Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Lesson by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Lesson

jardyn39

The Final Lesson

by Jardyn39

Chapter 2 - Breakfast

Harry Potter sighed deeply and looked out over his morning edition of the Daily Prophet. Across the kitchen table Kreacher sat looking at him. Dobby's chair was empty.

Harry frowned. Normally Kreacher enjoyed continuing doing whatever it was to annoy him, but this time the house elf was sitting quietly with an all too innocent look on his face.

Kreacher smiled slightly and pointed towards where Harry was sitting.

There was another gurgling noise which prompted Harry to lift his paper up.

"Phryne!"

Harry threw the paper aside and grabbed the phoenix chick out from his bowl of cornflakes.

"Kreacher, why didn't you warn me?" complained Harry as he grabbed a tea towel and dried off the bedraggled bird. The milk was steaming hot.

"Kreacher assumed Master wanted his cereal milk warming up."

"There seems to be a lot more milk in my bowl than I remember pouring."

"Master did not say he did not want more milk," said Kreacher calmly. "Master's bird seemed to like it."

Harry gently stroked Phryne. The baby phoenix coughed and spluttered, but appeared to recover quickly. To his relief, Harry soon heard the chick's familiar chirrups.

He wrapped Phryne carefully in the tea towel and pushed her to the centre of the wide table.

"Hermione would kill me if anything happened to her, you know that, don't you?"

"Miss Hermione seems very attached to the bird," observed Kreacher.

"Yes, so I'd really appreciate it if you didn't drown Phryne before she gets back," said Harry, adding, "or at any time," just to be sure.

"She probably wishes she had taken the bird with her. Miss Hermione knows how accident prone Master is sometimes."

"Yes, but Phoenixes aren't very common where she's gone. She and her parents are staying in a Muggle hotel."

"When will Miss Hermione be back?"

"Soon, I hope. Her parents weren't too sure how long they could stay before going back into hiding."

"They must be having a good time. Miss Hermione hasn't written very often, has she?"

"Well, I hope they are having a good time. I told Hermione not to bother to write every day. She should use her time to spend it with her parents while she can, after all."

Harry did his best to keep his voice even. He had written to Hermione gently suggesting she needn't write to him quite so often, but when her letters became less frequent and much shorter, he did had begun to feel a little resentful that she had taken his advice so readily.

He looked up to see Kreacher studying him intently.

Phryne then distracted them both by struggling free of the tea towel. Flapping her tiny wings, Phryne waddled towards the middle of the table. After only a few steps Phryne, as usual, stumbled and a ball of feathers rolled towards the marmalade.

Phryne was now just over three months old but looked hardly any different from the tiny bird that hatched during the raid on the Archive. Harry thought she was a little bigger, but she remained as ungainly and flightless as ever.

Harry reached out and helped the chick to her feet, wondering if she would ever grow up enough to fly in his lifetime. Indeed, walking properly would be a worthwhile achievement.

He had quizzed Hermione on how long she thought it would be before Phryne looked anything like Fawkes had.

Hermione had just chided him, telling him that Phryne would grow up in her own good time.

Guided by Harry's outstretched arm, Phryne suddenly flapped her wings and ran quickly towards him.

Kreacher sniggered loudly as Harry reached for the tea towel yet again. Wiping the milk splashes from his face, Harry looked down.

Phryne was once again sitting amongst his corn flakes.

He was about to rescue her again when Phryne began singing. Harry sighed and said, "Well, so long as you're happy sitting in there, you may as well stay there."

Phryne's singing never failed to move him. She wasn't yet nearly as good as Fawkes was, but she was definitely improving.

*

Harry Apparated to his usual spot just inside of the front gate at the Burrow, and was pleased to see that unlike over London, the weather was overcast but dry.

He walked over to the kitchen door through the chickens that were intent upon pecking up every bit of the grain that someone had thrown down for them.

"Hello?" said Harry into the open door.

Seeing Ron sat at the table, he opened the lower half of the barn door and entered.

Ron was looking quite lost in thought and jumped when he realised that Harry was grinning at him from the other side of the table.

"Sorry, Harry," said Ron sheepishly. "I was miles away."

"Evidently," Harry replied with a smile.

"Tea?"

"Great, thanks."

Ron picked up his wand and waved it at various points around the kitchen. Soon two steaming cups of tea landed between them on the table.

"How are things going?" asked Harry, who hadn't seen Ron for a few days.

Ron made an indistinct grumbling noise and scowled into his tea cup.

He took a sip before saying, "I'm not sure how long I can stand working for Fred and George."

Harry, who was used to Ron's complaints, nodded sympathetically.

"I always seem to get the dogsbody jobs. When I'm not out collecting weird materials or delivering stuff, I'm always given the awkward customers to deal with."

"They obviously know they can rely on your tact and temperament," offered Harry.

Ron snorted and shook his head.

"No. I'm sure they just want to keep me away from their more interesting stuff. You know they've locked off their offices and stock rooms now, don't you?"

"I didn't realise. Still, its good they are taking security seriously, isn't it?"

"Harry, the reason you haven't noticed anything is that you have free run of the place. I never get to see anything about what they are developing. Of course, they never seem to have a problem with telling you!"

"There's not a lot to tell, actually," admitted Harry.

"I'm their brother!"

"Look," said Harry patiently, "all they told me last time is that their prototypes had all failed and that I'd wasted my gold again."

"Oh," said Ron. "I suppose that would explain why they were so touchy when I asked."

Just then Hedwig flew in through the open door and dropped a letter onto the table before landing next to Harry.

"At last!" cried Harry, stroking Hedwig. "I wondered when Hermione would write again. You look tired, Hedwig. Have you been flying all night?"

Hedwig cooed tiredly and affectionately nibbled his fingers.

"Go and get some sleep," whispered Harry. Hedwig took off at once and headed for her favourite resting spot in the roof of Mr Weasley's junk shed.

Harry picked up the package from the table and pulled the ribbon binding Hermione's two letters. He handed Ron's sealed envelope to him.

"Thanks," said Ron as they both opened their letters and began to read.

*

Ron snorted and looked up from his letter.

"She says we still have to practice hard even though she's not here to remind us."

Harry smiled and said, "Yeah. She says much the same thing here."

"She couldn't know that we haven't, could she?"

"I'm not sure I want to take that chance, Ron," Harry replied with a grin.

"Fair point," Ron agreed standing up and stuffing his letter into his pocket. "She says she's found a small bookshop close to where they are staying, so it looks like we'll need to put up some more shelves."

"Really? She didn't say that in my letter. That probably means I wouldn't approve of her going in there alone."

"I can go up there if you want?"

"No, she'd ask you if she felt there was any risk."

Ron picked up his wand and with a short flick, their cups were washing themselves in the sink.

"Usual warm up?" he asked, heading for the door.

Harry nodded and followed Ron out into the garden. Along the way, he mentally prepared himself.

While Hermione was away, they had begun their practises with a quick duel or two. Both of them employed hexes against each other that were stronger and potentially more dangerous than Hermione would approve of.

Both of them actually preferred this and more often than not, their practise duel would go on at the expense of the carefully prepared lesson plans left by Hermione.

By the time Harry stepped onto the damp grass and took out his wand, Ron had assumed his preferred duelling stance. Ron stood looking quite relaxed with his wand held casually at his side. He looked almost nonchalant to the extent that even Harry had been caught off guard on a number of occasions.

Ron had only just begun using this new stance, and Harry wondered sometimes where he had got the idea from.

The trick, Harry realised, was to watch Ron's eyes.

While he was looking directly at his opponent, Ron rarely attacked; and when he did, he wasn't at all confident. As Ron's most frequent dueller, Harry could defend himself easily when they had eye contact. He just knew Ron too well to be deceived.

When Ron was looking slightly off to Harry's side, as he was now, Harry found it much more difficult to beat Ron.

As they both trusted each other not to take advantage, both of them had dispensed with the traditional bow to each other.

Ron nodded his head almost imperceptivity to indicate he was ready.

Harry did likewise and the duel began.

*

Harry lay on his back in a slightly dazed state for some moments. He was only vaguely aware of Ron coming over to him.

He realised that he must have been suffering the effects of the hex, because when he later thought back he had the impression that Ron had been standing over him for some time, toying with his wand and looking down at him with the coldest of looks. It was as if Ron was deciding whether to hex him again as he lay there helpless.

"Harry?"

With a supreme effort Harry summoned a weak moan and managed to lift his head off the grass. He felt Ron help him sit up and propped him against a garden stool he'd brought over.

"Wow, Ron. What was that?"

Harry couldn't recall the incantation that Ron had used. All he could remember was an electric blue light hitting him. He had just about put up a shield charm in time, but it hadn't been very effective at all.

"Sorry, Harry. I used that hex without thinking. I'd have got you up sooner but I thought you'd be more comfortable on the ground for a bit."

"What was it, though?"

"It's called the Rodium Hex. I read about it some time ago but I only found out how to cast it yesterday. I suppose it was fresh in my mind."

"Rodium? I never heard of it. Where did you find out about it?"

"Well, during my lunch break, which is never actually anywhere near lunchtime because Fred and George say they are too busy then, I've been having a good look around Diagon Alley. I reckon I've got to know every shop now and most of the regular visitors by sight, anyway."

Harry nodded, still feeling the effects of the hex but very interested in what Ron had to say.

"Anyway, I've also been going down Knockturn Alley to have a look around."

Harry frowned at once and Ron quickly continued.

"No, Harry. Everyone does it. Most of the people who actually work in Diagon Alley go down there at lunchtimes to avoid the shoppers. Everything's much cheaper too, if you know where to look.

"I normally go down there with Green. He works in Quality Quidditch Supplies now. You remember him? He left Hogwarts a couple of years ago. He was in Ravenclaw."

Harry couldn't honestly say he did remember Green, but he gave a small nod so Ron would continue.

"We found this small sandwich bar. It looks terrible from the outside but the food isn't half bad and the price is a fraction of The Leaky Cauldron. For only five Knuts you can get-"

"You were telling me how you learnt that hex," interrupted Harry.

"Hm?" asked Ron, his train of thought now clearly on what he could buy for five Knuts. "Oh, yeah. Sorry. We were in there a few weeks ago when a couple of wizards had this fight."

"A fight?"

"Well, it's that kind of place, Harry."

"Sure, Ron. Go on?"

"The fight they were having started because one was boasting he could do the Rodium Hex and the other one didn't think he could."

"I guess the fight was over quite quickly, then?"

"Not really. You see he couldn't actually do it after all."

"Oh."

"No, the fight was actually stopped when another wizard had his drink spilled in all the ruckus. That's quite a serious thing. Anyway, this wizard decided to show them both how the Rodium Hex was supposed to be performed."

"Who was he?"

"No idea. He left almost at once after. Haven't seen him before nor since, but obviously I decided that if I could learn how to perform the Rodium Hex myself it might come in handy."

"So," said Harry slowly, "if he didn't tell you how to perform the Hex, how did you learn it?"

"Didn't I say?" asked Ron infuriatingly. "I learned about it yesterday."

Harry rubbed his forehead, wishing his head would clear.

"I thought I'd really hurt you," said Ron, helping Harry to his feet. "Your Shield Charm blocked most of the effects. I imagine that's why your limbs are still attached."

"So, how do you perform the Rodium Hex?" asked Harry, not quite taking in what Ron had just said.

"Not today, Harry," said Ron seriously. "No offence, but right now I could beat you with a tickling charm."

"True," agreed Harry, realising that his legs were still very shaky.

*

"This isn't entirely a social visit, Harry," Lupin said pleasantly. "I've been charged to bring you an olive branch," he added with a small smile.

They were sitting alone in the living room at the Burrow having tea. Harry had recovered enough from Ron's hex to see that Lupin looked terrible. His clothes were shabbier than ever and he looked pale and drawn. Although Lupin had dismissed his concerns, Harry regretted that his visits were so infrequent.

Harry frowned and asked, "Who from?"

Lupin chuckled and answered, "Someone who wants a favour."

"Well, I'll do anything you want, you know that."

"Thank you, Harry, but I believe it would be prudent to hear a little more before you decide."

Harry nodded and offered Lupin the small plate of biscuits.

Lupin took a rich tea biscuit and placed it on his saucer.

"I should first tell you," continued Lupin lightly, "that I happened across Kingsley the other day."

"Really?" said Harry interestedly. "I tried to contact him a short while ago but I was told he was on assignment and that it might be difficult for him to contact me."

"Yes, well he was certainly in a hurry to get back to whatever he's up to."

"Oh, I hope he didn't go to too much trouble. I didn't want to talk to him about anything urgent."

"I suspect I spoke to him before you tried to contact him, Harry. I'm sure he would have mentioned it otherwise."

Harry nodded.

"Kingsley had a cryptic message for me. He seemed to know that I was about to be contacted by another party, and asked me to tell you to be on your guard. Specifically, he said for you to be cautious but receptive."

"Cautious but receptive?"

"Those were his exact words."

"I see," said Harry. "Did he say anything else?"

"Well, there was one thing. I must admit, I still don't know what he meant. Just as we parted he grinned at me and said, Harry'll be furious when he finds out, but he'll see the funny side eventually, I'm sure."

"Have you any idea what he meant?"

"I can't say that I have."

"How did he look?"

"Tired and in need of a hot bath, actually. He refused any hospitality, though."

Harry sighed and said, "I suppose there's not much we can do to help him, is there?"

"Nothing at all, Harry. I'm sure he would ask if he really needed anything."

They sat in silence for a long while before Lupin cleared his throat lightly and said, "A couple of days after seeing Kingsley, I had a visit from the Ministry of Magic."

Harry frowned.

"I must say, I wasn't terribly pleased to see them."

Harry's frowned deepened.

Lupin nodded unsmiling and said, "Yes, they were considerate enough to seek me out while I was in the company of my fellow Werewolves. Broad daylight too, if you please."

"No way," breathed Harry.

"Indeed," agreed Lupin. "Now they all suspect that I'm some kind of informant for the Ministry. That really wasn't why I've spend almost a year living like I have. I'm not so much concerned about my own safety, you understand?"

Harry nodded at once.

"How could they have been so stupid?"

"They were bearing a message from the Minister of Magic, no less."

"What was the message," asked Harry, adding, "If you don't mind me asking."

Lupin smiled again and said, "Well, they wanted me to come here and ask you something."

"Scrimgeour can go take a running jump!" said Harry forcibly.

Lupin laughed and said, "Yes, they suspected you might react that way."

Harry scowled and asked, "So this something is what Kingsley wanted me to be cautious but receptive about, is it?"

"Indeed. The Minister wants to meet with you. I took the liberty of informing them that you would be highly unlikely to agree if the meeting was in any way publicised."

"Too right," agreed Harry. "Thanks. What do you think he wants?"

"I honestly don't know."

"What do you think I should do?"

"Firstly, I would recommend that you talk the whole thing over with Ron and Hermione before you agree to anything."

Harry nodded.

"Secondly," said Lupin, before hesitating.

"Go on," prompted Harry gently.

"Well, I was going to say that Dumbledore always said our strengths came out of unity. He was remarkably tolerant of the Ministry, precisely because of that belief."

Harry nodded.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to listen to what he's got to say."

Lupin smiled.

"I do have one other message," said Lupin.

Harry looked up, expecting him to repeat, "Wotcher 'Arry!"

Instead Lupin said, "Professor McGonagall asked me to impress upon you that you still need to progress your education and asked me to remind you of her offer to teach you."

Harry chuckled and nodded.

"I've been meaning to give her a call. I suppose I should be glad she didn't just send me a howler."

"I suspect they'll start coming shortly," agreed Lupin with a smile.