Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Final Countdown by GoonerJim
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Final Countdown

GoonerJim

CHAPTER EIGHT

A/N - Hope that you guys liked Chapter 7 for the little pause (and slight fluff moment) that it was, but now back to the story proper! Keep the reviews coming, and enjoy…

"Alright, class dismissed," David Adams said, while pocketing his wand and trying to wipe the sweat from his forehead.

Around him, the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff groups began to file out, in various stages of disrepair. Harry wondered, as he watched Luna support Ron as he tried to hop out on one leg, if he'd need to start wheeling his best friend here from the hospital wing every morning. Either he was putting it on as a show of courage, or Luna was a lot better at dueling than people gave her credit for. Harry thought that he wouldn't have trouble believing either of those scenarios.

Hermione picked herself up off the crash mat, wincing as she favored her left hip.

"Are you alright?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, nothing a lay-down won't cure," Hermione said. She looked over at David, who was talking to Neville, "Do you think he's made any progress with Regulus Black yet?"

Harry shrugged, "He may have heard from Tonks, I don't know. Shall I check?"

"That might be an idea," Hermione said, "I'm going to recheck his Gringotts account, I saw something interesting in there."

"Alright," Harry said, slightly grinning, "Don't work too hard."

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Yeah, like that's an option."

Harry chuckled, raising a small smile out of Hermione as she hobbled out of the classroom. The events of last night had gone mostly unspoken, other than the odd glance and smile on the way down to the Great Hall, and over breakfast. For now, they were back on task, and Harry knew Hermione was back in her bossy, know-it-all mode. But, they both had that to look back to. For Harry, it was a release, and it hadn't yet failed to put a smile on his face.

That's how you beat `em, Harry.

"Yeah, that's good stuff," David was telling Neville as Harry approached, "Remember what I said, though. Keep your eyes fixed on the target, let your arm follow, okay?"

"Okay, thanks David," Neville said, turning to leave. Harry noticed the look of fierce pride on his friend's face. He was definitely picking this stuff up, almost as quickly as Harry was, and that had to feel good after years of underachieving.

David turned to Harry, "Alright Harry, we still on for later?"

Harry nodded, "Yeah, sure. I just wanted to ask if you or Tonks had made any headway with Black yet."

David leaned back on his desk, "Funny you should mention that, she Owled me this morning. Something about his financial records, something piqued her interest."

"Hermione's looking at that, as well."

David nodded, "Okay, get her to contact Tonks, they can work that up together."

"Alright," Harry said, "what do you suppose it would tell you if they found something?"

"Could be anything," David said, "His income could tell us who he's working for, his expenditure could tell us what contacts he's paid off. We might get lucky, end up with a few names."

"Sounds good," Harry said, infused with this latest turn in their investigation. Finally, some answers!

At that point, Harry noticed movement in the corner of his eye. He turned, and a tall, brown-haired girl came into the room. That had to be David's girlfriend again, Harry thought.

"Hi," she said to David as she walked over to him. She had a definite American accent, and Harry certainly found her very attractive. Her long brown hair bobbed up and down behind her in a ponytail, she certainly looked after herself, her deep brown eyes reminded him of…

Of…

"Wotcha," David said as she pecked him on the cheek.

"How was class?" She asked.

"Engaging," David said wryly. He turned to Harry, "Harry Potter, this is Sarah Campbell."

"Hi, nice to meet you," Sarah said, smiling as she stepped forward, offering her hand.

Harry shook it with a polite grin, "Nice to meet you."

"David's told me a lot about you," she said.

Harry turned to David, "Really?"

David shrugged, "They've heard about you in America as well. Sarah's from the Salem Wizarding Institute in Massachusetts."

Harry was suddenly interested, "So, you know about Voldemort and everything?"

Sarah nodded, "Yeah, David tells me. The Department of Magic keeps that kinda stuff pretty secret."

"How did you meet?" Harry asked, before realizing he might have gone a bit far there. If he had, they didn't seem to mind.

"Three years ago, just after I left Hogwarts, there was this…tournament, in America," David said. For some reason, he sounded quite downcast, even bitter, as he said the word `tournament'.

"I never heard about that," Harry said.

"Nah, don't suppose you would have," David said dismissively, standing up and grabbing his gear, "I'd better get going, I've got some things to do." He stopped then, looking at Sarah, "What are you up to?"

"I was gonna go to the hospital wing, I can get some research done," Sarah said.

David turned to Harry, "Harry, would you mind showing her there? I'm a bit pressed for time."

"Sure," Harry said.

* * * * *

Harry ended up taking Sarah on a tour of the school; she really seemed interested in it. Over the course of the hour or so that Harry acted as her tour guide, he got to know this American girl quite well. The more Harry did so, the more he found that she was really very likable; always polite and friendly and…just happy, really. For him, it made a change.

Sarah had mentioned how she was studying for an M.D. (Magical Doctorate) back home in America, and took a few weeks off to come and see David, and also go to the Ministry of Magic and St. Mungo's to look at the way the British magical community worked in terms of healthcare. While Harry couldn't quite summon up a measure of interest in that, he did like Sarah's willingness to travel, to see different parts of the world. Harry had never been anywhere besides Hogwarts, London and Surrey, and quite liked the idea of traveling. Maybe when this whole thing's over, he thought to himself.

He saw her to the hospital wing, and sure enough found Ron laying on one of the ward beds, Luna sitting on the end generally looking very concerned. Harry had to have a chuckle at that, before helping Ron back to the common room, all the while making sure he kept Luna's wand hand in his field of vision.

As Luna disappeared to parts unknown, Harry told Hermione about Tonks, and she went away to the fireplace to talk to her. Harry looked at Ron, "How you doing?"

Laying back on the sofa, his head heavily propped up by cushions, Ron shrugged, "Yeah, getting there, mate."

"You don't fool me, ya know," Harry said, grinning.

"What?" Ron said, looking scandalized.

Harry shook his head, still with a grin on his face. And I thought I was the tragic hero around here…

* * * * *

That night, Harry snuck out of the common room, alone, and made his way down to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Hermione had urged him to be careful, not to do anything he wasn't sure of. Ron had urged him to do whatever he thought would help in the long run. Whatever that meant…

Harry found the classroom darkened, the black curtains drawn, the only source of light a flickering candle sitting on the teacher's desk. David sat at it, his head resting on his linked hands, looking down at the desk in deep contemplation. The flickering light cast an unusual shadow over him, and for a fleeting moment Harry was reminded of Professor Dumbledore.

David looked up, clearing his throat, "Harry, thanks for coming."

Harry edged forward, unsure of his footing here, "It's a bit dark in here,"

"Yeah," David said, "I haven't done this sort of thing that often, the candle gives me something to focus on."

Harry sat down at the desk, facing him, "When you say `this sort of thing'…"

David put his hands down flat on the table, "Are you any good at Occlumency?"

Harry thought for a moment how he should answer, then decided it was worth telling the truth, "No,"

"Me neither," David said begrudgingly, "But in this case, it should help."

He was met by Harry's confused look, so continued, "Sarah, my girlfriend, is among other things a gifted Legilimens. She taught me everything she knows about it."

"How?" Harry said, startled and a little intrigued by this revelation.

"She can read my mind," David said, with a surprising casualness, "If I concentrate, I can see her thoughts in my head. It's an incredible feeling…" David said, trailing off, his eyes almost looking away into the distance, "…and if Sarah wishes it, she can leave thoughts and memories inside my mind."

"Do you know how to do that?" Harry asked.

David nodded, slowly, "Sarah trained me very well."

"Then…" Harry said, framing his question very carefully, "you want to try this, with me?"

David stood up, pacing away from the desk, "It's crazy, I know. But somehow I think you're right, Harry. Voldemort is out there, somewhere. His Death Eaters will make their move soon. You need to know what I know, and this is the quickest way."

Harry couldn't think of anything to say to that. If David wanted to share his knowledge of these abilities and techniques that he knew, that could only be a good thing, right? But still, this sounded…dangerous? Intrusive? Harry did not like the idea of his mind being read, even if it was for his benefit.

David turned around to face him, "If this all sounds a bit surreal, I don't blame ya. I'm just throwing this idea out there. But we're both Gryffindors, mate. We act first and ask questions later, we dare to go where no one else will, we do what needs to be done."

"Alright," Harry said quietly, a fierce determination in his eyes, "Let's do it."


-->