Unofficial Portkey Archive

Marriage of (In)convenience by ladylaughalot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Marriage of (In)convenience

ladylaughalot

The ceremony was as simple as they could make it. Ron was the only witness as the aged wizard performed the ritual. He had promised to keep the event entirely confidential. Ron, who was almost catatonic with shock, barely spoke and would stare at Harry when he thought he wasn't looking with eyes as round as saucers. Harry thought he heard him muttering to himself but when he confronted Ron about it all he could say was, `I never thought you'd go this far to stop him.'

Harry tried to point out that they were going to get divorced after a month but all Ron could do was stare at him blankly stammering `but, but' until he shook his head and gave up. Harry couldn't blame him really. He was in quite a bit of shock himself and couldn't quite believe what he was doing. It seemed incomprehensible to him that the girl standing beside him, whom he had know for the last seven years was about to become his wife. It didn't seem to really matter that it would only be for a month it was still an inescapable fact that they were all here today in this dingy little backroom in the Ministry of Magic registry office, dressed in their best robes, so that Harry could marry Hermione.

He looked at her standing beside him and realised how much she'd changed. Her hair, hanging in loose shinning waves down her back, was certainly very different from what it was like all those years ago when they first met. Her skin was ivory tinged with pink, he knew she was just as nervous about all of this as he was despite the calm exterior she presented, her hair fell in loose waves down her back and her baby blue dress robes did a very good job of accentuating the figure that had developed nicely over the years. She's changed in lots of ways Harry somewhat belatedly noticed. He felt like he was seeing her for the first time and wondered dazedly how he could have been oblivious to how beautiful she'd become.

`Mr Potter,' the ancient wizard finally addressed him, `Please repeat after me.'

`I Harry James Potter.'

Harry felt his voice crack as he repeated the words, `I Harry James Potter,'

`Take you Hermione Jane Granger,'

Harry stared into Hermione's eyes and the rest of the world faded away, there was only her eyes and the sound of the wizards voice in his ears,

`Take you Hermione Jane Granger,'

`To be my lawfully wedded wife,'

`To be my lawfully wedded wife,' her eyes were so beautiful, how had he never noticed before?

`To have and to hold'

`To have and to hold' the thought of holding Hermione suddenly seemed quite pleasant.

`In sickness and in health,'

`In sickness and in health,' He would always look after her whether she was sick or not he realised with sudden certainty.

`Till death do us part.'

Harry was suddenly pulled out of the daze he'd been in as he was forcefully reminded of why they were here today. It was with a much more serious tone of voice that he repeated.

`Till death do us part.'

Hermione repeated her lines as well and looked into his eyes as she did so. Harry could tell as she stared back at him that strangely, even though they both knew their marriage would end in divorce in a month's time, they had both meant every word of their vows. Hermione also seemed to recognise the particular significance of the last line her backbone stiffened as she repeated it but her gaze never left his. Her voice saying the words `Till death do us part' was still ringing in his ears when the wizard spoke again.

`By the power vested in me by the Ministry of magic I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride.'

Harry felt like he'd been hit by a stunning spell. He stared at the minister for a second before looking back down at Hermione. She looked as though she'd forgotten that part too but looking down at her he knew there was only one thing for him to do. Summoning all of the Gryffindor courage he possessed he leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips. Her lips were soft and warm and the moment stretched for an eternity. It felt like hours but it really only lasted a few seconds. When Harry finally raised his head and looked at Hermione again she looked slightly shocked and for once, Harry realised smugly, she was lost for words.

`Excellent now if you will please join hands we will engage the magical contract.' The old wizard said sounding pleased. His words barely registered, Harry and Hermione were both still dazed from their kiss. Without questioning what he was asked to do Harry simply took Hermione's small hand in his, realising for the first time how much smaller than him she really was. She seemed delicate and tiny all of a sudden and very much in need of his protection.

`Mr Weasley, as their witness if you would please touch their joined hands with your wand?'

Harry felt the tip of Ron's wand touch his and Hermione's joined hands, the old wizard did the same and began muttering an incantation that Harry barely even registered. Hermione who had been looking at their joined hands now looked up and her eyes met his. Harry could feel something pass between them but it was something inexplicable that he couldn't define.

`There you are! The ritual is complete. Now all that's left is for you to enjoy your honeymoon.'

That got Harry's attention. He tried to let go of Hermione's hand only to find he was unable to. Hermione started shaking her arm forcefully trying to let go of Harry.

Harry looked at the old wizard wondering why it had only now occurred to him to wonder why the couple had to be married for precisely one month in order for the spell that would destroy the Horocruxs to work.

`What's going on? Why are our hands stuck together?' He demanded.

`Mr Potter,' laughed the old wizard a twinkle in his eye, `you can't be serious, it's for the Honeymoon.'

`What are you talking about?' Harry demanded even more fiercely.

`Well it's a standard part of the Wizzarding wedding ritual. In fact the marriage is not technically legal unless the Honeymoon takes place.'

`What do you mean by Honeymoon?' Harry practically yelled, `I was raised by muggles to me a honeymoon is just a vacation, there's nothing about being unable to let go of your partners hand!'

`Well the honeymoon is the month after the wedding ceremony, in which the newly wedded couple consummate their marriage and are bound to each other for the entire month. The marriage isn't valid without it.' The old wizard stumbled.

`I'm sorry I thought you knew.' With a swish of his robes the old wizard fled out the door, eager to avoid violence or further anger from the chosen one.

`A whole month,' Harry muttered running his free hand through his hair.

Beside him he heard Hermione squeak, her eyes were round and scared, she only said one word, `Consummate?'

Harry felt fear settle into his stomach as it suddenly dawned on him what that word meant.


-->