Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Lesson by jardyn39
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Lesson

jardyn39

The Final Lesson

by Jardyn39

Chapter 4 - Best Behaviour

"John, are you sure about this?" asked Mary uncertainly.

"Yes. I need this dressing changed. I didn't do it last night and who knows when the next time we'll be able to do it."

"This place is hardly the most hygienic."

"If you're too squeamish to do it, just say so. Ow!"

"Keep your head still!" demanded Mary as she picked the sticky plasters off. "I suppose one thing to be said for close-cropped hair is that wounds like this are easier to dress."

"Yes, that and the fact that I'm always in fashion."

Mary laughed but still gave him a gentle slap on the back of his neck.

"Ergh!" she said as she exposed his wound. "It's still bleeding. You really should go to a hospital."

"You know that's not possible. How long is the cut?"

"The skin is torn only about an inch or so, but it looks deep."

"Any sign of infection?"

"No, and the skin is healthy but bruised," she said, dabbing the blood away with alcohol soaked gauze.

"Good. That's because the blood is flowing freely. You know what you need to do," he said, offering up the tray he had prepared earlier.

"I can't do this!"

"Fine," said an annoyed sounding Bateman putting down the tray and picking up the sterilised needle and tread. He brought the needle up to the wound and felt gingerly where he should try to aim for.

"How close am I?"

"Nowhere near."

"Well, guide my hand to where I should start."

Mary tried but in the end said, "Oh, give it here," and took the needle and made the first stitch. When she'd done she stood straight and stretched, catching Bateman's grimace in the mirror.

He didn't say a word and Mary knew he was no stranger to pain. Wherever he went to fend off the effects, or at least cope with them, he was there now.

She hurried to complete the stitching.

*

Harry looked around the bustling Visitor's Entrance down in the Ministry of Magic. He was sitting in a wicker chair facing what remained of the Fountain of Magical Brethren and thinking how glad he was that they still hadn't had time to repair the damage that Dumbledore and Voldemort had done.

Various bits of golden statue had been piled unceremoniously on the central plinth.

Harry wondered why Fudge had allowed it to remain like that, especially as it looked to Harry like a potent symbol of exactly how powerless the Ministry had been to deal with Voldemort.

He had completed one slow lap of the fountain before he sat down to re-read Hermione's latest note that had arrived that morning.

-

Dear Harry,

I'll be home this evening, probably around seven. Mum and Dad persuaded me to say for dinner as well as lunch. It's been wonderful but I'll be so glad to get back.

I'm sorry I'll miss your meeting, but I'm sure they were too busy to rearrange it just for me.

Now, Harry, you will promise me to be on you best behaviour, won't you? Just listen to what they have to say.

I've bought loads of books to bring back with me!

See you later,

Love from,

Hermione

PS Mum and Dad send their love.

-

Scrimgeour hadn't actually invited Hermione, of course, but Harry knew he stood far more chance of behaving himself with her present. Even so, he had really only mentioned the meeting in the hope she would be returning home soon.

Harry smiled to himself and folded the letter away just in time to see Percy Weasley stride across the polished timber floor.

"Harry!" he said loudly with a wide smile on his face and holding out his hand. Several people turned to look at them.

Harry was a little taken aback by this uncharacteristically friendly greeting and stood to shake Percy's hand.

"Hello, Percy," said Harry and allowed himself to be guided over to the lifts.

"Wonderful to see you again," said Percy, not troubling to keep his voice down. "You're looking well."

"Er, thanks. So are you," replied Harry, noting that Percy was as tall and thin as ever.

"Oh, I can't complain," said Percy conversationally as the lift grille gates opened and they got on.

Harry wondered when Percy's demeanour towards him would change. Inwardly, he suspected it be from the moment the lift gates closed.

"You still staying at the Burrow?" he asked in the same friendly manner, although they were now alone in the lift.

"No, but I try to stop by when I can."

"Excellent. I'd like to, of course, but pressures of work, you know? How is everyone?"

"Um, fine, I think. I'll be sure to say you asked after them."

"Thanks, Harry."

As the lift ascended up to Level One, Harry considered Percy. From his overtly friendly attitude, he was definitely trying to give the impression that all was forgiven or forgotten.

For some reason the phrase, "I know that he can be unbalanced and, for all I know, violent," refused to leave Harry's mind.

As they exited the lift, Harry was certainly becoming curious to know what they wanted with him. If it required Percy to behave like this to him, he rather assumed it was something they needed very badly.

*

No less than four security wizards were on duty at the pair of doors that marked the entrance to the Minister of Magic's private offices. As they approached, the doors opened at once and they passed through without delay and along a long wide corridor.

"You have an office along here?" asked Harry, taking in the plush red carpet and ornate decorations on the walls and ceiling.

"Oh, they managed to squeeze me in," said Percy. "My office is a little small but I can't complain."

They passed by an open door. The offices inside looked quite unlike anything else Harry had seen at the Ministry. The gold and white walls shone so brightly, Harry wondered that they were able to see to write.

Not that it looked like the occupants were doing much writing. Most were just basking in the tropical sunlight streaming in through the wall-to-wall windows.

The door closed quickly to conceal the occupants.

They turned a corner and the corridor widened into a waiting area.

Another larger pair of ornate doors on the far side was guarded over by a pair of larger security wizards.

Percy walked confidently over to the secretary sitting at a small desk and Harry followed.

"The Minister is expecting you," she said at once.

The pair of doors opened to reveal Rufus Scrimgeour, standing there waiting and leaning heavily on his walking stick.

Scrimgeour hitched a smile on his face and took a step forward, but he wasn't quick enough to stop Harry seeing the cold, calculating look the Minister was giving him as the doors opened.

"Harry, welcome," he said, extending a hand for Harry to shake.

Harry walked over and shook Scrimgeour's hand.

"Thanks for coming, I do appreciate it. Come on in."

Scrimgeour leaned on Harry's shoulder and allowed him to support him as they walked into the large room.

Harry expected him to peel off and sit behind the enormous and imposing desk that dominated the room, but instead Scrimgeour sat in one of the several seats in front of the desk and indicated for Harry to take one of the others.

"Tea, Harry?" he asked. "Or something stronger?"

"Tea would be nice, thanks."

Percy appeared almost at once carrying a large tray with two cups of tea.

"Will there be anything else, Minister?" he asked.

"Take a seat, Percy," said Scrimgeour. "You might as well hear this too."

"Yes, Minister," he replied excitedly, and sat down at once.

*

Scrimgeour took a sip of his tea and placed his cup and saucer down on the edge of his desk.

"First of all, I am aware that you have been helping our Muggle friends."

"I'll help anyone who wants to fight Voldemort," said Harry. Percy made an involuntary jump, spilling some of the tea he had just conjured for himself.

"Most laudable," said Scrimgeour, sounding like he thought it was nothing of the kind.

"Perhaps, but they got my co-operation by being honest with me. At least have the decency to say what you really think," said Harry firmly.

Scrimgeour sighed and said, "You're right, Harry. I'm sorry. Frankly, I was appalled to learn what you were up to. Leading an assault on Ministry property like that? You are very lucky not to be serving time in Azkaban for that little stunt."

"That stunt only exposed and evicted Voldemort from your Archive," replied Harry. "Besides, I didn't lead the assault."

"Now who's not being honest?"

Harry made to stand but Scrimgeour help up his hands and said, "I'm sorry. That was uncalled for."

Harry relaxed back again.

"I can't deny that you were certainly effective. They could have done immeasurable damage to us had they gained full access to our records."

Harry nodded.

"You know? I had no idea we even had an Archive in Kent. It took Percy a week to find even a mention of it in our scrolls. What did it say again, Percy?"

"Um, I found one paragraph in answer to a previous Minister's question about what we should do in the event that the Archive failed. It just said we should build another because we've lost the location of the old one."

"So is the library in full working order again?" asked Harry.

"Not entirely," answered Scrimgeour. "We've removed the wards that were preventing the flow of information through the rocks but there are still a few problems."

"Do you have enough ghosts to man it now?"

"The Librarian who remained is trying to recruit more as we speak. I should say, Head Librarian, actually. Apparently you promoted him?"

Harry smiled and nodded.

"Well," Scrimgeour continued slowly, "our new Head Librarian isn't being too co-operative at the present."

"In what way?"

"He's insisting upon a couple of things before he'll give us full access again."

"What does Scenariste want?" asked Harry interestedly.

"He told us of your suspicion that their communications were being intercepted by person or persons unknown here at the Ministry."

"Yes. They were asking for help for ages."

"Indeed. He isn't entirely satisfied with our enquires into what may have happened here at the Ministry."

"Did you catch them?" asked Harry, knowing what the answer would be.

"No."

"How many suspects do you have, then?"

"None."

"How many people had access or had the opportunity to intercept the messages?"

"Six people, including myself," answered Scrimgeour. "I won't speak for myself, but the others are all very senior and quite above reproach."

"So, either you are afraid of them, or you are colluding with them. Is this really the best we can expect from a Minister of Magic?"

"There are certain realities that cannot be ignored. There is no evidence, for one thing. Besides, there is the wider public interest to consider"

"Wouldn't the public interest be served better if all six of you were to resign?"

"I've considered that, but I'd be dead before I could announce it. Besides, while I'm in power, at least I can try to resist him."

Harry nodded.

"How many of the five do you really suspect are Voldemort's men?" he asked gently.

"All five, but I've absolutely no proof. I've spent most of the last three months re-arranging the departments to try and remove power from them where I can. I can't claim any real degree of success yet, but at least the Aurors are now entirely independent of political influence. That independence had also brought some good gains for our side."

"I suppose you're hoping the Aurors will uncover some evidence of these people's true loyalties?"

"Obviously, but I'm also a realist. I believe my best chance is through information gathered from the Archive."

"Except Scenariste thinks you can't be trusted, either?"

"Absolutely. I'd like you to talk to him and try to get his co-operation."

Harry considered Scrimgeour a moment before answering.

"I'll ask someone that Scenariste might respect to speak to him," said Harry, knowing that Hermione would be the better choice, "but to be entirely honest I can see his point. I think you also need to take a different approach, if you don't mind my saying so. What you need is a trusted individual who knows how to look for obscure links. You need an analyst, Minister."

Scrimgeour snorted and said, "Someone like Miss Alice, you mean?"

Harry raised his eyebrows, surprised that Scrimgeour knew anything about her.

"There's something else I need to tell you," said Scrimgeour seriously, "but the second thing our Librarian wants is co-operation and information sharing with the Muggles."

Harry smiled.

"Yes, I thought that would please you."

Harry nodded and waited as Scrimgeour shifted uncomfortably.

"It's been a while since you spoke to your Muggle friends, isn't it?"

"What's happened to them?" Harry demanded at once.

"There have been some upheavals, Harry. Please allow me to tell you what we know."

*

"I had suspected that Shacklebolt was sharing intelligence information with the Muggles for some time. I trust you'll note that, even so, I didn't remove him from his duties."

"Kingsley never gave them any information that compromised your security," said Harry. "He was just helping them fight Voldemort."

"Yes, that is the prevailing view," agreed Scrimgeour. "However, some months ago I felt it prudent to assign someone to monitor his activities."

"What did they conclude?"

"Apart from several rather serious breaches of the International Code of Wizarding Secrecy, Shacklebolt did nothing wrong. Of course, had he confided in me, I would not have approved."

"But you know now," said Harry.

"Indeed. I confronted the Muggle Prime Minister as soon as I found out, of course. I told him in no uncertain terms that it was our fight, not his.

"However, he maintained that it was his considered opinion that we were ill prepared to cope with the task at hand and that we should be grateful for all the help we can get. He also reminded me of the Muggle lives that had been lost, many of them during active assaults. At least that part was true, anyway."

Scrimgeour reached across his desk and picked up a thin flat file.

He opened it and read out a name.

"Bateman. I understand you knew each other before his memory was modified?"

"Yes."

"This is a copy of the report he prepared after the assault on the Archive and before he had his memory modified. This is a copy for you, if you're interested?"

"Of course I am."

"He reports that your group encountered another Muggle captive down there."

"Yes. I was there when we found Falcon."

"You personally heard Falcon say there was a traitor?"

"No, he couldn't talk. I'm sure that is what he was mouthing, though."

"No name?"

"No. He died almost at once."

"Probably for the best."

"Considering is injuries, you mean?"

"No, Harry. I don't mean that," said Scrimgeour standing. He handed the file to Percy and said, "See that this file is seen by nobody. This is the only copy and I want it to stay that way. Percy, I'm trusting you to personally see that Harry gets this file when he leaves. Keep it with you at all times."

"Yes, Minister!"

"Walk with me, Harry."