Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Countdown by GoonerJim
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Countdown

GoonerJim

CHAPTER TWENTY

A/N - Thanks for the reviews, keep them coming! Now for a few home truths before the final battle begins. Bear in mind that I've had the plotline for this and the next chapters for a couple of years now, certainly before I read Deathly Hallows. Also, I will be borrowing elements from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and The Matrix that I think will fit in nicely with the last few chapters. Enjoy!

Harry crouched behind a tall, dense mass of wild shrubbery, carefully standing just enough to peer over the top. In the almost total darkness of the night it was hard to make out absolutely anything; luckily the sky was clear and starry with a full moon, which gave the minimal amount of light that Harry needed. He could make out the castle ruins, dark and immense on the right at the top of a shallow hill, overlooking the river. Harry dared not illuminate his wand; there was no way of telling if any Death Eaters were in the immediate vicinity, but in remembering Snape's message it was certainly a possibility that would only increase with time. They had to hurry.

Together, he, Ron and Hermione had picked their way through the extensive neglected plains surrounding the castle in the darkness; all manner of plant life had deposited there creating a virtual maze of nature that hindered their progress as much as it aided their need for stealth. They had taken about five minutes to let their eyesight adjust without using magic to give away their position, and another twenty to have made it this far. They moved silently; the only sounds they made were the occasional haggard breath, the crunching of a twig underfoot.

Harry took point, moving ahead and keeping lookout while Ron and Hermione moved forward, crouching as they walked. They were long past caring how silly they may have looked; this was a real life and death situation. If Harry had been told by someone two months when this whole search began that he would be willingly sneaking into what may have been a massive Death Eater trap, he would have either laughed or hit them with an Immobilising Spell. Funny how things turn out, Harry had thought more than once to keep himself sane.

Harry began to move around to the right as they picked their way closer; he wanted to get a look around the perimeter of the ruins before going in, in case one way looked a lot better than the other. Realistically he wasn't really expecting anything different; it was as much a way to look for any perspective Death Eater hiding spots as stalling for the time he needed to work up the bottle. But then he had to remember how he could orchestrate a raid on the Ministry of Magic itself, a little more than two years ago.

But that actually was a trap…it was hard living in his head sometimes.

It took another ten minutes before Harry was satisfied; he looked back at Ron and Hermione and nodded towards the ruins, mouthing `Let's go'.

And so they began a potentially fateful approach, working through and peering around shrubs and trees and long grass, as well as outcroppings of rock as they got closer.

Along the way he had tried not to think about this…thing with Hermione. This thing…? Well, right now he didn't know what it was. He had, amazingly, told her that he loved her. Well, sort of, indirectly. Still, he couldn't believe he had done that. Considering how long, and the lengths to which he had to go to make that realisation, Harry couldn't believe it had only taken him about a month. Sure, he was comatose for three weeks out of that. But he was certain. When David Adams had read Harry's mind and indirectly gave him access to his memories, Harry found himself comparing his feelings for Hermione with what David felt for his girlfriend, Sarah Campbell. And then it hit him; those feelings were one and the same. He loved her.

So, does she…no, we'll do that later.

Suddenly, Harry stopped. He could hear two sets of footsteps ahead and to his left. He crouched down, Ron and Hermione following suit. He looked back at them, holding up two fingers and pointing in that direction wordlessly. Collectively they held their breath as they moved across the outskirts of the castle ruins, evidently patrolling. So, Harry thought, they were following him.

Harry caught Ron's eye with a quick wave; he pointed at him and gestured for him to go around behind them, and then that he himself would come out in front. Ron caught the meaning with a nod; ambush.

Harry counted down with his fingers; three, two, one…

In an instant Harry jumped up and ran out from cover, taking aim and wordlessly shooting a Stunning Spell at the darkened figure on the right. The bolt hit him squarely, knocking him back and down to the ground unconscious. Before his colleague could react, Ron's Immobilising Charm hit him square in the back. Both hit the ground with a thud but were otherwise silent.

"Come on!" Harry whispered insistently back to Hermione, who emerged from hiding with a look that was equal measure concentration and bewilderment. Harry could see it in her eyes…but chased that thought away quickly. He turned back to the castle and motioned over his shoulder for the others to follow. Together, they picked their way into the main courtyard.

They found another two Death Eaters there; one stationary, the other periodically walking amongst the great stone formations that once must have represented some truly impressive medieval architecture, long since left to decay to ruin. Working together the trio were able to outwit them, taking down the pair in one smooth action. Harry suppressed a self-satisfied smirk at the accomplishment as they entered the castle.

Harry didn't stop to let his eyes adjust, and so neither did the others. Feeling their way along inside almost total darkness, Harry used his watch as a compass, feeling rather than seeing where it was pointed to guide them. If the tension was real and solid outside, then in here it was as intense as any feeling of dread or foreboding that Harry could remember. He'd read stories in his youth about the knight that would storm the enemy castle; now he knew how they felt.

They found a winding spiral staircase to ascend a level, and looked for another to reach the top floor. As they passed through a large room that was once probably used to entertain guests, the trio came across a welcome, and yet strangely unwelcome, sight; two Death Eaters unconscious on the ground.

Although his mind was screaming for answers, Harry forced himself to stay patient as they found the staircase they sought. At the summit, Harry turned and led the way into a large, dusty old room with many darkened alcoves and corners. His wand fell lifeless in his hand.

They were here.

And yet, they were alone.

Harry glanced around intently, peering with squinted eyes into the darkness…

"It's just as well you decided against coming alone, Potter." A very familiar voice said from within the shadows. A voice that Harry had despised for more than six years…

"Show yourself," Harry growled.

"Not until you lower your wand, and fight back that urge to curse me into oblivion." Snape replied sneeringly.

"Give me one good reason not to," Harry said through gritted teeth.

"Because of what I'm holding," Snape said.

The barest flicker of movement made Harry whip round; Snape's pale, pointed face illuminated out of the darkness, his wand tip casting its light across the cavernous room. The instant Harry's eyes met Snape's, he remembered the intense hatred and loathing he felt whenever he looked into them. His grip on his wand tightened…

"Harry, look!" Hermione whispered, pointing at Snape's right hand.

It was gripping the Triwizard Trophy; the real one. The glowing silver and blue cup was unmistakable, even in this dim light.

"Hand it over," Harry said sharply.

With a look of absolute calm and poise, Snape lowered the trophy to the ground and kicked it over to the Trio. Ron picked it up and looked it over, as the tense standoff continued. Only then did Harry notice that Snape didn't even have his wand out.

Does this guy have a death wish?

After a tense few seconds, it was Hermione who broke the silence, "Why…"

Snape shook his head passively, "Miss Granger, I would have thought you of all people would see the truth in all of this." He glanced at Harry, "Especially since you appear to have missed the blindingly obvious too, Potter."

"And what's that?" Harry asked threateningly.

"Professor Dumbledore really did give you too much credit."

"Keep him out of this!" Harry shot back, his voice almost rising to a shout.

"Do you really think the Dark Lord would have kept him out of this?" Snape asked pointedly, "Did you ever consider that Dumbledore would ever allow a fight to the death between you and he?"

Harry was silent for a few seconds, trying to avoid asking himself that question for fear of whatever answers he might come up with, "We'll never know, will we? You killed him in cold blood, you murdering…"

"Dumbledore had to die!" Snape bellowed, as real emotion showed on his face for the first time. He took a step forward, closer, "And he knew it! That's why he's dead!"

Hermione gave Harry a look of shock and horror; evidently, she had just seen whatever truth Snape was trying to spin. Harry remained steadfast in his mind; he wasn't going to buy this…

"How long did you and Voldemort take to come up with that one?" Harry challenged.

"Think, Potter!" Snape said, seething, "How could the Dark Lord have ever hoped to come near Dumbledore, the one wizard he always feared? And in Hogwarts, the one safe haven whose walls he could never breach?"

"Malfoy," Harry spat, "He smuggled your Death Eaters into the castle."

"On Dumbledore's orders!" Snape replied angrily.

That revelation struck Harry like a thunderbolt, "What?"

Snape took a deep breath to try and calm himself, "The attack on Hogwarts was orchestrated by Dumbledore, and Dumbledore alone."

"Oh Merlin," Ron exclaimed; it was starting to make sense to him too.

"I kept Malfoy in line," Snape said, "I told him where to find the right equipment and the right magic to use. Dumbledore had already accepted his fate, and needed the Dark Lord to believe that I had turned to his ranks once again."

He took another step forward, his sallow eyes piercing Harry's with his gaze, "He sacrificed himself for you, Potter. He carried out the most courageous act in the history of our kind." Snape looked Harry up and down coldly, "And what does he have to show for it? A young fool that won't accept the truth when it is laid out in front of him!"

Harry closed his eyes, as his throat seized up and tears threatened to come. He died…for me…

Snape shook his head derisively, "You offend me with your ignorance, Potter. That Dumbledore valued your life more than his own, that he would lay down before the Dark Lord to give you the opportunity to face him…"

Harry's mind was clouded over in doubt, denial, anguish. He tried desperately to cling to a coherent line of reasoning as he felt Ron and Hermione's eyes upon his; Ron's full of shock, Hermione's full of sorrow. They each represented only half of what Harry was feeling…

"Why…did you rejoin the Death Eaters?" Harry asked sombrely, gulping back the tightness of his throat.

"So I could find that," Snape said, nodding at the Triwizard Trophy, "Dumbledore told me of the existence of the Horcruxes as well. While he trusted your abilities to find them, I would not take that chance."

"And…does Voldemort know we have them?" Hermione asked.

Snape glanced at her and shook his head slowly, "He does not."

As Harry was about to let out some form of relief, Snape looked at him again pointedly, "Which is why he has chosen to act…tonight."

Oh no… "What?" Harry demanded.

Snape glanced at each of the Trio, "That is why I made sure you would come here. To keep you safe from the attack."

"What attack?" Hermione asked, horrified.

Snape let out a long breath, "The Dark Lord has moved against Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic. Both will submit to him, if they haven't already."

"How can you be sure?" Harry spat back, not wanting to believe what he was hearing.

Snape shook his head, "He has been planning this for years, Potter. And he has shared with me all but the most personal details. Believe me when I tell you, he will succeed."

"And…and then what?" Ron asked, equally horrified. Not the Ministry…not Dad…

"The servants of the Dark Lord will use the Ministry to track down as many Hogwarts students as can be found and return them to the school."

"And then…kill them?" Hermione dared to ask.

"No one will be killed," Snape said, glancing at Harry, "In the Dark Lord's words, only one will die tonight."

Sirius once said those words to me…Harry thought. How dare he…

"Won't he notice you're not there?" Ron asked Snape.

"As far as he believes, I am now drawing you into an ambush so that I may capture you all and take you to him."

"For an easy kill," Harry stated rather than asked.

"He has no interest in a fair fight," Snape said, the merest hint of derision in his voice in reference to Voldemort for the first time, "Not when he truly does not know if he can win."

Harry almost began to smile, "He's afraid of me?"

"He's always been afraid of you, Potter. That has been the key behind everything he has ever done."

To hear those words was strange enough; to hear them from Snape was positively earth-shattering to Harry.

"So…where's Malfoy, then?" Ron asked.

Snape looked away, and down at the ground. Harry could swear he saw the tiniest bit of shame in those cold eyes.

"He was not strong enough to maintain his role," Snape admitted, "Little by little, I lost control of him…he is with the Death Eaters now."

Damn it, Draco...Harry thought. Once again, you've let us all down. You let Dumbledore down…

"We have no time for further questions," Snape said with authority. He looked at the trophy, "I suggest you destroy it now."

Ron put the trophy down. Harry walked towards it, trying to ignore the memories…of the maze, of the graveyard…of Diggory…

Unfeelingly, he conjured his green wand-blade with a violent hiss and swung it relentlessly across the trophy. It shattered into tiny fragments of glass and metal with a great crashing noise, releasing a strange blue mist that evaporated in the night air.

Only one left, Harry thought, remembering the contents of one of his pockets…

The faint sound of hurried footsteps somewhere beneath them caught everyone's attention.

"Hurry, you need to get out of here," Snape said quickly. He withdrew a scrap of yellowing parchment from his pocket, "This Portkey will get you back to Hogwarts. Once you're there, head to the Quidditch…"

Looking over his shoulder, Hermione screamed.

They all whipped round; a giant snake had just burst into the room.

Nagini.

"Go!" Snape commanded, before he drew his wand and ran headlong at the beast, trying to cover the trio's escape.

Harry, Ron and Hermione bolted for the door as Nagini hissed and snapped it's head at Snape, who dodged and fired spells and curses at it; some missed, others just bounced off it's scaly skin. As they reached the doorway, Nagini's tail whipped and caught all three along the sternum, knocking them all to the ground.

Harry looked up, as Snape dodged another lunge and jumped backward, taking careful aim, "Avada…"

Impossibly quickly, the snake lunged.

It's fangs sunk into his neck; to Harry it was as if this was happening in slow motion.

As Snape's lifeless body fell to the ground like a piece of stone, Harry felt that same surge of anger…but for a much different reason.

After everything he ever did to me…he died trying to save me.

It began to sunk in; someone else had just died for him.

That's it; no one else…

Harry stood up as Nagini's head whipped round, its reptile eyes finding his.

For a second they merely stared at each other.

Then the snake lunged.

"AVADA KEDAVRA!" Harry shouted.

The green blast caught the snake's neck mere inches from his face. He ducked out of the way as it writhed and thrashed, before finally rolling and falling to the floor limp.

Ron and Hermione stood up slowly, carefully. They looked at Harry in a mixture of awe and horror. They both shared the same thought; they could not believe Harry was capable of the Killing Curse.

They watched him approach Snape's body. They looked at each other, helpless to know just what to do; neither of them dared interfere in whatever it was Harry was feeling right now.

Before either of them could react, Harry knelt down and yanked back one of the sleeves of Snape's robe, exposing his Dark Mark. He pressed his wand against it.

"Harry don't, they'll know where we are!" Hermione whispered shrilly.

"They already know," Harry replied angrily, closing his eyes, searching for that connection…

"VOLDEMORT YOU BLOODSUCKER!" Harry shouted, "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN DIRTY WORK, DO YOU HEAR ME? DO YOU?!"

He gritted his teeth, his face contorted and twisted angrily, "For a long time you've hunted me…for a long time I've eluded you…no more."

As Ron and Hermione heard footsteps running up the stairs, Harry seethed, "I'm coming for you."

With several cracks and flashes, Death Eaters Apparated into the room and surrounded the trio, holding their wands pointed at them. The other masked figures opened the door, backing the trio into the centre of the room together.

Harry stood up beside them. He glanced at Ron and Hermione; his face was now strangely calm. Don't worry, it's okay…

"Drop the wands," one of the Death Eaters said. His voice was cold and elegant, and again Harry recognised it.

Harry dropped his wand, nodding at his two best friends to do the same.

The same Death Eater stepped forward, his face still hidden under his mask, "So…you took revenge on Snape, I see? Very touching…"

Harry held his gaze steadily, saying nothing.

"I hope you enjoyed it, Potter," The Death Eater said, "It'll be one of the last feelings you'll ever have."

Harry actually grinned, "Well thanks Lucius, that means a lot to me."

Lucius Malfoy barely bristled at the sound of his own name, "You're smarter than you look, Potter. Not that that says very much…" He sneered, looking pointedly at Ron and Hermione.

His cold blue eyes caught the remnants of the trophy; as Harry held his breath, Malfoy seemed to dismiss it out of hand.

He really doesn't know…

"What do we do now?" One of the other Death Eaters asked Malfoy; Harry didn't know the voice.

"What we came here for," He replied coldly, "Take these three to the Dark Lord."

-->