Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Lesson by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Lesson

jardyn39

The Final Lesson

by Jardyn39

Chapter 5 - Head of the Auror Department

Once more, Scrimgeour leaned heavily on Harry's shoulder as they walked slowly out of his office. As they got beyond the earshot of his security guards, Scrimgeour muttered, "They've even been kind enough to change all my regular security guards for new ones."

Harry nodded in understanding.

"We are about to attend a Ministry situation briefing. I imagine it will be much like the ones the Muggles conducted, only ours are generally based upon accurate information."

Harry ignored the slight, although he doubted very much if the Ministry had better information than Miss Alice had uncovered.

"There will be a report on the latest Auror activities as well as another group. Needless to say everything you hear will be in the strictest confidence, Harry."

"I understand. Who are this other group?"

"Well, for some time we suspected that the Muggles were working independently of our own efforts. I was concerned that if that was indeed the case, then the Death Eaters might infiltrate them and redirect their efforts against our interests."

"You've been spying on them?"

"Spying is a little strong, Harry. We just kept a distant eye towards their main activities when they strayed close to Wizarding areas. We've recently seen a significant increase in troop movements for no apparent reason."

"Was it you who broke into the secure records stores?"

"I don't have day - to - day control over the group's activities, but to answer your question, no, we did not."

"You're sure about that?"

"I have to believe the assurances I have been given, Harry."

Harry frowned slightly. Scrimgeour was telling him that he didn't really know if this mysterious group had any involvement or not.

They continued down the wide corridor until they reached a polished timber door. Percy skirted around them and opened the door before showing them inside with a small bow.

This particular door had been closed when he had passed it earlier.

Harry took a few steps inside and paused to look around. The room was enormous, even bigger than Scrimgeour's office.

Scrimgeour turned left and limped over to another door in the same wall as they had come in from. Arranged on either side of this door were a number of seats.

As they approached, the door opened to reveal a smaller meeting room that should have been in the corridor they had just walked down.

"I'll wait here for you, Minister," said Percy.

Scrimgeour nodded silently and entered.

Harry followed him over to the centre of the room, fully aware that whispered conversations had just come to an abrupt halt as soon as he had entered the room.

Scrimgeour invited Harry to take a seat at the large meeting table while he walked around to the centre on the other side to take his seat.

Harry didn't sit though. After a long moment he realised that he was still standing, although the shock that Scrimgeour could be so insanely stupid could so easily have caused him to fall over at that point.

"You'll know Delores Umbridge, of course," said Scrimgeour ignoring the blazing animosity that each of them directed towards the other. "Next to her is Malemo lately attached to the International Magical Office of Law and then there's Ignatius and Johnson, both from the Department of Magical Law Enforcement."

Harry managed to nod to each of them as they were introduced, even though they barely acknowledged him. Ignatius and Johnson nodded down at their papers while Malemo just ignored him completely.

Of the three, Malemo looked the most intimidating with short greying hair and a hard emotionless face. Unlike his two colleagues, Malemo looked physically fit.

"Absco Tardov is right at the end, although that isn't his real name obviously."

"Sorry?" said Harry in confusion, momentarily distracted from his anger both at Umbridge and the rudeness of the other three.

"Well, his real identity needs to be kept a secret for the sake of his family."

"No," said Harry patiently, "I meant who are you talking about?"

"Ah, yes. Absco likes to stay under an invisibility cloak for his visits to the Ministry."

"You're kidding right?" said Harry with a laugh.

"No, not at all," said Scrimgeour seriously as Harry quickly raised his wand and fired at the empty chair at the end of the table.

Suddenly a hand appeared holding a wand to produce a shield charm. The chair fell backwards with a thud.

"Potter!" yelled Scrimgeour. "I didn't invite you here to take pot shots at my staff!"

"How do you even know he's who you think he is?" said Harry taking aim at the chair again. The hand holding the wand had disappeared once more.

Harry knew full well that Tardov would have moved away from the chair by now. Giving him time to skirt around the table behind him, Harry turned quickly and muttered, "Fumo Estus!"

A jet of hot steam blasted out from the end of his wand. Just before they heard a painful yelp made by Tardov, the steam revealed the outline a crouched figure.

Harry stepped forward and tugged the invisibility cloak off him and threw it aside to reveal a painfully thin and gaunt looking wizard. Harry guessed he was around thirty years old but his dry, grey skin made him appear much older.

Tardov looked at Harry with pure malice in his eyes. Nursing a badly burned hand he silently turned and walked back to his chair.

"Harry, if you've quite finished, please take a seat," said Scrimgeour firmly.

"You're not actually going to let him stay?" said Tardov incredulously.

"Yes, I believe I am. Do I need to remind you that I told you what Potter would probably do?"

The look on Tardov's face told Harry that Scrimgeour had predicted his reaction perfectly.

"Sit down, Absco," ordered Scrimgeour. "By the way, you look terrible."

Tardov sat but continued to glare at Harry along with Umbridge.

Rather strangely, the other three wizards sitting at the table were taking no interest in him at all. Harry wondered why this could be. Perhaps they just didn't want to get involved.

Scrimgeour adjusted his wire rimmed spectacles and said, "Right. To business. Absco, will you report on your progress please?"

"No," Tardov answered at once. "I'm not saying anything within earshot of Potter. He will betray your confidence, Minister."

"He has agreed to maintain our confidences," said Scrimgeour reassuringly.

"You mean he lied to you."

"We agreed-"

"No, Minister, you agreed."

"We are all on the same side here."

"Potter isn't on our side. He's on his side."

Harry stood and said angrily, "I didn't ask to come here. It seems to me that you'd be far more comfortable discussing these matters on your own."

"Harry, please," pleaded Scrimgeour.

He hesitated, but not because of what Scrimgeour had said. Harry had just realised something. Of the six people with him in the room, only Scrimgeour, Tardov and Umbridge were prepared to look him in the eye. The other three were looking anywhere but at him, despite all the commotion he had caused.

Did they suspect he might be a Legilimens?

"Minister," said Umbridge in her high, sickly sweet voice. "It would be most imprudent to allow young Mr Potter to hear everything Absco might wish to report. After all, we do have to consider Harry is still practically a child. These are matters for grown-ups, after all."

She smiled sweetly straight at Harry before continuing, "Indeed, I'm not at all sure Harry truly understands how important it would be to keep our confidences. It wouldn't be fair to expect him not to blurt out everything he hears, even though he wouldn't understand a word what it was we were talking about."

Tardov snorted loudly.

"Thank you, Delores," said Scrimgeour dryly. "Your comments are as unhelpful as ever. Harry has respected the trust placed in him by the Muggle Prime Minister and his team, and I have every confidence that he will respect ours; even though you are hardly endearing yourselves to him at this moment."

Harry was rather taken aback by these words of support.

"Delores," continued Scrimgeour, "please give your report instead."

"Minister," warned Umbridge, but Scrimgeour cut across her.

"For Merlin's sake, Delores!" he shouted angrily. "Everything you have to report will be in tonight's Evening Prophet, won't it?"

"Well, yes", she admitted with the faintest of blushes colouring her cheeks. "You do still want our successes publicised?"

"What successes have you had?" Harry asked, failing to disguise the incredulity in his voice.

A flash of annoyance passed over her toad like features and Harry found himself sitting down to listen.

"For your information, Potter," she began, "since my appointment as Head of the Auror Department, we-"

"Head of the Auror Department? What do you know about being an Auror?" asked Harry at once, noticing that Scrimgeour too was now avoiding his eye, preferring to stare down at his papers. Umbridge was looking defiant as she continued.

"Only enough to have brought more success to Auror activities in the few months I have been in charge, than for the entire time He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has been back. I do not have to be an Auror to tell them what to do."

Harry looked at Scrimgeour in astonishment.

"It's true, Harry. We haven't publicly announced her appointment in order to protect her personal security, but since Delores took over we've arrested and charged an extraordinary number of suspects."

"How?"

"Well," answered Umbridge, a little more calmly, "I'm not prepared to give too many operational details, even to you Minister. I can confirm that most new enquires are the direct result of questioning existing suspects. It is actually thoroughness, rather than pure detective work that has increased my department's effectiveness.

"However, I believe that by giving the Aurors out in the field clear guidelines, whilst allowing them to work freely within those guidelines, has been a significant innovation."

"So, how many prosecutions have you got?"

"That is a matter of public record," she replied flatly. "The Auror Department cannot guarantee that a defendant will be found guilty. It is simply not appropriate to measure Auror performance by the number of prosecutions."

Harry actually found himself nodding in agreement, although he wondered why she hadn't just answered his question.

As Umbridge read out the day's raids and arrests that would also be reported in the Evening Prophet, Harry burned with curiosity. How on earth had Umbridge, of all people, managed to find success?

Of course, he was pleased; for the Aurors if not for her.

If they were gaining ground on Voldemort and his supporters, then that had to be a good thing.

Even so, a little shudder ran through Harry has it occurred to him that she might still be in charge should he ever wish to join the Aurors.

As an ambition, that now seemed further away than ever before.

*

When it became clear that none of the other's wished to report after Umbridge finished her briefing, Harry made an excuse that he needed to get away and left the meeting.

This time Scrimgeour did not object. He merely thanked Harry for attending and asked him to consider their words earlier.

Umbridge left the meeting at the same time, saying she needed to approve the press releases to be sure of meeting the Evening Prophet's printing deadlines. It occurred to Harry that the printing deadline must be very early, but then he didn't know how many press releases she had to check.

Just before he closed the door, Harry took another long look at Scrimgeour's four remaining colleagues.

There was no doubt in his mind that Scrimgeour's main motive in inviting him there was for Harry to see these people for himself. If these people really were his main suspects, it occurred to Harry that Scrimgeour was playing a dangerous game. On the other hand, he couldn't really see Ignatius or Johnson as Death Eaters. They just seemed too passive.

He also began to wonder if his instinctive dislike of Tardov was entirely fair. That just left him confused about who he should regard as the potential sympathisers Scrimgeour had suspected.

In the larger room, Percy was saying goodbye to Umbridge who just scowled at him and then hurried off.

"Percy, how well do you know the people in there?"

"Not particularly well at all," Percy admitted, sitting down again. Harry sat next to him.

"Let's see," continued Percy. "Johnson is the new Magical Law Enforcement Squad Department Head. He was Deputy there for decades. He got promotion when old Oblander retired a couple of months ago."

"Was this Oblander due for retirement?"

"Long overdue," replied Percy in an undertone. "Actually, it was rather a surprise when he finally agreed to retire. I thought he'd only leave in his coffin. Father always thought highly of him, but few others did."

"What about the others?"

"Well, Ignatius is Head of Wizengamot administration services. They do all the legal paperwork. I worked directly for him for a few weeks before Minister Fudge asked me to join his private office."

"What's he like?"

"Ignatius? I've always thought of him as efficient but rather secretive. I must admit he was rather put out when Minister Fudge over-ruled his objections to my being transferred."

"What about Malemo?"

"I don't know anything about him, I'm afraid. He's always been a very senior figure, but never attached to any particular department. He has always got copies of anything he wanted to see. I doubt if there is anything going on that he doesn't know about."

"And Tardov?"

"Who?"

"Never mind. That's not his real name anyway. So, these men and Umbridge were the five who had access to the Kent Archive?"

"Oh, no, Harry," said Percy at once.

"Delores Umbridge does have access, but she and I are just two of dozens who can use the Archive. No, the only people with the authority to intercept and change messages were, Minister Scrimgeour, Malemo, Ignatius, and Johnson."

"That's only four. Who was the fifth?"

"That would be Pendell," said Percy. "He's an assistant to Malemo. He does not have authority, but the Minister suspected he may have gained knowledge how to do it."

"Can you describe him to me?" asked Harry, wondering if Tardov could actually be Pendell.

"I haven't seen him for ages, actually. I suppose he could be described as middle aged. He is rather portly, but in a distinguished way."

Harry nodded, deep in thought.

"Percy, why isn't your Dad involved with these meetings? I mean, he's a senior member of the Ministry isn't he?"

Percy shifted uncomfortably.

"I think there are two reasons why he isn't involved," said Percy quietly. "Firstly, I believe Minister Scrimgeour is trying to keep certain parties separate from involvement with certain other parties."

Harry nodded.

"That makes sense," agreed Harry, "if Scrimgeour doesn't trust some of the people here."

"The second reason is why father's absence does not look out of place. You see, Harry, although father's recent promotion has seen him rise a rung or two, he still isn't seen as a very senior member of the Ministry."

"Mm," replied Harry, recognising that Percy for once wasn't belittling his Dad.

They sat quietly for a moment.

"Um, Harry? Are you ready to leave yet?"

"Actually, I thought I'd go and see Kingsley. I'm dying to know what he really thinks of having that old cow as his boss!"

"I do wish you'd reconsider your opinion of Delores Umbridge, Harry. She really has worked wonders for her Department."

Harry grinned at him and asked, "So, are you two dating, or what?"

Percy went very red and spluttered, "No, Harry. You know I'm still seeing Penny. We've been considering announcing our engagement."

Harry laughed and nodded.

"I'm sorry, Percy. I'm sure Fred and George have been influencing me!"

"Anyway," said Percy, composing himself, "Harry, when you leave use the visitor's entrance and go up in the telephone box. I'll meet you at street level in half an hour. Okay? I'll hand you that file then. I don't want anyone to see us," he added in barely a whisper.

"Half an hour will be fine, Percy. Thanks."

*

Harry strode from the lift lobby towards the Auror Department, pausing to look interestedly at the tornado putting on a fine display in one of the underground windows.

He turned around and entered through the pair of closed doors.

Just on the other side of the door he paused and looked around, thinking how little had changed since the time Mr Weasley had brought him here for his trial.

He walked over to Kingsley's cubicle, and was a little surprised to find it vacated.

Gone were all the pictures and articles about of Sirius that had adorned every inch of space on the cubicle walls.

Harry hadn't expected the photos of Sirius to still be there, but he had expected some evidence of what Kingsley was working on now.

Of course, he realised as he moved to the next cubicle, that was a while ago now.

Harry remembered how Lupin had described Kingsley. If he was on some assignment somewhere, perhaps he didn't need to maintain a desk here.

He frowned at the next empty cubicle and moved on to the next, and then the next.

Harry failed to find anyone in any of the cubicles. Indeed, they were all completely empty. No files or personal effects remained at all.

He was beginning to wonder if he had got the right floor. Could Umbridge have moved them but failed to update the signs.

Harry snorted to himself, wondering if Delores had thought of such an audacious plan.

Let's move floor and leave the signs. You-Know-Who will never think of that!

Harry thought he heard something and walked along to the cleaner's cupboard and Mr Weasley's old office from when he worked for the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office.

As he approached he remembered that Perkins shared the tiny office with Mr Weasley. Perhaps he might know where the Aurors were to be found.

To his consternation, Harry found the office packed full of old junk. Clearly, Perkins had moved out as well.

Harry turned, intending to leave, when he noticed that the notice on store room opposite was missing.

Cautiously, he opened the door, and was surprised to see that someone was using it as an office.

For a moment, he thought that Perkins had commandeered the larger room. Then he was the bits of frilly lace and ribbon that adorned the shelves.

Harry's shoulder's sagged as his eyes fell upon the plate with the gambling kittens.

Umbridge must be using this as her office, he realised.

He was about to close the door when he saw, on her desk, a highly polished timber name place. It was like a more elaborate version of the one she'd had when she had been appointed Headmistress in his fifth year.

"May I help you, Mr Potter?" said Umbridge loudly as she hurried towards him from the entrance doors.

"Um," said Harry as she approached with a stack of files under her arm. "I was hoping to see Kingsley Shacklebolt."

"Auror Shacklebolt is away on Department business at the present time."

"When will he be back?"

"I'm afraid I cannot tell you that. Please understand that some of the Auror assignments are very dangerous these days. Even seemingly innocuous information like when people will report in here could be used against my personnel."

"Perhaps you could give him a message from me?"

"Oh, very well," Umbridge said sighing deeply. "Well, that is, provided you will let me into my office," she added sharply.

Harry started and realised that he had been blocking the doorway.

In an awkward moment, he shuffled out of her way.

"It seems very quiet around here," said Harry conversationally.

Umbridge looked up and narrowed her eyes. "Noisy offices tend to be inefficient."

"Really?"

"What was your message?"

"I was wondering," asked Harry, "just how many prosecutions have there been. You didn't answer my question before."

"As I said, my Department is only responsible for arresting and charging suspects. We do not prosecute."

"I know that. I still don't know how many prosecutions there have been."

"Regrettably, there have been none."

"None?"

"Your message, Mr Potter?"

"But you're supposed to have had more success than anyone!" exclaimed Harry, completely ignoring her prompting. "How many people have you sent for trial by the Wizengamot?"

Umbridge threw down her quill and stood.

"Good day to you, Mr Potter," she said angrily. "I do not have time to waste with you."

Harry shook his head and left.

As he passed the empty cubicles a second time, he wondered what was going on with the Auror Department and whether he could risk trying to get a message to Shacklebolt.

*

By the time Harry had got back to the Visitor's entrance, he had decided not to attempt to contact Kingsley.

If Kingsley was under cover he wouldn't thank Harry sending him an owl just to satisfy his curiosity.

No, he decided to talk everything through with Hermione, instead. At the thought of her returning at long last, he found himself smiling stupidly as he waited for the telephone box to descend.

Harry blushed seeing Eric the Watch Wizard eyeing him. Eric had been kind enough to show Harry how to call the lift since Harry had never actually left by that route before.

"It's only a telephone box," Eric said seriously. "You want to watch yourself, mate. Arthur Weasley has a look like that when he watches it come down as well."

Harry laughed and said, "Well, it is quite interesting."

Eric had a look that said quite plainly that he was seriously considering calling St Mungos and asking if they had a bed spare in one of the mental care wards.

Harry thanked him again and stepped into the red call box.