she didn't survive and he found out that Snape had his evil hand in it he would hunt him down and kill the smarmy bastard with his own bare hands. "Madam Pomfrey," Midwife Goodwin said, pulling him from his thoughts. "Her temperature is dropping."

Feeling a little bit of relief with that statement, Harry walked over so that he could be by Hermione's side and helped to hold her head up as she worked to push the baby out. With one final, strangled cry Madam Pomfrey pulled the baby free of her and went to work on him to be sure he was okay while the midwife monitored Hermione. When Hermione cried out again suddenly Harry, the midwife, and the nurse all looked at her quickly. When Midwife Goodwin checked her again she said, "Oh my, it seems there's another baby."

"What?" Harry asked, shocked. When he looked down at Hermione he could see his shock mirrored on her face.

Carefully handing the baby to the midwife, Madam Pomfrey looked at Hermione and said, "Push again, as hard as you can."

Seven more pushes later, their daughter came into the world as well, just fifteen minutes after her brother. When Hermione collapsed back against the pillow Harry looked down at her in concern and with her eyes closed she said, "I'm okay Harry, just really, really tired."

"I can imagine," he said smiling, and then bent down to place a gentle kiss on her lips. Looking over to where the nurse and midwife were examining their baby boy and girl Harry said in awe, "We have a boy and a girl. Twins. I can't believe it."

"I can't either," mumbled Hermione sleepily. When I become coherent again someone owes me one hell of an explanation." Harry, unused to her swearing, laughed quietly at her statement.

"Just rest now luv. I'll make sure the babies are okay, I promise."

"I know you would never let anything happen to them," she said, barely opening her eyes to look at him with the slightest of smiles on her face. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now rest." And he watched the love of his life fall fast asleep, feeling happier than he ever thought was possible after all the heartache he'd experienced in his life, the last being the loss of Luna. Looking around the room, it was as if he could sense her presence watching over them, and as quietly as he could he whispered, "Thank you for watching over us." And with what felt like a phantom kiss on his cheek, the feeling of her being there disappeared as quickly as the realization that she was there to begin with.

~*~

Eight hours later, Hermione began to stir from the deep slumber she had been in and memories of what had occurred that morning came rushing into her thoughts and her eyes opened wide. When she took in the sight before her she couldn't help but smile the biggest smile of her life. Someone, probably Harry, had conjured two rocking chairs across from the bed, and in one sat James while in the other sat Lily. By the colors of the blankets, James was holding their son and Lily was ever-so-carefully holding onto her new little sister. Looking up, Lily exclaimed, "Mummy, it's a boy and a girl!"

"I know," she replied, her voice sounding scratchy. Harry walked over and knelt down next to her, directing a straw into her mouth so that she could drink some water.

"Congratulations honey!" came her Mum's voice, causing Hermione to look around the room. It seemed the midwife and nurse were gone now, but Lisa, Cole, Emily, Lily, James, her parents, and Harry were all there, watching her. And when she took in the appearance of the room her smile grew wider, if that were possible. Along with balloons and floating signs that read "Congratulations" were more balloons and signs that read "Happy Birthday Hermione!"

"I completely forgot it was my birthday," she said with a quiet laugh.

"That's no surprise after what you went through this morning," Harry replied. "It seems we'll have three birthdays to celebrate on September 19th from now on."

Handing Emily to Cole, Lisa walked over to James and took the baby from him while Harry did the same with Lily. As Hermione gingerly sat up and her parents piled the pillows behind her, Lisa placed their son in one arm while Harry settled their daughter into the other. As she sat there, looking from one beautiful, tiny face to the other, her eyes welled up with tears at the sheer happiness she was feeling. Looking around at everyone Lisa said, "Why don't we give them some time alone together?"

When she saw Lily and James go to follow the adults out of the room Hermione called, "James, Lily, why don't you stay here with your Dad and I?"

Their faces lit up like it was Christmas morning all over again as they walked back to the bed and crawled onto it causing Harry to caution, "Be careful not to move too much, your Mum is a bit sore right now."

James stopped where he was, next to his Dad, but Lily carefully crept up so that she was sitting right next to Hermione and said, "Mum only told me that there'd be a baby boy in my dream. I wonder why she didn't mention that I would get a sister too?"

"I don't know pumpkin," Harry replied honestly. "Maybe she wanted you to be surprised too."

"I know I was," Hermione said, smiling down lovingly at Lily. "Now we just need to give them names."

"My little brother is supposed to be named Harrison Jacob Potter," Lily stated, making the three of them turn to her.

"What do you mean he's supposed to be named that?" Harry asked.

Hermione, Harry, and James all stared at her in disbelief as she continued on, "Um, Mum just said that Hermione's baby was to be named Harrison Jacob Potter because it was his destiny...whatever that is."

Hermione looked to Harry to see what his reaction was, and she could practically see the wheels turning in his mind as he thought it over. Clearing her throat to get his attention she said, "I do kind of like the sound of it myself. If you don't mind, that is?"

"No...no I don't think I mind at all," he replied, surprising her a little bit. He had a look on his face as if he wanted to say more, but obviously it was something he didn't want to say in front of Lily and James. Smiling he said, "So now that Harrison has a name, what about our baby girl?"

"Don't look at me," Lily said, "I didn't even know about her."

Harry and Hermione laughed at the way she held up her hands as she said this and then Hermione looked down at her daughter who was sleeping peacefully. Taking in her delicate features she thought of something and looking at Harry asked, "Have they opened their eyes at all yet?"

"Yes," he said smiling. "They both have my eyes and your hair."

Staring at her daughter some more Hermione replied, "I believe her name should be Emma Jane Potter."

"What a pretty name," Lily said right away. "I like it."

"I do too," Harry said. "So, we have Harrison Jacob and Emma Jane Potter."

"Can James and I go tell everyone?" Lily asked excitedly.

"You sure can," Harry replied, watching her scamper off the bed, completely forgetting his warning to move slowly.

James stood up, but instead of going toward the door he walked closer to Hermione and bending down, he carefully wrapped his arms around her neck. Feeling like the most loved, luckiest woman in the world at that moment he made it even better when he said, "I love you Mum, and I love Harrison and Emma too."

"I love you too James," Hermione replied, her eyes shining bright. "And I know you're going to be a wonderful big brother."

With his cheeks turning pink with embarrassment, he just gave a quick nod of his head and made his way out the door to join Lily. Finally alone with the newest additions to their family Harry carefully lifted Harrison from her arm and held him. As she shifted Emma and cradled her in her arms she looked at Harry and said, "It's been a bit of a scary day, hasn't it?"

"It has," he replied, looking at her as Harrison stretched in his arms. Staring at her he said, "You had me right worried there for a while, I thought I was going to lose you too."

"I don't really remember all of what happened," she replied. "I do remember a strange man dressed in black walking in though."

"That was my old Potions Professor from Hogwarts, Severus Snape. We hated each other throughout my school years, I used to wonder what side he was really on, good or evil, and I still think he's evil. But after the war I saved him from going to Azkaban and today he paid his debt to me by saving your life. Now we're even and I'll hopefully never have to see him again."

They became quiet for a while, entranced by their new son and daughter, until Harry said, "She was here, you know."

"Who was here?" Hermione asked.

"Luna," he replied, hoping he wasn't hurting her feelings by bringing up his deceased wife on such a happy day. "After the babies had been delivered and I knew the three of you were going to be alright, I could feel her presence in the room. I can't explain it really, it was as if I suddenly knew that everything was going to be okay from here on out, and that she had helped protect you."

"She was here," Hermione replied, surprising him. "While I was pushing Harrison out it felt like a whisper's touch of a hand on my stomach, and it felt warm and painless, and when I looked down there wasn't anything there. I could feel it until right after I had pushed Emma out. Then right before I drifted off to sleep, I saw this strange mist in front of my eyes and in my head I could hear this soft, feminine voice say, 'Sleep now, they're all going to be okay...you'll be okay. I'll always be watching over you' and then it was gone."

"I knew she had the gift of sight," Harry said, and at Hermione's skeptical look he said, "I know you don't believe it, but I do. She knew about things that were going to happen before they happened. She just didn't tell me everything. But obviously she foresaw you and I, and this day, and knew that this was what fate had in store for her...and for us."

"She made the ultimate sacrifice, just like I was prepared to do today," she replied. "I guess I can understand her a little better now."

Sitting quietly once more, pondering the wonders and surprises of life, Harry carefully leaned in and kissed her lovingly. "Thank you so much for giving me these two precious gifts."

"And just think," she said with a teasing smile on her face, "we both got special presents, and it's my birthday."

~A/N2> I used Emma for the baby girls name on purpose because the name Emma Jane sounded so pretty to me. As for Harrison's name, I was trying to give him the same initials as Harry without making him Harry James Potter Jr. Well, imagine my surprise when I found out today after I had written this that Daniel Radcliffe's middle name is Jacob! Is that coincidence or what? :p I hope you enjoyed the chapter, and thank you so much for reading it and sticking with me during the long periods of time between updates :)