Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Wand of Ravenclaw by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Wand of Ravenclaw

Wizardora

Chapter 11 - Fleur's Wedding and a Funeral

The next few days were some of the most strained Harry had ever experienced. He and Hermione would go to the Burrow straight after breakfast and not leave until late into the night. Each visit was like a carbon copy of the last; long, sombre silences where few words were spoken, visits by relatives and well-wishers come to pay their respects, awkward conversations and a lot of tears.

It was during these days that Harry came to realise just how much he appreciated Hermione, feeling more attached to her with each visit, something he hadn't had thought possible prior to this. They were together in their feelings, both considering themselves separate from the grief of the Weasley's and clinging close to each other in response to this. They would sit side by side around the Weasley's fireplace as the family recounted stories of Charlie and vaunted his virtues, an exercise Harry couldn't understand as it just led to one or more members of the family breaking down with the pain of it all.

The only part Harry could attribute anything positive to was that he could put his arm around Hermione or hold her hand and it would seem like they were just comforting each other. His sentiment here was, he accepted, selfish but he had his own emotional investment to be concerned with. Besides, with each tale of Charlie, Harry couldn't help but think back to Hermione's words and replace Charlie with her. He tried hard to not imagine similar scenes with Hermione as the victim, but she had crept so surreptitiously close to his heart that he couldn't help it. The thought of sharing stories about her life and mourning her death struck Harry so far to the core that he thought he was experiencing a sense of theoretical loss close to the actual grief the Weasley family were enduring.

After a couple of days of constant visits to the Burrow, Ron actually started talking to Hermione with a creditable degree of civility. Harry felt a sense of gratitude towards him that he was taking considerable pains to bridge the gulf that was threatening to open up between them. Hermione received his efforts with somewhat guarded gratuity herself, as if she suspected they were false. Harry thought she was being a little harsh and told her so.

`And don't think I'm taking his side, because I'm not,' he added to her. `I just think he is honestly trying. Don't you think he deserves a chance?'

`He doesn't deserve one, no,' Hermione replied. `Not after the way he spoke to me. But I am giving him a chance. It's a last chance, though. If he upsets me again, that's it. We're finished. Then you have to choose.'

`Choose what?'

`Between me and Ron,' said Hermione simply.

`Well,' said Harry thoughtfully. `I think I'd have to go with you. Ron doesn't shave very well and his stubble might tickle if I kiss him. Then again, your stubble tickles me sometimes. Yeah - I think it'd better be you.'

`Oi!' said Hermione as she made for Harry's ribs. `I'll give you tickling!'

`Is that a promise?' said Harry in his best impersonation of a sultry voice.

`Maybe later, if you're lucky,' said Hermione as she turned back to collecting dishes from the dresser. It was nearly dark at the Burrow and Hermione and volunteered her and Harry to make dinner for the family, as Mrs Weasley seemed so fatigued. Harry had a sneaking suspicion that Hermione had a dual motivation for offering to cook and getting Harry alone was the chief priority. If they made food in the meantime it was just a bonus.

`I'm serious about Ron, though,' said Harry, adding cutlery to Hermione's plate laying. `Everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. If we don't forgive we become as bad as those black hearted scum we're trying to fight.'

`I didn't know they taught philosophy at Hogwarts,' said Hermione sardonically. `I'll have to complain to McGonagall about not offering it to me.'

`You're funny,' said Harry. `You should be on the stage. I think there's one leaving soon!'

`Ho ho ho,' said Hermione.

`Sorry, but you don't make a very good Father Christmas,' said Harry.

`I'll take that as a compliment, meaning I'm not fat,' said Hermione. `Anyway, you're right about the forgiving thing. I forgave you after all.'

`For what?'

`For staying away from me for so long,' said Hermione. `For all your dalliances with other girls when you could have been giving me a chance.'

`Ah, you had my dalliances in mind,' said Harry. `Now I understand the `ho, ho, ho'. Anyone particular in mind?'

`Take your pick,' said Hermione sharply.

`Me-ow!' said Harry mimicking a cat. `Speaking of which, do you think it's hygienic to cook with Crookshanks in here?'

The bandy legged cat stopped circling Harry's legs and eyed him mutinously.

`Crookshanks isn't diseased, are you Crookshanks?' said Hermione scooping her cat into her arms.

`I'm sure he isn't,' said Harry. `But if I get any ginger hairs in my food you and I will be swapping plates!'

`How romantic!' cried Hermione. `I have missed Crookshanks, though. Would it be okay to take him back home with us tonight?'

`We'll be like a real family then,' Harry teased as he smoothed Crookshanks. `Yeah, why not. He'll bring some colour to the place if nothing else.'

Harry and Hermione were joined by the Weasley's for dinner later. As usual there was very little conversation, aside from the odd compliment on the food. Once all the plates had been cleared most of the family removed themselves back to the living room. Harry, however, went into the garden for some air and to shake off the depression which always descended on him when the grief of the others got too much. He was surprised to find himself presently joined in the garden by Fleur.

`Ello, `Arry,' she said. `Zat was a vury nice deener. I must compliment you.'

`It was mostly Hermione,' he replied. `I didn't do much.'

`You seem vury close, you and `Er-my-o-nee,' said Fleur. `It is obvious zat you `ave great affection for each uzzer.'

`Is it?' said Harry, thinking worriedly about Ron.

`Oh yes,' said Fleur. `I zink it is wonderful. Zat anyone can be `appy at a time such as zis - it is so good to see.'

Harry was hit by a thunderbolt of understanding. In all the time that everyone was grieving over Charlie's death it seemed as though all thoughts of the wedding of Fleur and Bill had been forgotten.

`Of course,' said Harry. `The wedding was supposed to be soon. Has it been put off?'

`I do not know,' said Fleur sadly. `Bill az not said anyzing, and I do not want to mention it. It is a difficult time.'

`I'm sorry,' said Harry. `It must be hard for you, too. I bet you don't get much consideration in all this.'

`You are so lovely, `Arry,' said Fleur in her seductive French tones. `But dere is no need to feel sorry for me, not for something like dis. Bill is to be my husband and I love him, our marriage will wait while he grieves.'

Harry felt a pang of pity for Fleur so strong it reminded him of the time when he met Luna Lovegood looking for her stolen possessions. He felt angry that she should be excluded; she was to be part of the family after all.

`You shouldn't feel like an outsider,' said Harry. `Not like me and Hermione do. Bill is your fiancé; this is going to be your family. They shouldn't keep you out.'

`I cannot intrude,' said Fleur. `The boys are okay with me, and Molly is better than she was. Some people want to keep me far away though.'

Harry's anger boiled. He knew, of course, to whom Fleur was referring.

`I wouldn't pay her any attention,' said Harry angrily. `She's just a petty brat when something isn't to her liking. Ignore her, that's the best way.'

`I try,' said Fleur sounding pitiful. `But she calls me a name. I do not know what zis means but it cannot be nice.'

`Listen to me,' said Harry forcefully. `She is the one who isn't nice. You're great, you really are. Bill knows how lucky he is, I'm sure of it. And if you're good enough for him you should be good enough for the rest of them. Don't be afraid to offer you're support, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.'

`Thank you, `Arry,' said Fleur. She stood up, for they had been sitting on the wall facing the kitchen, and kissed Harry on the cheek. `Er-my-o-nee is one lucky girl to `ave you.'

With that she swept away from him and into the house. Harry was about to follow her inside when he was called from the other side of the garden. He followed the voice to find Bill standing in a shrubbery smoking a long pipe.

`Mum doesn't like it,' said Bill holding the pipe up. `I gave it up years ago but I needed some to calm me down after what's happened.'

`I can imagine,' said Harry.

`I saw you talking with Fleur,' said Bill blowing smoke rings into the chilly night air. `Not trying to steal my fiancé, are you?'

`Like I could,' said Harry glad to see the joking look on Bill's face. `But, if you don't mind me saying, I think you could do with paying her a bit more attention.'

`Excuse me?'

`I know you've lost your brother,' said Harry unabashed by Bill's accusing tone, `but you do have a fiancé who loves you very much and who is grieving too. She needs you, needs to feel she can support you. What she doesn't need is to feel excluded by a family she has tried damned hard to make love her as I know you do. And they are efforts falling on deaf ears. You could spare a little of your time on her, despite how difficult this time is for all of you.'

Bill considered Harry as if seeing him properly for the first time. `You're growing into a wise man, Harry. Dumbledore would be proud of you. I hadn't thought of it like that. I've been a terrible partner, haven't I?'

`No, you've lost a brother to Voldemort,' said Harry. `You've got an excuse, but it goes only so far.'

`Did she tell you this, Fleur?' said Bill. `Did she say she's unhappy?'

`You have lost a brother, how else do you think she's going to feel?' said Harry.

`I meant with me, is she unhappy about that?'

`I don't think I'm the one you should be asking these questions to,' said Harry.

`But I am,' said Bill. `Please, Harry?'

`No, she isn't unhappy,' said Harry. `But she has prepared for a wedding that she isn't sure her fiancé wants to go through with any time soon. And she can't say anything to you because she thinks it will make her look selfish.'

`Why hasn't she said any of this to me?'

`She shouldn't have to, should she?' said Harry. `I'm going to go back inside. Just consider this - as much as your family is hurting they can cling to each other for support. Fleur only has you. Spare some of yourself for her.'

Satisfied at having said his piece, Harry made his way back indoors. He found Hermione washing dishes in the sink, walked up behind her and slid his arms around her waist. He used his chin to brush Hermione's hair behind her ear and rested his head in the crook of her neck.

`Do you think that's a good idea?' said Hermione, backing into him.

`Do you think I care?' Harry replied, gently kissing Hermione's neck. He felt a shiver run through her skin and goose bumps popped up against his cheek.

`Harry,' said Hermione breathlessly. `Don't do that.'

`I'm sorry,' said Harry. `What did I do wrong?'

`Nothing, that's the problem,' said Hermione smiling. `Just don't kiss me there. I'm really sensitive on my neck. The slightest touch and I go nuts. It's hardly appropriate.'

`Really sensitive, eh?' said Harry mischievously. `I'll keep that in mind.'

`You'd better,' said Hermione turning round. She looked around before giving him a quick kiss and moving away. Harry noticed she seemed to be almost skipping, a sight he found very odd indeed.

`Well at least I know the real reason we broke up,' said a voice from the doorway. Harry looked up to see Ginny standing there looking furious.

`That wasn't why we broke up, but if it makes you feel better believe it by all means,' said Harry, matching her angry tone with one of his own.

`You could have just said,' said Ginny fiercely, `instead of lying to me. You could have just been honest about liking someone else.'

`I hadn't realised it myself then,' said Harry. `I've got you to thank, really. If you hadn't been so horrid to me then I might not have wanted to leave here in the first place. Then Hermione wouldn't have come to me and I might never have worked it out.'

`Funny how you can be so easy breaking up your best friend's relationship,' said Ginny. `I would never have thought you were so selfish.'

`That's rich coming from you,' said Harry. `Dean Thomas was just another notch on your bedpost, I suppose. I think we're mixing up the easy one out of you and me.'

Ginny fumed and Harry could almost sense the rage coming off her so acted first.

`Don't even think about hexing me,' said Harry, who felt for his own wand in any case. `You may impress everyone with that little Bat-Bogey Hex of yours but I'm preparing an arsenal of weapons to fight Voldemort with. If you want to compare spell strength I'm all for it. But I have some tissues to wipe up those flying boogies you like to conjure.'

`I hope you wouldn't seriously curse my sister,' said Ron who had entered the kitchen after hearing the commotion. `I can forgive you for breaking up with her but I'm not too sure about breaking her nose.'

`Yeah, do you think you could take us both?' said Ginny arrogantly.

Ron snapped towards her. `Shut up, Ginny! Harry could probably take us both but I wouldn't even try. I wouldn't want to fight him.'

`But he broke you and Hermione up,' said Ginny, a trace of desperation in her voice. `Doesn't that make you mad?'

`Harry didn't break us up,' said Ron. `Me and Hermione were responsible for that. We weren't right for each other and we would have come apart sooner or later. We didn't need anyone's help to do that.'

Ginny looked stumped. She clearly hadn't counted on this response.

`Besides,' Ron continued. `If you did manage to do anything to Harry do you think Hermione wouldn't react? She's the only person whose power can compare to Harry's and there's an old saying about a woman scorned. Hermione could hex you to bits.'

`Aaargh, Ron! Sometimes I just can't believe you! I can't believe you!' said Ginny angrily before turning on her heel and storming out.

`Sorry about that,' said Ron. `You know what she's like. She'll get over it - no offence or anything.'

`None taken,' said Harry smirking. `I wouldn't really have cursed her, you know.'

`I know,' said Ron. `Though I could've understood if you had.'

For the first time in what Harry deeply realised was ages, they laughed together. Harry was shocked by how much he had missed it.

`So,' said Ron looking shrewd. `You and Hermione, eh?'

`Just a little,' said Harry grinning back.

`Good for you, mate,' said Ron.

`You mean that?' said Harry. `I thought you'd be mad.'

`Nah,' said Ron waving his hand. `I've had a lot of time to stew. Me and her weren't right, dunno why. There was just something missing, something you and her have obviously got. I've been watching you, seeing how you look at each other. We didn't have that. I always thought there was something between you and I often wondered why you hadn't given it a go.'

`You should have said something to me, opened my eyes a bit sooner,' said Harry.

`Yeah, maybe. You are a bit blind when it comes to this sort of thing. But I'm over it; I was more angry that I'd lost her than anything. I treated her a bit like a possession but I've had a lot of time on my own since you've been gone and I've woken up to myself. I've, um, been a bit lonely to be honest. Then you and Hermione tell me stories about going after Horcruxes and stuff and I realised I've been an idiot. I really want to make it up to Hermione. Do you think she'll let me?'

`You'll have to work hard,' said Harry. `You really hurt her with some of the things you said. She doesn't always let it show but she's really sensitive. She feels insults really badly.'

`I will make it up to her,' said Ron. `If it takes me ten years I'll do it. Can I ask you a question?'

`Since when have you had to ask if you can ask a question?'

`I was just checking,' said Ron. `I just want to ask if I can come with you when you find the next Horcrux?'

`If that's what you want I won't say no,' said Harry. `I think I could use all the help I can get to destroy them. Besides, I don't want Hermione to do all the dirty work alone. I already feel really guilty about what I made her do with the last one. I know I couldn't have done it to her.'

`I bet she doesn't blame you,' said Ron. `She wouldn't look at you with those puppy dog eyes if she did!'

`Shut up!' said Harry, grinning.

* * *

Charlie was buried in a quiet ceremony at the end of the week in the cemetery just outside the village. Mr Weasley stood up to deliver the eulogy, something Harry thought was very brave considering he had barely spoken for a week, and he was buried with enchantments for a safe passage into the next world. Harry found this part very uncomfortable; he had considered in fleeting moments the nature of life after death, especially after his chat with Nearly Headless Nick after Sirius had died, and he wondered morbidly about the nature of it all.

He and Hermione left the cemetery hand in hand next to Ron and the twins. The latter strode on ahead leaving the three left to walk on in silence.

`Strange, isn't it?' said Ron, more to himself than anyone. `It happened days ago but it only feels like he's gone now. Isn't that weird?'

`It's the finality of the ceremony,' said Hermione. `It's a last chance to say goodbye. After that, the healing process can begin.'

`I suppose,' said Ron doubtfully. He looked closer to tears than Harry had ever seen him since he had arrived with Hagrid that night. `At least there's some good news on the horizon.'

`What?' asked Harry.

`Fleur and Bill are going to go ahead with the wedding,' said Ron. `They had a chat with mum last night and they agreed it was what Charlie would have wanted. Bit weird, I think, but its happening.'

It was true. After the wake the next few days saw a slow return to a passable impression of normality. Mrs Weasley, who Harry reckoned was compensating for her grief over Charlie by throwing herself back into the wedding plans, busied herself with the catering arrangements while Fleur concentrated on her dress and flowers and Bill sent owls to all the guests who had been invited to tell them it was going ahead.

Harry and Hermione were spending less time at the Burrow and more time at Grimmauld Place, where Ron was a daily visitor. There spent most of their time poring over the list of spells Dumbledore had created, testing them on each other, and also planning for the last of the Horcrux hunts.

`The way I see it,' said Harry, `three of the Horcruxes are down. The diary, the ring and something that belonged to Gryffindor. That leaves the locket, the cup and the snake.'

`But didn't that note say the locket had been destroyed?' asked Ron.

`I'm not going to take that chance,' said Harry. `That ring nearly killed Dumbledore, who was more powerful than any wizard going. Whoever this R.A.B person is we have to track them down and make sure the locket is gone, or destroy that ourselves. Now, Voldemort's snake goes everywhere with him and at some stage he and I are going to meet again. At that battle the snake will be destroyed before I finish the rest of Voldemort. That means we are looking for the cup or who this R.A.B person is. Hermione I think that is your area of expertise.'

`I'll do my best,' said Hermione. `But I might need the Hogwarts library.'

`McGonagall said we can come and go as we please,' said Harry. `That isn't a problem. Finding the cup will be trickier, but Voldemort first found it working at Borgin and Burkes that might be a good place to start.'

`I don't think they'll give up information like that very easily,' said Ron.

`Look, if Draco bloody Malfoy can bully Borgin I'm pretty sure I can scare seven shades of shite out of him!' said Harry passionately.

They were all plans for the future, though, for attending the wedding came first and Harry placed a high priority on the event. The day came, two weeks after Charlie had been buried, and the ceremony was held in the field outside the Burrow. A huge marquee had been erected the size of a football field and was filled with over a hundred circular tables, a stage, a bar and a dance floor. Everything was white, from the tablecloths to the seat cushions, and it was a dazzling sight, not least because of the thousands of live fairies clustered at the top of the marquee.

The ceremony itself was conducted at the top of Stoatshead Hill. A small stage had been set up along with seats for the guests. The minister arrived and beckoned Bill towards him. Not long after, Ginny, looking grumpy, and Fleur's sister, Gabrielle, who beamed at everyone and waved madly at Harry when she caught his eye, came walking down the aisle scattering handfuls of red and white rose petals. Once they were seated the wedding march was struck up and Fleur, accompanied by her father, made her way to the front. She looked stunning in a flowing gown which glittered and twinkled in the early morning sunlight. Harry took one look at her father at realised right away that it wasn't from him that Fleur had received her breathtaking looks.

Harry found himself quite surprised at how boring the wedding ceremony actually was. As soon as the minister started talking Harry found his attention wandering. Gabrielle looked around at him occasionally and waved, reminding Harry poignantly of Ginny when she was younger and star struck by him. The rest of Fleur's family seemed a pretty rigid bunch and Harry fancied that Fleur's initial fastidious personality traits had descended from several generations of French wizards who seemed to think a little too much of themselves.

All in all Harry was glad when the minister pronounced Bill and Fleur man and wife. He was surprised that the minister hadn't invited Bill to kiss his bride, but then remembered he wasn't watching a Hollywood movie. Row by row the congregation followed Bill and Fleur from the top of Stoatshead Hill back towards the Burrow, where most of the guests who weren't invited to the ceremony had now arrived. Ron parted with Harry and Hermione at the entrance to the marquee, as all the family were seated together, and Harry found their places on a little map just inside the huge tent.

`Right at the front,' he said to Hermione, reading from the map. `Look! We're sat with Neville and Luna. I didn't even know they'd been invited.'

`Looks like half the Wizarding community has been,' said Hermione, indicating the massed seats. `Come on lets get there before it gets too congested.'

They weaved their way through the crowd and found their table. It was right at the front next to an aisle separating the marquee in two. Harry, being a gentleman, held Hermione's seat for her, but banged it too hard into her legs as he pushed it in, causing her to collapse into it.

`Sorry,' he said, trying not to laugh.

`It's your first time, so I'll forgive you,' said Hermione rubbing behind her knee. `Just be a bit gentler next time.'

Harry sat down and picked up a bottle of wine from the centre of the table.

`I've never had wine before, not really anyway,' said Harry.

`What do you mean?'

`Well, I snuck some from the Dursleys one Christmas,' said Harry. `Just to try, you know. I didn't like it much.'

Despite this recollection Harry poured full glasses for himself and Hermione. He sipped at his, mimicking Hermione, and found that the taste wasn't at all as bad as he remembered.

`That's not bad, is it?' said Harry, sipping larger amounts.

`No, it's quite nice,' Hermione replied. `Just don't go getting drunk now.'

`Why? Be too tempted to take advantage of me, would you?' Harry teased.

`That's a thought,' said Hermione mischievously. `More?'

Before Harry could answer a dreamy voice floated over to them. Luna had arrived with Neville in tow.

`Hello,' she said. `I thought I'd find Neville before coming to sit down. He does get a bit backwards at things sometimes.'

Harry, as always, was alarmed at Luna's complete ease with speaking uncomfortable truths. In this case, though, he thought she might have been right in her actions.

`Hi,' said Hermione brightly. `Have you both come on your own?'

`Oh no,' said Neville, who was wearing an odd black shirt and green tie combination. `Gran's over there with some of the, er, senior people. They all seemed to have been grouped together.'

`And Dad's with some people from the Daily Prophet,' said Luna. `They'll have good fun chatting about the latest news on the fire-breathing Elbelows spotted near Cornwall.'

Hermione raised her eyebrows but seemed to concede there was little point in arguing with Luna. Harry noticed she looked rather pretty in a forget-me-not blue dress with matching sparkly shoes. She seemed to be wearing her hair differently too and Harry thought she looked much more normal for it. The four of them talked about what they had been doing since the end of school, Harry and Hermione lying so much that it was a surprise their noses didn't grow a foot or two, and Luna told them all about the new regime at Hogwarts.

`It isn't really the same, you know,' she said dreamily. `It's all about work and there's hardly any fun. They've stopped Quidditch, because it isn't safe for the players to be out late training, and there won't be any Hogsmeade trips until the war is over.'

`Have many people gone back?' asked Harry swallowing a potato, as the meals had been served by this time.

`Not many,' said Luna. `There aren't any Slytherins at all. But they are all evil, aren't they? Most Gryffindors seem to be back and about half from the other houses, but the school does feel rather empty. It's more lonely than usual.'

Harry again felt sorry for Luna, imagining her wandering the halls of Hogwarts alone but for the taunts and people stealing her things. She seemed cheery enough, though, but Harry couldn't help feeling that was just her way and pitying her even more because of it.

The wine, Harry noticed, was having an unusual effect on him. He had never in his life been anywhere near drunk but by the time he had polished off his chocolate pudding he fancied himself quite close to it. Everything seemed warm, especially his head, and the world seemed to wobble if he moved too sharply. And, which was the most alarming aspect, he was giggling. Giggling like a crazy person. But he wasn't the only one. Their entire table was in fits of laughter over what some deep and impenetrable part of Harry's brain knew was ridiculous. He, Hermione and Neville could blame the wine but Luna was just mad that way naturally.

After the speeches, during which Bill's best man entertained them all with embarrassing tales from their childhood, husband and wife took to the dance floor. The band struck up their number and Bill and Fleur began some crazy jive to the music. They were soon joined by the best man and his wife, Mr and Mrs Weasley, several other couples Harry didn't know and George with a girl Harry recognised as Verity, the girl from the twins' joke shop.

`Let's all go and dance,' said Harry. `It'll be a laugh.'

`I'm not dancing, said Hermione flatly.

`You owe me a dance from three years ago,' said Harry. `Besides, if you'll dance with Victor Krum you can dance with me. Come on.'

Harry grabbed Hermione by the wrist and dragged her to the floor, where Neville and Luna joined them. They stayed there for ages, number after number, while others came and went. After a time they were joined by Ron, who looked as worse for wear as Harry felt.

`Mind if I - hic - join you?' he said ambling over.

`Are you sure you can stand up?' asked Harry.

`What? Oh yeah, s'no problem, s'no problem,' said Ron. `Strong stuff that Firewhiskey. Oh, hello Luna, you a'right?'

`Yes, thank you,' said Luna serenely. `Dad says too much Firewhiskey can make your face explode.'

Ron looked horrified and starting grabbing his face. He looked at Hermione who shook her head. Ron calmed down and turned back to Luna.

`You're funny, you know?' he said. `You make me laugh like you wouldn't believe. Do some commentary again, like we're at Quidditch.'

An odd thought struck Harry as he watched Ron talking to Luna. As quickly as it arrived it filtered away from his mind as impossible. But there was something about the way Ron was looking at Luna, not only because he didn't seem able to keep his eyes on her face. Hermione noticed this too.

`Pure class, isn't he?' she called over the music. `You know, in some countries that's not legal.'

`I'm not sure it is here,' said Harry. `Is she sixteen yet?'

`I'm not sure,' said Hermione anxiously.

`You're lucky I'm a gentleman,' said Harry. `Because I could do that to you. Have I told you how amazing you look in that dress?'

`No, but the wine you've drunk just did,' said Hermione, laughing and blushing at the same time. `You look pretty gorgeous yourself. Those dress robes bring out your eyes really nicely. I've been having Yule Ball flashbacks all day.'

`Why? You weren't with me,' said Harry.

`My eyes were though,' said Hermione. `And they had a great time.'

Harry pulled her to him and kissed her. Their lips locked firmly but gently, slowly massaging each other in time to the music. Harry could hear distant whooping but was oblivious of it all, his mind only on Hermione's lips and the patterns her hand was tracing through his hair.

`I didn't know you two were together,' said Luna.

`Me either,' said Neville, who looked shocked. `You kept that one quiet, Harry.'

`Well I haven't been in school, have I,' said Harry. `This has all happened in the summer.'

`But what about you and Ron's sister?' said Luna, patently awkward in all her words. `Weren't you going out?'

`That ended at Dumbledore's funeral,' Harry explained.

`That wasn't very nice,' Luna mused. `You could have chosen lots of nicer times to do it.'

`So is she available then, Ginny?' said Neville, sounding slightly hopeful.

`Yeah, but I wouldn't bother,' said Harry. `She's more trouble than she's worth.'

`Intoxico!' yelled Hermione suddenly. Harry looked to her and saw her wand out pointing behind him. He turned just in time to see the end of Ginny performing a wild pirouette to the floor. She was holding an empty wine glass in her hand.

`You know,' said Luna distantly. `I think she was going to hit you with that. I said you should have finished were her nicely.'

`Was that one of the new spells we've been looking at?' Harry asked Hermione. `What did it do?'

`It was the Light-Head Charm,' explained Hermione. `And, as it says, it makes you light headed. Only I think Ginny might have been sneaking a bit of wine and was a bit dizzy already.'

`Nice effect though,' said Harry. `But I think we should leave the dance floor for a bit. People are starting to stare.'

Harry led the way back to their seats and soon after the others followed along with Ron. They sat and chatted, drank more wine and even some Firewhiskey Ron insisted they had. Harry didn't like it; it burned in his throat and he thought there was a realistic chance of him actually breathing fire, though this didn't come to fruition.

It was quite a while later in the evening, when they had danced some more but had sat down again in a state of near exhaustion, that the drunken ramble Harry had been expecting from Ron finally arrived. Their table was now cluttered with a collection of both empty and half-empty wine and shot glasses and several bottles of Butterbeer. There was a lull in the conversation when Harry's fears were realised.

`You know,' Ron was saying to Luna, `this is a - hic - hard time for me to talk. And it's hard for me to talk at a time like this - hic - he was my brother, you know, and I loved him very much. It isn't - hic - easy for me to say stuff like this. And I didn't say it to him at all. To Charlie!'

Ron raised his glass and gave a phantom toast to the table, spilling half his drink all over the place.

`It's never easy when you lose someone,' said Luna serenely. `I still feel sad about my mum sometimes. But I know I'll see her again when I die.'

`You know what?' said Ron. `You're mad! You might even say "Loony"! Ha, Ha!'

`I don't like being called that,' said Luna as though thinking aloud.

`I don't mean it in a bad way,' said Ron loudly. `I think it's brilliant. You have all these mad ideas and think they are real. It's cute.'

Luna looked more surprised than usual.

`You think I'm cute?' she asked sheepishly.

`Well, in that dress you look more than cute, but your crazy ideas are cute, yeah,' said Ron.

For the first time Harry could remember, Luna actually looked a little flustered and embarrassed. Ron was casting his head randomly around the room. After resting for a few moments on the dance floor he turned back to Luna and said, in a highly drunk and slurring voice,

`Hey Luna, do you wanna dance with me? I feel like a dance.'

If Harry was ashamed at the manner of Ron's drunken invitation then he was positively gob smacked at Luna's response.

`Yes, alright. Just please try not to step on my toes, you do have rather large feet.'

As Luna was yanked to her feet by Ron, Harry caught a glimpse of her bizarre earrings. They were circular and hung close to her ear lobes and seemed to be filled with what looked like liquid metal. Harry chortled to himself; it just wouldn't be Luna without at least one aspect of oddity.

`Isn't that funny?' Hermione whispered in Harry's ear. `Ron and Luna? You don't think…'

`Nah, not possible,' said Harry.

But on a second look he wasn't quite so sure.

For Ron and Luna were holding each other very close as they slow danced. True, they weren't the most graceful of the half dozen or so couples rotating around the floor, but Harry wouldn't have expected them to be. Despite this there was some unmistakable chemistry between them.

`I think we should add that to our list of things to do,' said Hermione.

`What?'

`Pair those two up,' said Hermione.

`Fancy yourself as a cupid, do you?' asked Harry. `I know sometimes your wear wings Hermione but I've never seen them on your back.'

`Harry, that's vile,' said Hermione, tutting. `But don't you think that's a good idea?'

`Oh yeah,' he cried. `Because we've been so good in the romance department ourselves!'

`We got together in the end,' Hermione pointed out. `Yes, we took a few wrong turns between us but it all worked out rather nicely.'

`Talking about working out,' said Harry, nodding at the dance floor. `Ron's tongue must be getting pretty strong.'

`Poor Luna,' said Hermione sadly. `Ron's technique isn't particularly refined.'

`Maybe he just had a bad teacher,' Harry teased.

`You think so?' said Hermione. `Get your cloak, Harry, we're leaving.'

`What have I said wrong?' he asked.

`Nothing,' said Hermione, looking shrewd. `But I just want to get you home, show you just how good a teacher I can be.'

Harry gulped, grabbed his cloak and was Apparating home before he could even form the words `raging hormones'. In a way he felt quite deviant; after all, it didn't say much for him that he was looking forward to being taken advantage of in his drunken state. But there was a little part of him, the competitive side, that was relishing Hermione's `lessons'. After all, Harry thought, anything Ron can do…


-->