Unofficial Portkey Archive

Marriage of (In)convenience by ladylaughalot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Marriage of (In)convenience

ladylaughalot

A/N ~ This is the first time I've posted anything here so please be kind. I know the chapters are too short but it was written as a challenge response (see Harry/Hermione challenges Marriage of (In)convenience thread for details) and these first six chapters were written with the purpose of being able to post in the thread and update quickly. Now that I'm on Portkey I'll be doing my best to make all future chapters longer. That is those past chapter six.

Disclaimer- I wish they were mine but there not, If you recognise it, it belongs to someone else. I make no money from this.

Marriage of (In)convenience.

They'd been searching through musty tomes in the library at number 12 Grimmauld place looking for a way to destroy the Horocruxs for what felt like an eternity. They rarely spoke and Harry was personally beginning to feel as though he was glued to his chair. So when Ron had suggested that they spend the afternoon at the Burrow flying he'd gone despite the fact that Hermione had refused to accompany them and had glared at them as they left.

It was the perfect whether for flying, the air was crisp and the sun was shining. Harry was so happy to be out in the fresh air and up on his broom flying that he did a few loop the loops to celebrate the afternoon of freedom. Ron pulled up beside him as he came out of a dive.

`Harry, was this a good idea or what?' He asked a massive grin splitting his face.

Harry couldn't have contained his own smile to save his life.

`Ron, you're brilliant! This was the best idea ever. Race you to the orchard!'

The two boys took off to the orchard with Harry in the lead. Harry won easily but when he came to a stop to gloat over his success Ron looped back around and called out.

`Race you back to the house!'

This time Ron started out in the lead but Harry's broom was faster and he still won though narrowly.

They came to a stop beside the house but before Harry could even open his mouth to do any gloating he heard Hermione calling out to them.

`Harry! Ron! Come here!' She was halfway between the house and the orchard and it looked as though she'd been walking out to them when they'd turned around and flown back to the house.

They flew down to meet her and Harry was surprised to see her former look of grim disapproval was gone and she was beaming at them ecstatically.

`I've done it! I've found the solution!' She exclaimed as they landed beside her.

`Wow Hermione!' Ron said looking at her in admiration.

`That's great I knew you'd find it.' Harry replied, `So, what is it? What do we have to do?'

`Well it's a bit complicated.' Hermione said catching her breath, `and it needs to be performed by a couple that has been married for precisely one month.'

Harry and Ron deflated at her words.

`We don't know anyone who has been married for exactly a month' said Harry remorsefully.

`Yeah the last wedding was Bill and Fleur and that was nearly a year ago now.' Ron added.

`Well that's fine, Harry will you marry me?' Hermione asked breathlessly.

Harry's mind froze.

`Bloody Hell' Ron said quietly next to him.

`What?! Why me? I mean isn't there another way?' Harry asked panicked.

`No offence Hermione but I kind of pictured my wedding as being a little different than some rushed thing done just to destroy Voldemort.'

`There isn't another way Harry.' Hermione snapped impatiently, `You already said we don't know anyone who fits the criteria and even if we did we'd have to tell them what we're up to and we can't risk that. .Besides' she added, `I think I've thought about my wedding day more than you have and his isn't exactly what I imagined either But I am willing to make that sacrifice because I know how important this is.' Hermione said angrily her cheeks flushed.

Harry knew when he'd lost

`I'm sorry your right.' He said resigning himself to the inevitable.

`Alright I'll do it. What do we have to do?'


-->