Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Countdown by GoonerJim
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Countdown

GoonerJim

CHAPTER SEVEN

A/N - It's been a while, but The Final Countdown returns! I do apologize for the lengthy gap, but I've had so many things to do with my last year of university. I'm still there of course, but I won't take so long from here on out, you have my word!

Those of you who may have felt aggrieved at the slow-burning pace of the romance aspect of this story might take heart from this chapter - or might not. Anyway, this is a short little break from the main plot elements, hope you enjoy…and review!

That night, Harry sat alone in one of the stands of the grand old Quidditch stadium, at one of the outer edges of the Hogwarts grounds. The night air was cool and still, it's slight and gentle breeze comforting. The thin jacket that Harry wore was enough protection from the night, as he sat leaning over the handrail at the front of the stand, arms folded across it, leaning forward with his head resting on them.

The green in Harry's eyes was dull tonight; he had spent that afternoon getting in some flying practice with Ron, having returned to Grimmauld Place to retrieve their broomsticks, along with a few other essentials. In the heat of the summer, it felt good to fly and swoop and dive, as if Harry was back in the Quidditch team, the Quidditch Cup the only thing on his mind. In reality it had been last school year, a matter of months ago, but it felt like a lifetime ago. He yearned for that kind of innocence again.

Maybe that was why he came here tonight.

If only.

Of course, the rational part of his brain told Harry that this was ridiculous. Why should the fact that David Adams has a girlfriend bother him so much?

Well, it doesn't, not really.

It was merely another reminder to Harry that he was missing out on a big part of life. No matter that, presumably, he needed that kind of love to actually have a life, realizing that he had no one like that was still a depressing thought, as it would be for any teenager in such a situation, wizard or not. With Ron and Hermione around most of the time, it didn't really matter; Harry never felt alone. It was only the odd instance where Harry felt like this.

Of course, Harry did know what it felt like…sort of. Just like anything else in Harry's life, it was complicated. Last year, he had `gone out', as the popular student vernacular termed it, with Ginny. It felt…great, for a time. And then Dumbledore died, and that part of Harry's life had fallen away from him. With it came a realization…he didn't really love her. And there was no way that she loved him, either. It just…wasn't enough.

Harry hated the nights like these…nothing to do but sit around and think. Normally, Harry would find ways to keep himself busy, too busy to ponder what had become his `destiny'; it might as well have been, as so much of it had been plotted and laid out before Harry like a carpet. He was either going to do this, or this, and needed this, not this…

Harry growled under his breath. He hated the powers that be for all this. Why me? What the hell did I ever do?!

"Harry?"

Harry spun around; Hermione was standing behind him.

Harry shook his head, trying his best to grin, "Can you stop doing that?"

"Doing what?" Hermione asked as she sat down next to her best friend.

"Sneaking up on me like that," Harry said, looking back out across the pitch, "You've got this whole stealth thing happening…"

Hermione snorted derisively, "I would have thought that would be a good thing,"

Harry shrugged, "Well, your next career as an Unspeakable is all lined up."

Hermione swatted him lightly on the arm. She observed his face for a minute or so, in silence. Her look softened, her voice became quieter, "Can't sleep?"

Harry shook his head, still looking ahead.

"Anything I can do?" Hermione asked.

Harry thought about that for a moment, "Just stay here," He said quietly, almost a whisper.

Hermione smiled to herself, slightly.

Together they just sat there, enjoying the night…and each other's company.

"Did it bother you?"

"What?" Harry asked.

"Seeing David with that girl," Hermione said, "You looked a bit…downcast, earlier."

"It's nothing," Harry said, "Just…something I keep coming back to in my head."

"That you and Ginny didn't work out?" Hermione asked softly.

Not willing to disclose the whole `power he knows not' saga just yet, Harry simply nodded, "Yeah…"

Hermione scooted closer along the bench to Harry, "Don't worry, Harry. When all this is over, when we can get back to worrying about school, and families, and homework…"

Harry snorted, trying to suppress a chuckle.

"Hey!" Hermione said, cuffing him on the shoulder again, this time harder, trying hard not to smile.

"Sorry," Harry said, grinning slightly.

"Like I said," Hermione continued, "Let's just get this job done, and after that we'll find you a girl, one that can really make you happy."

Harry turned his face to her, his eyebrows raised, "We?"

Hermione nodded confidently, "Yeah, I'll be the one vetting them, of course." She said, smiling at the end.

Harry shook his head, smiling wide, "As weird as this makes me sound, I'm actually looking forward to that."

Hermione scooted closer, her leg brushing against Harry's, "Yeah, I know." She let out an involuntary shiver.

"You cold?" Harry asked innocently.

"What gave you that idea?" Hermione teased.

"Okay, I won't put my arm around you," Harry mocked.

"Oh, give it here," Hermione said, tugging Harry's arm. She draped it around her back, resting his hand on her stomach, under her hand. She turned and leant into Harry, tucking her head under his, resting it on his chest.

A couple of minutes of silence passed. Harry was trying to pretend this was comfortable, that this was normal…then why the bloody hell did he feel like THIS?! Why was he suddenly so nervy and jumpy and…wait, this has happened before…

But when…?

"You're getting too skinny, Harry," Hermione said softly against his chest.

"And I thought you were gonna say thank you," Harry said, still teasingly. Best to cover up his discomfort with humor. For now, anyway…

"First task; get some food in you,"

"And then we find Voldemort?"

"Fine, second task."

Harry smiled, "Well, thanks anyway…"

"You're welcome,"

"…for everything," Harry finished.

Hermione's breath caught in her throat, "What?"

Harry tried to ignore the way she felt against him, the smell of her hair, "Just in case…you know, things don't work out. I just wanted you to know, I appreciate it."

Hermione shook her head, releasing her breath slowly as a sigh, "Harry, you're not going anywhere unless I say you are."

"Oh, alright then," Harry said nonchalantly, or at least pretended to.

"I mean it," Hermione said, "Besides, I need to find you a girl, you can't go ruining my fun."

"I could just find a girl myself," Harry said, "Can't I do that?"

"Nope," Hermione said softly, "You need me."

Harry leaned his head back against the bench, a hand stroking Hermione's hair gently, "Yeah, I do," He said quietly to himself.


-->