Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Lesson by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Lesson

jardyn39

The Final Lesson

by Jardyn39

Chapter 9 - The Bookshop

Hermione let go of the firm grip she had of Harry's arm. They were standing in a shallow grass hollow at the back of a rusting shed. All round them on three sides were thick bushes.

"This is handy," said Harry, looking around.

"Yes, all the local witches and wizards use this place to Apparate here. It's a bit tricky finding your way through the undergrowth, though."

She took hold of Harry's hand and led him out into a narrow pathway until they emerged into a quiet village street.

As they walked on, Harry could see ploughed fields and low green hills between the houses. Faint patches of blue could be seen between the white clouds directly above them, but darker rain clouds were gathering far off in the distance.

"How big is this village, Hermione?"

"Oh, it's very small. There isn't even a sub-post office. You have to go to the next village to post a parcel. There are only two shops. One is a grocers and the other is our bookshop."

"Where did you stay?"

"There's a small guest house down that way," she said pointing. "It was nice and clean, but the food was a little ordinary. We ate out most of the time, especially after Dad discovered the local pub did meals. Its rather nice actually and there's a carvery only a short drive down the road."

Hermione shivered and looped her arm around his, pulling herself closer.

"It is a little chilly, isn't it?" observed Harry.

"The shop isn't far."

"Are there many magical families living around here?"

"I honestly don't know, Harry. If it hadn't been a bookshop, we'd have never even looked in there. I was amazed when I read the titles they had out on display."

"What are the people like who run it?"

"I've only ever seen two people serving in there. They are a nice elderly couple. I assume they own the place."

"Your parents didn't have any trouble seeing the shop as well?"

"No, it was Dad who pointed it out."

"It just seems so strange," said Harry. "What if they sold something to a Muggle?"

"They do, Harry," Hermione replied with a laugh.

They turned a corner and Harry had a clear view down what appeared to be the oldest part of the village. The road was much wider here and right at the end, standing apart from the other buildings, was the bookshop.

"It's not exactly located to get a lot of passing trade, is it?"

"I suspect that's the idea, actually."

"It's practically outside the village," complained Harry, noting that the shop front was actually at right angles to the road. The wide even pedestrian area at the front quite looked out of place as the pedestrian pavement next to the road was narrow and even missing in places.

"Come on! They might have had some new books in."

Harry snorted and allowed Hermione to hurry him along. The road was longer than it looked, and as Harry was looking ahead he saw two figures emerge from a track opposite.

Harry immediately pulled Hermione to one side and fumbled inside his rucksack.

"What are you doing?"

"I just need to do something," he replied in an amused voice. "Look who had the same idea as you."

Hermione peered around the wall to look.

*

"It's doing it again!"

"Sorry?" asked Miss Alice.

"Look," he said, offering the large gold coin up for her to see.

"It might rain later," she read aloud, "You should have brought an umbrella."

"It keeps giving me stupid messages like that. I can't remember where I got this thing at all, you know? All I know is that I mustn't lose it. A few weeks ago it kept telling me jokes. Then it went all moody and starting wondering when she'd ever come home. Not that I ever found out who she actually was."

"May I see it?"

"Sure," he said, placing it in her palm. The message disappeared at once.

"Well, from the design on the other side, I think it's quite clear who gave it to you," Miss Alice said with a smile and looking around. "Here, take it back in case there are any more messages."

"So, who did give this to me?"

"A certain good friend of yours. You had your memory modified specifically so you would ensure the safety of Harry and his friends."

"Hang on," he said slowly, looking around. "Do you think he's watching us now?"

"I think it's highly likely. Let's proceed to the shop and see if anyone shows themselves."

Bateman felt the coin flash briefly with heat again.

He looked down to read the new message.

It now read, "Danger! Get o"

*

"Harry?"

"Shh!" demanded Harry, pulling Hermione further back. "Look over there," he whispered.

They were both concealed under the invisibility cloak that Harry had just pulled from their bag. They stood behind a low wall and looked along the high street.

"Oh, my," whispered Hermione. "We have to warn them!"

Harry had already retrieved his gold coin again and was etching a new message with his wand.

"Danger! Get out of sight. Ollivander here!"

Ollivander crossed the quiet village street at a diagonal. Moving at a brisk pace, he appeared to see the couple walking down one of the side turnings but did not follow nor did he take any interest in them. Instead he proceeded in the opposite direction.

As soon as he had gone, Harry ducked down and out from under the invisibility cloak.

"You follow Bear and Miss Alice. I'm going to follow Ollivander."

"Oh, Harry, are you sure? I'd rather come with you."

"Yes, I'm sure. They might be at risk. It'll be best if you made sure they stayed okay. Hurry up or you'll lose them."

"At least take the cloak?"

"No, you keep it," replied Harry, already several feet from Hermione. "I won't be long."

Soon Hermione's soft mutterings of disapproval were gone.

Harry turned down the side turning and spied Ollivander several yards in front of him and still walking away. Wearing a Muggle hat and coat that did not look at all out of place, Ollivander continued casually on.

He hurried so as not to lose him.

On both sides of the road were terraced housing with stone facades which were right on the edge of the pavement. All of the front doors were different styles and colours, but almost every stone step was painted in bright red.

The road dipped down and Harry found it easy to get within a few yards of Ollivander who seemed to be enjoying his walk. He even began whistling at one point.

Harry followed, making sure to keep behind the various cars and vans parked at the kerbside, until finally they reached the edge of the village.

*

Harry watched as Ollivander entered a derelict building with a wide concrete forecourt and the remains of a high canopy. Harry could see daylight clear through to the other side of the old garage which was the last building right at the very perimeter of the village.

Just before he disappeared from view, Ollivander turned to look behind him. Harry ducked down further, knowing that he couldn't get any closer from this direction without being seen. Even from inside, Ollivander would have an excellent view of his approach.

Deciding he would be too exposed if he followed directly, Harry decided to skirt around the outside.

He hurried through a narrow alley next to the adjacent building that he thought might end up in the right place behind the derelict building. He hurried, knowing Ollivander might Disapparate away at any time.

Breathing hard, Harry peered around the final corner, expecting to see Ollivander through one of the openings in the derelict building.

Ollivander was now standing just in front of the open rear doorway, as if he was waiting for someone. He turned and re-entered the building, presumably to check the approach at the front of the building.

Harry crossed the grass path in order to see in through one of the low rear windows.

Just as he got there, he slowed to make sure he wouldn't be heard. He paused for a moment underneath the cill of one of the open windows. The metal frame was still in place but all of the glass had long gone. He listened intently, but heard nothing. If he was quiet and stayed low enough, Ollivander might not see him even from the rear entrance. All he had to do was get behind the low wall that projected from the rear.

He made to move on to the next window which was open, not even having a frame any longer, but realised he had a slight problem.

His feet were firmly stuck to the ground.

Ollivander must have laid a trap for him.

Cursing inwardly, Harry looked up to see Ollivander standing directly in front of him, shaking his head slowly as if disappointed that Harry had allowed himself to be caught so easily.

Harry levelled his wand at Ollivander at once.

"Please," drawled Ollivander derisively. "Honestly, Mr Potter, it's no wonder the Dark Lord's followers had trouble following his orders not to harm you. You can barely walk without falling pray to some misfortune."

Harry fired at once, but his stunner merely hit the masonry wall and bounced back towards him. He collapsed backwards to avoid being hit by his own spell. Ollivander had disapparated away.

Furious with himself, Harry pointed his wand at his feet and muttered, "Finite!"

Thankfully, this worked and the soles of his feet were released.

*

Harry took his time walking back to the bookshop. He was trying his level best to calm down. He knew Hermione wouldn't be at all pleased that he'd allowed himself to be caught so easily.

The fact that Ollivander just let him free himself actually made things worse.

As it was only Hermione really believed his assertions that Ollivander was the Healer responsible for the all the atrocities they'd witnessed.

Actually, he reminded himself, Hermione only believed that Harry had told the truth about what he had witnessed. She still didn't necessarily accept that Harry was right.

This latest episode hardly marked Ollivander out as guilty either, much to his annoyance.

Just as he reached the last building before the bookshop, Harry came back to himself and stopped to take a long hard look around him before walking the last few yards to the shop. He knew this was a little late in the day. In the mood he had been in, fifty Death Eaters could have been following him and he'd have been none the wiser.

Thankfully, no-one at all was now in sight.

Harry finally reached the shop and peered in through the window. He couldn't see into the actual shop from there, but the display consisted of several incredibly tatty books. Mostly, they were well thumbed paperbacks with lurid covers.

He was about to head for the entrance door when something caught his eye.

He looked back and was astounded to see a tiny golden bird flying around inside the display window.

Then he realised that all of the tatty paperbacks had gone. In their place were two large open spell books, complete with moving diagrams of bubbling cauldrons. Between them was a golden statuette of Rowena Ravenclaw complete with billowing golden robes.

Harry looked carefully at the base they had come to see. It was a dark coloured cube with sides about five inches long. He couldn't tell what it was made from. From some angles it looked highly polished and from others it was just a dull finish.

He was so intent upon studying the statuette base that he hardly noticed the red book that had been propped up against the back of the display. Harry started as soon as he saw it. The book was bound in a faded red felt material that curiously was an exact match for the lining of the display case.

Harry headed for the door and pushed it open using the highly polished brass lever handle that looked rather out of place outside.

Inside he found he had barely enough room to enter and close the door again. All around the perimeter were bookshelves crammed with what looked like thousands of assorted second hand paperback books. There had to be at least twelve rows of shelves from floor to ceiling.

He turned in the narrow aisle to face one of the many shorter book cases which were all packed with books. These books looked newer and were arranged in sets, judging by the patterns their spines made.

Seeing a space ahead, Harry wound he way around the book cases to find a small serving counter which was completely deserted.

Wondering where the others were, Harry noticed a narrow open doorway that led off to another part of the shop towards the rear. As there was no door and the bookshelves extended onwards, he proceeded through.

Harry listened for any sign of activity, but there was none to be heard. Not wishing to call out, he decided to continue exploring around the shop. It had to be tiny, so he would be back in no time.

There was a short corridor with a wide assortment of pre-school learning books before he reached a tee junction. High up there were two arrowed cardboard signs handing from the ceiling with faded writing that included many corrections and crossings out. As direction signs they weren't much help to him at all.

Harry looked back the way he had just come and memorised it so he would know his way out. Then he turned and decided to investigate the right hand corridor first.

Not stopping to read any of the book titles, Harry went through sections dedicated to Hobbies, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Medicine. He skipped several annexes but after an extensive section on History, a small section on Economics and Accountancy he found himself back where he started.

All the while he had begun to get worried about Hermione, Bateman and Miss Alice.

Where on earth could they have got to?

Then he remembered the coin, except he was half sure that Hermione had it with her in the rucksack.

He searched through his pockets and found it.

Looking around to make sure he wasn't being watched he discretely etched a new message into the face of the coin.

"Are you okay? Where are you?"

At almost the very instant he'd finished the bookcase right in front of him slid open silently.

"Isn't this place great?" said a grinning Hermione.

*

Harry stepped through the opening and knew at once that he was inside a magical bookshop. The room he had just entered was far wider and longer than the space outside and the large rooflight above had to be several feet higher than the top of the uneven roof viewed from the front of the shop.

All around the perimeter of the room there was a wide mezzanine balcony and all the walls had deep shelves or glass fronted cabinets, all crammed with richly bound books.

In the middle if the room there were several comfortable chairs and reading desks.

But the thing that struck him the most was the feeling of spaciousness after the cramped corridors he had just come through.

Harry followed Hermione over to a pair of facing green leather couches where Bateman and Miss Alice were sitting uneasily.

"Hello, Miss Alice," said Harry smiling.

"Hello, Harry. It's wonderful to see you again. May I introduce you to a good friend of yours?"

Harry laughed and extended his hand to Bateman.

"John, this is Harry Potter," said Miss Alice.

"Hello, Bear," said Harry. "I'm glad you kept that coin I gave you, or I'd never have found you!"

Bateman shook Harry's hand but said uncertainly, "I'm sorry. I don't remember."

"I know," said Harry reassuringly.

They all sat down.

"I thought it best if we waited for you to arrive before we told each other why we were here, Harry," said Hermione.

Harry nodded.

"First, tell us about this Ollivander," said Bateman. "I don't remember him. Or at least, I don't think I do."

"Hermione has already told us about what you suspect about him," interrupted Miss Alice. "Following him on your own was unwise, Harry, especially given your suspicions."

Harry flushed slightly and said, "Well, he's gone now. He knew I was following me and he laid a trap."

"He let you go?" asked Hermione.

"Yes. Well, he didn't make any effort to keep me there."

"Harry, are you sure you're right about him?"

Harry shifted uncomfortably.

"I don't know why he just let me free myself. I know what it looks like but I also remember the look on Alison Weston's face before she died. I can't explain what Ollivander is up to, but I can't accept I was wrong about him. Maybe he just wanted to plant a seed of doubt in your minds."

"I wonder what he was doing here?" asked Miss Alice.

"We could ask Mr Weasley if he knows what magical activity goes on around here apart from this place," suggested Hermione.

Harry nodded and said, "Yes. He'll probably know who lives around here too. Perhaps Ollivander was visiting someone local."

"Anyway, let's talk about why we're here," said Bateman, sounding a little frustrated that he couldn't contribute to the conversation. "Mary, could you like to begin?"

"Mary?" said Harry and Hermione together.

Miss Alice smiled and nodded.

"I'm sorry. My name outside of secret bunkers is Mary. Mary Happell."

"Hello, Mary," said Harry with a smile. He had no idea that Miss Alice wasn't her real name.

"We've come in search of Colonel Falcon's Journal," Mary explained.

"You haven't found it yet?" asked Harry.

"We have only just started looking, to be honest. Both of us were suspected of being the traitor and for a very long time we suspected each other. We've only been working together on this for a short period."

"Falcon left us a message that we could find the Journal here," continued Bateman. "To be honest, we have no idea why he chose this place. Perhaps he had no idea this shop also had a line in magical books."

"You know? I do vaguely recall this village being mentioned in one of the reports that came through," said Mary. "There was some kind of incident that nobody could explain. Perhaps he got the inspiration from there."

"Um, where are the owners of this place?" asked Harry looking around. "We need to see if that statuette is genuine before we make an offer."

"They aren't always around," said Hermione. "Customers are asked to leave payment in the dish by the counter."

"Isn't that rather trusting?" observed Bateman.

"Well, most of the books out front don't have much value. All they ask is what the customer thinks the books are worth. People pay what they can afford."

"Aren't they tempted to pocket the cash as well?"

Hermione laughed and shook her head.

"For some reason the dish is always empty. Anything put in there just vanishes after a few moments."

"Well, do you think they'd mind if we opened their display case?" asked Harry. "The two spell books I saw in there looked very expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't protected the display window."

"Yes," agreed Hermione getting to her feet. "We should ask first."

She went over to another desk and picked up a tiny silver hand bell which she shook making a brief tinkling sound. Hermione placed the bell carefully back and returned.

"It will be a few moments," she said quietly. "They are rather elderly," she added in an undertone.

"Hopefully they can tell us where the Journal is," said Bateman.

The bookcase slid open and a smiling witch with wild silver hair entered.

"I'm so sorry to keep you waiting," she said. "Edward is just coming. How may we be of assistance?"

Harry got up.

"Aren't you?" began the elderly witch.

"Harry Potter," he answered with a smile and holding out his hand. "You have a wonderful bookshop, but I'm surprised you've got as many books left as you have. I was sure Hermione must have bought half your stock."

After a gentle handshake, the witch turned and smiled at Hermione.

"Welcome back, my dear. Won't you introduce me to your other friends?"